Sub 3:00 FLM 2006

Comments

• Hail Hail

CRAB - and you complained about my socks? You've obviously got some decent genes in there after all!!
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Odeon,
    Well I'm back. Did 56m last week, and 80% pace is down to 7:34m/m. Hamstring is almost 100%. Got some weights to do and hopping shuttles to strengthen it.
    Been catching up, lots to read.
    Hard luck DN in the Vienna marathon, great attempt.
    Can't resist a stab DN (55 mpw you must be feeling great)
    You will surely PB - 18:14 for me!
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    DN,
    19:55 is my prediction. It's a bit on the wet side up here in North London. hope thry don't keep you standing around too long at the start.

WW,
    my hamstrings gone as well. that's why i've not had much to post. bliddy weight training, i knew there was a reason why i hate it.

a week in rhodes for me starting tomorrow. i'll be doing no/low milage.
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    forgot to say hello to odeon.

fwiw, I think you should run the upcoming marathon very conservatively. that way you will recover well and be motivated to put in some higher milage in preparation for a marathon in october. based on the milage you have done for this marathon you are going to be short of your true potential.

ps. this is coming from someone yet to achieve sub 3. however, i am well aware of the weak areas of my training and a firm beliver that increased milage while avoiding injury makes a significant difference.

• Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    N2, have a good holiday. Rest the hmstring, ice it if you can, then get to a physio when you get back. And most important of all, take the advice and stick to the rehab plan no matter how you think it feels.
    If its a tear it will be 3 weeks before you should run at all.
    I tried to short cut the rehab and tore it again, and then had to pull out of FLM06.
    Its tough being on the bench but rhodes will make it bearable i'm sure!
  • n2 I'm a fan of the no-low milage approach too.

RB Still smarting that I bought you a drink and that was nearly two months ago ;o)

DN With the m/wetronome up the Swanny (fell out with him once where did he go - he did congratulate me on Cardiff though so let's put that behind us) I reckon you might struggle a bit and if the wind is anything like it was on the seafront down here this morning (jogging 6:30's on the way out but not quite as comfortable or quick on the way back!!)then PB is not gonna be the name of the game still think you'll sneak a SPAM or two under 19minutes though even with the whippet's ribs being hidden by the Labrador cuddliness again. Let's go for 18:56.

CM Still doing my raindance for tomorrow.
  • LFOTM5K

18.14 WW
    18.22 odeon
    18.56 CRAB
    19.03 JEJ
    19.55 nichs2

101 seconds from first to last.

I hate the waiting!

• ...AND THE WINNER IS odeon

3.30 1k
    3.36 2k
    3.48 3k
    3.47 2k
    3.43 2k

18.24 5k

8 secs outside a pb, and I'm totally thrilled with it only 19 days after Vienna.

the time above is unofficial

WAVA 78.3%

• Hail Hail

Nice one DN! I had secret thoughts about 18.30, but was feart to say anything. You've obviously recovered extremely well. Well done.
  • DN Life in the old Labrador yet. Good effort. Pleased to see experience doesn't prevent the 1st k being the quickest.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    well done DN, pretty shocking pacing, but well done all the same...;-)
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    oh, and much as it pains me to admit it, dann it, I might acutally be using my metro-whats-its-name, apparently I turn into a bit of lazy toad in the pool after a while and let my stroke count drop..
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    dn,
    with that time it makes me think that you were holding back in Vienna

wel done!
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    and another thing,
    odeon pops in here and already he reckons he knows us; what right has he to get the sweep right on his first attempt. you'd have thought he had some manners.....

......i'm off home
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Well done DN.

Thx for welcome all.

N2- Have a nice time in Rhodes. Would think about conservative but with flights, accomodation etc, difficult to hold back. Too many people at work "I've done this time, blah blah..." Need a decent marker.

