ShropsSaddler
    Singing Angel
    Welsh Poppy-who better sort out flights and hotels etc

anyone else game!!!???!!!??
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    And me.

Flights booked.

Accommodation booked.

Just the question of a bit of training...
  • Good on you Beetle. I am training for Bristol 1/2 which is 2 weeks before and am hoping for a sub 2 time there. Maybe I will go sub 2 in Amsterdam aswell - it's flat enough!
  • Im considering it for my third consecutive year but will wait to see if a 3:15 is a possiblity. I cant really justify going just for a jolly as Ive been quite fortunate in my trips so far this year.
  • Prue - I've had DesBeans on the phone tonight asking about the accommodation. Shall we try and get it sorted at yours tomorrow, if we're not too sozzled?

Folks like that Beetle put us to shame!!
  • Ive rememered how we got Park hotel so cheap. £102 for twin room 2 nights

www.priceline.co.uk

I think I said £35 or maybe it was £40 per night for 3*** in museum quarter and with their cut and taxes came to £51 (doesnt include breakfast)

price line will try find you a hotel for your budget in the area you choose but you dont know the hotel till they tell you.
    Park was ideal for us.
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Finally back on-line! Good one juicer with accomm, lets hope it all comes back confirmed!
  • I've just signed up tonight for the marathon. I'm combining it with a half term trip with the kids. This is my third marathon. I enjoyed Loch ness in 2004 and struggled (after injury) at Lochaber 3 weeks ago. I'll settle for enjoying the experience.
  • running cazrunning caz ✭✭✭
    This will be my 3rd too SW. I did Dublin last Oct or was it Nov? and Taunton in April. Am going to train well for this one though and aim to beat my Dublin time (3:39)!! Fingers crossed :-/
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Suew - brill one more! what time are you aiming for?

Anyone got any suggestions on good training programs. I'm looking at one that starts off with about 4 runs a week. I'm gonna try for a 4 hour marathon? Was thinkin about following the one from runnersworld for the sub 4 hour? Any ideas or thoughts welcome...

updated: -

This years contingent :

Marathon:-

Prue
    Running caz
    Juicer
    Des
    Mudlark
    Slowcoach Bll
    Halo
    Nibbs
    notpete
    DG
    sueW

Half:-

HS and crew
    Tequila
    Mr T
    ShropsSaddler
    Singing Angel
    Welsh Poppy-who better sort out flights and hotels etc

anyone else game!!!???!!!??

• Moi
    for the marathon
    in clogs
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Now that i've got 2 C!! Sounds like good injury prevention! (not)
  • in clogs
    but on a bicycle...........
    ................still got to enter.....................?????? relax in a cafe / run, relax in a cafe / run, relax in a cafe.........................
  • Very Dutch!! Don't forget the Rollmops!
  • Wonder if the smell of those "special" cigarettes will have any effect?
  • Or the "special" calories in the "special" cakes, which we could use as energy bars?
    It's those 'special' cafe's I can sit outside and support at that has prevented my entry so far ;-)
  • oh well thats it ! looks like I have commited now as have just booked me flight :-) just got to sort out a race now
    :-) Did you opt for the same flights as the rest of us Nibbs or was that too much like being foolish? ;-)
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Anyone started training for this ?

I would like to (honestly) but my osteopath and Achilles say otherwise. It`s very frustrating. The race seems a long way off but we all know how quickly times passes.

Oh well. Better to be injured at this stage than 3 weeks before the race (as in London).
  • 148 days to go - not that I am counting! Flight, hotel and race all booked. Have developed "posterior shin splints" which are making things a bit painful at the moment. Any suggestions on good stretches?

Ps. Juicer - loved the energy bar idea!
  • I might be risking all and entering the mara very soon. My foot, although does not feel 100%, is bearing up to 3 runs per week, longest so far about 6 miles, and I have also started doing a bit of speedwork again.

Hope everyone's running is going well!!!
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Ultra Minnie - bloody injuries!!!! I hope your back to your old form soon, r u havin any treatment on it at the moment?
    P.s have you seen the west mids social thread, you'll have to come on the next one and we can all catch up.

Am gonna start training in a couple of weeks. My hip was playing up off n on, think it might have been the orthotics as they added new bits to them.

• Prue - I'm not having any treatment on my foot. I think I had a sress fracture but it wasn't confirmed by the x-ray I had, which is quite normal. I rested it completely from running for 2 months. Hopefully, the odd niggles I get are a natural reaction to starting to run again. I did see the WM Social thread a few weeks ago and yes I must make an effort to come to the next social - to be honest because I work in the city centre I get fed up of travelling there every day.

I hope your hip gets better. I've heard that orthotics can cause problems before they improve things.

It would be good to join you all for the marathon especially on foreign land! I particularly like marathon distance - sounds kinda sad doesn't it? Will this be your first marathon, Prue?
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭
    UM - Yep my first one and i'm scared, i think! I thought it was a good idea at the time of entering, but now realise all the training I've gotta do!! 5h1t
  • Prue - it is my first one too. How long have you been running?
  • Have now decided to get stuck into some training. Will be running the Stoke half in three weeks, but more for the distance than a time. Then try to aim for 30 miles a week from then on, building up to 50 in the heavy really long run weeks nearer the marathon. This will be my 8th marathon and so I think I know what to expect now and how hard or not to train.
  • Good luck with the training everyone-esp. if it's your first - it's going to be fun over the hot summer months - I think the treddie at the local gym might have to come to the rescue occassionally.

What kind of times are people aiming for in the marathon?
  • DG - this is my first marathon and I have only just started running so if I finish I will be happy! If I could get a sub-5, I would be delighted but considering I am really new, anytime between 5 and 5'30 would be fine.