Nike Free

Comments

• Yeah, I do as it all gets a bit sweaty if I don't. Don't know whether your meant to or not though.
  • I ran in them without socks. No problems. They're very well ventilated!

• Done it!!

Ran my first race in them today (10 miles). Can't find last years time, but I know I went much quicker this year. More importantly though, I beat guys today who whooped my behind on 2nd May in a 11.25 miler.

So, I definitely went quicker in the Frees than in my Sauconys. However, I couldn't say whether the difference was due to a)Phsycology, b) It's the first time that I have raced in lightweight shoes of any form, or c) Whether the design of the shoe improves performance.

Either way, I'm chuffed with the result and will definitely be racing in them again.
  • I didn't wear mine for the race I did today. My socks are too thick!

I won't be wearing them without socks.
  • I find that my posture seems to have improved - I seem to naturally stand very straight in them !
  • Ran in my new '2nd pair' today, they feel like any other light weight racer.
    It was only 2M but couldn't feel any difference!!!

• How far are you supposed to run in them?

I was all set to wear t hem for 5 miles yesterday but Mr Hbjb says no more than 3 miles according to instructions, but I chucked the instructions away.
    (Instructions for shoes! Put on feet, left, right, repeat)
  • Just do it!

Wasn't that Nike's slogan a while back? Just get 'em on your feet Hbjb and go for it.

I am inclined to agree with Big Tim though, I don't notice much of a difference in the way that I run/stand/walk etc.
  • Has anyone had experience of ordering their shoes from the Nike Id site (http://nikeid.nike.com/nikeid/index.jhtml#collection,free) ?

You can select the colour of your choice all for the sum total of £65. Concerns are P&P and length of time they will take to get to me.

Any suggestions???

• These shoes fill me with fear!!!

I have worked in a sports shop for some time now and am a keen runner, and the realease of these is beyond me..

Please fill me in if anything I say is wrong..

The nike free desgined with minimal support to enhance the use of all muscles in your foot...

I agree running barefoot is great i do it all the time, on beaches and grass..

But runing on the road seems rediculous, obviously the shoe will allow for no form of cushioning at all, and as well all know road running can really tke its toll on your body. There is a huge amount of impact placed upon the foot, ankles, knees, back and so on from road running.

Surely running in the Nike free will be likely to enduce injury??

I understand they come with instructions on first use, and you do lots of walking to build the muscles up slowly.. I really still can't see how you foot is protected from the huge impact that occur from road running.

Josh
  • Josh, they do have some cushioning as there not sole less.
    The idea is for the muscles in your feet to act as the cushioning system, once they get stronger.
    I agree with you were talking about running as naturally [barefoot] as possible, & that doesn't included running on tarmac or concrete.
    I'm sure Nike don't intend for us to run without shoes in the future either!!!
    More a way of our feet becoming stronger & coping with lighter running shoes rather than stability/cushioned shoes.

I'm studying sports massage, also a UKA level 2 endurance coach & these make a lot of sense to me, although with any form of training care must taken.
    After all we don't know if Nike have it right but were trying to find out if they do!!!!! :-)
  • Has anybody compared the Nike Frees to other minimalist shoes like the Puma H-Streets? I'd rather not get another pair of the Nike Frees after the heel ripped - uppers should _not_ rip in my opinion.

The only thing I can see that the Frees give you is a minimalist and flexible sole. The H-Streets are supposed to be minimalist; how do they compare with respect to flexibility?
  • Frees - too much midsole. will be interesting when they take it down to the 3.0, maybe 2.5 or lower

Am currently running in Nike ACG Aqua Socks, which have less midsole than the puma h-streets, but am considering switching to something even lower again.

Gordon Pirie in Running Fast and Injury Free:
    "The perfect running shoe should be something like a heavy-duty
    ballet slipper - simply an extra layer of protective material around the foot, like a glove. If you run correctly, you will be able to wear such a shoe and never be injured."
  • I did around 7 miles in my Frees this evening, on the pavements. Definitely noticed the lack of suspension - there was a difference in how my calves and hamstrings felt compared to running in conventional trainers. My feet were as happy as could be, though :o)

Won't run in them again for a few days.
  • Josh, I take your point about running on raods not being natural. However, the inspiration behind shoes such as the Frees are the likes of the Kenyan runners who go bare foot. Whilst I have never been to Kenya, I can only assume that the ground over there is pretty hard and unforgiving - not too dissimilar to roads.

