Nice Little Runs in Sutton Park

Comments

• Arrr   Kingsbury image i do like that race but dont think my ankle would be upto it , just know i would get swept up with it and push it and its just too rutted in places for me at the moe image . May have a plod round if RC fancies it  but if not have a good run girls.

Had a very nice 8 miler in the park with RC last night , was very nice and relaxed run with no mud round the back at all at the moment so road shoes ok.

Have a good run all

• Races from the past... Kingsbury, Gate Gallop...

Glad to hear about your running TR.

Went for a run last night. Nothing huge but a nice 5 miler. First time I've done that after work as I'm usually too knackered. Might go tonight as well. Got several races coming up soon, a couple of the Towpath 10k series, 2 or 3 of the Blaise Blazer runs and 10ks at Tyntesfield and Bradley Stoke.

• PM: are you off to Wembley at the end of this month? tickets seem very expensive
  • I'll be there. Hope to get a ticket from United for £80. Silly I know but that's the cheapest. When I went to the final in Barcelona in 1999 my tyicket was £12!
  • Hi all , congratulations on everyone's good results especially Johns good VLM result. With a heavy heart I talked to a chap at the gym this morning who is running Stratford tomorrow and is anticipating a 3 hr time. Part of me wishes I was there and part of me is glad I'm not.

Only really over easter did my leg settle - we went to Calshot in the New forest in the van and had some really lovely walks , over ten miles, with little or no problems at all. I wondered if I could perhaps go for a little run over the last weekend but after the long walks I found I had hip pain and leg pain the following days whilst working. It's the driving - I drove 150 miles on Tuesday last week so stiffened badly.

During all this time off I've been going to the gym but avoided leg work just pushed iron to keep me occupied. Of course all this chest shoulder and back work makes me look great but I doubt it will help me run!.

I was thinking of the Aldridge 10K as a goal but it's June and I haven't run a step, Gate Gallop too - always loved it and done it lots of times but it's a bit tough if I haven't run at all. There are loads of races this time of year and they are all passing me by - typically it'll be the cold winter when I get back into it and I will have missed all the nice running weather!

Of course as well me and carol are really looking forward to a fresh visit to Snowdonia , in the next few weeks we hope to climb Snowden , an old favourite then press on to places we didn't get to last year like the Rhinogs.
  • PM: who sets the prices for the final? Platini was saying they were too high; so is it Wembley or UEFA which sets them?
  • Dont know but somebody's raking it in!
  • Hi all , great to see Prue in the park on Sunday! me and carol went for a brisk walk all round the outer edge of the park, great fitness for carol and a chance for me to test my leg. There was the run for life there too but it ws in the centre of the park so we only saw the traffic jam.

Took the plunge yesterday morning to go for my first run since march and it was surprisingly OK , just 3 miles round the golf course and up the hobs hole lane that finishes the Aldridge 10K. No ill effect during though it was very strange having done lost of core work in the gym. My bad leg doesn't seem to touch down in the same way now and felt very comfortable.

Some stiffness today and later yesterday afternoon I felt very tired and distant. 2 hours in the gym just never hits the spot a run does not matter how slow or short. I'm off to the gym this morning - I have a painful shoulder now - so it's gone from leg to shoulder!

I might look towards the Aldridge 10K
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭

Good to see you and carol too Mike,  I needed that rest at the top of cardiac.  A nice breather and decided not to do the second lap.

Still dreaming - Was lovley to see you last night.  Great turn out for the Kingsbury classic, it seems ever growing, and well done on organising the marshalls.  I enjoyed having your company on the run, kept me going image 

• Went to running club last night for the first time in a while. It was very tough but I really enjoyed it. A 15 min warm up, then a speed session of 2 x 1 min on/1 min off, 4 x 2/2, 3 x 90 secs/30 secs, 1/1 with a 1 min sprint to finish, followed by 15 min run back to base. Bloody hard!

Got quite a few races coming up in the next few months - two of the Towpath 10k races, three Blaise Blazers, Bradley Stoke 10k, Tyntesfield 10k all leading up to the Bristol Half in September.

