Sub 3:00 FLM 2006

Comments

• NM2 We should all be free to dish out advice (even CM) it's for the reader to pick out the bones and decide what they want to take on board and try or enter into a debate about the merits of such a theory - that way hopefully we all learn from each other's successes and failures. I think it must have been at least a fortnight since someone said 'There's more than one way to skin a cat' or 'We're all different' so I guess it's about time.
  • Nice one, DN. For comparison in August last year I ran 18:05 / 37:38 - then a fairly comfy sub 3 the following month. I'm sure you'll be there by August.
  • Totally confused about WAVA's now as there are two sets of tables.
    On 1994 benchmarks I score 78.6%
    on the new 2006 benchmarks I score 78.8%

Although I'm pretty certain if I can do a track mile in 5:15 then I'll get my 80%.

My old PB was 5.19set May04 when I'd only just started running, and I'm a bit worried as I've only done endurance work for 12 months, but I know the old speed is still there, should I care to test drive it.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Crab, what planet R U from ?? 7:30 pace one day @ 78%HR, 9:10 pace @ 75%HR the next...

Well my experimenation with hill reps continues, did another set yesterday. Have noticed fck all difference in running since started doing them, apart from the diabolical long run on Friday. But I'm putting that down to the previous days poor nutrition (large bucket of fried chicken and a sandwich). That said, given my recent experience with strength training on the bike, I expect it to kick in a couple of weeks time.

Damn good result there DN !

I think NM2 is onto something re: the old endurance vs. speed. As I've been discovering recently in cycling, the fatigue (as opposed to depletion, which is also important) factor is very important (even more so in cycling than running becuase the forces are much higher).

Basically muscle fibres fatigue more quickly the more force they are required to produce. So while wombling @ 75%HR around helps its not good enough, cos marathon pace requires higher forces (~10%HR worth !).

But the furthest most (Crabbies excluded) run at marathon pace (i.e. force) in training is only ~13 miles, yet we need to go 26.2. So we need additional anti-fatigue conditioning, hence step in 10k's, 5k's, hill reps to produce the higher forces than will be experience in the marathon, which causes fibres to break and repair more strongly, and hence less likely to fatigue in the future.

Probably obvious to most already, after all they do appear in most schedules, but its only recently I really understood the importance.
  • CM You should try being in my (RED) shoes and trying to fathom out myself compared to everyone else on here. Just before Paris it all seemed quite uniform but now it's all over the parish again. Nowhere near as 'fit' in terms of race ready but certainly should be a lot more consistent as I'm banging out the miles. Seem to have a very big cake with a real mixture of slices. Was planning on holding back until sometime in July/August before trying to add some kind of (speed induced) icing. Still as long as it keeps you somewhere between amused and amazed (and fcks up your spreadie) at least it's not all in vain.
  • backed by CM - there goes any remaining credibility I had.... ;0)
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    NM2, talking of losing all credibility were is that HR article ??

Crab, you always leave out a bit of key information, usually something long the lines of "well the route did have a 1000m hill in it" or "there was a 30 mph gail blowing", and this times its the fact that you used red shoes on one run and presumblably another colour on the the other.
  • CM - Still working on it - having real trouble getting hold of this guy who's meant to be very knowledgeable on the subject. But will let you know as soon as I do.

In the meantime here's a spamtastic fact I came across the other day while researching. A group of US sports scientists wanted to test the theory that your body naturally chooses the pefect stride length and cadence (strides per minute.) They followed some college athletes through their careers and found that virtually all of them decreased their stride length and upped their cadence (from about 170 to a supposed `ideal' of 180 spams) as they progressed through their careers from beginners to experienced athletes.

So they concluded that amateur runners probably overstride naturally and therefore don't do a high enough spam rate (is that the correct technical term DN?) and would therefore benfit from trying to cut their stride length and up their cadence.

Was trying it a bit on my lunchtime run - felt a bit weird, like I was shuffling along, but did seem to be very slightly easier doing it that way.
  • NM2

WOW! Stunning fact. Can you post the link on here. The Yanks are sure to have plastered their findings on the internet somewhere.

First the wetronome, and now this. I was at the cutting edge of running research and never realised it.

