Amsterdam - Marathon, Half n 10K

Comments

• caz - I wish my running was as good as your 'pitiful'.

Good luck everyone, and safe journeys.
  • Barbara

Will send you an email hoping too see you whilst out there;-)

thanks for crossing everything(I need all the luck I can lay my hands on) hope you have a great race as well

Last run done 6 miles easy okay what is done is done just the small matter of flying and the race then back on here on Monday;-)

Just incase I dont get chance later have a great time out there travel safetly andthe best of luck to everyone may you all have great races.

hoping to see some of you in the bar after race if I can find it:-(

GO RACERS GO

I am flying in the morning
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Last 5m last night (in the rain which was surprisingly refreshing) so that's all done now.
    Just the small matter of packing and getting up at 3am on Saturday to get to the airport.

Good luck everyone and enjoy the weekend.
  • WP - I emailed you yesterday - you'll probably get it next week !!

Just enjoying my pasta and chicken salad - and looking foward to some rice pud this afternoon- has anyone else tried those little Muller rice puds - warmed in the microwave they're actually really nice - plus low in fat and great for carbs!
    Hope carbo loading is going well for all the full marathoners!

Have a fab weekend everyone and a great race ( even Cheeky Spider!) - sounds like the weather is in our favour - bring it on !!
  • Best of luck to everyone, hope to meet one or two of you.

WP you will do great.

• Good luck everyone - and WP, you may not see me in the crowds but I'll be there cheering you on.
  • Best of luck everyone - look forward to hearing your stories when you come back. Have a drink for me!
  • My turn to say my "good luck's" to everybody. Hope you all get the times you want and enjoy the atmosphere, particularly all the first time marathoners.

HAPPY RUNNING everyone!!! :-)
  • Good luck to you all

Hoping to do this one next year, so I'll be looking for reports with interest.

Enjoy :0)
  • Just in case we forget !

Marathon:

Big Tim
    Capricorn (aim 3:59:59) 8091 (best western museum hotel)
    Charlie Chaplin (Hotel Groenhof sat-tues)
    Des (hotel asterisk)
    DG(3.30 - what the heck!!)NO: 7276 Friday-Monday Hem Hotel
    Halo(3.30 ??)
    Juicer (hotel asterisk) <4.10 for pb. Sub 4 would be ACE!!
    Les Cargo (aim 3.29... or thereabouts!)
    Mudlark (hotel asterisk) <5.00
    Nigel (Hotel Van Onna, Jordaan) <4.30 Thur/Tue No 4109
    notpete (<3.15, Mon/Fri, hostel on Vondelpark)
    Prue (hotel asterisk) <4.10 anything less is a bonus..!
    Pseudo - Cordial Hotel (Fri / Sat)
    Running caz (hotel asterisk) <3.45?
    Sad Runner
    Sean Gregg (sub 3.45)
    Scott (aim 3:20)
    Slowcoach Bll-The Quentin England fri/mon area sub 6 hours.No 7022
    sueW - staying with the family in Vondel Park youth hostel - aiming for aroind 4.14. I've emailed the runners world NL pacers to ask if I can join them.
    RJK (aim : 4:59:59, still a pb)
    Welsh Poppy-Smit hotel FRi-Mon sub 4hours:-)

Half:-

Barbara
    HS Friday- Monday -Hem Hotel
    CC Friday- Monday -Hem Hotel- 1.55
    Colin Friday- Monday -Hem Hotel
    LynneW
    Mr T - with Tequila
    Multi
    Musketeer Hotel de Paris, Sat-tues 1.55!!
    Evil Rich (hotel asterisk) 1.25-1.27
    Running Angel - sub 2.00? Staying with friends
    Running Angel's OH - hopefully somewhere behind her seeing as he hasn't trained!
    Swerve - sub-1:45
    Tequila - Hotel Groenhof Th-Mo
    Jane M- race number is 11841.
    The Bobolink and Mrs Bobolink ( going to Pasta party)

Post run drinkies in the Tara (on Rokin, near Dam sq) (+ eta)

Pseudo (3.15 pm)
    Welsh Poppy (4pm)
    Juicer 5ish
    Prue 5ish
    Running Caz 5ish
    Evil Rich 5ish
    Mudlark 5ish
    Nibbs 5ish
    Des maybe as flying back
    Mark 5ish
    DG
    CC
    HS
    Colin
    Slow coach Bill-5.30
    Sue - a possibility but I'd have the family with me.
    notpete - 4-5ish
    Nigel- 4-5ish