Found out today that I have my ticket for the European Cup final - a lot of money but at least it was the cheapest option.

• running cazrunning caz ✭✭✭

Morning image

Just thought I'd pop in and say hello and 'well done' to all those racing at the mo.

JA - well done on FLM if I didn't say it before!

Prue - good luck with that series (have you done the 4th race yet?) and well done at DK and Kingsbury. 

Juicer - GOOD LUCK in EDINBURGH although I'll call you before then image

Tumps - good to hear off you even if it is on a football note rather than running. When is Octavian Droobers in SP this year? You doing it?

PM - glad you're getting back into it. Bristol 10k today isn't it?

TR and I have been busy with some lovely LDWA events recently. Did a great one near Bewdley the other week (Rock Pound the Bounds) and a lovely one in South Wales yesterday. This from my Fetch log:-

Rhondda Rollercoaster 26.5M and 5200ft officially. Great day out with Rich again and the weather was brill despite the poor forecasts, got sunburnt face and topped up my Canaries tan elsewhere image Navigation a little tricky in places (note to self - take a compass) as there were many parts where we had to cross expanses of rough ground with no trods or grassy paths to follow. However, there were points where my navigation and sense of direction was more accurate than those with compasses! 

We set off 5mins before the mass start as we were in a rush to get back to Brum for Brodie's bday evening and by CP1 Mynydd Y Glyn (3M & 1032ft) we had already been caught by the first 3 walkers, and from the trig point could see small groups approaching. Could tell the walkers at the front here were very serious and a little miffed, asking at what time had we set off and passed comments about this event being a MASS START! Rich and I had to laugh image

We then relied on them and their compasses (once they had argued it out with each other) for the next mile to see us through the rough and although the serious WALKERS were RUNNING, I resisted making any comments about the RUNNERS mass start being at 9:30, not 8:30! image. When I could pick up where we were on the route description, we ran off. One of them was hot on our heels though and caught up with us just before CP 2 (7.75M & 1980ft) telling me that my navigation was "spot on". There was a tone of suprise in his voice which I ignored and took the compliment onboard image White Shirt Man serious walker arrived at the CP too whilst we were there and wasn't hanging around. . . .

. . . . . . Off we set again more climbing but some good down too towards the end and during this section a couple of runners passed us (don't think the serious walkers were too pleased). Lots of nice scenery and then we were at CP 3 (15M & 3169ft) for lunch image 1st Female runner joined us here. We sat for a while to enjoyed the fresh sarny's but serious walkers 1 & 2 were off like a shot! We never saw them again. After chats with organiser and abit of a rest we were off again. Legs were tired of the ups and I really felt the next climb to the windfarm, where we had to be re-routed and go well out of our way because of construction work. Had to jump a huge trench and marvelled at the size of these wind turbines before another area of rough which I coped with extremely well this time. Wasn't long before we started the climb to the top of the huge summit we could see to the left of us. "Looks like a spoilheap" I kept saying but it was the highest point in miles and the route description stated it was a self clip CP and we had to have 'A COMPULSARY 5 MINUTE BREAK TO ADMIRE THE VIEWS'. Wonder what the name of this hill is? searching the route descrition .... and there it was ...... 'Tylorstown Tip' Hmmmm!! Great views though image SELF CLIP (20M & 4885ft).

Much of the last section now was runnable and we did well on our tired legs image the next CP was a lovely pub in the middle of nowhere up high. Sun was beating down on us but because of time restraints with getting back we had to resist the urge to buy a pint image  (CP 4 21.25M & 5000ft).
    As we left this CP a group of 3 very serious looking runners passed heading to the CP and Rich and I passed comment on how well we must be doing for runners to be passing us so late in the event, even though they did start an hour after us!! image Lots of running again in this last section and found and followed the course redirection which was due to a motocross event. Was great to see and hear the racing cars wizzing round just above us and at last we made our way down to the finish CP 5 27M & 5570ft of ascent. Well done us and what a lovely day (7:21)

• Did you pay your 50p PM? image I forgot image

Bristol 10k today -really looking forward to it image

Good to read that the all the core stuff actually has a noticeable effect on your running after a while as I'm just starting to try and sort a long term problem out doing this kind of thing -need something to keep me going with it all!

