Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure that I can get my training back up there in time for The Cumbrian Half. My last long run was over three weeks ago when I did 10miles since then I've been plagued with injuries so only managed a couple of 3milers. Plan to start back next week but in the meantime I'm cycling. With the half in less than 6 weeks time is it wise to enter. I entered the Glasgow and the disappointment of not running it especially when your race pack appears is hard.
  • Options
    Alison-Only you can answer if you are fit enough for the cumbrian Half.It looks as though you have been keeping yourself fit just to get around the course.I would suggest doing the run but take it easy,it is a flat course.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Alison - I'm sure you could get round. I did Glasgow on a total of 30 miles in the six weeks before it. My time was abysmal, but I got round.

Could someone who has the evening times see what position I came, and tell me how many finished altogether. My official time was 2.30.21. Thanks.
  • Options
    Did anyone else see the old dear who was staggering about at one lot of the toilets - she kept saying "come on" or things like that by way of encouragement (very strong Glasgow accent, struggled a bit!). She was dressed as though she was going to run - cycling shorts and trainers and she was clutching a bottle of water. I have my doubts it was water though - she could barely stand!! or did I hallucinate her? Surely I'd hallucinate something nicer than that?
  • Options
    Deborah Sanderman? if so, you are 6259 out of 7666.

:D
  • Options
    debbo - you were 6259th out of 7666
  • Options
    Congratulations to all who ran on Sunday. This was the first half marathon I have run in nearly 10 years and I don't intend leaving it that long again.

I was well pleased with my 1:38:50 and impressed with how friendly everyone was on the day.

This has certainly helped me find the bug again - now onto the next one.
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Thanks Seachelle and Grazer. At least quite a few finished behind me!
  • Options
    Hi Debbo, including me!!

I came 7202, but I still arrived.

Michelle.
  • Options
    Hi all

well done all who ran on Sunday, the heat proved too much for some. A number of people collapsed in a state.

For the first time ever after a race I was sick just outside my front door and I was feeling faint. I can only put that down to being exposed to warm conditions for so long...(and a small matter of running the 10K AND the half-marathon) lol.

Considering my limited training and low mileage I ran quite well.

10K - 38:39
    Half - 1:55:30

I'll be sticking to shorter races now. 5K's to 10K's. Maybe the occasional 10 miler and half.

One thing is for sure. I'll NOT be running the double next year.
  • Options
    hats off yo you Guiseppe. 38 mins in that heat and followed by 1hr 55 no wonder you felt faint. I did the half and felt queasy.

Spoke with a relative who has friends did the GSR. I asked how they got on and she said they enjoyed it until I found they walked the whole course. I do not feel they did the GSR . fair enough walk and run but to walk the whole way then tell of how they did the GSR is a bit of a slap in the face to those of us who suffered. any other points of view.
  • Options
    should a time limit be imposed
  • Options
    I saw your name Guiseppe.
    Twice obviously.

Superhuman effort.

Well done...i doth my cap to you.

COTH!
  • Options
    I'm presuming they walked 10K!

I've decided not to do another half this year. Might to the St Andrews Hospice 10k - anyone know how to enter it? It had details in the freebie local paper a few weeks ago but it's now in me blue recycling bin and can't be bothered digging it out!!
  • Options
    Anyone going to Inverness for the 2nd October? I'm skipping over to that forum now I think. I'll pop back in here every now and again though!
  • Options
    anyhow, its been good to make so many acquaintances. I may be back next year or may try the Aberfeldy. Glasgow is getting a bit too big. Cannot really be bothered with trying to get through bottlenecks at the start. just means if trying for a time, one has to then speed up when it clears.
  • Options
    Photos are online now!! The event doesn't seem to be in the list yet. If you put your surname in then the Great Scottish Run should appear in the list.

I don't think I'll be purchasing any of mine! I really need to try and get a white running vest from Macmillan. The green one makes me look really ill!!!
  • Options
    Would love to get back out running after sunday. My legs have recovered but my foot hasn't. it's sore to put pressure on, im hoping it's not a stress fracture. I will give it a few days
  • Options
    Congratulations Guiseppe - massive effort! I am not worthy!

