Options

Nike Free

Comments

• Options
    ShinyShiny ✭✭✭
    I'm a mild overpronator and I've had my Frees for a while and have never had any problems with them. Only tend to use them on one run per week (not the long one) but am very tempted to try a race in them. However, like Forest Runner, I've been ill for a while so time comparisons might not be possible just yet.
  • Options
    I was very impressed with the Frees as my earlier post on this thread stated but after using them over the weekend only for the 7th time they have now started to fall apart. For £60 they really should be a bit stronger than that dont you think? I have only done approx 50 miles in them. Although I love the fell of the shoe I wont be buying them again.
  • Options
    I've done loads of walking and running in mine, and treated them fairly roughly when I've been taking them on and off, and they're absolutely fine.

I was quite glad I didn't wear them for the Midsummer Munro - it was quite stony underfoot and I appreciated having some cushioning.
  • Options
    Can you get them in half sizes?
  • Options
    Yes. Mine are five-and-a-halfs. Exactly the same size as I take in standard trainers.
  • Options
    AB3, how have they started to fall apart. Like most, I have small tears in the heel pocket, but that doesn't really affect the shoes.

I must have now done way in excess of the mileage I can do in other trainers, and I have run on all sorts of surfaces, including stones. They have got drenched in a downpour, although they're not very good for running in when they are wet and squelchy, and still they're going strong.
  • Options
    Forest Runner - yes its in the heel pocket that they are tearing away from, just where it meets with the plascticy part of the heel. If they still "work" OK like that then great, Ill get some more miles out of them.
  • Options
    I really hope that Nike can do something about the heel pocket on future releases of Frees. I'm like most seem to be on this thread, love the shoes, heel pockets split, still using them but would be far happier if I could feel some confidence in the heel not falling apart.

It just makes a great shoe look scruffy, which is a shame.
  • Options
    Been wearing mine for a couple of weeks just day to day. Ran the British 10K last week slowly in my Asics 2100 and noticed that I was mid foot striking more, which is good.

I did a treadmill 5k in them on Monday and felt pretty good. Still think they look silly with shorts though, but if I can get stronger and faster, who cares?
  • Options
    Mine are bust.

What do I do? I rekon I must be one of the first people to have knackered them so I figure I should send them to nike so when they make the next lot they have some feed-back.

so, does anyone have an address?

(they have 5" split along the side under the swoosh)
  • Options
    The Future - I spoke to Nike about my bust ones (so I beat you to it re breaking them)and they only want them sent back to them if they were bought from them on-line. If bought from a shop you have to take them back there, which needs a receipt, which is where my problems start as I dont have mine anymore, cant even remember which sport shop I got them from!!! The shop then sends them onto Nike apparently.
  • Options
    Don't know if this has been discussed here already but I'm wondering if I next time I need to renew my regular runners if I should go for a neutral shoe rather than stability. As using the Frees should strengthen the foot, should my shoes reflect this?
  • Options
    That's a good question and I'm only guessing with my answer.

I would actually wear the free's all the time, except that I don't want to get them all wet and muddy and they're probably not suitable for very stony ground, so I still wear some of my other trainers.

If I was happy wearing my free's all the time, then presumably I would be fine wearing neutral shoes instead. I do believe that even before I started wearing free's, the mechanics of my feet were changing from an overpronator more to a neutral runner. However, I do other training such as wobble board training and walking around the house barefoot.
  • Options
    I've been thinking the same FR.

I generally wear fairly thinly and flexible soled shoes and usually don't wear shoes at home and parktly put down previous shine splint problems to my stability shoes. I'm a way off committing to running in the Frees full time as I've only run in them twice and on a treadmill.

I think I'll give a neutral shoe a go next time.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    On a slightly off topic question - what exercises do you do on the wobble board FR? I have to try and strengthen my injured ankle - but am not sure whether just standing on it and wobbling because it is wobbly is enough (apologies if that sounds stupid) - is that what you do? Or is there more to it??

• Options
    Hi tb, I said wobble board, although what I actually have myself is a stability cushion, which works on a very similar principle.

There are specific exercises for wobble boards, starting with simple movements, like controlled rocking from side to side, then from front to back, and progressing to rotation where you dip one edge of the board to the floor, and then move the point of contact with the floor around the circumference of the board, if that makes sense.

I don't know at what stage just balancing on it, with all edges off the floor, is introduced. Progressions can eventually be made to using one foot at a time.

The stability cushion is an inflated flying saucer shaped rubber object. In theory, the more inflated it is, the more unstable it is, presumably because it can then rock side to side rather than just sink flat onto the floor.

I use mine when I am doing my weights, because trying to do two things at once makes the balance harder, which makes the muscles work harder to retain balance.