• Great to hear of your day out RC and TR - hope that ankle was ok. 26 miles and 5200 ft that quite go really, even as a run walk it's a major undertaking. You've been sneakily getting all fit again whilst the rest of us languish! We should love to do another LDWA event - though after Ponton Carol was keen to be much much fitter (which I think she has achieved) as being followed by the sweeper was annoying. We did take our time and ate loads at the stops. If we do another we must cover the ground more quickly.

When is the next *local* (30 miles radius) LDWA event?

Having run on Tuesday, I went to the gym wed and walked again in sutton park with Carol , this time we went round the park the other way. Fri we cycled 11 miles round the canal but I left my work phone in the Fingerpost pub and had to drive over there later and get it back! With gym yesterday and then massive gardening I was a bit frazzled today but got out for a run this afternoon which has left me cream crackered and it was only 3 miles.

Me and Carol are off to Snowdon on fri night for an early sat climb. Amy is off riding all day - might be in the park ! With Calshot inthe new forest the week after I hope to get much more walking and cycling in plus perhaps a nice run in the new forest.
  • Sutton Park Gate Run

Wed 29th June

5.30pm - 7.30pm

£3

From Town Gate.

• Great turn out for the Cobra Classic at the weekend over 120 entered first male back on a hilly course in under 40 mins.  Was a nice day spent with so very nice people, roll on next years image.

Managed a little road run last night round the scenic streets of Erdington image five miles in under 39 mins so getting back slowly , nice cross country club run tonight.

Have a good run all .

• Hi rich!! how is that ankle now? especially after a 26mile XC! I saw the Cobra Classic advert pinned to streetly gate, I loved that race, it would have been nice to do it. I managed a short 3 miler on sunday afternoon but paid for it all day yesterday with a painful shin that felt like I'd been kicked hard in the muscle. Even with all the walking , cycling and gym I felt like I'd ran 10 miles not 3!! I don't know whats wrong! I thought about another 3 miler on Wednesday as the van is in for MOT. Gym this morning.

The park run would be nice but mon - wed evenings I work late as the norm.

I'd still like to try Aldridge 10K but not if it means hobbling about for weeks on end.I'd rather be fit to go climbing with carol.
  • Be nice to bump into each other again soon Mike seems ages .

Ankle still on my mind everytime i go over rough ground and can feel a little sore at times but its getting there , just got to remember i'm not 18 anymore and these things take time. Keep plugging away at it Mike and hopefully we will have a natter and a run soon cheers mate.

• Hiya TR - Was a great day and came home in 46.22. Some tough hills so pretty ok with time. Met some Cobra runners that sometimes do the cannon hill park run saturday mornings. Soz never got to say HELLO but spose will get other opps. All the best with your ongoing recovery - Boing Boing

Nice sign of respect having the medal ribbon in the wolves colours  - john

• Went to the club again last night (2 weeks in a row - blimey, I must be getting back into it!). Did a very tough speed session (last week was more stamina) in /victoria Park. Involved sprinting between benches/bins then recovery jog and included a bloody long hill. Did just over 4 circuits of the park and it was knackering. Gritted my teeth to get up the hill the last time! But it felt good at the end. I'm going to make a real effort to get out tomorrow and Friday after work as I have the Tyntesfield 10k on Tuesday.

Lots of folk from Southville RC off to Edinburgh this weekend. Good luck to Juicer and everyone I know doing it.

• PruePrue ✭✭✭
    JA - Well done on the Cobra classic

TR/Caz - Sounded like a lovley picnic day out some where new. LDWA days are fab!

I ran the Sheffihayles 7m on Sunday, lovley run over in Staffordshire, kids fun run the little un and his mate took part in, BBQ and cakes image Very well organised and a great day all in all image One for next years calender!