Mind you I started spamming at 180 and now run at 205-210.
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Did a local club 10k on Sunday as part of a 3 day event. 35.51 for a pb. Did 36.50 odd last year so a minute off and have done only 4 and 5 milers since London mara so quite happy with time and have had cold for last week. Got stitch in last 400m when i decided to push it to the finish but had to slow down so it didn't bring me to a complete stop and just breathe out hard. Did a mile on the track yesterday morning for event 2 and did 5.05. Did want to break 5min but legs were tired. Have a 2.8mile hill run tonight for event 3. I'm leading this so unless I fall over should be ok.
    Got an Aquathlon in Guildford on Friday which is 500m swim and 5k run. Then week tomorrow is Yateley 10k so would like to do some more 35's at this series. Then finally have Windsor Tri on the Sunday after that so busy race time.
  • I tried counting and was going at about 172 - I could just about up it to 180 and remain comfortable but 205-210 is a mind-blowing spam rate.

Will try and find the paper on the net to post.
  • Oh brother. NM2 and DN are busy discussing dressage again whilst JH1 has gone the whole hog and entered a 3 day event. Tantivy, tantivy!!

JH1 35.xx is some going. Aquathon now that takes me back. Ooh the clowns off the top board, the sequins, the smell of the crowd and the roar of the greasepaint. Halcyon days for sure - now it's all John Smith's bombing, widdling in the shallow end and heavy petting. Where do I get tickets for it mate ;o)

Now do we go for the soft (aka floppy) option and aim for DN's 37.xx or hard core JH1 on the FWOTM(JJA)10k?
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    JH1, nice going.. What sort of time are you hoping for at Windsor ?
  • Hail Hail

What a bank holiday that was! Normally it'd be getting some decent runs in, but today was my first "good" run for nearly a week! Leaving a bit late for my last long run before Edinburgh, I decided to give it some welly and managed 21M @ 6.35s. All bodes well for a 2.45 attempt, just need to drop 20secs per mile and hold it!! Not much to ask really eh!

Top result JH1. Aiming for sub35 now?

CRAB - that sounds like your normal Saturday night out.
  • CM, how close to SW London are you on 15/07? This is relating to cycling (20km), triathlon and prize money.
  • NM2

Thanx for the link. Seems a bit woolly and with no numbers to support it. Perhaps I need to buy the book for that!
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    CM

I did 2.15 at Windsor last year in the heat. Similar time and I'd be happy. My running is better but my swimming is more pants than last year so hope for a high 23min swim inc transition. Biking seems not too far off last year even though I've done very little. The running must have kept some bike strength. May go to Heron Lake on Saturday for a swim and ride the Windsor course after.
  • JH1 Did you fall over in the showjumping last night or bag the win and just hiding your light under Gary Bushell?

BTW JEJ Is assuming it's either a 2 mile swim or 2k from the water to get to T1 (picking up the lingo a bit aren't I?)@ Windsor ;o))
  • JH1 - I see you're also handy on a bike... Are you anywhere near Windsor by any chance? There's prizes up for grabs in the form of Tri & run vouchers - think it's £50 per person in the winning team - and the competition aren't so hot.

CRAB In conversation with my mum (and also chief nutritionist) yesterday, she had found details of a sponcored 1 mile sponcored swim (in a 33.3 yard pool) that I entered when I was (just turned) 14. I was first to finish in 18:48, raising £400+
  • JEJ Must have been downhill both ways that pool. Used to do a fair bit of swombling when I were a lad (when pools were uphill both ways) even travelled as far a field as Bristol once for a Gala or 'Meet' as I think they are now (but I gave up when I was about 10 or 11 as it clashed with football) don't think my mum gave me enough jammie toast 'cos that's about my 1k time now - just need to squeeze in an extra 24 lengths. Might have more to do with my dad being an Olympic Watcher rather than Competitor rather than my mum not being Delia Earl Smith and Jones on reflection. Mind you I was the youngest ever member of the club to swim a mile - just a well it was on a Bank Holiday Weekend if I recall. But as for filling PJ's with air and getting rubber bricks from the bottom I'd have you any day ;o)
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    Jej, JH1 is a much better bet, apart from being faster than me, he is also in the right country !
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Crab

Yes managed to stay up on my feet and pick up the final win and overall win.

10k time 35.51
    1mile time 5.05
    2.8mile off road hill run 16.56

Total time 57.52 and all 3 distances add up to 10mile total. It is only a small event run by a local running club so only 25 in it. You've gotta be in it to win it. Got a nice trophy and a bottle of bubbly which can stay in the fridge till after Windsor.

