(Un?)realistic expectations

Comments

• I had the chance to see once the Ethiopean Berhanu doing a few easy laps at our track before he won the GNR running sub 60 1/2 marathon. He was running on lane 6 and was moving like the Shinkansen! I have never seen anything like that before. From far distance it looked more like a springbok than a runner. Of course was highly inspirational moment for a few of us.
  • Shuman

do you mean people post these times on here to get reassurance that its impossible?
  • Umm all I can say about World Class internationals is Respect and a hell of a lot of it. They are extremely inspiring and deserve a great deal more reward than they currently get.
    As you say Bryan, unimaginable! How can a man run so far and so fast?
  • Bryan, you can run at the pace of just about anyone of those records for 100m, just they can keep it up for a lot longer :).

URR: so true what you say about high achievers, I rightly or wrongly consider myself one with 8*s and 5As at GCSE and it's very hard to allow yourself to sit back and relax something which I've gotten a bit better at this year due to the slightly less demanding schedule. Yet those who are most relaxed are probably those achieving far lower....

and your view of the obsessive competitve runner is exactly right, at each level I've gotten too I've taken a look around, singled someone out and decided that when I beat them I'll be onto the next step. Looking for small improvements all the time. Unfortunately for the moment in terms of people that'll have stopped for the moment in my main aim as a certain other member of the boards is now my BIG target long-term and I think that may well take years or probably never given his current standard in relation to mine.

I think that everyone needs a dream, without that dream your not going to improve. "Aim for the moon and even if you fail you'll still end up in the stars"
  • Shuman - no I don't agree to the lack of conviction bit. Sometimes if you say or even type something that has been mulling around in your mind then this can help to make it real/ acheivable???

If encouragement is given then this may give some that extra bit of conviction to get out there and try.

I wouldn't call peeps 'time shouters', but more that different things work for different people. .

For example, at the moment and I say that because this may change ( I don't have a crystal ball and refuse to be stuck into a category!) I prefer to keep my personal hopes to myself.

If I acheive them then I want to shout to all and everyone. I guess this is to save face somewhat, but really I don't care as this is what works for me.

If people want to 'shout' about times, that's fine with me, I hope they acheive what they are hoping/training for and if these forums help them in the process then all well and good.

If their hopes prove to be well off the mark and results in hindering their running, then like I said before that's the time they may need to take some time to think about what is going on. This can vary enormously between one runner and another as it depends on how hard you are prepared or want to train, genetics and so on. The variables are huge as are the hopes/goals between us all.

This happens throughout all walks of life and not just running and again I just wish it was that simple that we could all see the pitfalls before we hit them! But then this is how we learn - isn't it?

• And now I really am going off to bed for some much needed zzzzzz's.

Happy running all!

Scoobs
  • My approach is more: "Hope for the best, but expect the worst" :)
  • yes Bryn

You are 20 plus years younger than me
    and i still agree with you

i achieved two lifetine ambitions 2 yars ago and its hard now

maybe i didnt aim high enough

i never thiught id run a marathon, let alone this number

i knew id be a hospital consultant-but its taken 36 years of waiting
  • Bryn, I like the idea:

I think that everyone needs a dream, without that dream your not going to improve. "Aim for the moon and even if you fail you'll still end up in the stars"

Are you satisfied if you don't recognise the stars. 1st is the winner, 2nd is the first loser. That is reality, isn't it?

Regarding the reassurance issue i believe these people are looking for support which is, to be honest, not really worthy.
  • Competition is the main reason I run.

The satisfaction of new PBs is great (didn't start running until 45, so they still come in at 48), but so is beating runners who used to beat you, overtaking towards the end of races, etc.

The simple process of running is good as well. The easy, not-so-long, long run when the sun comes out or a tough track session. All good stuff.

Health benefits? Certainly the reason I started, but I've almost forgotten that now.
  • ooooh Shuman
    "not worthy"

of WHAT??????

sounds harsh to me

(mutters darkly about non health benefits of running--toenails, sores etc)
  • LOL this was meant to state that if someone asks for reassurance on any issue, I personally would not just yes it up, I don't see that as being constructive. I would like to know more details to constructively help the decision making process and possibly give advice if I could.

I really do believe that everyone should have several goals and really go out and get them! A goal has to be attainable, a battle but surely possible.

