Milland Valley Trail Race 21K

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Course best for me (my third run here), although forgot to stop th ewatch at the finish, I reckon it was about 1.45 and a bit. Took it 'comfortably' and glad I didn't tear up those last couple of hills near the end - meaning my legs had enough for a 'run for home' at the 2km to go marker. Thanks to everyone involved and, yeah who were 'Hoff harriers' ??

and great foresight from the lady in the changing rooms, obviously a boy scout in a former incarnation, dressed in a bikini for the mixed showers : 'be prepared'
  • B****r I missed those, there was some cracking women about too !!!!
  • A big thank you to all the friendly guys and gals that organised and supported this race. I thought it was a superb day out!

With respect to momentos I always like a good medal. The medals with a funny picture on linked in some way to the event are the best for me. T-shirts are never going to fit everyone, well never me it seems!
  • I ran this event for the first time in 2005, what a great find. I will definately be coming back in 2006 and will be bringing several runners from my club with me. Yes it was a hot day, but heck it was summer lol. The scenery was wonderful, course undulating, definately not a pb course but so what. Marshalling was first class.
  • Thanks for the nice comments John.
    Just started the paperwork for this years race . I'm aiming for entries to be able to be processed from late April.
    Normal postal and e-mail entries as last year . 95% certain date will be the 6th August.
    Any comments regarding any changes to the event gratefully received from anyone.
    It will be likely some entries on the day will have to do the 6 mile route as it's getting very crowed on the main route and I'm going to limit it to 340 runners.
    Regards,
    Tom Frost , Race Director.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Errr, this seems to be the thread for last year's race - anyone doing it in 2006?
  • Yep just sent off my cheque -first time for me - but sounds interesting.
  • Entered a while back but managed to pick up an injury on Sunday so not sure if I'll make it or not. I'll be gutted if I don't as judging by the feedback from previous years it should be a brilliant race. Everyone who rated the 2005 race gave it 100%!
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Haven't entered yet, training still haphazard and legs strangely tired. May do the shorter run having never done that one before.
  • parrotmadparrotmad ✭✭✭
    Ah go on, count me in :-)
  • Brilliant well marshalled race but hey the downs are are in the way mega time of the fast runners, we get in the way every single time to be a pb, so sorry..The 10K and half should be separated at that point its so soul destroying, i have to budge out of the way everytime it stops the fast runners
  • Ticher,
    I'm always after views from runners doing the event . The mixing of the two events has been a bit of a concern but up to now nobody has mentioned it . Is there a lot of runners getting in the way of each other ? The 6 mile long race is starting 50 minutes after the 21km route instead of the usual 45 minutes this year . I'm wondering if it might be better to start the 6 mile race a lot sooner in future years. What does everybody else think?
    Tom - Milland Race Director
  • AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    Tom
    Will there still be entries on the day for the main race as I won't know if I can do it until the day before?
    Thanks.
  • I run to enjoy and cant necessarily race so being polite i feel i need to stop and move or atleast get out of the way. i find the leaders of the long run are held up because of the steep incline by sunday drivers like me. I ran the half in 2hrs in 2004 and the 6 last year in 50 to give you a guide line of the conjestion on the hill
  • Alfie,
    Still around 80 places on the 21km route and loads on the six mile route . I'd advise to get there at least 45 minutes before the start though .
    Thanks for the information Ticher . I think in future years I'll start the 6 mile race around 10.45 . That will get the 21km leaders passing you on the wide last lane stretch.
    Any other views? I can't try to improve the race without knowing you thoughts.
    Thanks,
    Tom.
    Milland Valley Director.
  • Anyone done both this and the Surrey Slog as to compare, or both the same? Done the Slog a couple of weeks back, but I'm on a pi$$ up on Sat night so wondering whether to enter
  • Message For Tom

This race merits being a success because of the spot on attitude that you have.

Ran this 12 months ago, and again tomorrow, and what a picturesque route ! Fantastic.

Never mind if the hills mean no PB this time -
    Maybe the PB will follow this kind of work-out in the runners' subsequent 1/2m.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a sub 2 hour run tomorrow, having run 1 hr 45 m on a flat route 4 months ago. This would be a big improvement on last year !
  • What a fabulous event !

It was my first time trying it out, several of us who run together came down on the day and had a super time. The organisation was great - Marshalls at all the key points and clear signs everywhere. A big job to get all that in place off road.

