Amsterdam - Marathon, Half n 10K

Comments

• Back from my 13.1 mile training run it all went to plan and had a fab race so easy peasy.Looks promising for next weekend:-)
    weather was perfect cool and clear and crisp

Well done on 10 miler ML

I am officially tapering:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP - you are obviously a stronger woman than me ! Well done on sticking to plan - it's obviously given you a a real boost for next weekend which is great -see we've all been telling you that you're ready - believe us now??!!!

My friend doing the full mara broke her 4 hours by the way- she did it in 3.56 - so thrilled to bits for her.

Mudlark - well done on your 10 miler - will you bringing your fisherman to Amsterdam then ??;-)

Sounds like a perfect day all round !Just hope we can say the same come this time next Sunday!
  • Mudlark - well done on completing your last "long" run. I noticed that the Blind Angling Championships were taking place this weekend;-)
  • DG

Did you get my email I sent in the week?

really pleased for friend superb I watch all the marathon runners come in wonder which one your friend was!

Yes coach wanted 1.50 but I could increase mileage after mile 12 which I did so finished in 1.48 a PB by a minute which was not expected and he is happy:-)

Yes DG i believe you I am ready for the marathon I am so happy about today:-)

lets hope as you say next sunday is a perfect day for us all:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP- a PB that's great -thrilled for you -a tiny bit naughty though- but it's obviously paid off !
    I did get your e-mail and replid yesterday or the day before - guess you didn't get mine?

Cheeky Spider - up to no good again!!
    Mudlark do you think we should sabotage his race next weekend ??
  • DG
    Coach allowed this and was chuffed to bits it went so well:-) I would have never one against what he wants of meas it is working big time for me;-)

No...i never got email
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DG - Fishermen to Amsterdam - is that a bit like coals to Newcastle? I'm thinking perhaps I've got enough to pack.

I'm usually kind to spiders - the eight legged variety do a useful job. However, I could make an exception for the two legged variety! I'm sure they have their uses too ............ give me a minute and I'll think of one ...........................

<couple of hours later> ...... still thinking ..

• Well done WP on your PB for the half.
  • I leave early tomorrow morning for Benelux business trip so probably won't be on here again after today. Enjoy the taper and have a safe trip to Amsterdam.

Looking forward to meeting you at the restaurant 7 pm Saturday. By the way, table is booked in the name of 'Cameron'. This week will fly!

I decided to take it pretty easy this weekend as I've so many marathons coming up! Got my confirmation from Marine Corps so it's all happening! A steady run is required in Amsterdam. I'll be wearing white top with Union Jack / 'Paul' on front and back so easy to spot!
  • Thanks to all for the advice - ran 8.5 miles yesterday.....felt rough as hell!!!

will try another couple of short runs before the weekend.....am going to give it a whirl on sunday.....good luck to all
  • Well done Clive...good for you. You'll know on the day if you feel up for it but you might as well go and have a good weekend anyway!!
  • Thanks......everything is already paid for.......worst case scenario is I get to see a few miles of Amsterdam.....now....where did I put those Lemsip???
  • I tell you what Clive, with the number of us who have colds, we'll be leaving a great trail behind us as we run :-)
  • I've got a pretty bad cold too !

Any hints other than vitamin c and tea with echinacea ?

I've been trying these for 2 weeks now !

At least the weather forecast for Sunday looks very good for marathon running

Good luck to all on Sunday

Scott
  • Only other hint Scott is to perfect your "clearance technique"!!
  • Fantastic Poppy - well done!

Scott - try inhaling menthol, you can get gollop from chemist, add to steaming hot bowl of water, cover head with towel and off you go! Hope it clears, Mr T is just recovering too.

• "Clearance technique" - what a great way to refer to snot and gore and stuff !

Thanks for your help guys
  • Mudlark - "I'm usually kind to spiders - the eight legged variety do a useful job. However, I could make an exception for the two legged variety! I'm sure they have their uses too ............ give me a minute and I'll think of one ...........................

<couple of hours later> ...... still thinking .."

Hmmm.... I see what you mean, can't think of anything myself:-(

Juicer - you got any ideas?
  • Scott have you tried Olbas Oil for inhaling?
  • Or, a personal favourite of mine, a whisky and hot water before going to sleep. I may have mentioned this before.

Doesn't look like Juicer can think of anything either ERakaCS.......... but don't worry - we'll come up with something by Saturday, I'm sure.
  • Mudlark, I'm afraid you'll only be disappointed too.....

........ my lawn is still a foot long!!!!
  • There ya go .......... actually my lawn needs cutting too. Could have done it this afternoon, but it was cut the grass ...... take the dog out ....... grass.....dog .......... The dog won. And the car needs washing & polishing. There's the ironing. Cleaning the windows .......
  • Well you never know, maybe if you ask nicely......

I've tried all sorts of tactics though, and my lawn's still a jungle!!
  • Oh, meant to come on here and be serious!!

Have just booked car park. £25.50 for whole weekend between 5 of us. That's alright innit?

Arrive at mine 5am. Yawn.....! And they say the night before the night before is the most important. Shall have to go to bed at 6pm!!
  • Just had another duffish run! Chest really not brilliant and breathing all over the place. I know it's that virus that all us BEANIES have had :-(

Well at least we'll all know why if we're all disappointed with our times.

What is me that started this cold? Will I be to blame?
  • probably like teaching your grandmother to suck eggs but....
    either wear or carry your race shoes in hand luggage in case your checked-in bags gets lost. easy to replace top and shorts but not shoes.
  • RJKRJK ✭✭✭
    musketeer, I wouldn't have thought of that, last year the shoes were in the checked-in bag.

Ta for the advice!

Is it too early to start doing the weather forecasts yet? I'm sooooo excited.

Ok, so my training was a disaster and my last "long" run was mismeasured so I never got close to the proper mileage, but I don't care: its too late now and I'm going anyway!!
  • Any one else registerd with the pacing groups? Just received an email from them- it has something about times, but as it is Dutch so cannot read it!!

Beste hardloper,

Uiteraard begint de halve marathon om 14:30 uur en niet om 14:00. Het verzamelen voor de halve marathon is tussen 13:30 en 13:45 uur. Onze excuses voor de verwarring.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Runner's World
  • I can speak Afrikaans (South African language which is derived from Dutch). And my surname is Van Huyssteen (which is Dutch - from my husband's side)!
    It says something like :

Dear Runner,

The 1/2 marathon begins at 14:30 and not 14:00. The gathering/meeting for the 1/2 marathon is between 13:30 and 13:45. Our apologies for the misinformation (?).

Friendly greetings