Jej

I live in Byfleet so only 40min cycle to Windsor. What race do you mean that there are Tri & Run vouchers. Surely not Windsor Olympic tri as the competition there is fairly hot. Came 42nd last year. Are you referring to Eton sprints?
  • JH1 - this is much bigger than any race you mention... (<--Checks to see if NJ is looking-->) It's the annual Unilever Fun & Vitality day, for which we hire out Dorney Lake & surroundings.

I'm looking for the final piece in a mixed triathlon relay team. As the swim is only ~400m, it makes sense to have the lady covering that, and one I work with used to swim at club level. I anticipate the main competitors in the mixed relay will have a 2 - 3 minute lead coming out of the water. The bike leg is 4 laps - so just over 20km - competitors have the work dentist who formally held the course record, but is now in his mid 40's and not as fit. My time last year including a shoe change was within 30 seconds of his without - at the time I was generally unfit & only in about 1:08 40km form on the bike, so I'm guessing you'd be a a fair bit quicker than that?

Their weakness is the dental hygeneist who will be their runner. She can only run about 23 minutes for the 5km, so I could pull back a massive chunk of time on the run. Even if we finished 2nd or 3rd, there are still prizes (£30 and £20 I think).

NJ from this forum will also have a team out, but there a bunch of panzies and will be in the all men's team race, so not in direct competition, but it would be nice to beat them too (although unlikely).

If that's not enough for you, I'm also entering a duathlon in the morning - it's a run bias 2.5km, 15km, 2.5km which suits me down to the ground. Again more prize money to be had, but you'll have to beat me :)

I'll probably swim a relay leg for another team, but haven't been in the water for several months and don't intend to before July.
  • Here's the link: http://humanrace.co.uk/unilever/

Meanwhile I've repaired my bike post being run over and on a nice cool morning decided to push hard on the way to work. I was a minute off my 'pb' for the 5.5M route, but traffic was quite bad. I'm finding my legs don't have the strength to push my heart & lungs. I'll try to get out every day and maybe a long cycle at the weekend, now that my long run isn't so long any more.
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    JEJ

I could well be up for that as nothing really on in Mid July. I can do the bike or the swim if required but as you say a lady on the short swim would be best. Do 21min 1500 at the mo.
  • Nobody else seems that bothered with training at present now that all the timebombs have exploded but as it's the 1st of the month and all that. Managed to Sergei another record month of 378miles. Funny that with April removed (too much tapering) the last 3 months have been 376, 377 and 378 in that order! Just a spooky coincidence not planned that way.

Not sure June is gonna follow suit though. Seem to have some kind of man flu that came from nowhere last night and wiped me out within an hour resulting in going to bed in a woolly jumper last night. Feeling a bit better now (obligatory Frenchman in cranium) but I feel the 2nd 'rest' day in 7 coming on - and I already had one planned (well enforced if I'm honest) for Saturday. Blimey at this rate I might do something silly like get rid of the pf ;o)

JEJ I could swim 400m or run 5k in 21minutes on a good day and I reckon I'm in 1:08shape for 25k on the bike too. What time do you want me there?
  • JH1 Would be great if you could make it - 'The Dentist' and his dream team which win every year need to be beaten! Let me know if you'd like to enter the 2.5/15/2.5km duathlon (vs me!) in the morning too - it's all free by the way. Men on bike & run makes the most sense - I'm continually pestering a girl sat next to me to do the swim - shouldn't be a problem given how easy it was to get her signed up for the London marathon next year.

CRAB- you're very welcome to come along to the event should you wish to compete against Unilever's finest athletes. Last year had as many guests as employees, one of whom was kind enough to elbow me in the nose moments before the swim kicked off, hence my 4:33 400m swim followed by a 4 minute transition.
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Nice one RB. I expect a disposable bbq set up in the park for me and 3 guests which should be just about done when I come in 1/2 hour after you!

Number 475. Bu**er Me- That's the lowest race number I've had since winning the Pontins egg and spoon race at the age of 8.

JEJ- Got 5k race on 19/7 . 18 mins should get 8th. Just speed work between edinburgh and then or stick couple of long runs in?
  • JH 1JH 1 ✭✭✭
    Jej

I hear you said free. Well that sounds good to me so I'm in. Duathlon as well please. Should be fired up by pm for the relay. 4.33 for 400. Sounds like you are a good swimmer as well as runner. What are the names of the Dentist and Co as I was on the site earlier looking at last years results.