Aches & Pains

I am training for a sub 4hr 30 run and yesterday ran 5 miles at 10 miles an hour pace. It was hard work but I did it. However today I am aching all over and feel like I have the flu! Does anyone else feel the same after a run and does anyone have any stretching tips (especially on whether you should stretch before and after or just after a run!)

Comments

• It's common to feel a bit achey the day after a run but feeling as if you've got the flu doesn't sound quite right after a 5 miler. Is it the first time you've run that distance?

Perhaps you really have got flu?

I'm very bad when it comes to stretching - I rarely do any at all. If I do, I stretch after jogging gently for a mile or so, rather than before I start. Stretching after a run is supposed to help stop those next-day aches, but I rarely do any apart from some calf and quad stretching for a minute or two. I should do. I suppose.

Andy
  • Just my personal experience and i suppose everyone's different - i always stretch properly before i run. If i don't, i feel much worse during the run (muscles tight and reluctant to move!). I also feel stiff and achey afterwards. Hence, i make sure i always stretch. Also important to stretch and walk around afterwards and not just collapse in a heap on the sofa! This is because you need to keep moving to stop the lactic acid building up in your legs. Stretching certainly won't do you any harm if you do it properly, so i'd say it's definitely worth a try.

Maisy
  • congratulations on the fast run.

I never stretch when cold . . . I run
    slowly for 5 min or so and then start
    to speed. But I stretch rigorously after
    a run when all is lose and warm.

natnif
  • What's you current PB/Half PB Michael? Sounds like 4:30 is very conservative if you can sustain 6 min miling that long.

Andy C
  • Or did Michael mean 10 minutes per mile pace?
  • I assume he meant 10 min/mile pace. Pretty much the target I'm working on, sub 4:30 and currently doing 10min(ish)/mile.
  • sorry yes I did mean 10 minute mile pace. I think I would die if I did it at 6 minute mile pace! thanks for your advice everyone. I've stopped aching so much now so I'll have to try again tonight but maybe I'll go at a slightly slower pace and not do half hour on the weights afterwards!
  • It's the weights sessions that do for me everytime - I just can't seem to get into the habit of less weights, more reps - I always stack the weights up, do the sets, then regret it the following couple of days.

I'll learn one day - actually, I probably wont!
  • Michael - Adrian makes a good point. If you're lifting weights, they should be more reps of lower weights, and not the other way round.