I found this to be the worse race I had ever run! I know the heat affected everyone and I am truly comforted to find out, it wasn't just me who is disappointed in their time because of it. Came in at 2:03, 8 mins slower than my PB.

I thought I had done everything correctly i.e. drank 2litres of water on Saturday, drank constantly throughout the race, but still I felt exhausted as early on as the 7 mile mark.

I'm going on holiday on Monday and plan to rest my weary bones for a week. Congratulations to everyone for completing the race and well done to all you high achievers!
  • Options
    Well done to all of you...

I know i found it tough going with that heat.

I was pleased with my 1:58:22 though

see you all next year ;-)
  • Options
    Drobton-other half's that are coming up are

Oban-2nd Oct
    Jedburgh-30th Oct
    Lochaber(Fort William) 6th Nov

I have done all of these over the past 3 or 4 years
    If you want flat Lochaber is the best bet.
    If hills are your thing then Oban has a couple of hills at halfway and near the end(12.5 miles) Jedburgh has a few little ups and downs in the first 2-3 miles then its flat till halfway where this another little hill then flat again till 11 miles where there is a bigish hill but when you get to the top its downhill all the way to the finish.

My fastest time at any of these was achieved at Jedburgh 1hr 35 mins(my pb at the time was 1hr 31min)
    If you plan to do one of them maybe i will see you there as i plan to do them all(fingers crossed) Good luck whatever you choose
  • Options
    Boy Wonder- Re walking the course it depends on their reason for walking it, that may be a huge achievement for them. I plan to walk the Race for Life 5K with my mum next year, she has had 6 joint replacements because of Psioriatic Arthritis and has recently taken up walking as a hobby. She realised she was in as much agony walking 200yds as she was walking 2000yds so she might as well do the 2000yds and burn more cals and build more muscle. When she walks the 5k next summer it will be more of an achievement than me running a marathon. So don't knock people until you've walked a mile in their shoes.

TT ;0)
  • Options
    but people like your mum will be in the minority. the people I kmow who wlaked the course were in good health. its like people parking in disabled bays. the majority have nothing wrong.
  • Options
    did you read the article in the RW a few months back about people who walk and are able to run instead of run/walk. I have look at people like your mum who at least are trying to do something unlike lazy sods who do [ark in disabled bays and will not use their legs at all. its one of my bugbears. I am always getting abuse when I point out what they are doing. all the best to your mum.
  • Options
    My mum works as an member of the disability allowance tribunals so she see's a lot of people who claim to be disabled when there is bugger all wrong with them. Even one guy who was in a wheelchair with nothing physically wrong with him, doc report said if he didn't get up and start walking within the next year he wouldn't be able to anymore, nuts, but then that's got to be a mental illness.

So I know where your coming from, but equally there are lots of people who are disabled who don't look it so be careful who you accost at the disabled bays. Check whether they have blue badge before you go opening ur gob LOL. They could have MS for instance and not be able to walk far but look otherwise healthy.

I on the other hand always park at the other end of the car park so I have to walk, leaving the spaces at the front for peeps with young children, disabled and elderly. Unfortunately as u say there are lots of lazy sods who would drive thru the supermarket if they could.

But they'll end up fat sods who'll die young so they'll pay for it in the end.

TT ;0)
  • Options
    I have worked voluntarily with disbled groups which is why when I see able people being lazy and selfish i tend to speak out even if it means getting a mouthful. Recent case- one guy zooms in jumps out of car jogs into the shop in a hurry. I ask if he has a badge which he has. But if he could run inot the shop and not be out of breath etc surely he could walk but as you say some are given badges willy nilly and yet my wife has a friend with MS who will not apply for a badge as she wnats to walk if possible. One taxi driver gave me grief in a busy car aprk. I told him if laziness was a disabilty he would get a badge made him even worse as a I left him shouting and swearing making a fool of himself.
  • Options
    I feel we seem to be getting onot another thread here.
  • Options
    Thanks J.M.

Oban may be to soon for me depending how long I have to rest up for. The others could be an option.