Supersize Kids

Comments

• i'd ban it altogether. Dodge would be heartbroken, but other than that it would be a move for the better.
  • I haven't got one at the moment. And well I need it only for olympic games, love looking cross country skiing, watching marathons, or cross country running.

Well I love watching some sports, but I prefer doing them.
  • I still say it's a form of child abuse and the parents should at the very least get a rollocking from the dr's.

• its not the parents' fault. its genes, TV, schools and society in general. but not the parents.
  • A lot of people in society like to play the victim....they don't want to take any responsibility for what happens to them. But if you grow up in an environment that tells you its not your fault, watch lots of TV with ads saying eat this s**t (shame on Asda and that Sharon Osbourne offering) and have no support for getting educated, you'll pass all that onto your sprogs as well.

However, our society needs to take responsibility for the fact that some people never have a chance to be the best they could be. We are a me-me society and we s**t on chavs and we s**t on people in the 3rd world. Its fine talking about it but who here would actually take action????
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Candy - you don't think you've got a chav obsession do you ? I know plenty of fat people that are well educated and well off.
  • but if they get fat on pate fois gras and fine wine they are not part of the subclass that overweight people obviously become

perhaps we should ask the govenrment to lock them up in camps and starve them till they become nutition experts like the rest of us

oh dear, im intelligent and know about healthy diet and im overweight ..wonder how that could happen

• popsider - was referring to the woman on the TV programme last night specifically. she gave the kid a trifle or something, then said that they were fat due to genetics. my only point was that sasjeh's suggestion of offering them education wouldnt help.

similarly, 'dieters'. my mother is a morbidly obese tub of lard. she understands healthy eating, but over the years has got herself into a state of almost-permanent food hysteria. chocalate and sweets are more than 'treats', they are an obsession. she is always dieting 'from monday', in which case she stuffs her face with chocolate before her diet starts, or she is on a diet, but she slipped and ate a chocolate bar so now she 'feels low', and is eating chocolate to comfort herself. too huge lies of the diet/food industry in operation here. 1) chocolate etc are 'treats' 'pleasure' 'comfort' that people on diets should deny themselves. this inevitably just leads to cravings. 2) "will power". to dieters, this is an external attribute. my mother thinks some people are given willpower like others are given long legs, or blonde hair. ie it isn't her fault if she eats, its her willpower's.

my only point there is that she KNOWS how to cook. she knows whats healthy. her doctor has told her she'll be dead within 5 years, and she needs an operation but cant have it until she loses weight. yet still she eats shit continually.

so there's two classes of people who cookery classes wont help. chavs and dieters.

normal people who happen to be overweight, already have the wherewithall to change if they need to. but these other categories wont change voluntarily.... actually, stomach stapling is probably the best solution for them. it would be the only thing to stop my ma eating herself to death.
  • candy

OMG

I totally understand the diet thing-and thats why i acept my 3 spare stone-i dread that trap

Its a very unhappy place
  • there are psychological issues to address

it isnt just education
  • i don't understand where she thinks my "willpower" comes from, since my mother, father, and brother allegedly don't have it but i was apparently gifted with plenty to spare. maybe its a recessive gene - or maybe its from the milkman? questions need to be asked.
  • willpower is not the point either

it isnt always about that

sorry, too serious, but i thik I might understand this one

i have the willpower to finish ultras

but

anyway

im off to bed

give your mum a big hug
    xxx
  • willpower doesn't exist. not in the context that dieters believe it does. ie as a valid reason not to delay gratification.
  • I think perhaps a lot of it has to do with the kind of lifestyle you lead, for example,someone who runs will have a better understanding of the kind of foods which are good or bad for you because it is in thier interest to do so.

I agree with you Candy that a lot of people seem to get into a rut in which they almost pursuade themselves they'll always be like that, and look for someone to blame. What really suprised me was the teenager's lack of understanding about nutrition etc and her refence to health farms. She seemed to be mocking her father for thinking doing excersise and eating less would help her lose weight - her mum didnt help by pretty much pursuading her to blame her genetics not the crap she'd been fed throughout her life!

(haven't read the whole of this thread so i do apologize if i'm repeating what's been said!)
  • I wonder if anyone else thought that although much of what Helen's father said was true, and he presented superficially as utterly caring and reasonable, he had an unpleasantly patronising manner and I wonder if, during ordinary family life when the cameras weren't rolling, he was heavily controlling and used manipulation and emotional abuse. That can lead partners and offspring to seek comfort in self-destructive activities like overeating. And could have explained why Helen's mother was making silly irrational comments to him like "everything in moderation".

I think there's a lot more to that situation than lack of willpower and bad food choices. Nobody can get THAT fat just because they don't know how to read food labels (in fact, it would probably be possible to prove, statistically, that food labelling causes obesity).

Must admit, though, when Helen's parents were arguing and the camera focused on Helen's face and the little cow looked as if she was ENJOYING it...oh, how my hand itched to give her a slap!
  • here here Vrap!
    I think i see where you are coming from, and in that case the break down in her parents relationship might well have had a big effect on her eating.

