Amsterdam - Marathon, Half n 10K

Comments

• Ah well sounds like you all had not bad times and enjoyed the trip.

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Sorry to hear about that, RA. For what it's worth, Paula has had her fair share of facial/cranial injuries whilst training so you're in good company. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • RA

crossed post would hate for you to think i was unsensitive

I am so sorry hope you feel better soon.I too know where you are coming from in my 1st marathon fell at mile 4 ended up blood splatter knees damaged head grazed etc but I did manage to finish and get medal.

puts everything else in perspective hope you are able to find some positives it was just a freak accident !!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • RA sorry to hear about your accident, those tram rails were certainly a bit of a hazard at times.

WP how did you get on?
  • Brilliant !

Had a great time and ran a 10 minute PB - 3:12:49

Legs sore now though !!
  • Congrats to those who did well and sorry to those who got injuries.

WP - cmon - how did you go? (or did you post somewhere and I missed it?)
  • Have been looking forward to gettting on here and seeing how you all got on! Sorry to hear about the mishaps, and quite relieved to hear that everyone seems to think it was kinda tough.

Great to meet many of you on Saturday night for the pasta and pizza - cheers Pseudo for organising that :-)

Well I can't count how many times I've said 'never again' in the last 30 hours or so. God I forgot how demoralising and painful this marathon running malarky is! Me and Prue set out to try for the 4hour mark, but really we went out too quick. We were on target at 5k and 10k, about 20 seconds behind at 15k, 1.5 minutes at half way and from there it just went pearshaped. We just got slower and slower. The final straw came when the 4.15 pacer with the orange balloon came past us at around 36km. I decided then that I would hang onto him for dear life, and that if I could salvage anything from the race it would be a pb (previous 4.19). I managed to stick with him, and cross the line in 4.15.28. A new PB but still a tad disappointing!

Felt completely overwhelmed by the whole thing at the finish line and just sat on the grass blubbing and crying!!!

And yes, that river went on for ever!!

• Sorry

Sadly it never went well lots of factors missing shorts,being sick all saturday night,tram not turning up and not getting to stadium until 5 mins to start of race stuck at back could not get in my pen all going well till half way running on empty dispite eating 6 gels ankle in pain and calf seizing up last 12 k was run on sheer willpower felt so sick on the last 200 metres finished in 4.13 and find that new shorts bought had a long label on it and find it has cut left me with 6" cut no wonder it felt sore and blood on shorts.

Jane -how did you do?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Juicer well done on finishing you did well a PB is a PB no matter what.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Oh WP I could have told you about the trams not operating on the day of the race, I honestly forgot all about it.

We were stuck in the centre of Amsterdam on Saturday afternoon and all the trams stopped for some reason around 5pm and we spent ages looking for a taxi to get us back to the hotel.

I had a fairly good race and got my first negative split, wasn't really there for a PB as the trip and the race weren't planned for, but it was my second fastest half.

Sorry you are disappointed about your time and the whole experience but marathons and all races are learning experiences and sometimes it may take a few goes at each distance before you get it right and then everything falls into place and you have a great race. So don't give up on your dream of a sub 4, its just been delayed a year. Whats next?

• Congratulations to everyone who got what they wanted and there is always another race for those who didn't and especially those who fell foul of Amsterdam.

Its an achievement just to make it to a start line of a marathon never mind finish it and gain a PB.

Personally, got a 3:26:42 and PB by over 8 minutes. The last 8k or so were an absolute killer. Could hardly walk after the finish line but the post race massage and a bit of food/drink did wonders. Legs feel pretty good today all things considered.
  • Well I finished in 4 hours 12 mins 4 secs, 9 minutes worse than my best, and of course failed to beat my target of 4 hours.
    To be honest I knew in the first 15kms that I was going to struggle in the second half. Got through half way in 1.59, and still within the target at 25km, but I then ran each succesive 5km 1 and half minutes slower than the last.
    Teach me not to do enough training. Started too late because of holidays, and did not do enough long runs, longest I did was 18 miles.
    Well there's always London if I get in. Entries close Friday, so cheque should be banked by the end of the month if sucessful.
  • ....and we're back in Brum :-(

An absolutely CRACKING weekend (bar 4:01 hours of it that is!!). Amsterdam a wonderful place in all manner of ways and a weekend that was a laugh from start to finish!! Lush food, great wine and cider and late night laughs :-)

As for the mara, it all went a bit wrong for me really!!! Felt poor from the start and pretty bad as early as 20k!?!?!?! Managed to pick up pace a bit from there to 30k as I just wanted to get it over and done with and the end seemed soooo far away, but to get from 30 to 35 was a mental struggle and for some reason my legs felt knackered in a way they had never felt before. Had to stop for the toilet at 35.5k and just couldn't get back into it and stopped my watch (3:12). Then it was a walk run to 40k and from there to 41 was a walk. Managed somehow to pick it up to a decent run into and around the stadium to finish line (medal thoughts kicked in perhaps ;-).

