FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Boy Wonder:-
    Really not sure why - was running better than I expected, and didn't seem to be affected by the heat DURING the race as I might have been..

I hydrated really well beforehand and took water at every station (and held onto it for much longer than I normally would!!!)

I did, however, suffer the effects of overheating a while AFTER the race!!!!!!

But an icy bath (20 minutes) and plenty of ice cold water brought my core temp right back down - along with my RHR!!!!!!! - and I was rehydrated fine by the evening!!!

Oh - and MaxHR during the race......
    201!!!!!!!
  • Gym bunny - what a great link. It was spot on for me comparing last year's gsr time to this year's. A full minute a mile slower!

• I drank a lot before but perhaps like you I should have held onto the bottles longer. I was still hot in to the evening. I think I have learned a salutory lesson.

Sometimes the more experienced one gets the more we do not the things we should do. Good example was one of club runners ws out injured for months simply through an injury he picked up through lack of stretching after running.

I lined up feeling good and have run in warm conditions before on really routes so I thought Sunday would be no different. I ran first 3 miles easily in under 7min miles up to first station. took some drink and ran on. I then began to feel a bit thirsty wishing I had a drink with me.
  • just read Sunday was hottest September day in Glasgow since records began. Taken on top of the traffic we ran alongside it may have been even hotter on the race.
  • noram temp 17 degrees. it was even hotter then the likes of Rio de Janerio
  • Morning. Did my yoga class last night and my muscles are nearly back to normal. Now all we're waiting for is the photos - bet they're going to be good!!
  • That form predictor link is really good. According to it I should have been around the 1:45 mark. I managed under 1:40 so I'm feeling a bit better about that now.

I checked the results yesterday evening on the site. Why don't they have positions as well as times, like they did last year?
  • If anyone is struggling to get all the pdf downloaded - just update your adobe acrobat reader and it will work fine.
  • Boy Wonder hottest day since records began!
    I am so glad you told us that. Explains a lot. I figure it added a minute a mile to my time plus another 5 in the crowd at the start so I still feel quite chirpy about the whole experience.
  • out this morning did 8 miler. still feeling rather tired. still very hot today. can't wait for the wind and rain of the winter. maybe!
  • Hi Folks

Just back on the forum - congrats to everyone for a brave effort. Like you all I worry about those who crashed and burned -very scary to see.

Sunday was personally a fantastic experience. My first ever half marathon and I think I did okay. My huge carbohydrate intake and 5 litres of water on Saturday, and the 1.5l I took en route made a big difference I feel. I managed 2:21:04, just about on target for my 10 minute mile pace and considering the congestion at Kingston bridge (12 mins 42 at mile 1!).

Mostly I was pleased that I ran all the way despite the constant battle between brain and legs (does anyone else have these 'conversations'?!). Those last two miles were utter hell though, I've never run more than ten miles so it was tough. I'm obviously very stubborn to keep going and prove myself wrong...

Felt okay re. the heat, but afterwards took a very funny turn which included inability to walk in a straight line, uncontrollable trembling of the mouth, terrible stomach cramps, nausea, pins and needles, desperate lack of will to live... In retrospect, I think this was due to hunger as I had my porridge very early on in the day. Something to bear in mind for next year.

Oops, did I just say 'next year'?! Of course I'll be doing it again, only once I've forgotten about those horrendous last two miles....

Glad all you other first timers had a good time.
  • According to the Evening Times, I got the prestigious, much coveted 5475th position! Paula will be envious....
  • I spectated and thought the atmosphere was fabulous - definitely one to do next year :oD
  • I would call myself an experienced racer and have done all types but Ducky, we all suffered. I began having probs at mile 7ish. I then began to envisage training runs and at each mile thought about the distances equivalent on them. just happy to finish in PW . Still we can say we arn on the hottest Sept day on record.
  • rubberducky you were proabably suffering heatstroke according to your symptoms/
  • It did cross my mind. Oh well, it's all a learning experience! Could have been a lot worse I suppose.
  • read previous messages and you will see how fortunate you were. some runners collapsed and others on oxygen
  • Yes, I am quite grateful that I was among the lucky ones - some of the casualties along the way looked like very experienced runners too.

Higlights of the day had to be: the Mexican band in Pollock park singing a Spanish version of 'Ring of Fire' and the octogenarian man dancing along; the bhangra street party at about 9.5 miles with music, water and lovely, lovely hoses; and going down for breakfast yesterday morning to see Sir Jimmy Saville standing in the hotel foyer!
  • Just entered the 10k race at Hopetoun House near Edinburgh - need something to aim for over the next few months!
  • You've got me interested..When is the Hopetoun House 10k as it's very local to me.
  • Freckly. Theres the Stirling 700 10k and also the St Andrews hospice 10k at strathclyde park on sept 18th.

If my calf is fine i am going to try to chop my only 10k time (rouken glen 10k) (not that 59mins will be hard to beat).
  • http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/10k/venues/hopetounhouse/ is a link for the cancer research 10k at Hopetoun House. Sorry it's not a link you can click on - not sure how to do that!! There is a limit of 1000 places - I'm number 680.

Strathclyde Park is really close to me so I might think about that one.
  • Good afternoon all-sorry I havent posted until now-didnt get home until 5.30pm on sunday after driving back to sunderland after the run so I was shattered, then yesterday went to work then poped up to see my dad as it was his birthday,so here i am!!!
    What a day on sunday-Started with a long drive up at 5.30am,arriving in glasgow at 8am.Like everyone else the hot weather played its part in my time-1hr 51ms(my watch),normally im 1hr 42/44ms.I ran in blackpool in june in similar hot weather and the lesson i learned was to run with a sponge and at every water station put some water onto the sponge and cool yourself down,it worked a treat!!!Last year i ran the gsr in 1hr42ms,so 9mins difference.
    It was good crack going round but I did see quite a few people struggling with the heat.I did my best to egg them on but I know how hard it is.
    A big well done to everyone who ran the gsr AND ive already entered next years GSR ,on line,this morning!

Its the GNR next in two weeks!!!!
  • Freckly Fraggie What about the Cumbrian Half to aim for!! Apparently it's a great run. I couldn't do Glasgow cos of last minute injuries and had trained hard for it so am now considering this half.
  • ALI+FRECKLY-im doing the cumbrian half and recommend it.I did it last year and its a good run,pretty flat.Plus if you enter now you might get your name printed on the back of your t-shirt,with everyone else.
  • Dissapointed to find that the Stirling 700 10K is closed to entries now.

Looks like St. Andrews Hospice 10K in Strathclyde Park - anyone else doing it?
  • What a wonderful day it was !.
    So hot and the support was equally so.
    A big thankyou again to all the people of Glasgow and all associated with the Great Run.
    I will be back next year !
    Keep smiling and enjoy life !!!