Sub 3:00 FLM 2006

Comments

• NM2

My interest on football peaked in 1966 when as a 9 year old I saw England win the World Cup. My support has declined gradually over the years as the national teams fortunes have waned. Now my ten year old son shows precious interest in it at all. He's not even collecting the WC2006 soccer stickers! Didn't even know who was in the FA Cup Final until the day before the match.

The result is that the only table I'm interested in is my running ranking, especially amongst you mob. I'll spread the word about your website though.

Went out with the club 'A' squad last night, and must have covered 10k at HM race pace. So much for the scheduled recovery run.

Surprised I could sustain that pace for so long. Wasn't tailed off at the back either.

Pyramid session tomorrow on tarmac.
    Cannot wait.
  • Hail Hail

Congrats to D07, and a big "coochy coo" welcome to B07. You took so long to reach the finish line, you're obviously taking after your dad already!!!! A major "Well done" to Mrs07 as well. Now that you've got the hat-trick, I suppose you'll be getting subbed eh D07?

Still off-line unfortuinately, so only intermittent postings I'm afraid. No decision yet as to autumn marathon (but prob Berlin), and will wait to see if I make sub 2.45 in Edinburgh. A new 10k pb though from yesterday of 35.38. Started off too slow and felt extremely comfortable the whole way, apart from the last 500m which was an all out explosion. Reckon 35.00 is on the cards on a good day.

21M @ 6.45s today. One more big run next week then taper for Edinburgh.

GR - further to CRABs ultra advice, I would suggest at least starting with a Scottish accented person, for oh say 500m or so. Previous use of this tactic has given you a PB remember!!
  • DN - fair enough. Stanley Matthews and Bobby Moore aren't on the lists any more anyway and you know they all wear shorter shorts now too...

RB - sub 35 eh? That would be impressive. Bit of a cop out to be running 10ks though isn't it? It's been at least a week or so, surely you're due another marathon...
  • Seem to have recovered from the cuts & bruises and feel just about ready for a 1500m tomorrow, although a little under prepared in the speed-work department.

Aiming for a 4:25, which is in the region of 4:40 mile pace. If my body reponds well to the 1500 pace speed work, maybe I can take 15 seconds off that by the end of the T&F season. I see Mcmillan equates 4:07 to a sub 2:30, so still along way to go before thinking of marathons (although now very tempted to jog Berlin with a sub 3 aspirant from my club).
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    tis very quiet in here..

well I did my first set of hills reps on Fri.. 10x 20-30secs up a faily steep hill (ala Lydiard), and my legs, ankles in particular, are still fck'd. Mind didn't help that I did 19 miles on sat morning aswell... but bloody hell I really didn't think I'd still be sore now..

nowt much else to report..

nice 10k PB there RB !!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    007's - congratulations to you all.....
    JEJ - How did the 1500 m go?
    RB - How nice was it?
    Cartman - Hill reps - might give these a guy after assidously avoiding for 2 years.
    Crab - Of to PAris next week (Eurodisneying) recommend any good resturants?

Slowly getting back into it - the training -a heady 36 miles last week. The Plymouth half marathon for me this Sunday - have had a PB there for the past 2 years, so fingers crossed, but feeling a bit shot of zip, think I left my mojo at mile 24 on FLM.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that they improve my running form and make my wombles really feel like wombles, and marathon pace feel like a fast but manageable run and not the nad fest, leg pumping run it does do now.. just reckon I'm not used to any speed at all.

FWIW after I finished them I did feel much more "springy". however, my ankle is still achey ! and my quads ached the whole way through yesterdays bike ride too..

its interesting, but since I've been doing the equivalent on the bike (lots of hills) my wombling pace on the bike has started feeling real easy, and NADS out on the bike, feels manageable.

this week I plan to do 15x30 secs with 90 secs recovery (i.e. walking back down the hill). 30 mins in total, with 4.5 miles before, and 4.5 miles after is a quite a good session.
  • Morning all

Guys (and girls).......

Have any of you ever suffered with post marathon depression?

I feel really, really down! Utterly depressed! Just can't seem to shake it. Anybody else suffered like this post marathon?

TBSIARF
  • Quick 1500m report:
    Wet & windy day in Kingston, I took the B stream 'number' as one of my clubs top distance runners (sub 71 HM) turned up.

1st lap - slow, settled in 2nd place on shoulder of above A stream runner.

2nd lap - even slower - didn't fancy rushing things though

3rd lap - slower again - closed right up and encouraged pace to increase

4th lap - 3rd and 4th place runners come through. I try to stick with them but quite a quick lap (winner 61s) was too much for my slow legs. Finished 3rd, 2 seconds behinf and a second ahead of our A stream runner. Time was only 4:29ish, but it wasn't that sort of race.

