Nike Free

Comments

• Hi Doc - presumably without your Superfeet?
  • Yes Debs without superfeet -and they've been fine which is a bit curious -mind you I haven't ran in them.
  • Hi, I know I should probably read through here and find the answer, but does anyone know what I am meant to do with the 4.5 soels I got with them?? I apologise for being too lazy to trawl through.
  • C67, mine came with the 4.5 soles already in them so I just started to wear them.

They are designed so that you wear the 5.0s (50% shoe, 50 % barefoot) until you feel that your feet are strong enough to progress onto the 4.5s (45% shoe, 55% barefoot). I only realised this after I had been wearing the 4.5s for a while and when I went to use the 5.0s I found that I didn't like them as much as the 4.5s. The 5.0s are now in a drawer under my bed.

My advice would be to try them with both insoles and go with the ones that feel the most comfortable.
  • Oh right, I've had them for ages now will try the 4.5 and see how I go - thanks.
  • just brought a pair of the new style free's ( no laces) and they have 4.0 insoles with bobbles bits ( thats the tech term for it i think) and i have to say they are so comfy. but reading above should i have had stiffer insole to start with
  • The insole really makes absolutely no practical difference - it's one part of the shoe that is definitely just a gimmick. If you find the 4.0 insoles comfortable (I think they're fab), then just stick with them.
  • After pottering around in the 5.0's and short runs, the more I wear them the faster my times are getting. I am thinking of wearing them all the time, what is the general consensus on this i.e. could there be an injury worry through full time use or just carry on wearing them ocasionally?
  • kps: I use mine full time. I did start wearing them after recovring from an injury, so built up slowly from about 3 miles, and I am a slow runner, but now hapily wear them for 2 milers, 5ks, 10ks, 10 milers, half marathons, marathons & ultras.

Only had 1 problem where my feet really hurt, but not sure if that was the distance or the stoney ground.
  • I wear mine all the time. If I try wearing any other trainers they just seem far to rigid.
  • I have got to get me some of these!
  • brought mine last week and have not took them off my feet.

plan was to keep wearing them for walking and about the house , for another week then will try a short run in them and see how i go!!!!!!
  • RFB I think it was one of your posts that conviced me to try them full time. How long have you been wearing them for?
    What about you Forest Runner?
  • I got my first pair in December. Have run a little over 700 miles in them now and they are starting to show it. Got a second pair a month or two back that I wear on shorter runs.
  • I got two pairs about a year ago, when I went to a Nike promotion for the free's. I took my son along (who has the same size feet as me), and we both got a free pair - so they were literally Nike free's for me.

I haven't even started wearing the second pair yet, and I don't really count my mileage, but since April, I have been wearing them for all races, and have trained in them several times at distances 14 miles and over. I think it could be getting on for 1000 miles - far in excess of what I can get from any other trainer.
  • Doing a half in them on Sunday so see how they go.
  • Just an update on the online ordering system. I ordered some on June 11th and am still waiting to receive them - they're now two and a half weeks overdue. Nike has offered a 10% discount but doesn't seem to be able to tell me when I can expect to receive the shoes themselves. You have been warned...
  • Two things :

the bog standard 4.0's seem to be £47.99 and in stock at sportshoes.

Second, do you wear (do you need!) socks?
  • great question Chris. i was wondering the same thing

i wear socks with mine but think it kind of ruins the effect.

• You don't need socks. I've heard some people say they get blisters on the arches if they don't wear socks, but this is mainly with the 5.0 insoles, which are a bit stiffer than the lower number insoles.
  • So 4.0's better than 5.0's without socks.

Which I suppose begs another question.

Should I opt for my normal size or drop a half?

Incidentally I got some Nike Air Katana Cage's today from Pete Bland Sports.

Lovely feel to them, very light. Trying them at the gym (having some running rest days) later.

• My shoe size is 11 and I have always gone up one full size for trainers. When I got my Nike free's from a promotion, I didn't know any better than to ask for size 12. I have worn these without socks with no problems at all.