All I wanted to say is if people wish to analyse times, sure thing, we all want to, but lets just do it with a plan and a base.
  • Well, all I ever get now are PWs - personal worsts but I still run cause I love it.
    It is easy to run when you can see your times coming down - doesn't matter which end of the field you are in.
    It does pay to be realistic though or else it hurts too bad!
    I started running when I was 10 - I'm now 54 and have had some fantastic running memories and still want some more. That's why I logged on to this site - to get some more motivation!
  • 90 Minutes, I like your post, just about sums things up for me as well.

When setting my running expectations I try not to go overboard and they are no neccessarialy PB and race orientated.

The thrill or satisfaction of running somewhere where you have not been before can give you a real buzz especially if its run for pleasure (although you can race for pleasure too).

I like the idea of having a good race. Battling with fellow competitors. Like a race within a race. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose. But you just gotta' have fun or else what's the point for us mere mortals.

In the setting of "expectations" I use a simple management tool I was given early in my managerial carear. Expectations (or objectives) should be S.M.A.R.T.

S = Specific
    M = Measureable
    A = Achievable
    R = Realistic
    T = Timescaled

Gorgive the poor spelling, I've got to get to work.
  • DS - running for pbs or to win?

At the moment I'd rather finish way down a field in a race and break a pb than win a minor race in a poor time.

Once pbs are no longer realistic I'd like to think I'd do what MikeS does, and pick a series of races where I think I could medal in my particular age category.
  • Plodding hippo, the ultrapeeps being deranged was a lighthearted comment mainly aimed at Duckgirl, she thinks the stuff I do is horribly fast and I think the ultra stuff is horribly long. Even though it's something completely different to what I aspire to achieve athletically, I'm rather full of admiration for racing where you simply spend that much time on your feet.
  • for me its regonition even if im slow i train by myself and posting on here makes me feel that i belong to a club it gives me motivation however small
  • I race for positions.

Thats the main reason I got dissalusioned and have almost completely given up road running - constantly racing a watch holds little interest. It confines you to flat courses and I always had a problem with achieving my goals through constant paced running.

So off road ultras and long or mid distance cross country or fell runs is where you will mainly find me.

As long as im competeive in my little corner of the running world thats ok with me.

I dont even have any valid PB's any more as they where all set a years ago when I wasnt as fit as I am now.

Id be lying if I said I wouldn't like an impressive marathon time though, One day maybe Ill go back once more for a proper attempt.

• Oooh, my favourite subject :-))))

For various reasons, I doubt that I'll be setting many more pbs, if any, due to the knackered state of my joints (then again, I'm interested to see what will happen when I stop this high mileage pretence and go back to running 20-30 miles a week with 2 x fast club runs a week ... which iare the conditions under which I set all my 'good' pbs)

So, should I give up running - no!!! I enjoy it too much (and it means that I can eat what I like)

So, like Jason, I race for places, as, for me, running by a watch is demoralising, stressful and somewhat pointless as I am constantly reminded that I simply can't run as fast as I could 10 years ago (and I'm still under 40). Oh, and I find road running incredibly boring as well, which doesn't help. As a result I pick smaller races (usually hilly or muddy) and fell races, where I know that I can perform well and intimidate a few people on my route to a minor prize :-))

Mind you, I'd be a liar if I said that I didn't want to do another sub-1.40 half marathon ....

Agree with Sodahead re: the SMART objectives, its amazing how many tears you see on the forum because people don't plan their training strategy and just assume that they can turn up at a marathon (or whatever) having followed any old training schedule and race to a certain time. It's good to have stretching goals, but there have to be intermediate points to achieve on the way ...
  • With regard to SMART, I've never understood what the difference is between achievable and realistic. Surely if a goal is realistic then it is achievable and vice versa.
  • Becky - then it would be a SMRT target or a SMAT target, and would not sound like first class management consultant gobbledygook:))
  • Not so sure in applying management tools, in my experience it always ends up as: Over promised and under delivered :D
  • Surely if something is measurable, it is also specific? you can't specify something if you can measure it in some way.

SpeRT goals?
  • I normally gor for goals that are:

Fast
    Achievable
    Non-linear
    Non-rigid
    Yearnsome
  • So, should I put more SpeRT in my FANNY?
  • Maybe re-prioritise your dimensions and you would get CRAP.

Competitive
    Realistic
    Achievable
    Performance oriented
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Jason and Lizzy, you can run for position on the road too. If you ran some of the road races in my part of the world there's no way you'd be going for time, they're just too hilly!

If I want to go for a pb, I have to find races that aren't local, apart from a few 10km's.

I love off road racing too and can understand the attraction, there just a different feel to them. I think they're more friendly than road races, but can be just as competitive.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Saying that my last 10 miles pb was on a hilly local route. Time to seek out a flat course then:o)