Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options
    Good luck every one. I've got my number now, geen 19323, but still don't know if I'll make it I suppose I could start and if it's too sore stop, it wouldn't be the end of the world would it?

• Options
    This is the last time I'll be online before tomorrow.

Good luck everyone. I'm getting quite nervous now. Dreamt I ran it in 1:27 last night!!! There's no chance of that happening tomorrow :) Have near enough decided that I'm going to go in the blue section as I'm not going to do it in under 1:40 and I don't want to hold up the faster runners.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Getting nervous now, less than 24 hours to go. Hope its a nice day but not to warm.

Good luck to everyone for tommorrow.
  • Options
    good luck to all you forum runners, I'm so jealous of you all. I've had to pull out due to injury. My running pal and my husband are doing it so I'll be there cheering you all on. I did it last year as my first half and loved it. There's always The Cumbian Half next month.
    Good luck and Enjoy
  • Options
    Weather forecast is for hot!!! Hope not too hot.

Early start to get there in time. Have a good one everybody.
  • Options
    Hi Siouxie Whats up with you, that you think you wont manage to run? Is it an injury or lack of training or like me both...
  • Options
    Good luck everyone - hopefully we will all have PBs and be on here tomorrow night saying how well we did!

• Options
    MOTR-Unfortunately the hot weather may put paid to a few pb's, lets hope everyone remembers to take on fluids whilst running even if they dont feel like taking them and lets hope we all get back safe and injury free.
  • Options
    Morning. Up bright and early to head to Glasgow. Feel really nervous and know that I am going to be so slow but I am more worried about getting parked believe it or not. ......

got to have something to worry about to take my mind of the run........

Hope it doesn't get too hot.

Have a good one folks.
  • Options
    Morning all, It's going to be a scorcher today !!! Anyway good luck to everyone on the forum!
  • Options
    good luck everyone. bring sunblock.
  • Options
    Ouch, forgot the sunblock.

You could fry an egg on my shoulders.
  • Options
    How flipping hot was that! I have never seen so many folk collapsed at the road side in a race before. Everyone in my 'team' got a rubbish time - rain and wind we can do - sun, no chance!
  • Options
    Absolutely fantastic day!

The sun and heat don't really bother me that much.
    Ran steady 8 min miling for first 10 and then upped pace to 7 for last 3 ish. Felt quite fresh at end so probably could have done more.
    Few pints to celebrate after and all in all my first GSR has been superb.
    Hope others enjoyed it as well.

Still buzzing but maybe thats the Bud's.

:-)
  • Options
    Great day for sunbathing in the garden but not for running through the streets of Glasgow. Have always enjoyed the GSR but didn't enjoy today one little bit. Was 3 minutes below target time and struggled from mile 5 onwards.
    Still a great event and the runners and crowds are fantastic....just one of those races that I want to forget about.
    Well done to all who ran though and I hope you all enjoyed the experience.
  • Options
    Personal worst for half marathon but I dont really mind.
    Doing OK by 7 miles, on track for sub 1.40 but came across a guy called Gary collapsed on the side of the road with heat exhaustion, with two nice but concerned lady spectators.
    Felt compelled to stop to help out before the paramedics turned up, but as he was not adequately responding to initial cooling, fluids and my spare gel, decided to hang on till the ambulance came.
    Hooked up with a workmate, and did in essence a training run to the finish.
    Saw more collapsed runners today than at any other race.

• Options
    really hot did a PW by 8 mins. got to mile 6 or 7 and began to struggle. it was just hold on to the end. 1hr41'21secs by my watch had been hoping for PB as had really hilly half in May juts 40 secs out side PB and Glsagow is firaly flat. still at least managed to finish which at one point I did not think I could do.
  • Options
    Sauna weather - only in Glasgow. Slowest half ever at 2:09 but finished despite dodgy knee returning.

Do hope all the runners I saw collapsed recovered OK - most looked young and fit too which was a bit of a worry.

Now about to tuck into pasta tea, diet coke and a Cadburys chocolate bar. Off on holiday tomorrow.....yippee...but will I get down the stairs ok with my bag?!

Well done all you hot runners!! Zed :->
  • Options
    A personal worst for me. Think I did it in around 2:12. Felt awful by mile 5 - thankfully I was wearing sunglasses as I had a wee bubble!!

That race has seriosuly put me off running!! I just can't run in the heat. I'd decided as soon as I started that I would be happy to make it round. Thankfully the SPF30 held out as I burn so easily as was picturing myself getting really badly burnt.

My boyfriend has just cooked me a great curry and I'm now going veg infront of the tv for the rest of the evening. Might do a bit of yoga later on to try and stop the stiffness tomorrow!

