Its all in the heart

I just had the gobstopping news that I had a mild heart attack a little while ago. I didn't realise what had happened. I have a charity place on the FLM and intend to keep running but I have to say I am scared. Has anyone else had this experience, am I doing the right thing?

Comments

• Hi Beast. You are not alone. I had two heart attacks in March this year which required an angioplasty with two stents. I decided to keep the running going and, in fact entered and ran the Dorset Three Peaks Challenge in October (10+ miles cross country, 1500 feet of climbing) I finished in 1:50. and I have entered the FLM and have a place. I too am scared, but I amas determined to run this as I was the Dorset run. Whenever I have doubts about myself I think of Jane Tomlinson, you know, the gutsy lady who ran 2002 FLM despite having terminal cancer. Let me know how the training is going, and if you are interested I will keep you abreast of my progress.What do you say?
  • Can you elaborate a bit, beast?
    eg
    what exactly did happen,
    how long ago,
    how did you find out,
    how old are you,
    how fit were you before
    are you on any treatment
    do they plan to do anything with you,
    have you told them about your plans?
  • Check with your docs
    have you done an exercise test
    Do you need further tests????????
    Check it out first
  • Please go and see your docs, cos advice on her is ok, but we dont have your notes, and we cant examine you
  • It might not be bad news
    But dont just rely on info herre, you need to go and ask your cardiologist, and you SHOULD have one
  • Hi everyone. Thank you all for your help and advice. What is it about runners, we don't know each other but every day when I pass another runner I get a wave or a nod to say hello (in my case its usually a groan!!) and here I am getting more friendly advice from more strangers. I have seen my Doctor, I've got some treadmill tests to do but overall it seems this was a mild attack and, with a bit of monitoring, I should be OK. I'm not madly overweight, I am 48, 6'2 and weigh 14st 7lbs so losing a stone or so won't be difficult or do me any harm. Anyway having slept on it and thought long and hard I am determined to finish the FLM, although I am going to revert to the "get you round" training schedule now, and I hope to raise lots of money for PHAB kids. I will post back on here when I get more news, but meanwhile thank you all for your thoughts.