Is anyone heading to the Park this Sunday???
    Its the Hill West 10K... I'll be there, running on tired legs as have a day in the hills planned the day before, but be nice to see a few friendly faces.

Caz - Didn't you win this,or place 2nd a few years back, I seem to remember a few bottles of wine involved the night before too image Good times!
  • Hello fellow runners

i have been thinking- we would like to trasin somewhere different

we ran Sutton Park laps once when the 100k was on, we did around 20 miles that day, i think it was 3 mile loops if i remember correctly

we'd like to join some of u - ( if u'd have us ) i need a toilet to change phil, so i hope theres disabled facilities there -

i may bring Mrs Mick along on her electric scooter, she enjoy that

no of which will be yet for a while though, i'm off sick under my GP at moment with medication

good luck always to you all

• PruePrue ✭✭✭

Hi Mick

Keep an eye out on here for training days, but we haven't had a beanie run out in a while, most of us are doing our own things now on the weekends.  What with races,injury, childcare and other commitments.

We mainly run off road, but could adapt something I'm sure.  Toliet wise you'll be lucky, they shut most of them down now in the park, due to vandals and misuse - Bushes spring to mind.  There are a couple of pubs (parkhouse @ town gate, Miller and Carter @ Bolmere gate, other wise there is Wyndly lesiure centre, and a toliet at the hut at the kiosk at town gate or visitors centre)  you'll have to check if there disabled though.  If not there is a sensory centre for children with disabilities futher in the park from the entrance of town gate to keepers pool.  They might let you use facilites there if you contact them in advance.  Hope that helps.

Go Julie Go

Have a great weekend and a nice little run in Edinburgh image

• I'M IN LONDON 2012 image

Just finished my online forms due to not being able to run this year after my little accident image and have my confirmation on my reserved place.image Roll on all the winter training.

Will watch my feet on the garden path in France on our next visit image

Have a good run all image

• TR - bloody mad!

Did the Tyntesfield 10k on Tuesday. A beautiful setting in the grounds of a big house run by the National Trust. But all hills, woods and trails - a bit like a shorter Tough Ten. Hills steep enough to wreck your lungs on the way up and make you fall on the way down. I saw several blood-splattered people at the end. So, all in all, 48.42 wasnt bad. Just as well the weather was good - it would be a nightmare in the rain! I'm sure it will be even more popular next year. A really good race.

• Just found the results and I was 94th out of 385 as well as 20th V50M out of 64. So safe to say I'm pretty chuffed with that. Just to show how hard it was only the first 4 got under 40 mins.
  • Hi all, Mick I'm with Prue , the toilets at the Main Sutton town gate have disabled access and the visitor centre just up the way past the playground should have leaflets with all the lanes marked so you can do a round route without going off road.

I should have loved Hillwest , done it many times but I wasn't up to it. Been out for a few short runs, today I went to the park and did 5.5 miles the longest run I've done since Rhayder in march.

Climbed Snowdon last week in the pouring rain and this week got all windswept in the New Forest though we all managed a 15 mile bike trek and an 8 mile walk the next day. With all the gym work and walking I'm feeling fit so todays run went really well. I'm all for Aldridge next week though it won't be quick like Peacemans (thats bloody quick!)- unless you can get to Aldridge next week peaceman and bring me in quick like we did a few years back!

TR - you are a fitter man than me if you can do that , I doubt I'll ever me marathon fit again really. Start building slowly right now and it won't be a shock to the system when the big miles kick in. I know I couldn't face it!
  • is anyone doing the Surron run on Sunday.....if so, good luck.

what has happened to UM?

• Sutton Fun Run tumps? wish I'd entered now, I might just have made it round. Went for a nice circuit of the park this morning with Carol , nice and brisk . I might cycle to sutton park tomorrow and watch the fun run as it goes past.

Thinking of climb Cadiar Idris in a few weeks if nothing else comes along - any LDWA events or events like that nearby me and carol could do I wonder?