Finished 4:01 and was disappointed considering my training run times but it just wasn't for me on the day. Doh!! The night before and the night to follow defo made up for it though :-) :-)

Well done to everyone else and sorry to hear your story Running Angel.

Defo no more maras for me after FLM2006!!
  • WP and Caz - sorry to hear your times weren't what you were hoping for considering all your training. However do hope you are patting yourselves on the back for doing as well as you did.
  • I have to say that run was S*** ! it was way to crowded and the idiots who started right at the front who took 10 and 11 SECONDS to cross the start line actualy came in last and last but one !! not to mention all the others who had put up a human road block only to be followed by the sweeper uppers at the end .( rant over )
    I had not trained for this and had had lots of cramp probs prior to this so it was always going to be touch and go if I would be doing this but I am soooo glad I did as we had an absolutly brill weekend , we flew in on sat morn and registered easy enough , then we all met up for the meal which I had to say was top shelf food (thanks to whoever recomended that place ) then we drifted slightly off the strait and narrow and ended getting a little rat faced :-$ but what a great night out , woke in the morning a little worse for ware but after a lot of soul searching (guilt )decided to go do it ! (half that is ) . we had great night last night there and flew home this evening .
    well done to all those marathon runners as I had had enough by the end of the half and wild horses couldn't have dragged me around another half distance, well done to evil rich on a brill time ( you'r now on a pedestal mate )
  • Hiya - thanks to all who I was with this weekend for a great time [excluding 3 hours on Sunday afternoon - but that wasn't your fault!].

As it was my first mara, it was a pb - but was a disappointing 5.18. Maybe getting up at 4am the day before, then walking round all day [or so it felt] wasn't the best preparation? Had hoped for sub-5 at least, 4.45 at best. I obviously started out too fast and lost it half way. I did think that the support was great, Amsterdam is a wonderful city [and will be even better when they finish it!], and I wish I could ride a bike as well as they can - the cyclists all managed to miss me despite my best efforts.

At the time, I thought first and last mara but now I'm thinking that if I practice through a couple more with luck and the will of the gods, I might get a decent time ............................

Well done to everyone who finished, and commiserations to those who had unfortunate mishaps. At least I finished in one piece. More or less.

<hmmm perhaps the next one should have a couple of hills in it ...................>

• PS Good to meet Pseudo [who was almost landed with the bill as he booked the table], NFTB, CC and the others on Saturday night. :)

• PruePrue ✭✭✭

.......!!!!!Well Done!!!!.........

Finally didn it, after all that training and hard work.... Am soooo looking forward to the rest!

My 1st marathon and i got 4hr 19. As juicer said we definalty went out far too fast, being at 21k at 2.01. Then it all went down hill from there... Think my real time should have been about 4.14 if i'd have taken the amount of time i spent running into bushes for the loo..!!

The music/drumming at the begining and the end was Fab and it really helped me to pick up my pace at the last 1K

Hopefuly these legs/hip will start to easy up... as they've never felt this bad :-(

Hope all your injuries and tired legs heal quickly.. it was great to meet a few of you on Sat night... Enjoyed the weekend loads...And will go again and ENJOY the delights of Amsterdam without having to run a marathon the next day.!!!!!

• Well done everyone, sorry to those folk who did not have such a good time of it.
    Firslty - WP - my phone was on all day Friday and Sat. Mt T had his ophoen on all day Sat. too, but didn't get your msg until at airport yesterday - so sorry. Realy hoped to have seen you.
    We walked the 45 mins to start - took over hour to get back!
    Due to lack of training half was flippin hard and we both suffered. Mr T's toes were awfully bad, so he had to walk some. Fiound route very boring thru industrial areas, other than that wasn't too bad, support was good where it was.
    We ate in Setta Bella and was sat next to you lot!! Didn't join you as weren't sure how many of you would turn up. ANyway was good to meet couple of you. As always we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in AMS, might do Prague half next year.
    Hope you all make speeedy recoveries and good luck with future races etc.
  • Only got back late last night. Ran a 3.35.10 which is a PB for me by some 12 mins, only the second time of going under 4 hours in 8 marathons. However still not satisfied felt I was on for 3.20 at one point, went through half in 1.34.20. Slowed a little in second half then got to 41Km and walked the last drink station. Mistake!! When I satrted to run again I had serious cramp in that I fell on back on road. A Dutch policeman came and gave me the hold leg up and stretch treatment. If I had been a footballer playing football at that point I would have been subbed. However managed to get up and run (slowly) to finish. But estimate that cost me 10 mins of time. Still must be a lot fitter as managed 10 pints in post race evening celebrations.
  • Sounds like mixed fortunes all round, but well done everyone.

