Sub 3:15 FLM 2006

Comments

• I hope to be aiming for this next year.

Concentrating on building a 30 Mile a week base at the moment with a long run, a tempo run and some speed wotk every week. Some weeks I am doing hill work instead of speed.

Will be doing lots of 5 milers and 10K events over the summer and aiming for a sub 1:30 half marathon on September 4th at Thanet, to see how things are going.

I have a place for next year, as I am caring over a place from last year due to injury.

LL
  • We're off again..
    First post FLM race for me, over an undulating 7.2 lung busting, lactate building, shin bulging, calf aching, chest heaving, heart thumping, never ending miles.

About 6:30 m/m, and 14th place (from 71). Not a bad training session.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Sounds as tough as FLM, Blisters! Well done!

E-P, you did well to carry on regardless after your fall. How many pints did you have in the pub beforehand? ;-)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Hi all - FLM 2006, is it Groundhog Day already?

I dropped out injured this year - now back to a couple of outings a week of up to an hour. I've never done much more than 20mpw in a big week but would like to up that a bit. Current PB 3.18 so "only" need to knock a few minutes off that.
  • blisters youre an imposter, you should find a FLM sub 3hr thread with that sort of pace.
    Good on you anyway, thats impressive!
  • 3:06:03 isn't yet sub 3. They were too frightening last year, but I tend to keep a foot in two camps anyway.
  • blisters, are you going to increase / change your trg for next year? Either way what programme are you going to follow? Im going to concentrate on speed work over the summer with the occasional distance run thrown in, 1 or 2 a week. Will you be doing similar?
  • Swanny, it sounds good to me.

FYI. Last year at FLM I nearly died when I only achieved 3:16:35, or 372 yards short of target (hmmm that's the 0.2 bit)

All I did in the next 6 months to get the extra 2 mins was to up my number of 20 milers from 4 to 6, and the change my rep session from 30 mins of 100m bursts to 30 mins of 1 mile blasts.

The next 6 months had more Mike Gratton influence, and more club sessions. 6x 20 milers were virtually a continuation from autumn. However these were interspersed with 13 milers on the intervening weekends.
    I think that the key difference was the Monday track interval session (competitive element) and the short club level races.
    Result: from 3:16 to 3:06 in 12 months. And I ended the 2005 race with fuel in the tank.

Have fun, whatever you do.
    With new trainers I'm looking forward to pulling them on and going out. How about you?

• XFR

I'll join you but on the presumption I can have a piggy-back for 25 miles! I should be able to manage 1.2 miles at 7 mins! :oD
  • W.W.W.
    You'ze the star!
    All hail the Wabbit :-0
    Why not take the tube fwom Gweenwich to Embankment and just wun the last bit?
  • blisters - Your post has inspired me. Your 04 time is 1 min different to my 05 time and it sounds like my trg pretty much mirrored your 04 trg. My plans seem to be the same for 06 as yours were for 05, so hopefully my result next year will be close to yours from this year. It appears im doing everything almost the same as you but a year behind, although i did no hill or speed work for this year it was purely distance trg.
    Just out of interest, I am assuming your are going for sub 3 next year and as i have said already your times look like you can do it, would you have done anything differently for 05 that may have got you in under 3hrs. I am trying to catch up on your years experience here you understand.
  • By saying your years experience i mean you being 1 year ahead of me in trg experience, im not calling you an old git or anything!
  • Anyway, did Marlow 5 today, anyone else - Susie Bee you said you might do it? I managed 33 minutes but it was after a shocking start which was severely congested with slower runners i lost over a minute in the first 150m and god knows how much in the first mile. It took me nearly 8 mins to do mile 1 which is poor for me. Still managed to do next 4 at roughly 6 15 mile pace which i was pleased with.

Oxford Town and Gown 10k next week and im pleased to say the organisers are putting up a RunnersWorld forumites meeting place sign which is a neat touch, so hopefully i bump into some new characters.
  • sounds like most people's plans are starting to take shape!

I've had a less than brilliant day at the Hinckley 1/2M - knew it was never going to be a fast time as the course is pretty hilly, but had underestimated quite how many hills!! added to that, one of my knees is a bit crunchy still from my little tumble earlier in the week (NO pints before SusieBee - I wish!!) and the weather was...er...less than ideal! Not revealing the actual time though, in case i get thrown off this thread for being an imposter!

