FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• I ran the GSR 10k today and had been kicking myself that hadn't applied for half instead but after reading all your messages I'm glad now. There were quite a lot of collapsed people on the 10k so can only imagine what the half was like.

Every race that me and my friend have ran in in the last 1 and half years have been scorching so I think I'm a jinx, blame me.

Well done to all of you, will def do half next year.

Tripped over a cat's eye on the GSR 10k crossing the bridge last year so sympathies to all who fell and grazed themselves. It's not pleasant.

TT ;0)
  • We saw the 10k runners crossing the bridge when we were driving into the city centre along Paisley Road West after the failed attempt to catch the underground.

It was a phenomenal sight.
  • Hi all, I'm new here.

Today was my first half marathon - actually first race of any kind. Would baptism of fire be appropriate?

Had 1:50 down on the entry, so was amongst the greens. Started very conservatively, mostly due to congestion over the Kingston Bridge (the whole thing ground to a halt on a couple of occasions, right pain in the arse) but once onto Paisley Rd West I was feeling pretty good.

The heat didn't bother me until leaving Pollock Park, but that pretty much conincided with my longest distance in training (9 miles) and I started to feel it in me legs. Last two miles before hitting Glasgow Green were the worst, but the last half mile was great. Once I got within earshot of the crowds at the finish my pace suddenly picked up and I was really into my stride for the finish. Not sure of the time due to the staggered start, but I'm expecting around 1:55 which I'm kinda happy with. I guess it's both a PB and PW.

Great day in all (especially the first beer afterwards), definately intending to be back for more next year. Hopefully in the rain.

B

P.S. Was quite disturbed by the number of people needing medical attention en-route. Hope they've all recovered ok.
  • This was my first half as well and all the training I did with the Glasgow Jogging Network paid off! 2h 40 which shows I lived up to my awfulslo name, but I ran all the way and felt good at the end! Did notice as I left Pollok Park that I was a bit in the minority actually running, as many people were walking by then and I passed loads of people, this is a bit of a novelty for me. Everyone did brilliantly just getting round on such a hot day. Felt so sorry for the girls lying on the benches in Glasgow Green being fanned by first aiders. I can only gaze in awe at those of you who did under two hours. Will I do it next year? Oh, I think so and may see some of you then.
  • Hi,
    What a day! Well done to all those who took part.

Started of well then got slower and slower. finished in about 46 min , 4min down on expected.
    1/2
    Quick change and refuel then jogged back to start made it just in time to start on the very back row.

Felt bad up to mile 5 then my body seemed to switch over to burning it's ample supply of fat.Ran 5 min walked 1 after that and made a lot of progress.
    Uable to get finish time as watch was palying up, but around 2.30 hrs a pw by about 40 min, however it was good to run at the backjust enjoy the whole atmosphere, and to meet Nessie

As i just don't seem to be able to run in the heat Iam going to suggest to organisers that they hold it in December, it can't be too warm then can it.
    Alan
  • If you managed to keep running you did well. After about mile 7 although I kept running, I was on auto pilot. After the race I was on a bit of a downer as I had been expecting to beat my pb of 1hr 33. I thought it was just me who had blown it but on reading the feedback I realise I was fortunate to keep going. 1hr 41 a pw but I will be back as Arnie said.
  • Alan, you might have a good idea there. If not December but perhaps even November. I am planning to do Glen Clova in November where the only problem is frostbite. It is only cancelled if too much ice etc. Very hilly but an experience , try it November 12 a Saturday
  • I'm planning to run half marathon in Elgin in February so I dread to think how cold it'll be. That'll be a new experience running a race in the cold.

TT ;0)
  • I too had a problem with the velcro strap - I've a nasty cut on my ankle. It kept spinning round to the front and digging in. If they have them in my next race I'm going to attach it to my laces instead.

Had a good sleep last night and the only bit that's sore is my right quad and knee - probably because I ran to the right of the course as it was the most shaded.

I too was shocked by the number of people passed out and on oxygen. The more of them I saw the more I slowed down as I didn't want it to be me!!

Having had a day to reflect I'm pretty pleased with my effort. Was hoping for the sub 2 but in that heat it just wasn't possible for me.

BTW - the wee bubble I was talking about was actually me crying!! Never done this in a race before.

Well done everyone. Roll on next year!!
  • If Tangerinetwirly is entering Elgin half in Feb.Who is up for a nice half in the blazing(February) sunshine of Elgin?

Kept on checking my RHR all last night and it just wouldn't come down,normally it is down near normal about 4 or 5 hours after finishing but at 11pm last night it was still about 20 beats p/m above that.

