Old marathon results

13»

Comments

• YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    TonyF said:
    Hello I wonder if anybody can help! I ran in both the1982 and 1983 Manchester Piccadilly Marathons and would like to know my finish times. Name Anthony Fulop 1982 I think it was around 4 hours plus. 1983 3.5 hours plus. Your help would be most appreciated. Tony
    Central Library's probably your best bet with the MEN archives:

https://www.manchester.gov.uk/directory_record/212388/historical_newspapers/category/1364/local_history

There's a couple of users on Fetch that have registered their finishing times from 1982;

https://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewracedetails.php?id=79425

Might be worth contacting them, too.

All the best.
  • Hi everyone. I should be able to help with most of these as I have all the Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon results for 1982,1983 and 1984. I have only just seen some of the messages as I have not logged on for a while, but as I have finally retired from work, I can set aside some time to look them up.

If you can bear with me folks, I will do my best to sort out those who have asked for their times for any of those years and post them on here, as well as send as private messages for those who have supplied E-mail addresses.

Cheers Graham
  • > @TonyF said:
    > Hello I wonder if anybody can help! I ran in both the1982 and 1983 Manchester Piccadilly Marathons and would like to know my finish times. Name Anthony Fulop 1982 I think it was around 4 hours plus. 1983 3.5 hours plus. Your help would be most appreciated. Tony

Hi Tony

Here are your results for the Piccadilly Radio Charity Marathon for both years :smile:

1982 Position 3993rd Time : 4:11:12
    1983 Position 2328th Time : 3:35:37

In 1983, they incorrectly had your surname down as Fillop (they got it right in 1982).

If you can give me an E-mail address, I am more than happy to send you photographic evidence for both years.

Cheers and all the best

Graham Stirling
  • Hi. Can anybody help me. I’m looking for my late mother in laws marathon details she would of took part somewhere between 1982-1985 her name was Lorraine Ruane. Is there anywhere I could locate them? Thank you. 
  • Hi All. Trying to find some old Marathon times for my Boss. Can any body help? Looking for his Marathon times for London Marathon between 81 and 83? Roger M. De Haan. Should be around 3 hour mark. Thanks in advance. Pete
  • Richy88Richy88 ✭✭
    I hope, there are all of them that necessary to make sure into the training.
  • Dear Graham, Have you got access to the 1981-3 London Marathon results. My dad finished all three and I have tried to get the results online. Any help would be fantastic as he has passed away a few years back and I want to run a trail marathon in honour of him. His name is Ivo Maestrini.

Thank you in advance Mick
  • Hi everyone - unfortunately, I don't have the full results for any of the London Marathons, so for anyone wanting these, I am unable to be of assistance. It may well be that one of the Facebook Groups for Old Results and Photos may be able to help. Sorry not to have better news on those, but I can help with the Piccadilly Radio Marathons in 1982, 1983 and 1984 as well as a number of other races in the North West during those years. Cheers and stay safe. Graham
  • Hi Graham, during the lockdown I've been going through various archives, sorting my running records into some kind of order.
    I ran the Manchester Piccadilly Marathon in March 1983, finishing around 4:45 if I remember correctly.
    I would love to know the more exact time as this was my first ever marathon.
    I have done a few others since, all in a better time than that (except for a recent iron distance triathlon).
    e-mail is swisschipmaster@gmail.com
    Many thanks, Tim Smith (although my name may be down as Timothy)
  • Hi Tim. I have only just seen your comment and am so sorry. I will look for your result and try to E-mail it to you. I have a good magnifying glass now, so should hopefully be able to locate it and send it on to you. The computer print for 1983 was not at all good, but the new magnifying glass will help immensely. Will get back to you soon. Cheers Graham
  • Hi Graham. Thank you for your amazing work on this thread. I'm hoping it's still active. I'm running my very first marathon in 2 weeks the London. My Dad was a keen runner in the 80s and did the Bolton and Manchester marathons. I know you don't have Bolton marathons but my dad thinks he ran Manchester marathons around mid 80s. Possibly a picadilly one??? He thinksnhe ran them around 83 to 87. He believes his time was around the 3.39 Mark. His name was Stephen Miller. Is there any way you can search for me? Would mean a lot if I could give him some more information as he is 70 now and likes to remember this information. 
    Thanks 
  • Can anyone help, I am looking for my times from the 1982 Edinburgh Marathon from 1982 and the 1983 Motherwell Marathon. Can anyone help or advise who may be able to help, thanks Grahame Forsyth
  • Hi, what an amazing thread and incredible work Graham!