Even standing on one foot strengthens the ankle. If that feels easy, then close your eyes. Basically, it is best to work on it quite gradually. Make balancing a little bit hard and get used to it. Make it a bit harder again, and get used to it again. Eventually, but it could be a long time, you should be able to stand on one foot with your eyes closed and do something else as well, but still not lose balance. When you can do this, your ankles should be very strong.

Try starting with standing on one leg while washing your teeth.

Sorry about the lomg answer.
  • Options
    I've had my Frees for about a month now and wear them all day walking about at work. I decided to go for a run with them, and they made a *huge* difference since they make you really aware of how your feet are working.

The two bad things from the run came from the run, though. 1) a blister formed where my arch rubbed against the edge of the insole. 2) because of the blister, I wore my old trainers (Mizuno Renegades) to work instead of my Nikes.

The Renegades felt like bricks, and my knees and feet ached at the end of the day. This is odd since I do my long runs in motion control shoes - but then again, long runs are at max 2 hours or so and this was a good 12 h day. Has anyone had an experience like this going back to motion controlled/stability shoes after being in Frees?
  • Options
    Actually I find my Mizunos feel like bricks anyway! (But I still think they're the best for long runs)
  • Options
    Yes, after wearing frees, other trainers do feel like bricks.

I had a problem with a blister on the arches as well. Can't remember whether that was during a race, or just on a hot day. Also can't remember whether I was wearing socks at the time. Hasn't happened since, though.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Cheers FR - actually, I have a wobble cushion as well, I think it needs a bit more air in it - and then it will be properly wobbly.

Glad that just wobbling is the way forward. Will get to it!

Am also doing one legged toothbrushing - as recommended by the physio (and you!).

I sucumbed to a pair of frees. I decided to try and get back into running with a different style - a bit of forefoot running if you like - since I am having to start from what feels like scratch (20 minutes has never been so long), I thought it was a perfect opportunity. Not quite ready for the frees for that - but am wearing my racing shoes, which are on the way there.

V. comfy though the frees - not quite what I was expecting, but very pleasant.
  • Options
    Have just done a run on multi terrain, including some pretty stoney ground. By the end my feet were very sore & felt bruised (though they weren't) but were OK on the road stretch.

Anyone had similar experience?
  • Options
    RFB, I've been out a few times over multi-terrain type ground. It does feel very uncushioned to start with, but once you become accustomed to it you feel more stable. I went out in my Sauconys this morning and it felt like I was running in high heels.........ahem........not that I have ever run in high heels (or even walked for that matter!).
  • Options
    How accurate is the online order tracking in terms of the expected arrival date? - mine was last Saturday and no sign yet. None of the shipping dates are filled in on the online form.
  • Options
    Interesting - reply from the NikeID people:

---
    Thank you for your email and for your interest in Nike Products.

Unfortunately, we still do not know an estimated delivery date. However, we expect the delay to be for a couple of weeks and will confirm once Nike iD order has completed the manufacturing process.

If you tried to track your order online and it said that it has been delivered to our warehouse then this is a wrong system information

Nike iD is aware that this causes a lot of inconveniences for all the customers who have ordered the Nike Free iD and we apologize again for the inconvenience caused.

With kindest regards
    ---
  • Options
    I got this message Londoner,

Thank you for your email and your interest in Nike iD.

During a final quality check in the warehouse it turned out that there was something wrong with the colours. The whole batch had to be send back and remade.
    This is the reason for this delay.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to
    contact us again.
  • Options
    Am thinking that £60 is a bit steep for a pair of shoes that I might not 'get on' with. Considering they're fairly new in the shops has anyone seen any good deals yet?
    (Apologies if this may have been mentioned somewhere in the previous 350 or so comments!)
  • Options
    If you have several friends interested in getting frees, it may be worth going to an US online store and ordering them there. With the current exchange rate, they are about 45GBP. Pitching in with friends may reduce postage. Try www.roadrunnersports.com
  • Options
    Well, I did a local 4-miler on Friday night. First time I've raced over a shorter distance with the Frees on. Granted, I'm fitter than I was last year, but I managed to knock 34 seconds off my PB! Went from 23.31 (best last year) to 22.57.

I'll stick with these babies for a while longer, even it they do rip far too easily!
  • Options
    Good idea these, I've been wearing them for 2-3 months socially now and find them very comfortable. As a previous plantar faciitis sufferer and someone who has flat feet they have been fine to wear. The pouch at the back of the heel is just starting to show signs that it might tear at some stage in the future.
    Nike need to sort that out before I would heartily recommend them. Without improvement they will be my only pair of Nike frees.