***Runners: your support team is announced

Comments

• I'll be supporting a couple of runners this Sunday, will pop over to the RW support area and say hi... You can allocate me to any runuer/group as needs arise!!
  • Danni, it's my first too and like you I only managed 14 miles as my longest due to injury. I'm anticipating a time similar to yours but am going for the "run 11 mins, walk 1" strategy from the off to try and conserve energy. thought I might follow the 11 minute milers to begin with and then see how I feel in terms of either going up to 10 min miles or just doing a "get your round" strategy.

What's your number and what start/pen are you in? I'm 40712, red start, pen 9. If you're there, we can look out for each other and try to go round together for some/all of the time maybe?

Us marathon virgins have to stick together!

Any support from RW forumites at mile 17 or anywhere else will be much, much appreciated. Thank you all.
  • Ok that sounds a good strategy. I was going to run 5 walk 1 with the RW pace group but if we can run together that would be even better. I'm number 49783 and I'm red start but not sure what pen yet. I did say (prior to injury) that I was aiming for 4.5hrs..can I just swap pens I wonder to your one....? I'll look out for you. I'm trying to sign up for the RW support, you should do the same...I'll give you details in a sec...Danni
  • team 1 will shout for you guys!!! if you can get your name on your vest, you will find much more personal support all the way round, people love to encourage but its hard to know what to shout sometimes, if you can identify someone it makes it so much easier to really put your heart into it!
  • is anyone in the Green start...anyone???
    think i overestimated my time and now feel like im mieesing out on the great RW pasemaker groups etc..want the 'get round stratergy' but how will i find anyone..am hoping under 6 hrs..
  • Caramac, my name is on my vest (Alison), shouts very gratefully received.

Danni, when you get your number at the Expo, it has your pen number on a round sticker at the foot. You can change pens if you go to the help desk at the Expo but they are happier if you change down to a slower pen than up. Pen 9 is for runners who estimated a finish time of 4.45 and longer. You might be a pen further up if you estimated 4.30. I think there is a meeting point for all forum runners so will find out and post it on here as it might be easier if we met up there than tried to find each other in the large pens!

It will be good to give each other encouragement and moral support!! Look forward to seeing you Sunday.
  • Nicola, the RW pacers will be holding placards with details of their pacing clearly displayed. Just make sure you go to the back of the pen if you are predicting a slower time as otherwise you might start too quickly with the faster runners at the front of the pen.

You are welcome to meet with Danni and me if you want to try our run/walk strategy, target time 5 and a half?
  • Danni, Red start forumites are meeting at the Bandstand in Greenwich Park from 8 am onwards. See you there! Where are you travelling from?
  • Nicola Wood

I'm at the green start - what does this mean? I am supposed to be faster if so I'm done for. I can't even remember what time I put on my application form as I hadn't started thinking about training by then. Are there no pace groups in the pens at the Green Start. Can feel my panic levels rising again - arghhhhhhh!
  • Am I too late to join in? - hubby and son at 14 and 22 miles but someone at 17 would be great too.

My number is 11866 and will be wearing blue and yellow Alzheimer's Society Stampeders t-shirt with LYNDA on the front.

Anything to give a much needed boost will be welcome.

Boing........Boing,,,,,,,,Boing,,,,,,,,Boing
  • Sweetestthing thanks - but are you starting at red??
    I am starting at green and there doesnt appear to be any RWpacers there?
    would be great it could meet you as the routes join but not very likely..

FoxyT - not sure what green means! dont panic though..what time you thinking of now - im looking at 6 i guess
  • Nicola, doesn't green merge with blue fairly early on? I think in under a mile (look in the Marathon News we got recently). So you could catch up with the RW pacers then, otherwise you then merge with Red start at just before 3 miles, so look out for Danni and me there.
  • Nicola Wood
    Bit of a bummer about the lack of pace groups at green as I am a lousy self pacer and never wear a watch - Will get one soon! Ideally no longer than 5 hours.
  • Support at this point would be great. 17 miles is where the 6 weeks out with injury will start to show, I think!!

