Options

FLM - Dissappointed & Confused

Good luck to all those that secured a place in the FLM. I am not going to moan but can someone help me. I have been running (badly!) for 11 years I am almost 41.I have applied 10 (yes 10 times!) for the LM and I have only ever got a place once (1996)Everyone I speak to seems to stand a 1 in 3 chance. I don't want to appeal but there must be some way of improving my chances.It is frustrating when runners have to watch people 'walking' the whole distance. Can someone help or point me to someone who can. Thanks (Moan over - good luck to all - even the walkers!)

Comments

• Options
    Robin,

I understood that this year they are letting people in who had been rejected 5 times. Did you try that route?

• Options
    The 5 times has to be the last 5 years consecutively though.
  • Options
    I too, having been rejected for the 3rd year running, am annoyed with having to watch the walkers.
    I am becoming a bit confused about whether this event is a running event or simply a charity fundraising event. Or should I say the event appears a little confused. There are more and more GB places which I do not agree with out of principle. I am not complete scrooge - I commend people who raise money at the FLM and if I ever got in to the damn event, I would run for a charity. I just disagree with having to stump up a minimum pledge. And the charities that pay for the GB places, what happens to this money, how much is it per place?
    To me, it seems the sense of true charity has been lost amongst the fundraising. And my hopes of running in the FLM are lost amongst the walkers.
    Nevermind, hopefully I'll find an alternative marathon to run later in year.
    Yours bitterly,
    Gavin
  • Options
    I think a GB place is about £250 to purchase, so obviously the charity has to cover that cost, plus the cost of admin and expenses on the day, T-shirts etc, before they even start to raise money for the charity.

Perhaps the amount you have to raise is a bit high, but so many people want to take part in the race that you can understand why they do it. Having said that, some charities apparently want only £800 or so, which isn't too bad, given the time available.

Andy
  • Options
    Thanks all - I did get a place through my work last year so I have run it twice. But Iam still confused how it works. I always pledge my money. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason. Still like the 'why are we here question' we'll never really know. Still I'm off too Newcastle to do the Great North!!

Good luck all & thanks.

Robin
  • Options
    I got rejected again, 3 years in a row. It never used to bother me, but for some reason it has this year. I think the only way into this "race" is , sorry for being blunt, to "prostitute" yourself to a charity! The best way is to save up £800+ and just hand it in. Its sad to say that our national marathon is nothing more than a fun run with an elite race thrown in.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry John Amans, I can understand your frustration and that of all those who have tried to get in and have been rejected year after year. However, for those of us who are doing it, we do not see it as a 'fun run' and the race times that many people achieve are those of fun runners!

I hope you eventually get a place along with all those who have missed out!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry that should say the race times are not those of a fun runner! EDIT FEATURE PLEASE RW!!!
  • Options
    Sorry If I Offended Anyone with The "Fun Run Comment". However, Serious Non Elite runners rarely get any coverage on this race. Do you see any interviews with the the 2:45 - 3:15 non costumed, non charity runners? It will be interesting to see the coverage next April.
    Before you say anything, none of my 20 marathons (19 non London) were fun runs, I know.
    I will rephrase my comment.This race will be in 5 years A charity run with an elite race thrown in to get the TV cameras & BBC to turn up in the first place!
  • Options
    Be grateful that you at least know you have been rejected....I haven't heard anything yet! (I assume I will have been rejected).
    Why not give New York ago in November.....I did it this year and it is a great Marathon...better than London. You can apply online, the service from the organisers is great,
    and if you get rejected three times you are guaranteed a place.