Nice and sunny :o)

What: rest day
Why: Felt I needed a second days rest this week - To the cost of my long run

Last Hard Day: Friday (Bike)
Last Hard Run: Thursday
Last Rest Day: Today

Will

Comments

• Muggy and humid where I am. Will, you look like you've got a cigarette in your hand in your photo! I take it that's just a trick of the light?

What: 7 mile recovery. Av HR 63%.
    Why: time for an easy run. In fact it didn't feel easy, just hot and awkward. Increasingly I'm finding it hard to get my HR above 60% on my recovery runs. Unless I concentrate my easy relaxed pace works out about 52-55%, and this doesn't have many training benefits - or does it? How much does HR matter on recovery runs anyway?
    Welcome your thoughts, as to be perfectly honest I'd rather not have to bother with the incessant bleeping of my HRM on my easy days.

Off to walk in Ennerdale for a couple of days now anyway. Rain forecast, naturally.
  • Laura

In my hand is a rather large glass of Greek brandy and coke – the photo was taken while on holiday in Zante

Will
  • Drizzling out of a uniform grey sky here.
    what: (subject to legs feeling OK) 4 x 1 mile off 1/3 mile jog recovery
    why: another speed/speed endurance session - 5K race in 10 days time & I want to see how things go without the wind interfering (looks pretty calm here today for once).
    last hard day: Fri
    last rest (well, non-running) day: Sat

alternatively, may just trot around oon grass for 30 mins or so & do the interval session tomorrow.
  • What - long slow run - no set target length just trying to get time on my feet.

Actually did 10m in 96 mins - nothing for you fast people but given that I was doing 5 miles in 50 mins with no walks and I did this run on an 8 run to 2 walk schedule I am delighted.

last rest - yesterday - digging up turf instead
    last hard - last Sunday

And Will I thought it was a cigar!
  • Shows we assume the familiar - I thought it was a rather peculiar way to hold a Mars bar.

What: Rest day, sort of.

Why: I'm due a rest day and need to do a lot of boring domestic stuff and take Ivor the Engine, Angelmouse and Tinkerbell to the shops to buy school shoes (tricky because Ivor gets overstimulated and irritable in shops and Tinkerbell has wanderlust). However, I got up early this morning and fancied a swim, so I've done a gentle kilometre in the pool.

Last hard day: Wednesday.

Last rest day: Tuesday.

This means I've got to do some serious training tomorrow.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Well where the hell did my post go?????

I started this topic at about 10.15 but the message never made it to the board.........most odd

Anyway
    What: 8.75 miles
    Why: Latest day of 1/2m programme
    Last Rest: Yesterday
    Last Hard: Tuesday (missed both of my sessions prior to today)

Started off pretty well today but got to 3 miles and felt absolutely knackered so turned around to go home. I saw a side road leading to a village which I took, it was mostly uphill, and ended up completing my run. All in all avery nice run

Will, I thought it looked more like a glass of sherry!!!
    GFB
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    What: taekwon-do class (apparently trying to snuff out candles with the wind from our punches!!?)
    Why: that's just what happens on Sundays
    Last rest: yesterday, unplanned and a bit frustrating
    Last hard: a week ago yesterday.

Really got to try and fit in more running sessions, but hard when now trying to do 3 TKD classes a week - not really fit enough to do a run and a class the same day - have tried before and my body really complains.
  • Fiona MFiona M ✭✭✭
    PS - Is the taekwon-do "cross-training" then?
  • What: 18 mile long run.
    Why: Build up to Portsmouth 10 & Bristol 1/2
    & my longer goal of a possible spring marathon.
    Last rest day 9 days ago.
    Last hard yesterday
    After my hill session yesterday [which went well] I was really surprised how effortless this felt. Purhaps my H5 drink does work. Now it's time to recover in front of the telly watching athletics.
  • What: 15 miler
    Why: weekly long run
    Days since last rest: Friday
    Days since last hard run: Today

Went early-ish (8AM) but still seemed quite warm. Tired from yesterday and a bit sluggish the whole way round.

mm
  • What: "Cross training" by sorting the garden out --> digging, hoeing, mowing, pruning, weeding etc etc etc.
    Why: Having another rest day, can still feel twinges of pain in the right knee when I get up so I'm staying off the running for the weekend. Might go to the gym this evening.
    Last rest day: Yesterday.
    Last Hard day: *shrug* not sure - almost everyday last week :)
  • What: 18 mile long run
    Why: Long run day
    Days since last hard: Friday
    Days since last rest: Thursday

Have still to do my long run, so thought I had better post it to make sure I get out and do it :o)

Gareth
  • Oh well, that's the garden out for the day - it's just started chucking it down - not mowing a wet lawn so it's off to the gym for me :)
  • What: 4 miler
    Why: cabin fever
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest: Friday

I went out at 3pm, and my god it was so humid!!! I knew that waiting would have been better, but the cabin fever just took hold...
  • What: 20 mile long run
    Why: Abingdon Marathon Oct 20 (anyone else doing this one?)
    Last hard day: Thursday
    Last rest: Weds. week (urggh!)

For some reason I'd got it into my head that I was going to do a 70 mile week just to see how it went, and strangely enough it was unbelievably exhausting, especially this morning in the heat - didn't take enough liquids and dehydrated something rotten. I felt like someone marooned in the desert, expecting any moment to see a mirage of an oasis - I can't remember ever wanting a plain glass of cold water more!

Time to take it easy for a bit, I reckon. s.
  • what: 16 mile long run
    why: HM Sep 1st
    last hard day: yesterday
    last rest day: friday

way too hot to be running today, pace was easy but felt more like steady.
  • What: easy day today so just went for a 9km walk
    Why: doing a recce of my leg of the Test Way Relay (which is on 30th)
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest day: today

Laurau have a great time in Ennerdale - the Ennerdale horseshoe is one of my favourite walks!
  • What: twelve miles taking it easy.
    Why: getting ready for next batch of races in Sept.

I had hoped to go further, but I felt absolutely leadfooted because of the humidity; does anyone have suggestions about coping in humid conditions?

Came home and fell into a sodden heap in front of the athletics. Then felt I shouldn't be complaining so much because it was absolutely chucking it down for the meet up there in Glasgow, yet they were still clocking up some decent, if not spectacular, times in the sprints, running through puddles.

So who is going to Crystal Palace on Friday?

Rest day tomorrow.

DC
  • WW where did you go in Zante. I'm off there on 10th Sept for a week as I have done every year for past 8 years. Thats 2 days after Cardiff 10k and 12 days before Bristol Half.

Anyway to get back

What 10 miles along towpath alongside River Avon in Bristol, passing under Clifton Susp Bridge av HR 113 thats 60%

Why Need to build up so I can let hair down on hols so as not to be totally unfit for Bristol Half.

Last hard day What are those every days a hard day

Last rest day yesterday and last night
  • legs felt stiff & dead while warming up. Ergo no interval session.
    Opted for a steady 5 miles at 6:30 pace. HR much higher than it should have been, due to encounter with would-be heckler at 1.5 miles (separate thread)
  • georgegeorge ✭✭✭
    What: Level 2 run for 100-110 minutes.
    Why ? Because of work and a dodgy stomach, I haven't run since last week. and the easy 30 mile bike ride this morning didn't get rid of the alcohol from the party that I was at until 3.00 a.m. this morning! And some person stole my bottle of blackcurrant squash that I had previously hidden half way round my route !!!!!
  • Had a jog with SlowButSure for 80 mins (furthest he has ever run), no real hills or anything, just casual time on feet run.

Paul