Amsterdam - Marathon, Half n 10K

1333435363739»

Comments

• Was it just me or did anyone else think it was a bit odd that so many people ran in their new orange Mizuno Marathon T-Shirt given that you are normally advised to wear and wash your race kit at least 3 times prior to your "proper" run?
    Surely, most people wouldn't have had time or chance to wash it at least once.

• Hey, loosen up Sean, I wore my shirt straight out of the bag, without noticing any problems. It's man-made fibre (100% polyester) so there's no starch or treatment which would affect the feel or stiffness of the shirt.

Anyway, good race.
  • Thank you for the kind wishes Jane. You did very well especially such a short time after Loch ness.

Sue
  • Mudlark - sounds like you're tempted too :-)

Majorca marathon mentioned above <<???>>

What d'ya think?
  • Hi Mudlark

this is Prue, well just looked upflights to Majorca and they are £64 frm sat - Tue... R U tempted.....?

Surely this is only slightly more than travelling within the U.K.......?
  • The only alternative would seem to be Luton on the 4th December.

Or Snowdonia, eek!!
  • Prue/Juicer/SC Bill: Good luck with the upcoming marathons, if you go for them. Definitely seems worthwhile tacking them onto the end of an existing training base, if you can. I was tempted to do so, too - I really don't feel as if I've run a marathon, and figured I could run another sometime soon. Post Amsterdam, the motivation is certainly there, but common sense says I should be a little more patient.

CC: Still grinning, yes. Very fidgety too; having to fight urge to get out there racing again too soon. Decided fight urge and just live like a monk for 6 months with intent of a sub-3 at some point.

DG: London next year for me. Ordered Advanced Marathoning on your recommendation - sure one of the schedules should suit me. But still going to be giving ice baths a very wide berth for a long, long time. Most definitely no fun.
  • Completed Amsterdam marathon... Next one is Benidorm at end of November but wish I had chosen Majorca instead as Benidorm is only 5 weeks away this weekend! I have a feeling that this might be my last marathon (if I don't get in London) as my legs killed after 20 miles (completed Blackpool in June and can't remember them hurting as much). Would like to thank Mick The Runner for a brilliant trip away.
  • Donna MG, have you seen the photo's of the trip on www.racephotos.topcities.com I agree Donna, brilliant trip Mick.
  • Hmmm, might be persuaded into Luton!?!?! Oh how the tide is turning with me now!!! :-/
  • I believe if you have had a bad marathon (world expert) once recovered from the emotional trauma you cant wait to get back at one again and put the demons to rest.

So good luck to all doing Luton......but 3 laps!!!

Well done to everyone you are all heroes for putting ypourself on the start line and giving it all you had.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ha ha Caz!! This does indeed seem to be the most catching form of insanity.
  • Hi All,

Amsterdam was my first marathon. It was a bit slower than I had hoped (seems like I'm not alone on that one though!) partly due to a mild chest infection which I really thought was going to put paid to the whole thing. I did 5:15 and was aiming for sub-5, but heh there's always next time. And yes that river did go on for ever!

Legs felt like lead for 48 hours after, but more or less back to normal now.

Can't wait to do my next one though and get that sub-5. Have applied for London, we shall see.

Well done to everyone who finished.
  • Juicer - sorry haven't got around to forwarding schedule to you yet - will do tonight.

Wow Slow-coach bill that's enthusiam! - I've never been to Majorca - but from what I've heard it's beautiful - do you know how hilly /flat the course is?

Not Pete - glad your legs have recovered so quickly - mine too -makes me wonder if I didn't give it all I should have on the day - but it was probably the free massage after - did anyone else have one?
    Hope the advanced marathoning book helps - I'm going to follow one of the up to 70 miles/week schedules from it beginning mid December - the most I've done to date is 55 miles/week.At the momment I'm having a couple of weeks off - - but can't wait to get out there again!
  • Hey Jill, seems we have something in common! Good luck getting into London!

Juicer/Prue - you didn't notice the slight sarcasm/jokiness of that posting then?

I did look at Luton but decided that 3 laps would just be ......... nasty and demoralising. And I think there's a time limit on it. So I'll be in the Lakes that weekend - I'll think about you! Might have been tempted by Majorca ......... maybe. But would have to check it out first.

