Nike Free

Comments

• Seen a dark red version of the free womens shoes but only in Footlocker.
  • Come to think of it, all the womens Nike range this summer have turned into pastel blues and pinks. I was going to buy myself a new pair of the Elites, until I saw the horrible Pink colour they have slapped all over them. Don't they realise not all women like pink. I hate pink!!! and not that keen on baby blue either!
  • slowfoot Posted: 09/05/05 20:52:02 PM
    Can anyone tell me if these are available in the US??

Answer is, yes you can...

I purchased my first pair of Nike Free (in very bright green) from Nike Town in San Francisco in September 2004.
  • sensible: having done a little over 400 miles, my 5.0 insoles have given up the ghost. Apart from that, the shoes are still fine. Do you know if I'll be able to get new insoles?
  • guys just a word of warning my frees have now split along the rear mesh heal part thingy! so beware!

going to take them back!
  • EH - see my post on the last page !
  • Uh oh! There seems to be heels splitting along the length and breadth of the country. Mine are still intact but I spoke to someone the other day who was wearing them with split heels. He reckoned that his split because he wore orthotics in them. And they were 10 months old.

I will look after mine as best I can. I have ordered another pair (custom designed from the Nike website) for work, and am going to start running in my first pair. I have done a couple of runs already and it felt fine. Will do a 4 mile race in them tomorrow night and see how I get on.
  • RFB - was out for a run last night ad suddenly thought. What size are you? I use my 4.5 insoles and therefore have a pair of 5.0s that I could send you. Only thing is you'll have to be size 11!
  • I miss a couple of days and it all kicks off!!!
    Tiggers MRoo - Quite likely that I'm the said Midlands rep.At the expo, we had both purple and blue FREE's, but the blue ones were put on display as they seemed to get a better reaction. As we started to sell out on the Saturday, we had to put out some purple shoes and the reaction was akin to marmite!!! People either loved the colour or hated it.
    I'm sorry to hear you (and others)have had problems with the material at the back, clearly this shouldn't be happening.Are you lacing the shoes up every time or just pulling them off your feet? Also, do you use one foot to pull down the heel on the other foot? I only ask because if you do, this certainly doesn't help!!!
    Although Nike paid for the expo stand, Sweatshop were the retailer who sold the products.The best advice is phone your nearest Sweatshop or try the mail order number and they should be able to help you?

Incidentally, a darker colour in the womens version will be available in October. See - the designers do listen!!

Running for beer - If you have managed 400 miles in the shoes, then you should be okay to put in the 4.5 insoles. If not, email me and I'll find some insoles for you.

Manx Muppet - Slightly worried that the person you spoke to was wearing orthotics in their FREE's? Does he/she understand the principles behind the shoe?

Low Profile - Some better (less girlie!) colours coming out in the next month or two, especially a rather eye-catching Zoom Elite
  • Sensible, are you the guy with the van at the Midland/National relays ? In which case, you recognize me. Woman with cairn terrier attached !

I eventually found my bank statement with a £60 payment to Sweatshop, so I figured they must have had the franchise. I then phoned the main Swetshop no. who told me to phone the nearest branch. Phoned them (Dudley) who said they didn't actually stock Free, and said they would get back to me. That was Wed pm.... (I'll phone them again later)

And I don't do any of the nasty things to them that you suggest, though even unaced they need a certain amount of pulling to get them on. (But on the +ve side, i do love them, and my feet already feel a lot stronger, eg I can stand on one foot much more easily)
  • Can anyone tell me which website you can have a pair custom made on? Sorry if this has already been posted.
  • Roo - sorry i've just read the other page!

AND i've lost the recipt! going to have to look at my credit card statement when i get it, annoying or what!

Cotty - i think its www.nikeid.com
  • I have tried this but nothing happens?!
  • www.nike.com

need to follow the links to the Free's
  • .....phoned Dudley branch of Sweatshop (nearest to me, but still at least one hour drive!), and yes they will give me a replacement pair, but sorry it will take 2-3 weeks to get from another branch to main depot and back to them ! Glad I started to take action while they are only torn a litte.
  • mine are
    now torn alot!

sorry cotty! i thought it would work!
  • Got mine yesterday. My they are purple! Love them though and wore them today. Very comfy.

I usually walk around in bare feet at home, so do I need to walk in the frees for a fortnight or can I skip that and go straight to short runs?
  • HBJB - Start with a brisk walk or a very, very short run, to check that you get no ill effects, and build up much more cautiously than you would with other new shoes, but I found walking in mine no problem right from the start, so 2 weeks around the house seems a little over-cautious to me.
  • I wore them from King's Cross to Russell Square and back at a fair pace with no ill effects and no soreness this morning so I'll try a short run next week. Marathoning tomorrow so I'll go back to the knackered Mizunos for kicking around in today!
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Re the putting them on and off and it having an effect on the ripping that is going on.....
    I find them quite difficult to put on because there is no additional slack available from loseing the laces since there is no tongue section and it is all one 'sock' kind of thing. Is the little hook at the back of the shoe there to pull it up over your heel? Because I haven't got the hang of that yet!!!

• MMuppet: thanks for the kind offer, unfortunately I'm a size 9.

Sensible: Tried to e-mail you, but aparently your details are private so I can't. Can you e-mail me? Would very much appreciate an extra set of 5.0 insoles as have done a couple of 10k's using the 4.5s and have had what feels like blisters threatening to come out. A bit worrying as I'm hoping to do a 32 miler in them soon.
  • RFB - I can send you a pair of scissors to trim them to size!!

Sensible - I must admit that I was a bit confuddled when the guy told me that he wore orthotics in his. He did say that he was a 400m runner though. Such distances are a different world to us endurance bods!!
  • Sensible thats good news about the Elites, my pair aren't going to last much longer.

For everyone else looking for more choice in free colours, footlocker has one different colour in the womens and about 4/5 different colours in the mens.

Not sure if its fair that men seem to get more choice in running shoes!
  • I got a pair from the Nike shop in Birmingham yesterday. Who needs lots of different colours when there's a lilac-and-pink version?

Wore them for a walk of about a mile this morning. Amazingly comfortable - didn't realise just how comfortable till I put my ordinary shoes back on.
  • The material on the left heel ripped today, and the right heel is just about to go. To be honest, I don't think I'll even bother getting replacements until the design has changed to resolve this problem.
  • going to take mine back today as its full ripped around the heel
  • If THAT happens, mine will be going back. I've never had the uppers of a pair of running shoes rip, and most of mine do another thousand miles or so of walking once they've been retired from running.

I WILL try running in the Frees soon - I'm relatively light, and interested to see what effect running without a house-brick on each foot will have on my tendency to supinate quite severely on one side.
  • So far with walking around in them, they seem tobe working with my feet instead of against them for a change. My feet are fairly flexible which causes me to sometimes overpronate, but not always. Had loads of problems with supporting shoes causing more injuries than they were helping, mainly because they were forcing my feet to do something they didn't want to.

Will try them running soon.
  • Have run in mine several times now and they feel great. Very lightweight. I am certainly not going any slower in them.

That said, I've never run in other racing shoes like H-streets, NB150s, Tiger Paws etc. so I can't really compare them. I missed my 4 mile race the other day so can't report back from a timed run. Am planning to do a 10 miler on Sunday and am undecided as to whether to go with the Frees or not. Will decide last minute.
  • I am SO tempted to race in these on Sunday. They're very comfortable, and a lot of the race is on trails.