As for the run .... well the first 5 miles were good, and then I ran out of energy from miles 7 to 10 and struggled to get the effort into the legs, and my HR fell despite the heat. I have just completed a heavy training week including a big interval session yesterday, so not surprising really. 1:49ish at the end, quite happy with that. The estimate that it takes 20% more than a normal half marathon seemed about right for our group.

Well done all.
  • Just wanted to add my thanks to the organisers - no complaints at all. From arrivng in the area (came from Camberley) - it was well signposted, car park was organised, marshalls, waterstops etc etc were all perfect. I race at least twice a month and this event was right up there with the best of them.
    Thanks and Well Done.

• Thanks to all the runners , helpers , marshals , officals etc. The day went very well again . Hot but dry . The event is one of the most friendliest around which makes it a pleasure to organise if you discount the hard work and stress (which is always unwarrented).
    Any thoughts about any aspect of the race please let me know . Otherwise it's a bit of the same next year 1st Sun. of Aug.
    The 6 mile race may be discontinued to make the organising a lot easier and stop runners clashing on the route . What do all the rest think?
    Thanks again.
    Tom,
    Race Director - Milland Valley Trail Race.
  • AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    No complaints from me as well. And I second all Stuart's comments. Great job by the organisers and marshalls.
    Everyone friendly and helpful, including all runners who let others overtake on the single lane hills.

Great race again, managed to beat my time from 2 year ago by about 4 minutes even with a 3-4 minute stop at the penultimate water station with cramp. Note to self - must reduce alcohol intake the day before.
  • first time and my only disapointment was not feeling well enough to run the 21k so I ran the 10k instead .will definately being running the half next year though! This makes one of my all time favourites.Well done Tom and marshalls etc brilliant signposting and very well organised .??Did the races clash much,didnt notice it myself.
  • My first trail and I thought it was a great event, I really enjoyed myself, loved the scenrey and even the hills and the frienliness. If 20% is accurate I should be on for a half PB this weekend, I'd certainly say a minute per mile extra so all looking good. Convenient for me that it falls on a family birthday, doesn't make it seem such a long trip from Nottingham! I'll certainly be back next year. I didn't notice the 10k runners much, though I did try and pick off each female runner and not knowing which ones were in each race made that a little difficult - so just ended up going for it anyway.
  • My fourth milland race 2 10 k and 2 21k Can never expect a good running time. However it is certainly one of the best if not the best run I ever take part in. Dont know what the conjestion was at the steps when we all stopped before going up there.perhaps an injury but everyone was friendly and very patient. Forget the time, just have fun and take in the scenery. I was nearly last but never mind I managed to complete it. Thanks for all the help and water not to mention the encouragement along route. Be back next year.
  • Just a quick question, my husband ran the 6m yesterday and his GPS recorded 5.7m - anyone else get that or was it just himn???

I ran the 21km route which was fantastic although I finished 10 mins down on last years time which I was gutted about!

Thanks to the organisers, this race is up there with the best :-)
  • AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd comment on Yeah I Know's question about comparing this to the Surrey Slog.

Overall, I would say very similar in terms of difficulty and time to complete. The slog is almost all either uphill or downhill, no flat sections whereas this has some more level terrain but some shorter and steeper hills. Slog is also all off road and paths are quite sandy in places.

Although difficult to compare conditions/weather/fitness, best Slog was last year in 1:42 and this about 1:43 running time yesterday. Compares to best road half of 1:29 (so for me about 15% longer).
  • yes parrot mine registered shorter too (5.2m cough cough)so it maybe a bit short .IT did bleep at me through a lot of the areas covered with trees in the first few miles so whether it didn't register or maybe the hills altered the distance.I don't know but I don't mind myself really as I enjoyed it too much.
  • thanks just seen results on web very slow but finished so i feel great achievement. Thanks again who cares about mixed showers when you are that dirty sweaty and ran for nearly 2 and a half hours. gosh people run a full marathon in that.
    thanks again see you next year. 10k is just has hard so may as well do the whole thing.Thanks Yvonne from Liss for directing me. You had the better option i am sure.
  • Great event, very well organised - thanks to the organisers, especially for the frequent water stations. You have no idea how welcome the last one was, I thought I'd had my last water at the one before last & it was like an oasis in the desert - almost (but not quite) better than beer!