Will probably do something next year .....
  • Thanks Mudlark - not very hopeful to be honest but will do something next year. Maybe Edinburgh if London doesn't come off...?
  • Hi DG all details can be found on www.runningcrazy.co.uk website,all i know about it that it is a 2 lap course.
    I have been to Majorca many times on hols mainly to Alcudia great place.
  • http://www.racephotos.topcities.com/index.htm

photos from amsterdam on this page if anyone sees themselves let us know
  • Hi all

Sorry its taken so long to report back but I have been having internet problems.

I had a great race finishing in 3.58.07, a PB by 43 minutes! My only complaint was there didn't seem to be enough drink stations, I try to drink every two miles normally.

Nevertheless, a great race in a great city. Sorry I couldn't meet up with anybody but was with non-running friends and thought they had enough running stuff for one weekend.

Well done to those who achieved their goals and keep trying to those who didn't, eventually all will come right, I'm proof of that.

CC.
  • Hello CC

What a brilliant achievement by knocking 43 mins off your time.. how did you do it??? tips please..
    webrunner - no photos of me on there, me thinks just as well as don't want to be reminded of how much of a wreck I looked after Sunday night (I hid out the way of the cheese and stroked the donkeys instead)...
    Wish we could go back a week and do it all again.

Donna
  • must have some photos of you on my cd from the night out will send you a copy next week will also sent you some info of the reims trip for your club
  • bonjour runners,
    A big thanks to all the giants I shadowed to avoid the little blasts of wind..........you really make the best windbreakers..........
    Charlie Chaplin - super duper effort losing 43 mins from your last marathon. I, however thought there were plenty of water stations and many lovely cloggies also having home made stations outside their houses along the route too, was very cheering!
    I really enjoyed the run and cant wait to get cracking with the next one!
    I walked from the stadium back to Joordan area and i have to say, it did my legs the power of good........have had no problems except a little stiffness Monday and early Tuesday - best tip I ever heard!
    Congratulations everyone!
  • Wonder how Pseudo got on with the Washington mara ?
    - hope everyone has recovered well !
  • DG- Pseudo has posted his Washington details on the NY thread. I won't spoil it for you by telling you how he has done. I'll let you have a look for yourself. Damn impressive in my eyes though.

I had 2 weeks off after Amsterdam and am now back in the swing of things. Just waiting to see if I have got a FLM place or not now!
  • Fattty
    i wondered where you had been glad you had a good time.

I have been back training for last week and will do Rotterdam in the spring :-) and Amsterdam again in the autumn.

So is everyone else planning there next marathon.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Thanks Nigel - I'll have to go in search of the New York thread then.Like you I've had two weeks off - back to recovery runs now with a bit of x training for variety - have just joined Brigthon AC - so hoping to get into some X country over the next few months.
    Fingers crossed for you getting into FLM!

Welsh Poppy sounds like you've got your action plan all set out -glad to see you enjoyed Amsterdam enough to go back - will you do the full mara again ?
    I'm doing Flm next year and might consider Washington/ New York next Autumn if I can get in !
  • Hi DG

Yes the full marathon although I had problems I believe the course is a good PB potential so will target it as my Autumn marathon.

yes I failed to get in for FLM so Rotterdam here I come:-)

NY is very easy to get into a friend has done it last 5 years and he ties it in with a meaga shopping trip to keep his wife happy:-)

good luck with your plans and prep for FLM are you targetting a time?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Hi WP

Rotterdam sounds good - hope it dosen't fill up as quickly as Paris!
    Hmmm - maga shopping trip in NY - tht sounds good!

As for FLM -I'm hoping to get my times down quite a bit - I could say 3.30 but I ideally I'd like to get as near 3.15 as possible - we'll see - I sense some very hard training comming up ! Have you got target times for Rotterdam and Amsterdam ?
  • Hey great to see so many doing Amsterdam!...just found this link so nice know there will be many travelling from the UK too.....this will be my first Marathon...so best of luck to everyone and maybe see a few of your around the city or on the way over...

• Paul, this one is for the 2005  races. There is 1 for this year's race usually on page 1 or 2  of the Races section