How are you feeling!!

Just wondering, with under 3 weeks to go until the big day, how you are all feeling.
How the last long run went? any pains you've got, or any mental doubts that need to be extinguished for the first time runners.
Me, i've got quite sore knees at the moment, just started to slowly taper and am i glad about that. I did my last long run yesterday 17 miles in 2. 26 so quite happy with that, i am aiming to do sub 4hrs on the day. Did 4.34 last year.
Good luck all

Comments

• How am I feeling = bloody miserable actually.
    Last long run = was pretty bloody awful but I did get a medal.
    Mental doubts extinguished = not for me. Have them all the time.
    Pains = sore legs. But that would be because of the long run from hell.

Oh and FLM...?

I'm not doing it.

:-D
  • Whoops im sorry for asking!!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    how am I feeling? nervous & excited and know the next three weeks are going to drag without heavy training to pass the time!

last long run? cr@p. only managed 17.25 and now I know what it feels like to hit the wall

pains? bad ankle, but had it since before I started training and it's no better/no worse so I'll live with it.

mental doubts? that I'll make the time I hope for which is something between 4.30 and 4.40
  • Danno - Feeling great. A couple of weeks with ITBS kept training to a minimum, but I had to have a go at a long run this weekend.

Managed 22 in 3:05 and without to much pain. Off to wrap myself up in cotton wool
  • Mava, 17.25 is a good distance as a long run. Last year was my first one, i was informed 7 weeks before race date that i had a golden bond space, i did it in an ok time
    Youll be great, just keep thinking of that finish line, and that medal. you go girl
  • Terrified - was due to do last long run on Monday but was struck down with rotton cold Sunday morning. Longest run 16 miles so far. Going against all advice and doing 2 week taper. Will complete 19 miles on Saturday. Last night my little princess broke her elbow (shes only 3) so am trying to be super mum aswell. Feeling a bit low, I expect all the training is taking its toll
  • Be careful, dont over do it with only a couple of weeks to go. My advise is not to do a long run on sunday, start your taper now, any amount of training now is not going to really help you. You have put in all the hard work now begin to bring things down. You could do more harm than good.
  • Hello.

Actually feeling surprisingly hopeful - given that I've never done a marathon before and that I am not athletic.

Did 22 miles on Sunday - longest ever - and felt pretty sore by the end but could have continued further. Unlike the 18 miles I did a fortnight before when I hit the wall, which made the last three miles so tough.

Felt very stiff yesterday thought cos I didn't do enough stretching after the 22 miler.

18 miles took 3:35, 22 miles took about 4:35, so I'm hoping to complete the FLM inside 5:30.

Am excited now because I know that I am capable of running all the way!
  • Very excited !Not sleeping well ,,much to my wifes disgust all I can think about before sleep is the flm the other 23 hours 59 minutes of the day all i can think about is the flm!
  • Under pressure - to complete, to complete in a good time, to justify knee-capping everyone I know for sponsorship, and to still be in a fit state for the Edinburgh marathon in June.

I wouldn't say I hit the wall after my 22 miler on Saturday, but my mind was completely buggered. Didn't know what day of the week it was until I'd downed a pack of jelly babies!
  • Yeah i know exactly where you are comming from. I think my wife is looking forward to the finish more than i am !!!!!!!!!
  • Getting excited now, especially as my injuries are clearing up nicely! Was thinking about the FLM pretty much constantly anyway so now it's less than 3 weeks away I can hardly even do any work (but that may also be due to just coming back off a long weekend) - hurray for the forum!
  • Very nervous!

Had a string of problems which I won't bore you with, but after yesterday I am a bit concerned.

I managed my longest run which was 20 miles, and it was without doubt the most difficult thing I have ever done. Hit the 'wall' at about 17 and felt like death! Not sure how I managed the last 3 miles but I certainly would NOT have managed a further 6 on top!
    I am taking some solice from the fact that I had a very poor preparation due to excessive work committments and very little sleep or food. Also the course I ran had many hills which I think sapped my legs more than I expected.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with London so wanted to know how flat the course is, I can't imagine it's as hilly as the course I did yesterday?

I was hoping for a sub 4.30 before yesterday and managed my 20 in 3.22. I may have to adjust my target!
  • I know London well (since I live here) and it's not hilly so you're okay on that score, do not worry. If you prepare well and turn up with the intentions of enjoying the race and the atmosphere then you may well surprise yourself with your time, just don't go off too hard and take it from there. Good luck!
  • I'm not too sure how I'm feeling today.