I am looking for the London Marathon results for around 1981-1985 as my father-in-law ran it and he can't remember what time he did it in.

I know the London Marathon website published ALL the results in 2016 for the millionth runner promo but now they seem to have taken it down?!

Is there anyway I can find the time he ran it in? His name is Peter Neville.

Thanks so much.
  • Hi there, I am also looking for my father's result from 1981. I have sent you a DM regarding this. Is there no online way to find this out? Many thanks, Ed
  • I’ve searched everywhere I can think of but can’t find anything online. I’ll keep looking. 
  • Hi I am entered to run Manchester Marathon in April 2022. My last was London in 1986. Its going to be "interesting" to find out how I get on after a 36 year break. I think I did it in three and half hours but not too sure. My only other Marathon was Bolton 1985 and I genuinely have no idea how long that one took me. I am looking for results from both events if anyone can help. Regards. Mike
  • This is exactly what I wanted to know. Glad you posted it.
  • Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭
    Big long shot here but any chance of results for the Newbury Sprint Triathlon in 1998...?
  • Why do they bother still having these forums  :/
  • Hi Graham

Would you be able to find anything on a John lenthall.
    A very good runner from Telford Shropshire in the 1980s to 1997.

Pretty sure he did london marathon in 85 or 87.
    2.28 hr sort of time

Regards
    Danlenth@gmail.com
  • Hi im trying to find the following female times for london marathon 1999 if you could help this would be fantastic
    Christine Courtney
    Trish Goodwin
    Carolyn robson
    Mary frazer
    Sandra gaughan
    Katie Secombe
    Liz (Elizabeth) bangs
    Cath young
    All from blyth running club

Thank you so much
  • > @south74 said:
    > Hi im trying to find the following female times for london marathon 1990 if you could help this would be fantastic
    > Christine Courtney
    > Trish Goodwin
    > Carolyn robson
    > Mary frazer
    > Sandra gaughan
    > Katie Secombe
    > Liz (Elizabeth) bangs
    > Cath young
    > All from blyth running club
    >
    > Thank you so much

Sorry 1990
  • I do not think you can find your old marathon results, as records from the early 1980s may not have been digitized. However, first, try contacting the race organizers to see if they can help you. They may have access to old records that you can use to find your times. If that doesn't work, you can also try searching online for the results from the races. Finally, you can also try searching for results from other races you ran in the same time period. Hopefully one of these strategies will help you find the results you are looking for. Good luck!
  • > @miller said:
    > Hi Graham. Thank you for your amazing work on this thread. I'm hoping it's still active. I'm running my very first marathon in 2 weeks the London. My Dad was a keen runner in the 80s and did the Bolton and Manchester marathons. I know you don't have Bolton marathons but my dad thinks he ran Manchester marathons around mid 80s. Possibly a picadilly one??? He thinksnhe ran them around 83 to 87. He believes his time was around the 3.39 Mark. His name was Stephen Miller. Is there any way you can search for me? Would mean a lot if I could give him some more information as he is 70 now and likes to remember this information. 
    Thanks 

Hi Miller

Sorry that I have only just got back to this, as I had not logged onto the site for quite a while now. I have sent you a PM regarding the search for your dads time, and will see what I can find with the limited information I have, If you can supply more details as requested in the PM, it will help in the search. Cheers and thanks.

Graham Stirling
  • Hi Graham

Like many others I’ve landed here looking for Manchester Marathon information. It’s my dad’s records I’m after as he’s sadly passed away and don’t have a great deal of information.
    He just decided to do a marathon quite randomly and set about training. He did the Manchester Marathon first in the early 1980’s and finished around 3 hours 16 minutes which he was very proud of. He did the Bolton Marathon next. I remember he arrived late and had to sprint to the start and started at the back. He ran 3 hours 26 minutes and I believe his number was 8748 I have the ‘proof’ picture of him finishing but whilst it says it’s the Bolton Marathon it doesn’t show the year.
    I think he retired whilst he was on top or sulked because he didn’t improve on his previous time!
    I’m really hoping you could fill in some of the gaps. My dad’s name was Anthony Smith I don’t think he was affiliated to a running club but if he had to have been would have put down Sale Harriers.

I’d be interested in the dates and his actual time for the Manchester Marathon

Kind Regards

Andy Smith