RB- Any decent pubs for the england game?
  • Hail Hail

Odeon - all depends on wether or not you want your head kicked in!! Where are you staying? The only prob with Embra pubs is that the best ones sell the stuff that we're not allowed until about 20 hours after the game finishes. Damn poor organisation by FIFA if you ask me.
  • Hail Hail

Odeon - here's some info for you. Nice diary listing too!

http://www.edinburghpubguide.co.uk/
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    did an 18 mile run after work yesterday.. fck me it was awful. was totally wrecked by the end, had sore legs for hours afterwards (still not great now), and the pace was crab like @ my wombling HR ...

never doing my LSD after work on a Friday again..

• CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    err... meant to say pace with crab like @ his wombling HR, i.e. fck'in slow !!!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Mmmmmm....1.24:28 in the Plymouth half marathon yesterday, 2 minutes slower than last year, and 3 minutes slower than most recent half in March.....first time ever ran a race slower than previous...

A good race, 3,000 runners with plenty of young short-haired Marine and Navy types. Decent weather. Undulating course.

After a flying start 29:58 for 5 miles (PB) found it tough thereafter (lactate?) and normally would have dug-in to grind the 6m/15 miles out but CNBA and mentally took it too easy. Positives good 5 mile speed, useful training run, first 10 mile+ since FLM, disquiet with my performance.

So time to pull my finger out and get mpw up to 50 mpw and train to a proper schedule with hard sessions. Next half in 4 weeks time so hoping for better.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Yo Bat,

Certainly was me going over Putney Bridge last Weds. Always do that run Kew/Richmond/Mortlake/Barnes/Putney/Hammersmith/Chiswick/Brentford on Wednesdays ('bout 14 miles). Had managed 85 good miles in seven days by the end of that one, feeling like I'm getting some form back. Then a weekend away, and managed a 16 mile run today to Kingston in 2 hours+. Couldn't even call it a womble - the litter was moving faster than me.

Not sure now if I'm in good shape or awful shape; it changes by the day.

Good 5k DN; 18.01 PB still for me, so might need some attention or you'll be under 18 before me.

Currently reading a good book called 'The Perfect Distance', by Pat Butcher (no, I don't think it's the one off Eastenders, as this one once ran a 4 minute mile). All about the rivalry between Coe & Ovett through the 70's/80's. Apparently Ovett did a HM when he was 15 with no specific preparation and won in 65 mins against international opposition.
  • Hi all,

Sorry for lack of posting. Been another hideous work week, but this time managed to keep the mileage up (just snuck over 50 mpw) and even did my first track session in yonks. Was only doing 10 minute reps at 10k pace so nothing too Asafa Powell like but blimey could I feel it in the joints the next morning....

Welcome Odeon and good effort DN - I reckon getting under that 18-minute barrier could be the key to your sub-3. Not entirely convinced by the "I can run one mile in 6.45, therefore I've got the speed approach." Maybe a slight mileage holiday and a bit more quicker stuff might do you some good?
  • Dan A Great book that - especially for those aged ~35 and over. Was that the HM in borrowed trainers?

NM2 Cripes not dishing out advice on low end speed being the key to a sub3 again are we ;o)

CM Oi you - pack it in. I'll have you know the very morning of your hurtful post I wombled a fantastic 12 miles @7:29pace and 145bpm (78%). That's positivley ballistic. And anyway it's a marathon club this not a litter picking contest - looking forward to your entry to the 06 Rankings and we don't want any sandbagging about being a little flushed before the start ;o)) I know you love stats so just completed the Run-Swim-Run thing again. Two x 8 mile runs wind against on the way and it had disappeared on the way back. Nutrition and hydration not an issue.
    Out 59:09 @ 151bpm (7:24)
    Back 58:38 @ 159bpm (7:20)

I'm sure you'd like to enlighten us.

Interesting week last week looking back at the log (resists obvious juvenile gag). Ran 93miles including an unscheduled rest day and starting the week on Sunday with a CNBA 4miles meaning 5 working days yielding 89miles. Come on OO must try harder.

