Old marathon results

Comments

• Hello Graham. A friend of mine ran the London Marathon in 1982, he says his time was around 3hours 20 minutes. It would be great if you could find his actual time! His name is Peter Page.

Thanks

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Christopher - all the London Marathon results, back to 1981 are in the millionth finisher website.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/shopping/shop/performance-running-range/product/one-million-t-shirt/

• His name's not appearing? I wonder how reliable the listing is back in 1982.

• Hi Chris

I don't have London results for any of the years. All my results are for the Piccadilly Radio Charity Half Marathon for 1982,1983 and 1984 plus various other half marathons and shorter races in the north west.

I will try to get back to this before Christmas and confirm times for anyone who has asked, as long as I can find them.

Many apologies for the delay.

• Hi Phil (Dawson)

I have sent you a private message re your marathon positions and times for 1982 and 1984 in the Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon, but just in case my message goes to your junk mail, here are your results :

1982 Position 1174 Time : 3 hrs 24 mins 22 secs

1984 Position 830   Time   3 hrs 07 mins 43 secs

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Graham

• Hi Rachel (Trew)

I have sent you a private message re your dad's (Rod Leyland) marathon position and times for 1982 in the Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon, but just in case my message goes to your junk mail, here is his result :

1982 Position 400 Time : 3 hrs 00 mins 10 secs

Of course, that was only his clock time and makes no allowance for the time taken to cross the start line as the technology did not exist back then. It was most definitely a sub 3 hour time though and maybe Rod will remember how long it took him to cross the start line.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Graham

• Thanks so much Graham for your time and the email you sent me with details!
  • Hi graham not sure if this chats active still but I was wondering if you could check for my dads results.
    Details are:
    John burton 
    Manchester Piccadilly marathon 
    year - 1983/84 (thinks 83)
    time- 3h 45ish 

no club

Many thanks 
  • Hi Kate

This chat is still active and I'll try to look for your dad John Burton's result soon. I have results for both 1983 and 1984 in the Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon, so hopefully, we can track him down !

Cheers
    Graham
  • Hi Graham, I started running in 1982 aged 28 and ran the 83 anf 84 piccadilly marathons... and thankfully I am still running albeit it a little slower now... I've also got the results of the 83 piccadilly marathon and I might even have some pictures hidden away somewhere... let me know if i can help... Margaret
  • Hi Graham, you're providing an invaluable service to us old runners! I salute you.
    Can you help with my missing marathon times? I appreciate that they seem to be bit later than the previous requests but maybe you have them? The format is
    Bib No. Date Race
    2212 30-Jun-85 Piccadilly Radio Marathon
    G160 01-Sep-85 Adidas British Marathon Bolton
    4056 17-Aug-86 Piccadilly British Marathon Bolton

If you would like your results scanning to a pdf file let me know and I'd happily help. Thanks Dennis
  • Hi Graham, Have seen your list - can I add another one?
    Bib - 495 Date - 12-Feb-84 Piccadilly Radio Cross Country (3.5 miles)
    Thanks very much
  • Hi Graham.... was wondering if you could look in the results of the 1983 Piccadilly what time Freddie Cook ran? Around 4 hours I am guessing. This was my dad's only marathon and as I run my first marathon, the London on April 23rd, some 34 years later on I would love to find out his his time. My old dad passed away a few years back...and I will be thinking of him when I run later this month. Thanks in advance. Much appreciated. Rob Cook. rob.cook@dell.com
  • Hi Dennis (Yarwood) Many thanks for your very kind comments. Even though I was not a good runner and could never be described as a "natural" (just ask anyone who was at Swinton Jog Fit Club in the early 80's !), I still enjoyed the sport immensely and have very happy memories of those times, so it is a pleasure to be able to help others from that "golden" age !!!

Unfortunately, I do not have any results after 1984, except for three races which I did in East Anglia in 1990-91 when I resumed running after an absence of almost six years (the comeback did not go particularly well), but I have found your result in the Piccadilly Radio Cross Country on 12th February 1984 and here it is -

Position 271st - Time : 28:06

I was just under 3 minutes behind you.

I can certainly help with results from 1982,1983 and 1984 in the main.

If you want photographic evidence, I can provide this if you would like to give me your E-mail address, and may I take this opportunity of wishing you a very Happy Easter.

Cheers Graham
  • Hi Rob (Cook), I have sent you a private E-mail about your dad Freddie Cook's 1983 race time (no luck so far) but I have explained the reasons why and have not given up hope. Good luck next Sunday in London, and I will keep trying.
  • Hi Kate (1999) - I have found an entry for a John W. Burton from Blakeley with race number 1541 in 1983, but have yet to find his name in the list of finishers for that year. Some finishers were designated "unknown" in the results as they presumably could not be identified by the race officials or something had gone wrong with the recording of finishers. In those days, well before the internet, technology was not nearly as advanced and runners did not have chips in their shoes, as they do nowadays. Is John certain of his time, because I have checked from 3hrs 15mins through to 4hrs 15 mins and not found his name ? It may just be my eyesight, of course ! Cheers Graham
  • Hi Giddy (Plodder) - Do you have any idea what time your dad Richard Thomas ran in 1982 and where he was living at the time ? There may well be more than one Richard Thomas amongst the entries and this would help me to narrow down the search area should this be the case. Many thanks. Graham
  • Hi Graham, please could you try and find my dad's result from the Picadilly marathon? It was either 83 or 84. Stuart Furness running for Blackburn harriers. He thinks he finished in the top 50. If you could send a photo of the results to furnie26@hotmail.com that would be great. Thanks.
  • James7James7 ✭✭
    This is a very, very long shot, but if anyone has Tewkesbury half marathon results from the 1980s I'd be interested to hear.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Graham%20%20Stirling">Graham Stirling</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><p>I do not know if anyone is still interested in this thread or reads it, but I have the full Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon results for 1982,1983 and 1984, as I ran it in 1982 and 1983.</p> <p>If Jonah8 and Chris Ashcroft could give me as much detail as possible (full names, club if any and rough finishing time), I would be happy to look it up for them and post it here.</p> <p>Thanks</p></div>
    </blockquote>
    Hiya Graham...  I'm now 55 and have a crippling condition...im focusing in some if my achievements over the years one of which was the Piccadilly Marathon in 1983 which u dud wuth 5 weeks notice and 1 training run.  
    If you could locate my result tgat would be amazing mate
    David McLaughlin 
    3 Broomfield avenue
    Blackley
    Manchester m9
    Finished in approx 5 hours 50 I believe but would like to confirm 

