James Cracknell to start marathon

Just heard on Radio 5 live from Cracknell's wife that he is not running it because of his injury. Kelly Holmes wanted too much money to start it off, so Cracknell's going to do it instead.

Comments

• All those people raising money for charity and a top athlete like KH wants to be paid whats that all about!!!!
  • £20,000 eh? Greedy git!
  • So he'll be handing out lucozade again at mile 23? PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Very naughty of DAME Kelly.
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    So I don't get to run past him while he's vomiting in the gutter at mile 20. Shame!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I thought he expected to have recovered in time ....

mmmm
    maybe he put tooooo much pressure on himself

• Their loss. I told them I would do it for £150...

:oD
  • Plenty of people are going to make money out of this, so why shouldn't she ask for appearance money? Remember, a sports professional only has a career of 5-10 years, so they have to make what money they can, as quick as they can.

Is anyone here honestly going to say they would not do the same in her position?
  • The Craic, so much for sub 3.... Well the nae-sayers have it!
  • AoD - Kelly has a year or two left at the most - she has waited a long time to get to this place, probably wondering if she ever would. Good luck to her, I say - take what she can, while she can.
  • I heard an interview with Cracknell this morning as he seemed to be saying that he could not rely on his injury to carry him all the way round.

So let me see, Paula doesn't feel 100% before the Athens marathon but attempts it. Cracknell slags her off for this.

Cracknell doesn't feel 100% and doesn't even attempt it. Apologies in order?
  • I think so. Would strongly redeem himself if he's man enough to admit he made a mistake.

A real man can admit when he's wrong!
  • I dont think he needs to apologise. Attempting to run a marathon with an injury is recipe for disaster.Cracknell is a rower not a runner. As for Dame Kelly if what I have heard is true I am pretty disgusted.I think that it is an honour to be asked to start the FLM, I am sure there are plenty of celebrities that would do it for nothing or donate the money they receive to charity. It is one of the great sporting events in the world that encompasses the elite and the not so elite like myself who is happy just to get to the finish line and in the process raise money for a good cause.
    When you consider what has happened in the world this year with the devastation of the Tsunami it kind of puts alot of things in perspective.
    Anyway congratilations to all those who ran today and a big cheer for Paula she was fantastic.
  • OH no!
    I was sooooo looking forward to beating Cracknell on the road, now he's come up some lame excuse for not taking me on.

Who was the fastest celeb then?

Apart from Paula.
  • Bob from Emmerdale

and Nell McAndrew did 3.10 - giving her an elite qualifying time!
  • saw cracknell at the mile 23 lucozade station and he was on crutches!
  • Bob (Tony Audenshaw) did 3hrs 3

tho i thought Michel Roux finished quicker than that ?
  • Jed- no one is criticising him for not running with an injury. The criticism is for him failing to respect another athlete's health problems.

Or in a single word 'hypocrisy'!
  • Hi

I'm Tony Audenshaw (Bob Of Emmerdale) and I'd just like to say that actor jason Barry was first 'celeb' home in an awesome 2.58 for Leukaemia research Fund. He did this time off little training and deserves the plaudits.

I struggled from 21 miles in but absolutely loved it, finishinmg in 3.03. Having beat 3 hours at Dublin last October I know have a differnet attitude to my running and just soaked up the atmosphere in those last few miles. My wife Ruth was aiming for four hours but just missed out by three minutes knocking a fantastic 24 minutes off her PB, what a day!

Well done to everyone, roll on next year.
  • Tony/Chip,

Looks like he's not famous enough if you read the Telegraph report... the're paying out on you!!!
  • as i thought i was being really funny, given that the mob has repeated its braying again i'll copy and paste my observation again

hang on
  • well i think that the baying mob is quite right. he insulted saint pauline by saying she should have finished the marathon, then when she said she was injured, he apologised. what a twunt. and then he said he hoped to run faster than charity runners. what a twunt - an olympic athlete setting himself difficult sporting targets. he only got on the rowing team in the first place by turning up in a bernie clifton ostrich outfit, i heard. and anyway, if there are 4 rowers, one can be crap, and the team can still win. i bet he didn't even row. his gold medal is worth nothing compared to pauline's, which was a solo effort. if she hasn't got one its only because cracknell probably stole it from her dressing room or something.

and then he gets injured. i'm glad, it serves him right, and anyway, he isn't really injured, its just an excuse so he doesn't have to run, and he deserves it, i hope it finishes his career, that he never had anyway, because he's rubbish.

also he's a toff, which means we all have to hate him. everybody chooses which parents they are born to, and he could have chosen to be born in a brazilian slum, but NOOOOOOOO, not that twunt, he has to be born to parents with a bit of cash. they probably bought his gold medal, and paid for the injury that he hasn't really got.
  • Yes you spoke a lot of sense there especially where you said "....................... what a twunt............... what a twunt.................... that twunt"
  • Nice to see Dame Kelly Holmes supporting UK athletics so wholeheatedly!
    Tony.. whenever you feel like not running it would be nice to have you handing out the hugs at Mile 17:-)
  • Steady on Candy!

While I would never claim to be a 'buddy' of old Crackers, I did meet him briefly when he did his teaching practice at my school many moons ago (Did you know he's a Geography teacher?)

He wasn't famous then of course but he was a decent bloke and I don't think pulling out of the FLM injured is really reason to rubbish the guy!
  • Octopus - do you teach English? If not ask one of your colleagues about irony:))
  • As I can recall there were lots of people that insulted Paula Radcliffe last summer but of course a double Olympic rowing champion has to be scapegoated for it.I am not a fan of cracknell but I do know that in a crew of four you are only as fast as your slowest man. It takes everyone to be committed otherwise you will lose.
    Cracknell may be a bit of an arse but he is a very talented oarsman and athelite.Anyway we didnt see him turning down the opportunity to help out on the day......unlike others........
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What was his injury then - hair out of place?
  • BR - I think I understand irony. It has a purpose doesn't it?
  • I think people are being to judgmental towards cracknel and dame kelly. put yourself in their shoes what would you honestly do.......?
  • He didn't even insult her, Jed. His terrible crime was to say "as a fellow athlete, I wasn't comfortable with her not finishing the race" (or something very similar). The hysteria this caused is laughable.