Eats the night before - 7 pm - SETTE BELLO, 89 Leidsewarsstraat

Pseudo
    Welsh Poppy(Maybe)
    Juicer
    Prue
    Running Caz
    Evil Rich
    Mudlark
    Nibbs
    Des
    Mark
    DG
    CC
    HS
    Colin
    notpete
    Nigel
  • oh yes.... and me too

Marathon:

Big Tim
    Capricorn (aim 3:59:59) 8091 (best western museum hotel)
    Charlie Chaplin (Hotel Groenhof sat-tues)
    Des (hotel asterisk)
    DG(3.30 - what the heck!!)NO: 7276 Friday-Monday Hem Hotel
    Halo(3.30 ??)
    Juicer (hotel asterisk) <4.10 for pb. Sub 4 would be ACE!!
    Les Cargo (aim 3.29... or thereabouts!)
    Mudlark (hotel asterisk) <5.00
    Nigel (Hotel Van Onna, Jordaan) <4.30 Thur/Tue No 4109
    notpete (<3.15, Mon/Fri, hostel on Vondelpark)
    Prue (hotel asterisk) <4.10 anything less is a bonus..!
    Pseudo - Cordial Hotel (Fri / Sat)
    Running caz (hotel asterisk) <3.45?
    Sad Runner
    Sean Gregg (sub 3.45)
    Scott (aim 3:20)
    Slowcoach Bll-The Quentin England fri/mon area sub 6 hours.No 7022
    sueW - staying with the family in Vondel Park youth hostel - aiming for aroind 4.14. I've emailed the runners world NL pacers to ask if I can join them.
    Twin Dad - <3.27 if I don't get my families lurgy before sunday
    RJK (aim : 4:59:59, still a pb)
    Welsh Poppy-Smit hotel FRi-Mon sub 4hours:-)

Half:-

Barbara
    HS Friday- Monday -Hem Hotel
    CC Friday- Monday -Hem Hotel- 1.55
    Colin Friday- Monday -Hem Hotel
    LynneW
    Mr T - with Tequila
    Multi
    Musketeer Hotel de Paris, Sat-tues 1.55!!
    Evil Rich (hotel asterisk) 1.25-1.27
    Running Angel - sub 2.00? Staying with friends
    Running Angel's OH - hopefully somewhere behind her seeing as he hasn't trained!
    Swerve - sub-1:45
    Tequila - Hotel Groenhof Th-Mo
    Jane M- race number is 11841.
    The Bobolink and Mrs Bobolink ( going to Pasta party)

Post run drinkies in the Tara (on Rokin, near Dam sq) (+ eta)

Pseudo (3.15 pm)
    Welsh Poppy (4pm)
    Juicer 5ish
    Prue 5ish
    Running Caz 5ish
    Evil Rich 5ish
    Mudlark 5ish
    Nibbs 5ish
    Des maybe as flying back
    Mark 5ish
    DG
    CC
    HS
    Colin
    Slow coach Bill-5.30
    Sue - a possibility but I'd have the family with me.
    notpete - 4-5ish
    Nigel- 4-5ish

Eats the night before - 7 pm - SETTE BELLO, 89 Leidsewarsstraat

Pseudo
    Welsh Poppy(Maybe)
    Juicer
    Prue
    Running Caz
    Evil Rich
    Mudlark
    Nibbs
    Des
    Mark
    DG
    CC
    HS
    Colin
    notpete
    Nigel

• Blast from the past!!! How are you twin dad? you kept this one under wraps!!
  • I've been lurking - in the nicest possible way

the web site was blocked at work which largely stopped me posting (not enough time at home)

what flight are you all on tomorrow morning
    we are on the 6.55 BMIbaby
  • See you at the airport then :-) Us too :-)
  • I am flying at 7.05am tomorrow on BMIBABY from East Midlands, at least I think thats when it goes.
    Twin dad wheres your flight going from?
  • Our flight goes from birmingham

see some of you in the morning then.... good luck to everyone else
  • All the best everyone and I think you should all be in bed now:)
  • RJKRJK ✭✭✭
    I'm in Amsterdam relaxing now! Good luck to everybody, this will be a great day.

xxxx
    Rich.
  • Am green green with envy. Good luck Rich. xxx
  • Hi folks.