Phew-have just checked it this morning whilst sitting at computer and it is down at 50 BPM which is about average.

Although i really struggled yesterday my legs feel fine today and i feel like i could go out and run no problem.Its a weird game this running lark.
  • How hot was that yesterday. Unbareable for me. Did the first 7 miles in an hour but from there on i had to do a run/walk. I didn't want to end up like all the poor people i seen collapsed.

I finished in 2 hours and 38 seconds according to my watch which i am happy with considering the conditions and as it was my first half.
  • Reading all your comments brings a tear to my eye as my sore shin didn't clear up and I couldn't run.
    I had even looked out pain killers with a view to taking some before running. I eventually listened to my sensible side and let my head rule my heart. I decided that as I am only a fun runner, have done two 1/2's this year and there is always next year, I didn't need the pain I would end up with this week if I ran. I suppose it was a case of listening to my body and not being daft about it.
    Was up with my son for the junior run. It was the first time he had done anything like this and he enjoyed it. All through the day he would suddenly recall something that had happened as he was running. Think he will want to do it again next year.
    Well done to all that took part.
  • Anyone got any ideas how long it took the greenies to cross the start line?
  • Think it was about 6 mins or so Dash
  • Apparently it was 28C in Glasgow yesterday - it certainly felt it!

I was concerned about the heat prior to the start, as I really don't do heat very well. Felt fine running through the city in the shade of the buildings, but as soon as we got onto the bridge, I knew I was going to struggle. I was soaked in sweat by the time we came off the bridge, and was already looking for the water station. Speedy and I were running together, but as she was obviously faring better than me, I told her not to hold back.

I decided at that point that I would try to run the whole way, but not to look at my watch at all, and slow as much as I needed to to make it to the end in one piece.

I kept Speedy in sight for a while, but lost her in Bellahouston park, as I had to stop to get one of the First Aid ladies to cut part of the outsole of my shoe off, as it was flapping loose and was very annoying.

Lots of support from families in the Park really gave me a boost, and I perked up a bit. Chatted to a lady who was running her first half, and we ran together to the top of Haggs road. Got into the shade of the trees, and had a nice downhill to the opening of Pollock park.

Oh, how wonderful was the shade in Pollock Park? Although I was taking the inclines very slowly, my legs felt strong and I was gradually cooling down, and consequently started to feel good. I thought I might as well try to make up a bit of time on the downhills, and felt like I was sprinting, especially as I was passing a lot of walkers.

• I was hoping it was about 8 to get me under the 2:30 mark just need to wait and see? Good time Killiefan under the circumstances. I am sure that like me you will be confident of chopping that time next time around. I am aware than my shins are not sore yet and I am praying that they will be fine anyone know how long it if they are going to flare up?
  • just read all of the posts since the race and they have cheered me up no end! i did the 10km yesterday and ran about 6mins slower than i was hoping to in the worst running experience ever - normally i'm around 48mins and i did 54, yuck. just couldn't breathe at all, i do have asthma (exercise induced), but my chest felt terrible, i think the air was quite thick and dirty. i've never seen so many people collapsed and being sick, and that was only the 10k so i can barely imagine what the half was like; i did the dunfermline half back in may in cool weather and that was tiring enough so my heart went out to everyone yesterday. congratulations to everyone that ran yesterday, especially those than managed pbs, fantastic..
  • even last night as I sat in house I felt as if I was still overheating the old internal burner must still have been on overdrive.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    PW for me too. 2.30 I think. I can't do heat either.

It was good to meet Dash Parr on the way round and also Gillian.

Vrap - I think I passed you in Pollock Park, but I wasn't sure it was you so didn't speak to you. It probably was, judging by our times...

Considering I had done under 30 miles in total in the six weeks prior to the race I don't feel too bad....

I'll be doing the Kinloss - Lossiemouth half in February - couldn't get there because of snow last year. Nice and cool!!
  • I am confident if the conditions were cooler i could get a much better time Dash. In yesterdays heat im just glad to have finished.

Im surprised today that my legs dont feel to bad although i have a bruised toenail.

• Out onto the road at the end of Pollock Park and the heat really hit hard. Slowed a fair bit, but kept a running motion of sorts. I remembered from previous years about the hoses at 9-ish miles, and fixed my mind on that.

Huge thanks to the residents who were out in force - 3 hoses, buckets of water to refill bottles, and cups of water. Also a guy with a microphone, giving encouragement and getting the crowd to cheer the runners. A great pick-up.