I did win the steeplechase very easily though, lapping up to third place which is nice.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Fool - can assure you that I was pretty depressed post marathon. Remedy; enter another one & train even harder

JEJ - any event you're not any good at? Pole vault, discus, 50km walk???
  • dan a - thanks for that. not sure i fancy running another one for a while. it was nice to get out and do a few gentle miles at the weekend though. I think i am just chemically imbalanced at the moment - which makes a change from just being imbalanced!
  • Dan - I had a shocker running the 110m HH at my club champs last year - after being downed by a particulaly aggressive hurdle, I had to go back about 10m to get up enough pace to finish the race. Not my finest event, although I guess a lot of people would struggle to clear one hurdle - at 3.5' they're a little bit higher than DN.
  • TBSIARF/ Dan A, post-marathon depression? I hear ye! Other than the day or so afterwards, I've been a miserable sod since race day. Maybe it is something due to a chemical imbalance caused by lack of running as much however the motivation is not there to go out as much. Perhaps it is all a vicious circle!

Maybe another challenge is required - triathlon anyone?

the bat
  • OO I'd swap the Garmin for Charmin while you're out there.

fool You gotta get back on the horse fella. Sign up - doesn't have to be a mara go for a specific time at 10k or something if you don't wanna commit to a 'proper' race ;o) Improved 10k time will help mara anyway.

Managed 97.4 miles by midday Saturday last week and didn't feel the need to squeeze out the additional 2.6 in the evening - guess three figures is not a milestone anymore. A bit goosed at the moment so yesterday's planned hour lasted about half that. Gonna try and cut back a bit before getting the bit back between my teeth for the Autumn.

bat Was looking at the bike only yesterday thinking 'Bout time I gave you an airing my son' - but I managed to leave it at that. So at present still a runner, who swims sometimes and owns a bike. CM Is it like AA do you have to admit you've got a problem before being able to do anything about it?

That d07's a bit sporadic with his postings. Got his priorities all wrong that boy ;o) Hope it's all still going well mate.
  • JEJ LOL! Ever tried javelin catching? I'm sure you'd be excellent at that.

TBSIARF Pull yourself together lad. True depression, is when you are injured and cannot run, (or when some smart aleck is constantly taking a pop at your age height).

Did a 20 mile x/c on Sunday in the rain. Absolutely wonderful, even if I never get my sub 3 the thrill of being so fit that I can run that sort of distance at the drop of a hat, beats any depression brought about by my recent failure in Vienna.

• sporadic yes....that and struggling to keep my head a bove water. First day back in work today and I reckon after a whole morning at it i'm still only 1/2 finished wading through all the e mails. (half of which are now out of date) E mail WAS such a powerful tool but is really suffering from overuse and abuse by numpties who think it prudent to "copy all" on replies. Rant over.

Did a whopping 16 miles (running) last week with my first 3 runs in nearly 3 weeks. No ill effects to speak of and shins seem to be fine. so will build mileage back up slowly (needless to say trying to find time at the moment is somewhat taxing)

I may not be posting much but rest assured I'm with you in spirit.
  • crab, DN

thanks guys.....i think it is just a chemical thing. honestly never felt this down before.....a new experience for me. Give me a few days and a few more runs and i'm sure I'll feel like the old self.

Put me in front of "Animal Hospital" with Rolf, or a film like "The Champ" and I'll be in tears within seconds. What a state to get into!

I think I over spent on my "marathon guts and determination" in my last race. I am now as hard, brave and determined as Arnold Rimmer. Thanks 26.2!
  • TBSIARF - I was pretty fed up after last year's FLM having blwon up at 20 miles also. I think it's just the sheer amount of preparation that makes a marathon more difficult in that regard - tis a lot harder to simply `get back on the horse' coz you know exactly how much work that means.

Just my opinion but - I'd give yourself a mental and physical break for a week or two - watch a bit of World Cup footy, have a few beers and just run when you feel like it. And I bet before you know it you'll be chomping at the bit to start proper training again. I think if you force yourself back onto a training schedule before you're ready you could get a bit stale.

I've always found a bit of fantasy football cures all evils too...! (see earlier post.)

Was up till the am hours working six nights out of seven last week so had to cut back to 30 mpw. But light at the end of the tunnel now - final exam on my course coming up beginning of June so June, July and August are gonna be my big base training months, followed by a bit of sharpening up and a taper.

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

Fool, re-mount that bike!