Lovely warm weather in Amsterdam, by 2.30pm when we started the half marathon the sun was shining brightly but there was a slight breeze thank goodness. Had a good race although I did find it congested at times and finished in 2.08. Great weekend.

How did everyone else do?
  • 4:29:44 for the marathon

I think I should apologise to all those who advised me not to run if feeling unwell....you were right....had a horrendous time....threw up three times between 20 and 30km......and really struggled......nothing in my legs at all.....

nice place....shame about the lack of support....and the cramped exit from the stadium which meant walking pace at times.....and the two drunks wandering on the road at 34km who took me out....other than that a great race.....but I never want to see another lemon Gatorade as long as I live!!!!!!
  • RJKRJK ✭✭✭
    I'm writing this as an archive message, so I can read it next year and remind myself that RUNNING MARATHONS IS STUPID!

Everything went fine until after the Amstel (thought that would be the worst bit, but the sun was gorgeous and the crowd support was suprisingly lively.

But then, predictably, the wheels dropped off at about 16 miles and the next 10 were the most atrocious grind. I hadn't trained enough, for sure.

Its a great event though. Only whine is that the new route through the town is rubbish; it cuts across the arse end of the centre and there was hardly anyone there. Last year we ran closer to the centre and threre was a great vibe.

Best bit - those lovely people who lined the streets along the north east section (forgot the name of it) - the children were handing out biscuits and drinks. I'll never forget that.

Hope it went well for you all.
  • RJK - the way my body is feeling this morning, I agree with you....it is stupid....hasn't stopped me applying for FLM2006 though.....

I agree with you about the crown support.....the people who turned out were generally very supportive....just a shame that on many parts of the course there were none to be seen.....I remember it being six people deep during parts of FLM2005....

am back in Amsterdam in a couple of weeks, so hopefully will see some more of the sights this time!!!

• The state of some of the folk last night on the plane back served to re-enforce my thoughts that marathons are for nutters!!

I'll stick with halves!!
  • Good to meet so many of you at the meal on Sat night - thought it was canny. Hope you enjoyed the night out in Amsterdam last night - I was in the Tara until 5ish when I had to leave for my flight - good of Rich to pop down and keep me company!

Good day for it. Shame the support wasn't the best, but I'd expected that to be honest. Also would be better if the route did go closer to the city centre - perhaps they will consider that once all the digging has finished! I did enjoy the lap of the stadium at 7 km (certainly a lot more than at 42 km - I was feeling pretty rough!)

Sorry to hear about your race Clive.

I struggled 'round in 3.18 - a pretty bad 1.34 - 1.44 positive split. Impressive slowing every 5 km - as seen on the website results graph! Legs felt similar to Berlin - pretty heavy all the way but especially tough from 30 km. Just not very fit at the mo but pleased to get 'round ok. Felt thirsty for a lot of the race - classic sign of dehydration - they could have done with some extra water stations, especially since the gatorade came in about 10 ml portions!

Legs a little stiff today but they have been a lot worse after other marathons. Ah well, only 2 weeks 'til the next one. Marine Corps in Washington...
  • what plane were you on multi ?

3hrs 24 mins 8 secs

excuses
    HR a bit up due to slowly catching the lurgy
    right hamstring hurting more and more as the route went on.....if it had been a left leg hopping race , I'd have been in with a shot, but my right leg was having none of it

Training had gone well ish but I was aware that I had a bit of a right hamstring issue, thought it probably be OK though
    Race time predicters had me at about 3.18, so I had a dream of 3.15 which I was fairly sure I couldn't do and a figure of 3.27 (previous pb) which I felt I ought to beat. So all in all I am very happy with 3.24 given the circumstances. I certainly didn't feel that I could have done better on the day
    I liked the stadium start and finish and the run through after about 6km, and the rest of the course was pretty flat. I thought the river bit was going to go on forever though

I agree with some others about Marathons - I've done 4 now and London 2006 will be my last
  • The half was a bit of a disaster for me I'm afraid. Going good up to 20k then managed to trip on an uneven bit of pavement, went flat on my face and cracked my head open on the tram line. So I now have 5 stitches and a lovely black eye and no medal cause the red cross people wouldnt let me carry on. Gutted was on for a pb too!
  • Sorry to hear that Running Angel - gutting! Know where you're coming from - I tripped and fell at 25 miles in the Edinburgh marathon, but at least I finished and got my medal.