Nike Free

1111213141517»

Comments

• Anyone had any luck getting money back for their ripped Frees? Cos £60 is a lot for a pair of shoes that fall apart after a dozen outings - and Nike must have been selling them in full knowledge that they have this problem?
  • I spoke to someone at Nike Town London about the heel pocket ripping and they saud it was something that was being corrected on the Free 5.0. Apparently the area has been reinforced with an additional layer of the upper material and a thicker stretchy material has been used for the heel pocket.

Not sure when these improved Free will be at retail, but they made it sound as though it would be very soon.

Hope this helps, although I think I'm sticking with my pair of 5.0 (only one of the heels has ripped and it hasn't seemed to affect their performance). When it comes time for a new pair, hopefully me feet will be ready for the 4.0!!
  • The heel pocket isn't really a functional part of the shoe, except for perhaps keeping your heel dry in wet weather.

Although it is bad that there have been problems with the heel pockets ripping, and this shouldn't be overlooked, I would prefer to keep my Nike Free's with ripped heel pockets rather than get a refund and buy another shoe which I didn't feel was as good functionally.

I would say that the Nike Free's are very good value for money at £60, even with a ripped heel pocket. It would be a bonus to have a pair without ripped heel pockets.
  • Just aquick update after an eventful week's running:

I braved it and did the 55 mile London to Brighton Road Run in my 5.0s. They were great, and whilst me feet felt a little bruised other runners ensured me that was not a shoe specific thing. I had no blisters and no rubbing anywhere, which was fantastic. The ripped heel pockets did let a couple of small stones in, meaning that I had to stop to extract them (by tipping them out of the way they had come). All in all though, very happy with the shoe's performance over such a long and hard-underfoot distance.

The ultra was on the Sunday, and I had a 5 mile race on the Thursday evening. Decided to wear my 4.0s for that one and.........won it! So my 4.0s have a 100% record.

I know there are issues with the heel pocket but I just love these shoes, and they really seem to be suited to my feet / runniing style.
  • just ordered my free's and cnanot wiat, as i have heard so much aobut them.
  • I wore my free's for the Henley half marathon after unwisely deciding not to wear them for the Windsor half marathon. I think that is four actual half marathons I have worn them for now, although I have also worn them on several (at least 30) training runs of half marathon distance or more.

I am not going to make the wrong decision of not wearing them for a half marathon again, and I look forward to running my first marathon in them next year.
  • I got a credit note from Niketown for my torn Frees. It did have the original receipt though.

The 4s they now have in look better made. Also the 5 Trails look pretty cool and are sticked around the heel pocket. Anyone gon any view on the Trail shoe? I'd probablt just use it for walking and maybe a bit of treadmill.
  • For the Attention of SENSIBLE ( Steve
    Nike Bowerman Trials Manager )

I bought a pair of Nike Free 5.0 in Florida at the end of September, I've only ran in them about a dozen times and only about 2-3 miles each time. The heel pocket has ripped.

Obviously I can't take them back to the shop as I'm back in England. Went to nike.com and got a fax number for Nike UK, faxed them two weeks ago and not had a reply.

Anyone know their contact details by fax or email, or should I just send the shoes back with a covering letter??

Any help from anyone will be welcomed thanks.

Andy
  • Am I just lucky then? Two pairs of free's got at the same time, about July 2004. One pair has been worn a lot more than the other pair, but I have only suffered 1 small rip in one heel pocket!
  • I bought a pair of 5.0's today in the Nike shop in Barcelona. I am wearing them now in the hotel and they feel really good, very light and offer loads of movement options for my feet.

I have very low arches on my feet so I am keen to see if they help at all or just end up being a very expensive pair of slippers.
  • have had a pair of 5's for a while now and really pleased with them until recently when i've started getting a blister on the instep after 20mins or so. i am wearing them without socks, which i thought was the idea? they feel so rigid with socks on. before anyone says owt, yes, the socks have been washed before wearing them! i just don't like socks i guess.
  • I suppose it had to happen. I've been wearing a pair of Free's for running for almost 18 months now, maybe doing about 80% of my running in them, including racing half marathons and training up to 20 miles.

Today, while running on my treadmill, one of the shoes has got a two inch split on the bottom edge of the Nike swoosh. They're still wearable though, so I'll keep on using them. Luckily, I've got a spare pair as well.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Not been checking this thread constantly so interested in knowing people's experiences...... do they work?????

I have been training in mild support shoes and recently bought a new pair -the first since devoting my feet to the free's (5.0) in all my spare time.

Last year I bought asics 2100 that really hurt my left foot - I was told by physio it was because the suppport wasn't as flexible as the support I was used to (adidas cairo).
    This year I have flexible support but my left foot is killing me! Have the Free's taught my foot to know it doesn't need that support and what mild support there is, is now a burden??

Should I move to a cushioning shoe? Or a neutral shoe? Has anyone else made such a switch??????
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    ps - what a boing!!! Didn't realise how dead the thread was - just found an old link!
  • Nike have had my faulty Nike Frees now since November, I've had to write to them twice to get any response - aparently their independent testers computer system has crashed and they are still awaiting the quality control results on my shoes before deciding to replace them !!

Not very impressive customer service !

• tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I know it's been a while - but I was wondering whether there were any Free wearers still out there, and whether you had stuck with them and bought replacement pairs, or if you have gone back to 'normal' trainers, or what?

Personally, I haven't worn anything for road running apart from my Frees in 9 months - until the other day. I thought, for some crazy reason, that I would go out in my 'old' NB 764's - for a change.

NEVER AGAIN.

It was like wearing concrete blocks on my feet. I was slapping the ground, I could feel my knees twisting, my shins hurt, my ankles hurt, I was slow - it was awful.

When I got home I immediately went on the internet and ordered another pair of Frees (the ones I have are getting a bit worn on the soles) - they are great and I can't see why I would go back.

They don't seem that easy to get hold of though - anyone else found that?
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Oh, and my heel pocket is still intact - with 600 miles in the bag!
  • had a letter from Nike telling me that they are no longer making them, and as they are a discounted product they've given me a credit note for the replacement amount.
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    No longer making them?????

Oh no.

Am going to have to buy up every pair I can find now.

Bu*ger.
  • Nike are discontinuing the frees? That will be a massive shame. They have tried to incorprate the free design into the new skylons, not sure if it has made any difference to the shoe though.
  • I'm only saying what I was told by their customer services department, they couldn't replace mine as they were a discontinued product and could offer me credit instead.

How true this is I don't know?
  • Was that the Free5.0 or 4.0's? Maybe they're starting the 3.0's?
  • 4's - must admit it did cross my mind that they might be bringing out 3's but then again now that they've incorporated the free technology into the new skylons that might be the way they are going.
  • The Free's are not being discountinued as a concept - maybe a particular style / model could be.

With regard to the Skylons, they do incorporate some learnings from Free (in terms of flexibility and permitting more natural motion), however they are not classed as being part of the Free family.

This is because they utilise the learnings of Free to enhance the performance of the shoe (and therefore you), not to improve the conditioning of the foot.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I have been wearing my Free's (5.0) as recreational trainers since last July and just starting to notice that the arch area of my foot feels like it is rubbing against the rough inside of the shoe so I think they have about had it. It could be the inner sole I suppose.... Heel pockets ripped long ago but I still wear them, much to the disgust of my boyfriend.

Anyone ordered their own designs recently? Have they still been experiencing delays?
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I had a look on the design your own page yesterday - and whatever you choose, it straight away says "that's out of stock", so it looks like they have stopped doing it - for the Frees at least.