Nike Free

Comments

• Roo - i know its a personal question but how much do you weigh?

if you dont mind me asking?
  • Do mind, but...

Height 5' 4.5"
    Current weight, 2 weeks after post-FLM depression 9st 2lb; day before FLM, but training and mind messed up by injury 8st 10lb; earlier in spring 8st 7lb; best racing weight 8st ....
  • sorry thank you i am:

height 5'10''

weight 14'' (I am almost double you racing weight!)

as an ex-rugby player (very broad), but a sub 4 hour marathon runner - i'm sure that even with wearing the frees for sometime i would do myself some damage. once (?!) i get lighter i will try them out such activities but until then i think its best they're used for work only.

But i do agree with you with reference to peoples resistance to run in them.
  • Hi all
    Have been following this thread and have just bought myself a pair.But the thing is, I can't decide where to wear them. I am thinking either in the gym or around the house or do I need extended wearing to get any benfit? I can see that running in them off the bat isn't an option and I am no flyweight. But I do like the theory and will hopefully build up into running in them.
  • Roo: As long as you treat the uppers with a bit of respect, the frees should last at least as long as other shoes. I've clocked up a little over 400 miles in mine so far and it was only on my last run that I noticed a bit of a strange feeling in the heel. Even after 400 miles, it may just be that I need to change the insoles (i'll give the 4.0 insoles a go). I certainly didn't get the massive blisters I got when my last pair of ordinary shoes started to give out.

btw, I'm a little over 12 stone (on entry to the pub)
  • Surely if were supposed to be getting to run more natural, as in bare foot running then weight should'nt play a roll.
    It might take longer to build up the strength of the muscles in your feet though.

I'm 1.85 tall & 70kg/67kg racing weight.

RfB, are your times getting quicker though, after all what else matters ;-)

• and RfB, how far do you run in them ?

kps, once you are comfortable weatin them around the house, the next step is to wear them for short deliberate walks - to the shops, park etc, even if it means seeing it as an extra component of your overall training scheme. I find theat it is only on brisk walks that I feel they are doing anything special. I'm now trying 'silly walks'- type drills eg high knee lifts getting onto my toes, and yes my feet were a bit achy yesterday, so hopefully it has done some good.

BT, has Mel or any of the other LSSM guys had anything to say about them ?
  • It's very interesting reading this thread. I'm pretty convinced now that I should start running in mine, and not just wear them for the round the house stuff. After all slippers are much cheaper. I plan on doing some 3-4 mile runs on the road this week so I'll give the Frees a whirl and report back.

One thing I did notice when I got mine. They came fitted with the 4.5 insoles. I wore them for about a week and then read that I should start with the 5.0 and move up to the 4.5, so I changed to the 5.0. I must say that I don't find the 5.0 as comfortable as the 4.5, so I'm changing back.
  • BT: times are getting quicker, but then, I've only been running a year so am still a beginner & still run very slowly. It has been mentioned to me I should try a pair of fast racers. My main worry is that I will be back in the situation when I start getting problems & am not sure if it is due to the shoes.

Roo: started with 1 miles runs & have so far got up to 26.2. Hope to take them slightly further soon.
  • Run further than a marathon in them ? If you wear them in races I can't see how a pair of conventional racers would be an imporovement.
  • Roo, no but I'll ask Mel no my next weekend, I'm sure he'd be interested.
    I'll often look to see what shoes people wear & one of the tutors has a pair of NB1221, bet he'll not try them ;-)

RfB, wow!!! you shouldn't have problems with racers then!
    Maybe these shoes will help in my marathon in the autumn but shorter PB's for me may be a thing of the past :-(
  • Tigger's mate Roo - got my RC150s from Fast Feet - they don't do online ordering but you can use the old-fashioned telephonic communication system. Mind you, they haven't arrived yet so I can't tell you what they're like!

Anyway, here are my final observations on this topic (I'll keep any future ones to the barefoot thread):

If you want to strengthen your feet and experience the 'Free'dom of barefoot running, the best way to do this is to take your shoes and socks off!

If (like me) you're a bit of a wimp and are worried about sharp stones, thorns, broken glass etc., the next closest thing to barefoot running is to find a shoe that is nothing much more than a thin and flexible covering for the sole of your foot. Surf shoes are recommended by many for this. I've just got a pair of these. To call them slipper-like would be a disservice - most slippers have a lot more support and cushioning! They certainly feel a lot different to any shoes and are very close to barefoot.