Because the uppers are so soft, I don't suppose that there would be any problem if I did drop down one size, but I haven't noticed my feet slipping around in the size 12's anyway. My suggestion would be to go for one half size bigger than normal shoe size to allow for expansion of the feet on long runs, but I don't know if they do half sizes in Nike free's.
  • Chris - The Nike Free 5.0 comes with a 5.0 and a 4.5 insole. This means that presuming you dont get on with the 5.0 insole 'sans-socks', you can put the 4.5 insole in your shoe and will in all probability be OK. Dont let the insole dictate which model you buy (although I love the textured 4.0 insole, hmmm...). Let your decision be made on the basis of your experience of barefoot walking/running & how sound your biomechanics are. If you run like a pro, go straight for the 4.0's. If not, break yourself in 'cautiously' with the 5.0's.

Also, opt for your normal Nike size- the Free's size true IMHO.

I tried out the Katana cage at a Nike Outlet in Swindon - I liked the feel too. A little firm perhaps, directly due to the low profile zoom air cushioning, but the forefoot is nice and flexible. However, there's a plethora of plastic in the midfoot that put me off buying them myself. Let me know how you get on with them, I'd be interested.
  • FR- yes, they do half sizes. Go to Footlocker (there's one in Reading) or any running retailer if you need them.
  • They definitely do half sizes in the 5.0/4.5s. I agree with runnersblog though, go for your normal size, they're spot on with their sizing.

There seems to be some delay in the online ordering. However, they only take your money when your shoes are dispatched and not when you place the order. I saw this on the receipt when I got mine and was very impressed. It doesn't help the fact that you've got a bit of a wait though.

I always use socks in mine as my feet sweat far too much to be comfortable without them.

I did another 4-mile race in the 4.5s last night and knocked another 15s off my PB. I love these shoes as I really seem to be flying in them at the moment.
  • Thanks for all of that. Will get some 5.0's in my normal size (nicer colours as well!)

Runnersblog : yeah, the plastic bit on the Katana's is a little odd, will see how they go. They have some excellent grip tread on the inside of the front of the shoe, looks very useful.

The colour is sooo sexy as well. Feel like Michael Johnson!

If the Free's make these feel like boots then I dread how they'll make my Pegasus feel!
  • Well

I have to say that my Katana Air Zoom are magificent. Tried them over 5km today and took 2m 30 seconds of my PB (down to 21:38 now).

The more I think about it the more I think that Nike's "less is more" policy could be something really special.

I've gone from Saucony Hurricane - Pegasus - Katana and am getting quicker and take less recovery time on each trainer.

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting some Frees!
  • Good man, although to credit Nike with policy might be a misallocation of praise! More and more independant research papers are showing that the phrase 'pick your shoe, pick your injury' is pretty much true for the majority of the population. The only way Nike was going to really cash in on the 'minimalist movement' would be to market it to the populace first, before the other sports brands and before the sports scientists!

As with all things though, moderation is key - your training your body to run in a different way each time you change shoes, different muscles being emphasised with each pair of footware. Make the transition gradual and your body will thrive. Make it too swift and it will begrudge you, and express it's feeling through injury!

• Yeah, I hope I didn't come across "Nike and lightweight" there. It wasn't meant as that, honest!

It just seems that (for me at least) lightweight stuff causes fewer problems than anything else.

I love the Katana's so I think I'll get some Milers to go with them and some 5.0's from the ID site.

Nice collection there!
  • I had an interview today for a part time office job to supplement my income from my part time gym work, so I wore a suit and a normal pair of shoes.

I say normal pair of shoes, but I haven't worn a pair of conventional shoes in ages, and I couldn't believe how much they prevent the muscles in the feet working. I obviously didn't realise that when I used to wear conventional shoes all the time.

Now that my feet have become accustomed to having the freedom for the muscles to work properly, I find a lot of footwear too restrictive, but I got to this position through a gradual transition. I'm sure it would be the same for the vast majority of the population, but to reiterate the point made by runnersblog, I would stress that the transition must be made gradually.