At least I've raised a bit for charity so it was worth it in the end! And finally a decent t-shirt!!
  • Options
    A PB was not for me today but a PW was.Started slowly(7min 30 miling)by 3rd mile had to slow down to 8 min miling,you would have thought i was sprinting to hear my breathing slowed 9 min miling by 5th mile then had to stop as i felt absolutely awful.Had a little stretch and took on some more fluids then started running again but everytime i tried to go faster than about 9 min miling my breathing was awful.Was in half a mind to chuck it but decided to soldier on and get to the finish.
    Waited for Mrs Jaggy at the finish and what a sight greeted me as i saw her coming in she was covered in blood,she had fallen and landed badly spraining her wrists and badly grazing her elbows and knees.Went to the first aid tent to get her patched up and it was chock a block with people who had collapsed(Mostly blokes).Got back to the car and drove homewhen i remembered i had left my bag at the changing tent so i had to go back and get it.Some people were still coming in (4hrs on clock) one woman i saw sank to her knees and burst into tears after she had crossed the line,hope it was tears of joy at finishing and not because she had struggled.
    After getting home and still feeling awful i had a bath and a lie down.About 5 ish i decided to take my blood pressure and see what my reting heart rate was,my BP was normal but my resting heart rate was 75 thats about 30 more than normal maybe thats why i had a bad day.
    Well done to everyone who ran today whether they finished or not it wasn't really a day for running long distances.

Freckly -I too am going to have a curry
  • Options
    What a day!

That was my first half-marathon and if it wasn't for these comments it might have been my last!

I'd been hoping to get under 2hr - my watch made it 1hr59min28s! We'll see what the time was tomorrow.

My feet must have been swollen - I've got 2 very large blisters, one on each middle toe. Very painful!

Jaggy - still waiting for my heart rate to slow back down - I think I need another few litres of fluid!

Well done everyone.
  • Options
    Far far too hot for me today. Nive flat route and all went well until 6 miles when I had to walk. From there it was jog/walk to the finish. Was 5 mins over the time I had hoped for. Was aiming for 2.45 and finished in 2.50. Bit disappointed.

Too many people collapsed by the side of the road. Hope they are all ok.

Zed - enjoy your holiday. Roll on next Monday as I am off then for 2 weeks.

Well done to everyone who competed today. As you say magoo great for sunbathing too hot for running. Mind you who would have expected it in Sept.

• Options
    PW for me too, could have done with a door out the kitchen!
    Well done to all who did/didn't finish and hope to be back next year for the 25th anniversary.
  • Options
    I thought it was just me. Finished in 1.38 12 minutes down on last year and the first time I have ever had to walk at any point in a half marathon.

Felt awful at mile 3 and was just relieved to have finished at all.

P.S. bring back the shoe chip, I have a big blister on my achilles from the annoying ankle chip.
  • Options
    I finished in 2:30 something (I think) and was reasonably happy as this was my first 1/2. Happy as I only had to walk twice for 100 yards each time (not that I was running very fast anyway!) Only downside was the heat and fact that I threw up on the road home (Banana+caramel wafer+water+lucozade isotonic dont go too well evidently) Will be back next year with better training under my belt and hopefully it will be a bit cooler.
  • Options
    The heat was oppresive, but I'd pinched Mr.D's cycling sunglasses, so like Freckly Fraggle has a wee bubble of vaguely cool air aboot me eyes. Despite the drenching sweat, chafing bum & blistered ball of foot I managed about 2h11, which was great given I thought I'd be lucky to get 2.5hrs. The jelly babies about mile 10 really did wonders for me, so much so I was able to sprint finish. As my 1st 1/2 marathon it's been a lesson in what I need to do for future training, but overall I enjoyed it. Well done every one though - Scotland eh?
  • Options
    Oh I am SOOOOO glad I wasn't on my own then!

In 9 / 10 years of running it was my PW also. I ran with my dad who had hardly trained at all (mainly because my mum wanted me to make sure I got him home in one piece!) but I'm kinda glad I did. We managed fine until after the 8 mile mark, then my dad's knee gave in, so from then on it was walk / jog to the finish. My right foot was rubbing in my trainer so that slowed us down at bits, the vaseline from the first aiders helped for all of 5 minutes! I slept for nearly 2 hours at my mum's before coming back home and now my right hip and right knee are absolutely killing me.

So that'll be the GNR out the window. Anyone want a couple of race numbers....?!!
  • Options
    What a great event :o)

Well-organised, plenty of water despite the heat (and that bonus water-station organised by the local people was especially appreciated), and a brilliant atmosphere from start to finish. Running over the Kingston Bridge was a particular pleasure.

I thought a couple of times that I was going to DNS. Yesterday I was convinced that my childcare arrangements were going to fall apart and I was going to have to bring the kids and support. This morning I had the bright idea of parking at an outlying underground station and taking the tube in, then discovered, less than an hour before the race start, that the Clockwork Orange likes to lie in bed and read the Sunday Post till 11am. But with the help of Bear's excellent navigation, I was there in plenty of time.

I didn't push myself, having not trained for weeks, and was happy to finish in 2.33.18 by my watch. Aim High! did a stonking PB - 1.35. Womble had a close encounter with the road but got up again to finish in 2.09, and I saw Nessie come in comfortably under 3 hours.

Many people seemed to suffer very badly in the heat. As others have observed, there was a lot of roadside carnage, and many of the back-markers looked extremely unwell. Not the racewalkers, though. They all looked fantastically fresh and cheerful :o)

I'll come back and do this one again.
  • Options
    ditto, ditto, ditto for me too although I did manage a PB - mainly because I am not very fast anyway! I ran 2.11.12 on my watch so 15 minutes better than last year. I had hoped for under 2 hours but I think I'll save that for Oban in October - it's bound to be raining there! What a heat! I was quite upset about all the casualties - I still don't consider myself a 'real' runner and these people looked like they were. Glad to get over the line and home in one piece. Well done to everyone - a major achievement for us all.