SHOREHAM COASTERS

We are a group of runners who formed via the FLM page. As we approach 2000 hits on our thread, and our numbers are increasing,we wanted a more permanent home. So here we are!
Runners/joggers of all abilities are more than welcome to join in the fun. We support each other via this thread, go training together,and meet socially.See you out there,and hopefully on here.

Comments

• Morning all....here we are then after some debate, which I read and enjoyed immensely.

Congrats Dips on the job.

I think the excitement of another Marathon is great but I have not yet forgotten what FLM took out of me. I haven't run yet because of one or two calf issues and will rest for another week with minor cross training. I have a better understanding the rigours of doing one and will not suggest another lightly.

I threw Snowdon in as a laugh knowing the times from last year and the course having driven most of it early April. If a PB or good for age is a target then Amsterdam has to be the option. Apart from the hills if weather plays a part in Snowdon in October then any PB would be totally destroyed. I was in vicious hail storms and sub zero windchill in the Llanberis pass in early April so take your chances.

I have a date with the sprint version of the London Tri in August, which is a bit of a side issue but good for all round fitness. Then the plan is DisneyWorld in Florida on Jan 8 at this moment unless other commitments for us and/or other families changes.

It's a bit unlikely that I will go for an Autumn marathon. I am more likely to enjoy some 10ks this summer and stick to half marathons maybe including the Great North on 24 Sep and others.

Sorry to go on.

• Hello all .

Nice place you have here N!
    If a little sparse!

Agree completely Marmotte .I think I vary from day to day as to whether I will even do another,not sure if my body was made to run them!!Am going to leave it a year I think ,so will apply for flm by ballot ,if not in then may try another . Look forward to doing halves though and would happily come to support those doing the full.
    Hope your calf problems settle by the way.Nothing serious I hope.

RE track N -What time?
    Anyone else care to join us?

• Morning all, so Snowdon is sounding less attractive by the minute - hills, adverse weather - and the local cafes will probably only serve tea, whereas Amsterdam....but on the other hand Snowdon would be more of a challenge!!
  • Just realised Mr cc has changed my picture while I've been out! It's dangerous him being off work!
  • Nice picture ,what is he saying !!
  • I have the video Shirl....enjoyed most of it last night and will pass it on to Nozzer later this week.

Thanks CC - I don't think the calf is too bad but will have some massage later this week.
  • Few more piccs are up,still no sign of DG though.

• Found it eventually. Hope we'll be very happy here.
  • Totally agree with Marmottes strategy re.racing. Got a few races planned to keep the motivation going - 10ks, 10 miler, and a couple of halves. Can understand those who still have marathon training in their legs though. Way back, I did two marathons inside a month, just for the hell (?!) of it - London and the now defunct Poole.Hilly course,but did it quicker than London and got a Poole Pottery coaster for my trouble.

Anytime after school run suits me,CC. Shall I collect you on the way?
  • CC - how does Mr CC get the pictures so small (i.e. under the max. mb required)
  • Sorry I missed you last night,Marmotte. Duty called! Hope the calf niggle gets sorted. I can reccomend a good physio!
    Re.FLM video/BBC coverage - If I had the money, Id challenge Ms. Patronising, commonly known as Sue Barker, and the Geordie Whinger commonly known as Brendan 'I was a bit good in the seventies' Foster to actually run the b###dy thing! I imagine their commentating would be a whole lot better afterwards! Ah, thats better! Can you tell I worked last night?!
  • Shirl- I think its just a matter of trying lots of different pictures,they don't always work.

N- Or I'm happy to collect you .Whatever suits.
    If you collect I'm buying the coffee's though:)
    9:30 ish

Well Homebase beckons ...
  • dragged here kicking and screaming by N!!

Wanted to squat in our former home!

CC...I think you have over done the Botox my love! Mind you I've just seen one of my finish pics....look very cross!

Agree with N about FLM coverage...Brendan Foster drives me mad with his coverage of any run. Drone drone drone!

N...HEI = Higher Education Institutes. Very exciting.

I too change my mind about what races to do so will just bide my time for a while. Amsterdam would be good and I think a few from my women's club are interested too. Could be HS's lucky weekend!!!! I have also hankered after the Beachy Head mara for a couple of years, and then there is New York!
  • Hello all -
    ( pulling up a new chair - not wuite as comfy as the old place - but sure we'll make it homey in no time)

CC - not sure about the new image - do you think that'll go with the bridesmaids outfit??

Well I'm going to do a bit of research on flights etc. to the dam - am quite happy to do either taht ort Snowdon - and Dips what's this about New York ?? Would really love to do that but might try for a charity place for it next year after all the FLM charity hassling ahs been a little forgotten by my kind sponsors.
  • I think i need a spell checker !!
  • CC- If you jog down to the Red Lion, I'll pick you up at 9.30. Any problem,just txt me,ok?
    Just back from 'triathlon' session at the gym - 30 mins of each- bike,x-trainer,rower.
    Got blisters on feet and hands!
    May look up cross-training articles on here. No point in doing it just for the sake of it!
  • Will be out running in approx 40 mins. Just finished my GCSE coursework marking, so should have spring in step. Forumming could be limited tonight as some kind person has lost my laptop power cable, so juice needs to be conserved in case i need to use it for work!!
    Three forts half still on for me. see you there Dips!
    What happened to the tick list for the next meeting?
  • A couple of years ago Brendan did do a race - I think it was the FLM - but it might have been another well-known half like the great North or something. Saw him at Crystal palace once (athletics thingy) and thought he looked a "bit cudly" - then saw him on TV 6 months later and he'd lost loads of weight - within minutes of seeing him so slim on TV he must have been reading my mind as he explained he was training for running the ....

But Sue Barker well definately Ms patronising - as if David Ginola would look at her twice
  • It was the Greaf Norf, his over rated and highly expensive baby.
  • Well, I have just received the following email...

Dear Martyn Smith,

Thank you very much for your entry.

We wish you all the best with your preparations, and are pleased to welcome you in Amsterdam on Sunday 16 October 2005.

http://www.ingamsterdammarathon.nl/home/index.php

So what are you waiting for?????????

• Going out for a run now - will check responses to post above on my return!!!
  • Good luck and don't they all speak such good english?
  • HS-Well don't keep a monkey in suspense full or half????

Can't enter till payday I'm afraid.
  • Blimey! Thats assertive HS!
  • Guess CC!!! You little monkey!!!
  • Well done Hs! I think we needed the push !
    during lunch hour today found the following info:
    Flights depending on time and how many are travelling can be purchesed for £74 all in or less
    Had alook at some hotels - found some really central ones for about £50 / person(twin) per night or also sam some quite basic central hotels with twin ensuites for £25 approx per night or £22 each for ens uite 4 bed dorm - might be o.k if some Dips girlies are intrested - - so we could do it for approx £150 cheapie option plus transfers .

• DG - Easyjet were about £53 when I lasy looked.

We had talked about going Friday and coming back Monday. Is that still the plan or would peeps rather go Saturday to cut down on nights (and cost) away?
  • Oh, and on hotels... basic is OK but some of the cheapest don't have own shower etc - you have to 'share' on that's down the hall!!!
  • Oh... and just another small thing... any chance of some male company on the trip??