Many thanks for all the helpnyou have given everyone. I can atest to what it means to us. I've lost my certificate and medal years ago so it's simply a memory now 
  • Hi if anyone could help me I would extremely grateful. 
    I ran the Knowsley Half Marathon on the 15th April 1985 bit do not know my time. If anyone knows how to get the results could you please pm me.
  • Hi Graham
    I ran the Piccadilly marathon in 1983 and my time was about 3:21 and the swintex 25k in 83 in roughly 1:38. Could you please confirm my times

Greatly appreciated

Graham Nellist ( Graham.nellist10@gmail.com )
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div><a rel="nofollow">dennisyarwood</a> said:</div>
    <div>Hi Graham, you're providing an invaluable service to us old runners! I salute you.

Can you help with my missing marathon times? I appreciate that they seem to be bit later than the previous requests but maybe you have them? The format is

Bib No. Date Race

If you would like your results scanning to a pdf file let me know and I'd happily help. Thanks Dennis</div>
    </blockquote>
    Hi Dennis! I have found a copy of the 1985 Piccadilly Marathon results.

It’s on Facebook of all places in a group dedicated to old race results but unfortunately this forum won’t let me post the link as I only just joined, specifically to let you know I found them. 

There are 8 pages so I wasn’t able to look through them all for your result but if you want to let me know your rough time I can either look it up or if you prefer send me your email address and I’ll send you the link so you’ll have them all ? 
  • Hi...old thread I know, but I have the 1984 Piccadilly Marathon results magazine if anyone needs their results...my time was 3.27...after I got through the crowds to start! :)
  • Graham Stirling - a thousand apologies for just disappearing from this forum. Thanks for finding my results - please send the evidence to me via email - dennisyarwood66@gmail.com.

livinglifejones - many thanks for coming back - please send the info via email as above.

Thanks all

Still looking for more results from 1985, 1986 & 1987 specifically the following runs

956 1985 Ciba-Geigy 10
    386 1985 Golden Square Half Marathon
    400 01-Jun-85 Radcliffe Carnival 3 mile Fun Run
    465 1985 Neil Cliffe Cancer Appeal (12 miles)
    4365 1985 Oldham 10k
    9319 16-Mar-86 Piccadilly Radio Cross Country (3.5 miles)
    25-May-86 The Race Against Time - Sport Aid - Run the World
    1099 21-Sep-86 The Bollington Nine
    30-Nov-86 North Cheshire-South Manchester 10k League - #1 Flixton
    28-Dec-86 Festive '5' Wythenshawe Park
    25-Jan-87 North Cheshire-South Manchester 10k League - #2 Birchwood
    22-Feb-87 North Cheshire-South Manchester 10k League - #3 Stretford
    08-Mar-87 Farnworth Youth Centre 4 Mile Fun Trot
    08-Mar-87 Mornington 10k
    131 22-Mar-87 Turton Trot - 6.5 mile
    29-Mar-87 North Cheshire-South Manchester 10k League - #4 Chorlton
    26-Apr-87 North Cheshire-South Manchester 10k League - #5 Cadishead
  • Not sure if this thread is still active, but trying to track down the time for Philip Pugh who ran his first marathon art London in 1990.

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Louise.. the results archive from 1990 list two 'P Pugh' from that year.  One of them ran 4:28.21 and the other 4:37.37.  There doesn't seem to be a way to find the christian names unfortunately.
  • Hi Graham Stirling. I've only just come across this thread, and I'd be really grateful if you could let me know my time when I ran the Piccadilly marathon in 1983 (or it could have been 1984). My time would have been around 3hrs 20mins. I'm afraid I've lost all my various results sheets over the years. My e-mail is les.kilsby@ntlworld.com. Thanks
  • Have just completed the 2019 Manchester Marathon as a 70+ vet and am trying to find information about my last marathon which was the Piccadilly British Marathon Bolton either 1986 or 1987 ( there is no indication on the medal) I would have finished approx 3-45/3-50 and I was a member of Clayton-le-Moors Harriers Neil Hargreaves. any information would be great thanks
  • Hello I wonder if anybody can help! I ran in both the1982 and 1983 Manchester Piccadilly Marathons and would like to know my finish times. Name Anthony Fulop 1982 I think it was around 4 hours plus. 1983 3.5 hours plus. Your help would be most appreciated. Tony