If you want something a bit more traditional, then there are alternatives. Note that you will lose something in terms of flexibility or profile - most other shoes have a slightly raised heel and/or a slightly stiffer sole. Shoes of note in this category would be NB RC150s or Asics Tiger Paws(from recommendation), Puma H-Streets and Nike Jarowe Waffles (from experience) and Nike Frees, which score highly on the flexibility scale but are let down by the heel.

So that's my final thoughts on the subject on this thread, you'll be pleased to hear!
  • I did an 11.25 mile race last night, so I plan to do a 3 mile warm down run today. Am definitely going to go for it and out the Frees on.

SVT, these other shoes you mention, are they racers? And if so are they like the Nike Mayfly with a life expectancy of around 100kms?
  • GradgeGradge ✭✭✭
    I currently wear orthotics.But they have cracked so I might try and do without them.I tend to think that orthotics and the Free are designed to do opposite things.My orthotics set out to alter my running motion whereas the Free seem to try and keep it natural.I currently wear NB900 and weigh 9 stone.
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I ran across the road in mine today and it felt nice.
  • Manx Muppet - the Asics and NBs are lightweight racers, the Pumas and Nikes are actually sold as 'fashion' shoes despite being perfect for running. None of them have a predetermined life expectancy - you wear them until there's a decent sized hole in the sole!

I haven't run any of my lightweight shoes to destruction yet so I can't report on average lifespan. My longest serving are a pair of Puma H-Streets with 238 miles so far (including a 10k I've just got back from).
  • SVT - final thoughts hey? ;-)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Why wear shoes indoors? Is it possible to just walk around barefoot (or in socks)?

Lightweight shoes will last depending on how you run (eg minimising the scraping of ground when landing and toe-ing off). I'm onto my second pair of NB150 racing flats. The first pair which I learnt to run midfoot on lasted about 950miles. Still have them as they aren't destroyed but I changed them since I wanted to see the wear-pattern on a fresh pair.
  • I ran for about 4 miles in my Frees yesterday. Unfortunately I was coming down with a cold (got it full on now!) and was also recovering from a race the day before, so it was not the most subjective of tests. My overriding feeling was that running in the Frees was not a lot different to running in my Saucony Jazz. The Frees are considerably lighter though so am going to try them out in my next 4 mile race, later in the month.

Depending on how I get on I may well look at some of the lightweight racers that you mention SVT.
  • Not the most objective of tests. Objective, not subjective dammit. This cold's got into my brain now!
  • hope the colds not too bad!

summer colds are the worst, even though we're only in spring (that does make any sense does it!)
  • Edward - those weren't really thoughts, just answers to a question! :-)
  • SVT - oh sorry i just read the rest of the thread! :-)
  • Have just skimmed through the thread as I have just tried a pair on ( would you believe in a fashion sports shop )they really felt very comfy, they don't do half sizes - need an 8 1/2 UK but I know where I can get hold of a pair!

Has anyone looked on the Nike site where you can ID your Free's - have any colour you want, I just done a black upper, yellow midsole, yellow swoosh with red outline, yellow laces and red heel - with my name on the tongue of the shoe - looked rather nice.

£65 takes between 3-4 weeks for delivery

• Gosh, Nike are changing their marketing emphasis! They are set to become a fashion item rather than a tool to improve running performance. Though an extra £5 isn't bad to avoid going round in dirty, girlie pale blue shoes.
  • Hi Speedie, they do do half sizes, try Footlocker, I managed to get myself an 8.5 last week.

Benj
  • I think that Sportsshoes.com do half sizes too.
  • Speedie, to think I went into Niketown, the guy asked me "what colour", I replied "don't care"
    Quite happy with mine in black though!!!
    Would be nice to create your own tough ;-)

Interestingly tonight I put a Tiger Paw on one foot & a Free on the other & they could have almost been a pair. Didn't run in them though!!!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I tried to use the personalise thing a couple of weeks ago and i couldn't do it with the Free's.....

How addictive will that be?!?! Just made some lush black and red ones.... holding off from ordering them.... but only just!

Is anyone else a bit nervous that the material bit at the back of the shoe behind the heel will rip on theirs when putting them on or taking them off? It is a constant worry of mine!
  • Yes - I am!!

I'm guessing it's made of something tougher than it looks (or at least I hope so!)