5K times

2»

Comments

• Hi all, looking for some advice. Just recently got back into running, I've just done a couple of 5ks. However, my heart rate shoots into zone 5 (maximum) for the duration of the run, just read up and this is not healthy. I don't feel like I'm going very fast though. Any thoughts?
    Cheers William.
  • I just ran a 5k in 27:00 for the first time in my life. I never really tried running or anything, I just decided that I'm going to do it no matter what. Is that a decent time for someone who just ran his first 5k ever?
  • > @aiM9x said:
    > Hi all, looking for some advice. Just recently got back into running, I've just done a couple of 5ks. However, my heart rate shoots into zone 5 (maximum) for the duration of the run, just read up and this is not healthy. I don't feel like I'm going very fast though. Any thoughts?
    > Cheers William.

Not a professional by any means, but if you haven't been doing high intensity exercise for a while, your body may just not be used to it. I reckon if you start with a shorter distance and gradually increase it (like the Couch to 5k app does), that might help a bit.
  • > @Frye said:
    > I just ran a 5k in 27:00 for the first time in my life. I never really tried running or anything, I just decided that I'm going to do it no matter what. Is that a decent time for someone who just ran his first 5k ever?

That's an awesome time! I've been a bit on and off with my running but recently ran a PB of 28:32 for a 5k (though I'm a female), so I think you're already way ahead.
  • Hi all. I started running aged 47 in about August 2021 - so very new!

Got into it through couch to 5k, which think is a remarkable programme (I've become a bit evangelical about it!).

My 5k PB is 22:08, but I usually manage somewhere closer to 23:00 on my early morning runs.

2022 target is to break the 22 min barrier - just can't seem to squeeze that little bit extra out of myself! I'd really like to get sub-20 min, but I've found that improvement in time is increasingly difficult to achieve as I go.
  • > @Nobbingsford said:
    > Hi all. I started running aged 47 in about August 2021 - so very new!
    >
    > Got into it through couch to 5k, which think is a remarkable programme (I've become a bit evangelical about it!).
    >
    > My 5k PB is 22:08, but I usually manage somewhere closer to 23:00 on my early morning runs.
    >
    > 2022 target is to break the 22 min barrier - just can't seem to squeeze that little bit extra out of myself! I'd really like to get sub-20 min, but I've found that improvement in time is increasingly difficult to achieve as I go.

Plateauing is common for pretty much everyone at some point. Try mixing up your training and/or race strategy.

I read an article a while ago saying that for the vast majority of non-elites runners, the fastest 5k strategy was a fast first km, easy up a bit and maintain for kms 2-4 and then empty the tank/hold on for the last km.

I haven't really ever focused on 5km as mostly run ultras, but the strategy above helped me crack the 20 min barrier I was stuck on (did something like 3:45, 4x4:05 and then 3:50) and soon after get down to 19 mins. Having some time in the bank just seemed to really help mentally.
  • Hi all, I'm 44 and I started running in May 2021. I've never been a runner, normally do MTB as cardio.

I was mainly doing 2 x 3.5K runs per week until July, then no running in Jun/Jul, back to running in September and my first 5K distance in October (23:00), then ran 3 x 5Ks with a PB of 21:30 and stopped running in Nov/Dec. So I have not been consistent and have not done much distance/miles. I now want to get some consistent running in, and aim for a sub 20 5K.

My 5K PB is 21:30 with no regular running or pace/distance training. So that's my baseline. My problem is I also weight train so can't allocate more than 2 sessions per week to running. I have drafted a 2 week cycle plan. I ran my first 10K recently to build stamina and hit 48:16, followed by a 46:03 on my second. I have done a 19:50 5K on a treadmill with 1% incline. I find it harder running outside because you have to guess your pace.

Plan
    Week 1: Wednesday: 4x4 treadmill pace training (12kph/16.5kph) Saturday: 5K parkrun (race)
    Week 2: Wednesday: sub 20 treadmill 5K Saturday: 10K run @ 13-14kph

Any thoughts on the plan? I could squeeze a slower run in somewhere each week. I don't want to go any further than 10K distance.

Thanks.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Congratulations on starting running. Consistency is key, so a plan is great, especially when you stick to it! Personally I prefer at least three runs a week, a slower, longer than 5km, would benefit you in terms of time on feet and all the muscular changes that occur.

Do you have a watch which will give you a pace?

Running on a TM is good, I have to do it a lot because of where we live, but you will be racing outside and it is very different. 
  • Thanks TT. I put the 10K in for more distance, I may change to a weekly 10K as others have also recommended a weekly, slower run. I don't have a watch but I bought an arm phone strap so that I can use strava when running to map my performance.
  • @maclrc, thanks for your advice - I appreciate it and I'll give that a go.

Currently following a 4 week 10k training plan (off this very site) which includes some faster spells in the middle of an otherwise easy paced run ( a bit of fartlekking, I think it's called).

I realise that's off-topic, but it has given me the confidence that I can change to a faster pace temporarily, without completely burning myself out before the end!
  • I started running about 6wks ago or so, a couple of times a week, building up nice and slowly. I'm currently running 5K in about 35mins, which I'm happy with for now. Aim will be 5K in 25mins by whenever for the moment
  • I’m new to running, 7 weeks in. I’ve done 6 parkruns so far with a PB of 25:02.
    Just bought a running watch and want to ask the best way to pace my course.
    It’s out and back. The 1st 2.5k is slightly downhill so obviously slightly uphill coming back. With the idea of braking 25 mins would it be best to capitalise on the downhill start and get like 30 seconds or more under 25 min pace. I know through cycling people always advise against going quick to start with but I know I will struggle to hold 5min/km pace coming back with it being slightly uphill.
    Thanks in advance
    Jason
  • So my 7th parkrun I did in 24:42. I started near the front and got off to a good start, settled into a good pace, kept a check on my pace as I suspected I couldn’t keep to 5 min / km on the way back but had plenty in the bag after the outward leg. Used pace and average pace on the corus 3. The average pace was all I needed to manage this run tbh if looking for a pb it’s a great tool rather than running and having no idea of pace.
  • Quick question to this as it's 5k related I'm starting a couch to 5k after a few years out and lots of kilos heavier, id be happy with a 30min 5k so starting the 5k program should I start at the the pace I'd like to complete the 5k in? It's starts 60sec run 90walk etc it's a 9week prog
    Thanks
    Darren
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Darren -  No, walk/run so you're not too out of breath, your aerobic fitness will guide your pace.   

First you train to be able to run non stop, then improvement in pace will come after that.