FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• freckly good time in that heat. at least those of us who did it can look back in future years as we sit around the campfires and tell stories of how we survived the GSR of 2005.
  • People wouldn't believe us!!

Nearly 2000 that entered the half either didn't start or finish!
  • This was my first half and I can't believe how much harder it was than I anticipated! I'd ran 12 miles in training so thought I'd be ok, but the heat killed me... I wanted to get under the 2 hour mark and just missed it - 2.01.14, so I'm quite chuffed considering the weather. There's always next year!!
    I'm in agony today with a sore back which I've never experienced from running before, but i think that i was just so tired for the last few miles that i was running almost bent double!
  • Thanks boy wonder. Was a bit disappointed when I finished but looking back on it I'm really pleased with the time. Need to enter one where's the weather's going to be a bit cooler.
  • Well done all !
    I didn't manage it as I was still in pain with my disk/pirirformus problem whilst lying down after having takem lots of painkillers, so it didn't seem sensible to run, maybe it is jut as well by the sounds of it.

Hopefully I will be better for Oban half at begining of October if I get more Physio and am vigilant about wearing orthoses.

Maybe see you there MOTR, did you do it last year?
  • I ran 8 mins outside pb and had been hoping for pb after having run 40 secs out side pb at Lochleven in May in a fairly warm and very hilly course. GSR quite flat but it shows how the heat affected us all. from about mile 7 was running on empty and though at one point to stop running but ended up doing jog instead of run. I just tried to keep moving as I knew if I stopped I would not get going again. Did 1hr 40 in a training run last week at moderate pace so it shows how much slower I was . Even on the worst of days I can get about 1hr 35 ish but di 1hr 41 21 at GSR
  • Jaggy man the Oban half is 3d Oct and is at the Atlantis Leisure Centre and I think you can enter on the day I have a form at home with the number if you want or you could look uo the Atlantis.

MOTR - Mum on the run(She mentioned the Oban half) - I am a lazy and not very good typist
  • What a great event! Superb organisation, wonderful crowd support - although I missed the garden hoses. The impromptu water stations were brilliant. I don't running in heat so this was never going to be a good run for me.

I seemed to have sufficiently hydrated beforehand as I actually had to stop at the loos in the first park (never had to do that before). But then my 'stomach' joined in the fun and I had to stop at the second lot of portaloos too :-( The congestion from the start to the other side of Kingston Bridge meant I was going even more slowly than I would have done, but hey it was soooo hot. Started to actually improve as the race went (especially after my second stop) but then, splat! I hit the ground right by the 11 mile marker. Ouch! Bruised and grazed on left knee, elbow and hand (although thigh seems to have had enough cushioning). Just got up and carried on running. Not a PW for me in 2.09 but well off my normal, not-trying-for-anything-time of around 1.55.

The Red Cross people were absolutely fantastic, they must have been so busy. I felt a bit pathetic wandering in to First Aid and saying 'I've fallen over' but they cleaned and patched me up.

Aim High! did the amazing pb of 1.35 but even he started to suffer later on in the afternoon and had to resort to cold bath and iced drinks to cool down and get his rhr back to normal. Today, I just hurt where I hit the ground. My legs are fine, one of the few benefits of going so slowly.

Well done everyone who finished and commisserations to those who didn't.
  • My entry is in for 2006! Nice and early i know but it gives me a big thing to aim for. Im definately going to try and beat my 2005 time and get under 2 hours
  • I'm not sure whether to enter now or wait for the joint entry with the Women's 10k - you usually save a few pounds by entering both together.
  • My official time was 2:28:53 so I am happy under the circumstances Woohoo 6140th! Seems like a lot of people never finished so i think it was a good achievement by all.
  • Forgot to mention I weighed myself this morning and I lost at least 4 pounds yesterday, is this normal and did this happen to anyone else?
  • Apart from the Oban 1/2 (mentioned previous page) are there any other 1/2's coming up. I would like to try and get one in - shins permitting- since I was a no show for this one.

• I don't think many of us will have probs beating yesterday's time next year.
  • Got my official time. 2 hours 36 seconds. A whole 2 seconds quicker than i thought!
    3037th place.
  • PB 1:59:56

Okay, it was my first half so also my PW! I was aiming for under 2hours though!
  • well if you aimed for under 2 hrs you did it. probably one of the few who did a time the hoped for yesterday
  • Drobton - Lochaber half marathon is on 6th November. Nice flat one.

Unfortunately, as it's 2 days before my Mum's 80th birthday, I'll have to give it a miss. :o(
  • My mum looked up my time for me (don't get Evening Times in Perth!), I was about 2:29:53 or something. That is my PW in 9 / 10 years of running. I feel 100 times worse today thinking about having to walk in bits and how I haven't had to do that for ages, even if I was keeping my dad company!

I think I should admit defeat, give up and put my trainers in the bin for good.

That's how cr*p I feel today :0(
  • Debstir - don't beat yourself up. Apart from a select few everyone else didn't perform as they'd hoped. Try to be positive - the weather conditions were awful and the fact that you got round was a huge achievement. I was feeling like you yesterday but am more positive today.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Debstir - you beat me....!!
  • Just got my official time 1:39:18, 27 seconds faster than last year :p

I'll get my entry for next year in now, and hopefully shave a few minutes off next time round.
  • debstir I had run really hill lochleven half in may and felt really good at the start yesterday. pb was on the cards. did pw by 8 mins. i was like you until I began reading the stories. Felt it was just me until I realised i was lucky to at least keep running. ne small thing, should have been water nearer the finish line instead of one small bottle in the bag.
  • I also think that there should have been an offical water station in between 5 and 9 miles. I guess they rely on the fact that the locals always put on the water, hoses etc. but they really shouldn't.
  • boy wonder, that's just the point though. I didn't keep running.

I walked.

And to me (personally) that's as good as not doing it at all. But I couldn't help it. I would have been one of the casualties had I kept running (and I hope they've all recovered now). I was actually more concerned for my dad, and wanted to stay with him.

But I still feel cr*p :0(
  • I think we all walked Debstir - it's nothing to be ashamed of. As you said, you may have been one of the casualties if you'd not and that shows that you were being sensible.

Results are online
  • Debstir - I DNF'd at Lochaber, and felt like you do today. BUT, in hindsight, keeping going, or in your case keeping running, could have caused really serious problems - heatstroke is not nice.

And you wanted to stay with your Dad, which was great. Part of running is encouraging others to enjoy it too.

So, write it off to experience. Wait until the next cool day, and head out for a run. You'll soon realise how much the heat affected you.
  • must admit, I did want to stop but not having anyone to look out for i did keep going, but on auto pilot. I decided to treat it like a warm up (no joke intended) and just went between jog and run. perhaps i was fortunate not a collapse as I felt like sh... if you'll excuse the expression. I think you will try and explain to thers how it felt on the day but only if you have been there can you truly feel empathetic. how's your dad today?
  • I had to go to church last night and do the overheads and sound system. even though in t shirt and shorts I felt like I was still very hot. must have been the afterburn.