I did a 20 miler yesterday - never hit the wall and managed a sprint finish but my legs felt like lead!! I'm a bit sore today but have to keep getting up and walking around to prevent the stiffness setting in.

I'm hoping for a sub 4.30 marathon but to be honest I'll be glad just to finsh as it's my first time.

Plus I'm already prepared for the shame of being taken over by a rhino!!

Best of luck everyone xx
  • Feeling fab - can't wait for race day
  • It's good to hear how everyone else is going on as you begin to live, breathe and sleep the marathon my friends and family are sick of hearing about it.

It's my first marathon too but completed 20 miles relatively easily on Sunday. Had heavy legs but dunked them in a cold bath and feel fine today. What's bothering me now is what to do in terms of long run this weekend. I'm hoping to do sub 4.30 - my real aim is to finish and enjoy it but my schedule says 17 miles this weekend.

What are you all doing this weekend?
  • Bring it on!!! Very aprehensive, scared about going off too quick.

As others have mentioned my wife is also very much looking forward to the finish line.

Training gone well(ish) done a couple of 20 milers in last 2 weeks fatest was 3:10(ish) in race, hurt lots after 16, and 3:17 in training, looking for 4:20 at London. After last long run think can achieve 26.2 had a bit left.

Last nagging doubts are have I done enough training, have missed a few runs here and there particularly on sunday (long runs are fridays, half day work). Just need plenty of sleep and pasta now.

Good Luck to you all
  • 10 will be my max this weekend coming then a couple of 4-7 milers in the week, 8 on sunday (10th april), 4 on wednesday (13th)
    2 on friday (15th). Hopfully 26.2 on sunday 17th.
  • sounds good to me! Am bored of long runs now anyway.
  • Just making a quick penang thai chicken curry for the family before i go and do a small 5 miler.
    I gotta keep my lady happy. ha ha
  • Hello from a truly terrified first time marathon runner.

The only good thing about my training is that my sponsorship for my local hospice is well above target.

I've only managed a 16 mile run as my longest so far - this weekend was a bit of crash and burn only managed 13 miles but the way I look at it I can always walk along with the guy in the diving suit!

Wishing you all an injury-free three weeks see you on the 17th!

R

• Firest time marathoner who has only been running for a year. Emotions ranging from butterflies/excited/can'twait to terrifying white fear!! Am boring everyone and their dog! Am creak crackered from the training, getting over wierd ankle injury, eating like a hoss and constantly panicing about whether have done enough! Not to worry - see you all there! shortish run this weekend - 10M max and then bring on the carbs! Good luck everyone and hurray for this site! See you there and then [body and mind willing] on the other side!
  • Hi Rachalel
    You will be fine. 16 miles is ok, fantastic news about your sponsorship, mine is too.
    A little tip if you begin to struggle on the day just think of all the money you will be able to collect. Use that as motivation. Stay fit babe. See you on the 17.
  • Feeling OK - just the usualy tired, hungry, aching, and worried about getting injured/cold/....anything (!!!) before the day.

Did 22 on Saturday and felt pretty pants. Been doing OK until then - Glos 20 in 2:50, but couldn't get up any pace and everything hurt. Rested Sunday and tried to run Monday, but legs felt like they belonged to someone else!!! Keep thinking that if I could do Glos 20 in 2:50 should be ok for 3:45.......fingers crossed.

Nervous about the taper - keep feeling I should run more, but know that I need to cut down now. Just can't wait until it's over now.... in a good way of course :O)

Good luck everyone
  • All the hard work is over now, well exept for the day itself. enjoy the taper you have worked for it. Good luck
  • Rachel, you've less to worry about than me. My longest distance was Silverstone, which I walked almost all of. My longest run/walk is 6.2m, and I still have £120 to raise to reach my charity's target. I'll see you there along with the diver!
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    Katherine, I got round in 2001 with a longest run/walk of 13 miles. I ran/walked the route and, with a loo stop, finished in 5.50. I did force myself to run that last stretch from Blackfriars to the finish though, and the crowds really helped. you can do it. Enjoy it!

• Panic! I what I am feeling.

I haven't run for 10 days. It was all going so well - I did 20 miles on my last run but then, last week I fell up the stairs (yes - 'up') and wallopped my kneecap on the metal rightangle of the step. Went to casualty and it is not broken but I can barely walk.

Hoping it will be better in another week or so but does anyone know if I will lose fitness during this time (am swimming)? Will I still be able to run (provided I am pain free) if I haven't done any running for 3 weeks prior to the big day?

I really don't want to drop out now.

(sorry for big post but am having a small brakdown over here!)