Just putting the finishes touches on my schedule for next year. It’s a Lydiard, Hadd, P+D, Mike Gratton mix. It starts today and kicks in more seriously on 21st August (interrupted by cycle ride to Spain and 2 weeks holiday). If all goes well 15th January is when base building will be achieved/completed.

My intermediate targets include: 4 more hard and controlled half marathons to keep things ticking over, build up milage to a 100 mile week (my pb is 80), enjoy cycle trip

Running 7 days a week could be an issue, but everything else should be doable. New job for me in September (400metres from Hampstead Heath 3.5 miles from home) means that regular doubles are definitely on the cards and that enjoyable routes can be planned.

This the idea
    Hr max = 188 (weight 9st 7lb)

Womble = up to 139bpm till my heart’s content
    One controlled run at 150bpm once a week
    Alternate track sessions between 5k time trial with 200/200 10k Hadd session once a week
    Maintain 2 hour run once a week

Are there any glaring errors in my tactics?
  • all sounds very good to me Nick. Like you I am a big footy fan (season ticket holder at the Champions), and I am really looking foward to the world cup.

I have a post marathon schedule that I am following and it looks it is going to take a few weeks to get back up to speed (5 at least I think). So will enjoy the break while i can

TBSIARF
  • DN Agree totally on being grateful. Not just a fitness thing either I used to think how lucky I was to have the health, wealth and time to play golf when many people are defficient in at least one of those areas. And it is mad that (most of) us on here can run distances that to the sedentary are staggeringly long - case in point Saturday for me ran 8miles to the gym swam a mile (esp for GR) then ran 8miles home and never gave it a second thought.

n2 You might want to drop a few pounds from that weight lardy boy. If you're gonna peak at 100miles and do some effort sessions then it can't be too far from doing you some good.

fool Beware of NM2 and his drink beer, watch football and run when you want training regime. Remember his marathon record ;o))

d07 Agree on the email thing. Got a guy here who will constantly reply to all with such classics as 'Dave can you call me about this?' How the fck should I know I'm not Dave!! I can tell you it's frustrating slowing from 100mph down to 80 whilst haplessly traversing all three lanes trying to retrieve the Crackberry from amongst the chunky KitKat and Ginsters wrappers in the footwell of the car to be confronted with one of his classics.

NM2 I'm with Grumpy Old Dull on the football thing. Used to live, frt and sht it but wouldn't cross the road to watch a lot of it now. I know let's all try and con the referee and then moan when one of the oppostion manages to pull the wool over his eyes but ignore it when we do. Case in point being last Wednesday. Thierry Mourinho should remember Eboue dived and should have been sent off for a 'horror' tackle before the goal. Got a lot of time for the Va Va Voom-meister so I will forgive him this one misdemeanour (bet he's relieved to hear that) but if he's on the bandwagon where's it gonna end?

Oh my god I've tried to turn the thread into MOTM World. Apologies.
  • "fool Beware of NM2 and his drink beer, watch football and run when you want training regime. Remember his marathon record ;o))"

hmmm - you may have a point....!
  • point taken - but I will go with Nick's flow for a bit!
  • Tsk...the boy just turned into a fool ;o))
  • Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Hi All,
    Things have been a bit manic at work just recently (15hr days)so have not had a chance to post much.
    Thanks to Dan/Tmap for the ultra tips, i think i'm just going to go out and enjoy the day.
    R.B-congratulations on the new 10k p.b, things are looking good for Edinburgh.How are you getting on with the Asics speedsters (the yellow ones)
    Jej-well done on the 1500m, what sort of mileage are you doing at the moment?
    n2- 9 stone 7lb...bloody hell mate,you need a decent hot meal;o))

I've managed just over 60m for the last couple of weeks,now looking towards the Yateley 10k's so starting to add bit more speedwork.
    Happy training all
  • I see someone has finally broken the near 24 hour silence!

GR, I'm on a low mileage regimen covering about 75 miles per week, but with 3 speed sessions (one at 1500m pace, one at 3 - 5km pace, one hills) plus my Monday night 10 miler has been finishing at sub 5:30 pace for the last 2 weeks, although starting at a more sedate pace.

It makes a big difference not having to cover 20+ miles on the Sunday - I've cut the long run down to 90 - 100 mins (14 - 15 miles)

Other than those sessions, I'm just padding things out with steady mileage - simply because it fits into my lifestyle (work lunch).
  • 75 mpw = low mileage

(NM2's current avg of) 40 mpw = positively embarassing mileage
  • 40mpweekend? That's about what I averaged through the winter!
  • is this forum turning into a mileage "p!ssing contest"?