I had a brilliant run - 355:30 which was under my goal of 3:59:59 and a pb by 11 minutes so I'm really pleased. Luckily the 3am start on Saturday and walking Amsterdam flat all day didn't do too much harm!

I thought it was great race, not too crowded, trams lines a bit hazardous, but most enjoyable overall. Perfect weather too.
    About the trams on Sunday - we got so many conflicting stories about transport on Sunday - someone told us that only the metro was running, then we heard the trams only ran till 10 a.m., then only till 11 a.m, then only some trams.
    In the end the hotel manager pointed us in the direction of a tram (#16)that was supposed to be running and luckily it was.
  • I got a #16 tram from right outside my hotel on Rokin to the start and back again absolutely no problem. Sorry to hear other folk had difficulties.

Shame you didn't come and join us for the meal Tequila! Good to meet so many of you there. How was the night out after the race?
  • HI Pseudo - glad you had a great night - as for our own night out after race, we were shattered, but had lovely meal with parents in Marriott. They were in the posh accomodation!!! No way could we manage to walk into Leidsplein, were on borrowed time after 2 mile walk back to hotel after race!!
  • I see that the photos for the marathon and half are on the following website:

www.marathon-photos.com if anyone is interested, sorry can't do links.
  • My Forerunner 201 clocked 13.5 for the half. It did suffer from a weak GPS signal a couple of times, but I would have thought that would result in the distance being too short, rather than long. I might have run wide a couple of times, but I cannot imagine it would have made that amount of difference. Did anyone else record the distance?
  • Thanks Jane. I look rough!

FB - I recorded 26.8 miles for the marathon! When it got to 26.2 I really wanted to stop!!!
  • I recorded 26.8 too on my Garmin. As you say, I'd have thought a weak signal would have made it less that the actual distance!!
  • Well done to all.

Great weekend.

I faded badly in the closing miles, but still got pretty much the time i wanted, so no complaints. The windmills out on the river were very pretty.

75.36 to half way, 2h35m56 at the finish. 36th place.

Sorry not to meet you all. I managed a bit of relaxed sightseeing yesterday morning, but felt pretty busy the rest of the time. Beautiful city.
  • Hi All ,i managed to get around in 4.53 mins,like most of you I,started suffering after 25klm with cramp in calfs & groins.
    Had a good night at the Taras bar afterwards ,sorry that so many were unable to make it,hope you all recover quickly from injuries etc.

• Apologies for the bad form, but I'll just re-post a report I posted elsewhere on my half mara. Well done everyone on some stunning performances and on some, er, stunned ones too.....

------

Excellent race, I thought, and a fascinating city. Not sure about the reasoning involved in lining up by race number rather than expected finish time, but it did have the happy side effect of keeping my mind on dodging round people (and trees, bikes, kerbs, tramlines etc) rather than on the pain . I was aiming for 1:45, a hint conservative pace-wise to allow for the inadequate training miles. I kept it on schedule, pushing on from 10 to 12K, paying for it between 12 and 15, but had the legs to hold on and nibble away a half-minute cushion for myself which I didn't need - PB! Hup Swerve!

Oh, and most importantly of all, I kicked Mrs Swerve's arse (figuratively)!

I thought the course was generally good, congestion apart, and though it was very sparse in places, the support in the north-eastern section in particular was good. I would add a big mention for the Vondelpark too - lots of spectators (nothing in London terms, but that would scare me), and a nice boost from all the greenery (there's something just nice about running in a park). After that, I remembered seeing the great Haile earlier on the big screen and in the stadium (what a privilege!) on his final run-in, and thought Ethiopian thoughts, so the last couple of K were fine too. And passing the stragglers in the marathon was a nice reminder of how glad I was to be doing the half.

Thoroughly recommended.