Staying in London over the weekend with partner,Tania. She's looking for somewhere to support from and hopefully have company. I'm more stressed about her being on her own than actually running the blessed thing!
    Can she look for a specific team?

Im 18607, Normski, with a white sleeveless top adorned with my company logo - Clinovia.

Thanx,Guys
  • Sweetest Thing and Nicola,

I'll be coming in from Weybridge but no trains apparantly! I can't get to the start until about 8.10am now..Nicola what number at you? ST, I'll see you at the Bandstand about 8.20ish? What time are you planning on getting there? Danni
  • would it be a good idea to put our formulite on front of vest
    trouble is I may get mistaken
  • Danni, I am going to try and get in for about the same time as you. I'm sure we'll spot each other!

I'm coming in from Oxted and they don't have any early trains either. Might drive to Croydon and get a train from there.

Majorly wibbly now!
  • Normski..I'm running for a charity, Tania could stand with them/near them and cheer you on, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to have her with them..as long as you're not running for another charity I take it?! At least you will know exactly where Tania will be. I would say she could stand with my friends and family but not quite sure where they are going to be yet...somewhere on the Highway I think.
    Lyndylou, are you in the red start? If so you can join myself and Sweetest Thing and be cheered on by the RW Support at mile 17! What time are you aiming for? Danni
  • Hey World Champion, you are a bike fan I see?! Me too! Danni
  • Danni -
    race no is 32107 - have bright yellow vest - unfortunately!- with my name on. prob be wearing waterproof though with this forecast!
  • I am number 189 and a cheer would be much appreciated. I'll be in navy shorts and vest with go-faster turquoise stripes!! My boyfriend is spectating for the first time - he usually runs it - and I am hoping that he will at least get to see me a couple of times!

Good luck to everyone - I am sooooo nervous!
  • Does anyone know how far the Greenwhich Park bandstand is from the red start and how far is that from Blackheath station because that's where I'll be coming in to ?
  • I live just right around the 13th Mile mark! (Shadwell) I will be there to cheer everyone on!!

• Never been into a chat room before but this has proved amazing - I'm majorly terrified and also have missed 6 weeks through injury (Normski). Feel a lot more normal now!

I'm on Blue start and definitely a plodder rather than a hare!

GOOD LUCK...
  • Hello! Good luck everyone. I'm number 36419 and I'll be in a red Childline shirt with 'Lame Jane' on it (yep, also been out for a few weeks with injury!)
  • Hi I'm number 3532 on the blue start wearing Dawlish Coaster T'shirt and running for Mission to Deep Sea Fishermen.
    I'm very excited second FLM hoping to improve on 2001 time.
    Goood Luck everyone.
  • Evening all. First time for me too. I'm red start, pen 9, 35063 sporting a fetching bright red Heart Runners t-shirt. Running in memory of my dad who died aged 43 in 1980. Just want to finish to make him proud. All cheers of encouragement gratefully received!

Aiming to finish in daylight, although 5 hours or under would be just splendid. See you all there (ps plan to have many packs of Jelly Babies secreted about my person - catch me if you can!!).
  • Good luck to you all on Sunday. I didn't get in unfortunately, but did the Paris marathon last Sunday. It was my first and the greatest experience of my life. One important bit of advice is don't try and run too close to the pace makers. I started behind the 3hrs 30 hares and it was very congested. I saw a couple of people tumble as a result. I managed to get in front of them and kept a safe distance where there was loads of space and it was far less stressful. Don't fall into the trap of getting too close. Have a great time.
  • Hi All,
    I'm 55813 wearing a white vest and would really appreciate a cheer.Thanks again-Mike
  • oh gosh probably way too late but it would be great of i can get a boost! I'm 44896 and will be dressed as in the pic (haha knew there was a reason for taking that photo!!) a black knee support may also be in evidence...and slight limp though am hoping not!

any other red starters fancy plodding with me?

Al