I am right into running in my Frees now, and can't say that I notice any extra pressure or wear on my joints and muscles. I'll let you know in a few years though!!
  • I know what you mean Vrap, I can feel my calf muscles working harder after a while when running in the frees!
  • Did about 600m in them last night - felt ok :oD
  • 600m in three minutes? Not bad, Bear :o)

• Seen a few questions about availability in the States. Just come back from working in Minnesota for 10 days. Availability of Free's is crap.
    Nearest Niketown & Nike Outlet had never heard of them!
    Spent 2 days walking The Mall of America in Minneapolis and finally found 'em. All thanks to "Finish Line" (on the second floor I think)who have all the colours in all the sizes and both the Running & Training models.
    According to my CC statement they cost me £46.51 which I think is a bargain assuming that,like me, your company pays the air fare hotel car rental.......
    Oh, and before anyone starts on "lucky b*****d", glamorous lifestyle, I fix dustcarts for a living!
  • So now I'm looking on Nike id for a Steel Toecap Safety Shoe option
  • Did four minutes in them last night - fwelt good :o)
  • Why 4min?

Ran with the 4.5 insoles yesterday afternoon & did 2M, no problems at all & that was after 12M in the morning.
    Will do a 4M later this week.
  • 'cos it's one more than three minutes, and that's what I did before.

I'm building up gradually due to a knee injury
  • I think I'll wait a while before getting my pair. I'm still a bit nervous as this concept goes against what every running shoe company has been telling us for the last 25 years.
    I mean Nike gave us Nike Air. I'm just a bit worried is the case of a manufacturer looking for a radical gimmick. I hope I'm wrong I'd prefer a less technological shoe.
  • Thanks XFR, makes sense now!

Still no aches after using my frees, a 4M run later this week is planned :-)
  • Tim, do you notice much difference between the 5.0 and 4.5 insoles?

Mine came with the 4.5s in the shoes so I wore them and got used to them. After a couple of weeks I read that I was meant to go with the 5.0s and progress onto the 4.5s. I put the 5.0s in the shoes and didn't like them at all.

Maybe I got used to the 4.5s very quickly. I just find them so comfortable.
  • I haven't run in mine yet and probably won't (fractured tibia not yet fully healed)...but I wear the black mid cut ones for work and love them.

They are v comfy but also make me aware just how hard I do put down my feet. So I think the concept of making me lighter on my feet and also the aim to become less of a heel striker and more mid foot will be greatly assisted by just general wear.

I haven't worn the gorgeous greeny blue ones yet - just keep admiring them in the wardrobe :-)
  • MM, I don't like the 5.0 insoles as much as the 4.5 either.

amandarunning, I still feel my stress fracture as a dull ache, but much less when I'm running my new midfoot style (hard work on the calf muscles, and difficult to do slowly), than when I'm doing a longer run and think I ought to wear more cushioned shoes, and run easy ie as I used to.

Main reason I came here now was to report that I've just noticed that my second pair of Free, only 12 days old, has again split at the heel. And I've been really careful getting them on and off. My thinking at the moment is that it probably doesn't affect their performance, and that apart from stopping stones getting in (which is why I hate wearing sandals), that material might as well not be there. There again it shouldn't happen to them - but can I be bothered to do anythin about it, again ?
  • TmR, I'm starting to think that the reason for the ripped heel is nothing to do with how you put them on or take them off. I think the heel pocket is supposed to allow extra heel movement, but just isn't up to scratch quality-wise. Maybe some people's running style doesn't cause problems with the heel pocket, but it certainly did for me, and I'm not happy about it.

I wonder if the Nike Free 4.0 will have the same problem? I do hope that Nike are listening because people on other forums have been complaining about the quality of the upper as well.

I've not heard anything about a release date for the 4.0; probably not helped by the Free selling well as a 'fashion' shoe from JJB.
  • MM, with the 4.5 I could have maybe got a UK 9 instead of my usual UK 9.5 but other than that nothing really major.
    Will know more when I run 4M in them.

TmR, mine seam fine & the uppers are OK but like you say that heel part doesn't need to be there!