The cooling of the hose-shower was a welcome relief, especially as there is no shade for the next 3 miles. At 10 miles my legs were starting to seize a bit, and I had to do some strange goose-steps to loosen off. Somewhere around 11-11.5 miles, I could feel the relentless heat (it was now approaching 1pm, and must've been the hottest part of the day) and my hearbeat thumping in my ears. I decided to treat myself to a short walk, so that I could finish in style. I walked a bit/jogged a bit for about 10 mins.

Just before the entrance to Glasgow Green, someone recognised my forum vest - it was MarathonMaz. We chatted for a while, and walked as far as the 12 mile marker. I checked my watch for the first time, and realised that Mr Nessie should still be at the riverside, as I'd got over the start line quicker than I'd expected, so this had made up for the slower run. I was determined not to walk again, so was glad of the shade through the trees. Sure enough, I spotted Mr Nessie sunning himself on a bench, and I managed to give him a quick kiss while still jogging on the spot. A short distance ahead, I spotted Bear, V-rap and AimHigh (and someone else - sorry I can't remember who) and ran sideways for a while to make sure AimHigh recorded the moment on his camera.

That last corner was a struggle, but once I was on the home straight, I felt great. Heard a voice shouting "Hi Nessie" from the side - it was Brian the Snail and his camera. Huge smile for the camera, and then for the finish line photo too.

De-chipped, picked up the goodybag and banana, then headed towards the tea stand. Heard someone call my name - it was Speedy. She'd finished about 3 mins ahead of me, and was already looking well recovered.

Met up with Mr Nessie at the monument, then headed up to Central Station for a shower (there was a queue this year - pah!!), then went for a meal.

All in all, I ran close to a PW, but I had a great time. Never thought I'd be pleased with a 2:53 half marathon, but I felt that I actually dealt with the conditions as well as I could, and finished feeling pretty good. Which for me on a hot day is not something I've done before.

6th GSR in a row, and still one of my favourite 2 races.
  • That was a really tough run yesterday. The first mile was really slow, as it was so busy. I didn't feel comfortable at all for the beginning of the race and had to take two bottles of water at the first station. Poured one over my head, and drank the other.

After that I started to lift a my pace a bit, and realised I was actually going quite well. The next few miles seemed to fly in. Running through the parks was lovely, but even in the shade of the trees the heat was taking it's toll.

Just after mile 10 I got a really strong feeling that I was going to throw up. I wondered if I had maybe taken on too much water, but looking back it was maybe just over exertion.

Entering Glasgow Green gave me a boost as I knew if wasn't far now, and I picked up my pace again. I hadn't seen any of my family along the route so I assumed they were at the finish straight. That was enough to help me sprint the last few hundred yards. Something I've never managed in a race before.

By my watch I finished in 1:39, which is the same as last year. Slightly dissapointing as I had been hoping to get nearer 1:33 this year, but I lost 2 weeks of training to illness in August, and hearing that most people struggled with the heat as well I'm now pretty pleased to have managed under 1:40.

Back again for next year definatetly. My next challenge is finding a way to get down to Newcastle in a fortnight.
  • I started in the middle/back of the blue section and it took me about 4 mins to cross the start line.
  • Despite the heat i thought this was a great race.

I loved all the support on the way round from the crowds and also the bands were superb and gave me a boost every time i passed one.

Im going to jump in and enter for next years race already. Having a full years training behind me by then will help a lot.
  • When the first mile took 14 mins + due to congestion my sister and I agreed that this was not a day to push your self so we plodded round in 2.22.42 and I'm more than happy with that considering the heat. As ever managed to find Debbo in amongst 20,000 people which was nice. I enjoyed it though I have never seen so many people walking in a race in my life. Don't blame them but I knew if I stopped I'd never get started again. Best bit the showers on the extra water station street. It was lovely.
  • First ever race for me and, seeing all the people collapsed at the roadside, I was really happy just to finish without having to stop or walk. When I got to the car at 2pm the outside temperature was registering 29 degrees!
  • MOTR-when is the Oban half?, i did it a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.Can u still register on the day and is it still at the leisure centre.Could make it a family day out as i have relatives living in Nth Connell.
  • Oh, forgot to mention meeting Alan, who was on his second race of the day. Looked a darned sight fresher than I felt at the time! Very strange sensation, running along hearing someone say "You must be Nessie then". :o)
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Great report Nessie! Sorry I missed you at the end. I saw Wee Stumpy briefly, and Womble and Speedy, but no one else.
  • Just picked up the evening times - 2:12:04.