FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• boy wonder, my dad's not too good. His kidney stones are back and we think that's maybe what held him back a bit yesterday. He had to finish work and go home at 2pm today (self-employed) as he's in a bit of pain. I think that's keeping his mind off his knees though!

But I've got sympathy pains (ouch!).

Thanks everyone for your words of support. I suppose if I stop being so hard on myself and try another run in a few days I might feel okay again (or at least I really hope I do).
  • Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while, and was too shy to meet up (aw - lol)

Anyway just thought I would post saying thank you all for making me feel better about my inability to run the whole route. After all I managed 12miles without stopping two weeks ago, but was walking regularly by mile 8 :(

However managed to finish, which was a worry at some points and came in at 2:56. The good thing is, it should be an easy time to beat next year.

Well done everyone and thanks for cheering me up :D
  • try our 10K on the 25 th East Neuk 10K . listed in events. You will be ok. I was not going to do the GSR again I vowed but will be back next year. Hope your dad feels better soon.
  • only runners can feel better if everyoe else felt the same. I was the same when I found out I was not the only one to suffer. I think we all go through soul searching if we fail in our aims. n
  • living in fife I do not get the ET . still awaiting the event site results. Put me out my misery. no 11328 official time and place and final finishers

pleeeaaaase
    thanks
  • Site is up and active for few hours Boy Wonder. Your time was 01:41:00 well done!

TT ;0)
  • The official results are now available.
  • Well done everyone. It really was too hot to run.

I did 2:04 dead. A bit faster than my last two halfs so I think I'm on the road to recovery after a catalogue of injuries. 'm sure that the last mile through Glasgow green was even longer than it was last year!

I'm curious to know how much slower peole were in the heat. I'm guessing around an average of 10 minutes slower than they would have been in a light drizzle. Any advances?

Nice meeting up with some of you in front of the city chambers.

Sue
  • Hi everyone

Yes Sue it really was too hot! 4 water stops was definitely not enough. If it wasn't for the friendly local residents dishing out more I would have flagged badly.
    However the heat didn't stop me from a new pb of 1:55:02 from 1:57.
    The course will need to be wider in places next year, as it was congested quite a bit this year, I perfected my 'weaving' technique though!
  • 1.41 something.

It was my first GSR and first half marathon race so happy enough.

Although i met a friend at the start and then didn't see again throughout the race. In tonights times he beat me by a second.... I doubt he will ever let me forget it.

Sorry it was a bit of nightmare for some of you guys.... Debstir in particular. If you read some of my moans and groans in the Baxters thread i have had some really torturous runs recently and have on more than one occasion questioned my sanity in getting into this sport.

It really is strange how some days things go well but when they get ugly it is a nightmare.

I would try a couple of short runs next weekend . Just out to enjoy yourself with no targets and pressure . Don't give up.

• have been in the official site and every time I try to download results it opens up 2004
  • eventually got in to the results
  • So how did your official results compare with your 'unofficial' ones?

I'm starting to calm down a bit, but not much :0(

Trainers aren't in the bin yet, put it that way... :0)
  • Sue - By the 10 mile marks I was exactly 5 mins slower than my last half (only 4 weeks ago hillier and against a headwind) and it only just got worse from there on in so I ened up about 7 or 8 mins adrift. I was cross because I had psyched myself up for a great time as I have been really strong recently and this course is so good .

I am also cheesed off cos I feel rubbish - still - a day later.

Damn the flipping scottish weather - I am doing the GNR next year instead. My rubbish perforamance could also have been from no taper from my marathon training (doh!)
  • my unofficial was 5 secs worse. gymbunny I did Lochleven in may , a really hilly course in 1hr 34 '20secs. GSR is flat and I was looking to do PB which is 1hr 33'27
  • did some bike work and weights today. will go run tomorrow. I have realy race on Sunday. Hartley cup 6 in a team each doing 2x 1.36 miles. good for speed work
  • Oban Half - Sunday, 2nd October - enter on the day £13.50 - Registration from 10.30am.

Will wait until I see how I get on in the Mid Argyll Triathlon before I make a definite decision!
  • is that at the Atlantis centre?
  • Debstir....does that mean I have to update the time on the forum at work? Or will we just keep it the way it is? ;-)
    Spoke to a lot of runners today who ran yesterday and it was the same story all over. A couple of guys I know who ran the Aberfeldy half, which started at 1:00pm, were way down in their normal times. The heat took its toll on us all so lets hope the next one is on a cooler day....'cos there will be a next one!! ...guaranteed! ;-)
  • had a fantastic day - far too hot for any serious work so I decided to take my own advice, plod along and enjoy the day. I agree that the hoses were a real treat - although the drummers in Pollok Park could have kept me going for few miles!! Not as much music this year - bit disappointing and I thought the crowds were a bit thinner (! unlike me!) Met some nice people along the way - will definately be back next year.
  • Outstanding event..!!!
    Really well organised - friendly and welcoming - especially the impromtu water stations and hosing points around the course...

and a cup of coffee at the end!!!!

And it was fantastic to meet everyone the night before and on the morning at the start
    :o0

Oh....... and a pb by 4 minutes for me
    1:35:46

I LOVED this....

and will definitely back for another crack at it!!!!!!
  • magooo, if you know what's good for you, you'll leave the work's forum as it is ;-)

Now I've decided not to do the GNR, I might plump for the Cancer Research run at Scone Palace - I'm sure it's the same day. Or the St Andrews Hospice 10k at Strathy Park, although it's a bit of a drive!

I may however scrap my idea of aiming for a full marathon next year :-(
  • Okay - for anyone still depressed as hell about their performance. Check out this link which takes the temperatures into account, Only theoretical I know but it cheered me up no end,

http://omrr.tripod.com/race_predictor.htm#form
  • aim high a PB!!! how did you manage it when everyone else was struggling.
  • Aim High truly a legend.

Have to confess to feeling a little gloomy today—untill I came on here to dosciver I wasnt the only one who flund the going tough.

had conjured the idea that with every race i did I would get faster, well there goes that plan!!

not found official time but think i'm a shade over 2 hours..not too happy but i was glad to finish.

i just found it tough from the word go. Had done plenty training but just wasnt my day.
  • hi folks, just got back online now.

well am I glad to read how you all (well many of you) had a mare as well. Debstir do not despair!! I contemplated giving up completely on several occasions and only my complete lack of knowledge of Glasgow geography and a fear of covering just as much ground anyway trying to get back kept me going. Oh and hubby passed me as we went into Pollock park. Managed to keep him in my sights for a short while and am just glad that he only ended up beating me by about 2.5 mins - not that I can check the official times, they seem to give up at "G" on the names and about 1.55 35 on the times and I reckon I was about 1.55.57. It still worked out at a PB I guess but the last one was 7 years ago and frankly didn't count!

Am up for next year though, CAN IT BE AS HOT? Maybe I shouldn't run, I seem to be a curse - not had a cool run yet.
  • I meant to ask, is anyone else still having trouble getting hydrated? have been drinking water constantly since the finish and both hubby and I are still parched.

HR hit 202! Anyone else go that high???