Went to Play Off Final at Minnellium on Saturday (v happy with the banner reading ~Womblewell Reds) and on the basis I only went to accompany bruv was pretty non-plussed until we got right outside the stadium. All of a sudden I could feel the pulse racing and then started to involuntarily breathe deeply. Took me a while to realise why then I spotted that I was in the starting street for the Cardiff Marathon - completely subconcious reaction. Bad news for NM2 and HBO Showtime et al I think I need to return in October. I reserve the right to change my mind daily for the next three months though - Friday I was a shoe in for Dublin!!
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Cheers NM2. Good 2 be here.

Hey Dan,

Remember when I banked with Barclays as a kid in the 80's and they gave advice on running and what times would be respectable as part of their welcome pack. Apparently Coe broke the 2min barrier at 14yrs for 800m! Not sure if anyone can verify this?

Completed Dimmock HM yesterday having been to wedding night before. Wasn't impressed with the 1.5m run to the start from the finish. Breezed around in 1.35.14 ( PB by 2 mins from when I was 21 10 yrs ago!)enjoying the scenery. Felt strong at the end and even took CRAB's advice and did 4 mile run when I got home.

Bit more confidence for Edinburgh but my pacing was appalling (6.50- 7.45). Sub 3.20 still target...
  • even took CRAB's advice - lol. I'll give you one more bit of advice - never, ever be so foolish again ;o)
  • Hatfield Broadoak 10k

00:03:58 caught up in the pack
    00:03:47
    00:03:46
    00:03:47
    00:03:39
    00:04:01 slight uphill
    00:03:49
    00:03:37

00:37:56 WAVA 78.6% highest ever.

The time is still unofficial.

A very very special day, as I've never even run sub 40 mins before. Really felt it was pay back time for all the hard work I'd put in over the winter.

Finished almost 30 secs in front of a Dulwich runner who I ran down over the last mile at the Cardiff marathon. A good omen.

Also my official LFOTM5K time was 18.23 (78.4%)not 18.24 as previously advertised.

So on a bit of a roll at the moment, long may it last.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Nice one DN!

Exhaustion caught up with me this weekend after the Green Belt Relay last week. Spent most of yesterday asleep. Week off, I think.

• DN Next stop WAVA factor 80%? Good to hear the hard work is paying off. That's a marker in the sand for all of the FWOTM(JJA)10k.

CM You might have a point on the wombling front. Managed to shake the persistent CNBA Monster off my back this morning (blimey it was a struggle) and decided on a 10k womble to help recovery from last night's exertions. Ran @ 139bpm (75% on the nose) and romped home at 9:10 pace on the flat with no wind. lol. Punch that into your 3.99secs/mile/bpm (approx) and see what it throws up ;o)
  • Awesome run DN.... amazing that you've recovered so quickly after Vienna - testament to the regular wall-bangers perhaps?

Crab - re: "dishing out advice" - valid point. Didn't mean to `dish' just to proffer... ;0)

So would like to emphasise that (cue Spanish accent) "I know nothing...." but - in a vague attempt to justify what I was saying - I was just thinking about DN's marathon time and pacing. He missed the 3 hour mark in a slightly different way from me and most others who missed it. Whereas I blasted off too fast and blew up at 18-20m (which is probably the most common way to fukk it up) DN ran a pretty controlled race and paced it evenly throughout. Given the number of 3hr wall-bangers he's put in, I would have thought his aerobic fitness should be pretty spot on (unlike mine, which is pants, hence the wombling), so perhaps a little bit of extra speed would be all that's required.

Having said all that, it looks like the speed is coming naturally now anyway...

What do you think DN - over that 80% WAVA mark by July?

• Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

D.N-Congratulations great time and well paced things are certainly heading in the right direction....well done old chap

OO-chin up mate, you probably still had a bit of flm in the old legs however 1.24 is still a very respectable time on a fairly tough course

Crab- Good work there fella, nearly 90 miles in 5 days....like your style

Odean-welcome aboard

Well,I managed my longest run ever on Sunday about 30miles in a touch over 4 hours along the Basingstoke canal,Legs felt a bit heavy on yesterdays plod but not so bad this morning.It certainly gave me food for thought regarding the 50m challenge....I think its gonna hurt!!
    I have entered the complete Yateley 10k series so next race outing scheduled for 7th June.