Gutted!

Just got back from the physio. She doesn't want me running at all until at least Jan 6th. I've got damage in one of my calf muscles (the one that begins with a G) which is doesn't casue me any problems doing anything else apart from running.

I'll be gutted if I have to defer having waited 5 years for a place but even if I stay gym fit between now and then I'm worried I'll struggle to do as well as I want with only 3 months road prep.

Anyone got any similar experience?

Anyone know any good jokes? (preferably not about cripples!)

Comments

• Its devastating but look at the bright side you do have a guaranteed place for 2004 and over a year to practice for.
    Think of your new MARATHON PB.
  • Hope this cheers you up!!!

Ever wonder why the ocean is so salty??

The average blue whale produces over 400 gallons of

sperm when it ejaculates, but only 10% of that actually makes it

into his mate. So 360 gallons are spilled into the ocean every time one

unloads, and you wonder why the ocean is so salty... just a thought for the

next time your at the beach Brings a whole new meaning to "Don't swallow the

water"
  • How do you explain the Dead Sea then Wolfy?
  • Hildy: NO comment!!!! tee hee hee
  • Is that why they're called sperm whales??

400 gallons does seem an awful lot, even for something the size of a whale.
  • Sorry - Mr Higgo - that got rather off topic. Commiserations - but if it's just until Jan 6th that doesn't necessarily kill you hopes off altogether for 2003 does it?

I've just got back from the physio too, and been told my problem at the top of the hamstrings will take 9 months to sort out properly, but I'm still going for FLM2003. I'm managing to run 16 miles without more than a stiffness and soreness, so for me it's not completely scuppering me.

Guess it depends how serious it feels - a couple of weeks off isn't too bad if you can get back to running after that?
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Hi Iain

It's already cost me 3 weeks running, though I've been trying to stay at least gym fit. Current plan is to see what the opinion is on Jan 6th. If I get the all clear I've got 14 weeks and I reckon I'll be OK. Any more delay though and it's looking like deferment. I'm a bit more hopeful today as I've just done a good hour in the gym with no pain.
  • Mr Higgo - don't panic you may be OK! Early Jan is still enough time, right!? Hope so! I only have a sprained ankle but it's had me out since I got my FLM confirmation. Please god I'll be OK by New Years. Is this generally enough time? My fitness was good but I feel like I'm losing it now. Anything that puts pressure on any part of my foot is agony.
    An hour in the gym is great Higgo but be careful!!!!
  • You certainly can still do it. Did mine last year on Jan 10th and didn't run again for 6 weeks. 6 weeks later I finnished the FLM in 3.12.

I'm no expert but ....... transfer your training to the x-trainer and the bike in the gym. Tempo and long run on x-trainer speed sessions on the bike.

When I did mine last Jan I was fairly fit and kept up that fitness over the 6 weeks. It took me a further 3 weeks to get back the running fitness I'd lost.

Remember not to get carried away because you felt no pain in the gym today. The muscle will still be very week so don't over stretch or over use it.

Can you do it? Think of the time you're hoping for. Focus on that and nothing will stop you .................... hopefully.

Good luck.
  • If you already have a good base of fitness then you may very well get back quite quickly. I had a long layoff over the summer and was amazed how quickly I got back to 16 mile runs. Again - don't rush it, and listen to your body obviously, but don't panic either!

I had to defer in 2002 due to a virus, and didn't do so until the last minute, so I know what it's like, but you don't need to make a decision for ages yet.

Good luck.
  • I'm am just back running after what sounds
    like a similar injury. . . .

I spent about 5 weeks in the gym driving
    myself mad listing to kiss FM (seems
    ubiquitous for all gyms these days for
    no good reason), xtraining, running and
    rowing.

Back running about 2 weeks ago. I had lost
    some road fitness but I am also building
    up steadily (4, 7, 10) miles . . .

My 5 mile to work time this am was 40 min
    compared with 39 min b4 the injury. Hoefully
    you should manage to get back to previous
    fitness and distance in 3/4 weeks. Still
    lots of time to build up for April.

natnif

• Top tip ............. or not.

Most physio's advise against this as it prevents the calf extending fully, but if you're realy concerned. You can put a heel raise in the back of your trainers. This prevents your calves and achillies tendon from over stretching.
    It just takes a little of the presure off the full leg extension when running. Be carefull though, as if you use them for a while your calf will have got used to not stretching that extra half a cm. It won't help you come to running ansooner but it might help prevent a re-occurance.
    Ask your physio, he might even sugest heel raises.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Just done an hour on the elliptical (cross) trainer -
    (-) unspeakably boring
    (+) absolutely no pain from the dodgy calf

• How about heel raises and a stretching regime?

Ask the physio obviously - my idea (and I'm not an expert by any means) is that the heel raise takes the pressure off the cald when you're running, but you work alongside that to try to lengthen the claf for the future.

I have a heel raise (on the advice of a physio) as one leg is shorter than the other, plus I do lots of stretches on that leg. It works OK for me but might not for you.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    I'm certainly doing lots of stretching and also friction/manipulation of the scar tissue itself. For those who've never had this delight it involves finding the lump of scar tissue in the calf muscle then working it with your thumb 30 times (or until you can't stand the pain any longer), then massaging it out, doing another 30 followed by another 2x30 with a stretch on the muscle. Now the last 60 really do hurt!

I don't want to get into heel raises as I think I'd rather get things right rather than compensate.

I have to say things are looking much better now than last week when I first posted. I can still feel the scar tissue when I go hunting for it but everything feels fine and dandy. My biggest challenge at the moment is resisting running. I so wanted a little jog on the treadmill this morning but I know where that would lead!
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Definitely not gutted anymore!

Over the last week or so I've not been able to find any problem with the calf either in the gym or while doing the physio exercises. Went to physio yesterday afternoon and was given the all clear. So last night out with the slower group at my club (Macc Harriers), ran 6 miles without any discomfort last night or this morning.

Now 6 mile at 10 min miling is not where I was before I tore the muscle but I'm pretty confident I can pick it up again and I'm definitely ON for London.