However, there are some people I think who don't really have anything to 'blame' as such, and just eat far too much. To some extent we all use food as an 'escape' - i'm first to reach for the chocolate during exam time! I suppose it's knowing when to stop that people should be more aware of. 'Everything in moderation' is v.true - but their ideas of moderation are VERY different to most people's i should think, and it seemed they were not really aware of this.
  • I never said that offering them education would help. They need to want it for themselves (the education if they don't know about healthy foods, and they really need to want to loose weight).

I see it at home too. My parents know what is healthy and my sister too. But my mum thinks that if you eat healthy, you can eat as much as you want. My dad loves food and doesn't want to give it up (he eats to much in restaurants, it's not the fast food). My sister is an emotional eater. It's not she loves food to much or is hungry all the time. She eats, because she has lots of stress, doesn't feel good about herself.

I was an emotional eater. And I ate out of boredom. I've now more control, but I still have times where it gets out of control (like when I have exams).
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    Am at work so this one will be a short message. I'm pleased this is still a constructive debate.

One of the things that Helen's mother said about the surgery was that it was just a 'Tool' to help in losing weight.

The thing about Tools is, they're there to do a job and then you put them away until you need them again. With surgery, it's slightly more permanent and you can't just 'flip a switch' to allow you to eat more on special occasions.

I only noticed the comment because when I speak to people about Weight Management plans, I always say they should treat it as a toolbox for fixing that part of their life, in the same way that a carpenter would have a toolbox to help them do their job.
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    I do always stress though that any Weight Management plan is for life, not just for post-Christmas ;O)
  • i think it depends how much you want to be fit, and whether you care. when i stop training it takes me about 2 and a half years to put 6 or 7 stone on, and about 18 months to take it off again. i could take it off at any point, but i know its a big effort, and 18 months seems like a long time at the start of it, so i leave it until as late as possible (until my 44 trousers no longer fit!). going from obese slob to fit person is both easy, and hard. even as an obese slob i don't eat chocolate due to human rights and slavery issues (apologies, pauline fans!), but i do like to stuff myself with lots of other unhealthy crap, and booze and fags.

i've done it twice, once in my late teens when i stopped training due to an anterior cruciate ligament injury, once in mid-20s due to driving a motorbike through a wall.

hopefully i wont get injured again - i've given all my 44 waist trousers to the charity shop!
  • i think that weighing yourself is the problem. i say "6 or 7 stones" but that's just a guess, its the difference between 30 waist and 44+ waist, or between slim and enormous. i'd guess i'm around 12 stones when i plateau in fit mode, around 18 or 19 in slob mode.

but when i decide to not be a slob, it has to be a change forever. not a diet. if you're on a diet, you're denying yourself things, and changing your activities for a short time, to lose weight and look different. that only leads to scale checking and being disheartened. its what my mum does.

i never get weighed, but when i exit slob mode, i train a lot and eat healthily and cut down on booze and stop smoking (unless completely pissed) forever. all those things, forever. and i dont check progress (other than running times), i just buy new clothes when the other ones get too big.

i'm probably telling you nothing you dont know anyway though.

and as soon as i get put out of action for a few months i'll flip into slob mode anyway!
  • This is my first post.

There are many factors as to why people are overweight.

I think that modern life, lack of exercise, lack of willpower, are all components.
    But one issue which hasn't be factored in is rationing.
    I was talking to my parents recently and they grew up during the rationing era (1940/50's)
    and very few people from their generation are/were overweight.
    They ate but not to excess because food was rationed.
    They also did not have todays conveniences such as cars, escalators etc.

I think that people need to be educated that there bodies require only certain amounts of fuel (food) and that there bodies are required to move without the aid of cars, escalators each and every time.
    This would be a start.
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    EP - do you think maybe your obsession has transferred over to running? Maybe we all have an 'obsessive' gene that means we focus to a greater degree on something. Perhaps, rather than us saying to people, here's what you should be doing to become healthy (food / exercise wise), we should be providing them with something to give them the focus that people on this site obviously have.

How DID we become focused?

Candy - I read some of your earlier posts in this thread (eg, the one about rolling fat people down hills) and could have jumped on the offensive because I normally do for things like that. Your more recent posts (one's near the top of this page) therefore surprised me because I never realised that you'd been overweight before.

I'm not even sure why I go on the offensive anymore about protecting overweight people. I'm not one of them anymore am I? Maybe I still think with a FAT mentality in some ways.

Apologies for thinking wrong of you mate. And respect to you for throwing out the 44 inchers.
  • Im just poppinginto say that you are NOT a failure pixie
  • VoodsVoods ✭✭✭
    EP - didn't mean that you ARE obsessed in my last post - I think that a lot of what we all show in this forum is that we're all very focussed on a goal once we set it and that could be interpreted as being obsessed (my friends certainly think I am a lot of the time).

As Plodders has said, you are NOT a failure. You can't think that when you've done a Marathon. How many people do you know outside these fora that can say that?

I can count the number of my friends that've done it on the fingers of one hand.