Milland Valley Trail Race 21K

Comments

• How does this race compare with the Surrey Slog.
  • Ghengis,
    Probally a bit tougher than the Slog . The slog has long up and down hills . The Milland has a lot of short - leg strength sapping - sharp hills . It's a lot more varied than the Slog as Well.
    Run it and see what you think .
    Tom.
  • The route of this race covers some of the best running countryside you will find!

As for the heat - I remember most of it being in the shade and through woodland.

There are 2 hills but you can run up them. Not like 'The Grizzly'.
  • oh puleeeeeze someone give me a lift from north London. The standard of in-car humour is quite excellent
  • I might do this one if I'm free that weekend. Only just started running because the girlfriends a bit damn good (did the Thames Run last weekend - she came 3rd out of the ladies, and I came 40-50th out of 500ish I think). Apparently I'm good on hills, so it might be good fun!

Don't have a half marathon PB or anything like that, so not too worried about time. But I am ridiculously competitive ...

Might cycle there - how far is Liss from West Wittering, if anyone knows?

Xav
  • Anyone know how this compares with the Windmill walk ? -I did the 15 miler there a few weeks ago lots of fun apart from one very steep hill!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Wellington, if your stuck for a lift, get a train to Basingstoke (should be less than an hour) and I'll give you a lift.
  • dustin, thank you very much for the offer, but the main problem is getting out of north London. I live in winchmore hill near Enfield - the Picadilly tube line is still out because of the bombing and obviously the overland railway firm WAGN (Wait And Go Nowhere) has decided to dig the line up on sundays knowing that the tube is out. It's planning like that that's made out public transport system the marvel that it is.

There's some half-arsed bus service running from winchmore hill station, which would take an hour and 3/4 to get to waterloo - and of course, I've got to get all the way back again while knackered. But thanks anyway matey and sorry about the rant!! I think I'm going to have to miss it, which is a shame as it's a bloody brilliant trail race - in my all-time top 10.

• Who's ready and raring to go for Sunday???
  • YEAH !!! this race is a real highlight for me. I marshalled last year and really felt like I was missing out.

should be nice weather, not too dusty.
    I am marathon training so running from my home to the race start !!!

see you sunday.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    got me number yesterday
    be my third outing and in mara training so hopefully should go ok
  • Any of you guys local?

Just asking because I am from the Midhurst Milers (of Midhurst 10K fame) and the race is organised by Liss Runners.
    Both clubs are within a couple of miles of Milland and are reasonably welcoming to new members!
  • Am I likely to lose out if I try and enter on the day? Or are there going to be lots of spaces and things?

thanks

Xav
  • I'm from Alice Holt, not very far away, but am already a Farnham Runners member.
    Looking forward to this as part of my mara training, not worried about a PB but want to enjoy the hilly course.
    Look forward to meeting some of you on day.
  • Hi Xav

I am entering on the day, you can at this race. Not sure what the limit is. I heard that numbers are up on last year so might be worth getting there early. Give the organiser a call?
  • I was planning on pitching up and entering on the day as well.

Sounds like this one is my cup of tea, lots of hills and half marathon distance.
  • Hi Tinribs

As you are local, are you doing the Midhurst 10K the following week?
  • Tim,
    I'd like to, but it clashes with a family holiday so unfortunately can't.
    Typical,coz I've been offered so many entry forms for it !!
    Theres even some on our works notice board, (Forestry Commission) put there by Alison kirrage who's working with us for a while.
  • Ha,
    I think every runner in the country has been offered an entry form for Midhurst in the last six months.

It is working because we are looking at record numbers this year!

Glad to hear Alison is not letting work get in the way of the serious business of race organisation.
  • Yes, even I have been offered an entry via one of your acquaintances, and we both sit on the floor above you at the Avis office in Bracknell!!! I am only waiting for you to come up the stairs and stick one in my in-tray!!!!!
  • I could get in trouble for harassment.

Better not leave a form on your car at Milland!
  • I just wanted to thank the organisers for a brilliant race. I did the 13m route and my boyfriend the 6m one and we both thoroughly enjoyed it, the course was stunning and the organisation superb!

I might not be singing your praises when I cant get out of bed tomorrow morning though ;-)
  • Thanks to the organisers, marshalls, and helpers for a superb race.
    Its a real killer but what stunning scenery !!
    Will be back next year for another go.
  • That was really painful. Now done two running races (Thames Run multi-terrain 13km, and that one). Longest that I've ever run!

Finished in 1hr46min8sec which I was happy with, but I don't go downhill very fast, especially on the squidgy bits (about a thousand people overtook me on the wooded downhill bit near the beginning).

Xav
  • Great run. Well organised/marshalled. Friendly. I'll be back!!
  • What a great race - still think the person responsible for setting the route has a lot to answer for ! - i think the term sadistic comes to mind - but having said that - i'm sure i'll be back next year for more! XD - really great time - no wonder it was painfull!
  • Message from Tom Frost , Race Director:-
    A great big thank you to all the runners , helpers , marshals , St.John Ambulance Crew , Milland Sports Pavilion committee .
    As always what a friendly crowd you all are , which makes a great day of running . There is always a great atmosphere .
    Any comments gratefully received esp. on momentos . Are runners happy to get medals or should we think of something else ? Results : I'm ploughing through them at the moment and we are hoping to have them up on the website by the end of Wednesday , time permitting . Web site address www.liss-runners.org.uk.
    See you at Midhurst on Sunday all those doing the 10km.
    Thanks again.
    Tom.
  • My Vote re the momento is defo a Medal,second choice would be a T-shirt, not keen on goody bags unless they reasonable quality,prefer a keep sake and food is gone forever once eaten.
    Mugs are naff and in my house usually end up getting broken.

Thanks again for a great event. :-)
  • I have done Milland a few times now but on every run you notice somthing different on the course.

Who are Hoff Harriers?? never heard of them but they had huge support on the course.

Good organisation to have four water stations at a trail race.
  • Who said PB's were out of the question?
    PB for me, having never run further than 10k before!
    Great race and the views were well worth the 12 miles of uphills and 1 mile down!
    Thanks for the support people.