Going to sit down tonight tho and work out what i'm doing up to Cardiff marathon (which will hopefully be my GFA)...
  • Swanny: creak, groan, pass the comfy slippers!

There was a brief possibility that sub 3 was available this year for me, but there was a zero margin for error. The most optimistic forecast chart gave me 2:59:55, but most said 3:02 to 3:07. Having bombed out from target last year by a matter of seconds, I was NOT going to have that dissappointment this year. I said I would be happy with 3:00:01, but was lying. 3:01:00 then yes, happy. My attitude was to try for sub 3, but without self pressure, and not wanting to be scraped off The Mall.

Losing my pace notes before the race didn't help, it meant that I lost the plot around Mile 15, and then by 18-20 I was 2 minutes down. Not having any spare in the game, I decided to cruise on that pace, even having time to stop & kiss the kids at mile 25. (Yuk Daddy). Had I got sub 3 in me? Maybe not.

Anyway. The training "plan": Weekend distance (long & med alternates). 6 days. One day track or race or a time trial on a training route (5-6-8 mile). Try not to do 2 hard days sequential, but it's not a rule. Cold baths when feeling hot & brave. Physio every 6 weeks. Visit the daily training thread for inspiration.

• SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Looks a pretty sound plan to me, Blisters, though I think I'd only brave a cold bath on the hottest of days....

Swanny, well done! I decided against racing at Marlow in the end, as I shall be racing every weekend for at least the next four (including two 'almost half marathon distance' legs on consecutive days at the Green Belt Relay.

E-P, it sounds like you just had a bad day. If it's of any comfort, I participated in a 10k 'fun run' last weekend, although it wasn't too much fun. It was very hot and hilly and I had to stop and walk up a few of the hills - I felt as though I'd suddenly become unfit overnight. Delighted to say that I've had a few good runs since then though.
  • SusieBee, you are not the only one, i felt like that last week, totally cream crackered, i put it down to tiredness from FLM. I have recovered now though and trg is progressing reasonably well. I must admit to slacking off a bit lately. I need another distance goal (1/2 marathon i think) to aim for that is a little closer than next April otherwise i fear my dedication, commitment and enthusiasm may drop somewhat.
    I think ill go and have a look for a half marathon on the events list now.
  • Track sesh for me tonight.
    Legs of lead, but persisted anyway. There's no prizes for wimps.

I need some races in my diary too.
  • Hi all,

FLM recovery is now fully back on track as I have a new HM PB to report of 1:31:23 on a fairly flat but windy course at Frinton on Seas on Sunday.

Pleased with that considering it was off a 50 mile week and a game of football on the Saturday!

Next up I'll be trying to keep up with Susie Bee at Hatfield Broad Oak, sub 40's??? maybe a little early for me but I am going to try for it.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Swanny, go for it! Whoever first uttered the phrase "the more you train the more you want to train, and the less you train the less you want to" had a point. When I started running a few years ago, I made the mistake of taking a complete break after my first marathon, and then only re-commenced training when I saw a half marathon I fancied some 6 months later, so I'd lost most of the fitness I'd built up through the Spring.

NT, very well done! I'm sure there's a lot more to come there...It's going to be a case of me trying to keep up with you at Hatfield Broad Oak!
  • chiro appointment tomorrow - hopefully that'll sort out my problem(s) and get me back to proper training instead of this poncey two miles on a tready carp!
  • SusieBee - Thanks for the words of encouragement. Its funny this running lark, i decided against a run yesterday and went to football trg (football has always been my favourite sport since i was a nipper) for the first time in 6 months, i stopped just before christmas as i didnt want to get injured for FLM. When i got in i felt dejected and wished i had gone for a run instead. I cant believe i felt like that! Whilst i was there somebody asked me how i didnt get bored with running. To be honest i couldnt really answer the question, apart from the fact that i love the challenge, for me it is the chase for the PB's, and when I get one the amazing sense of achievement.

NotleyTrotter - Congratulations on your PB, well done.

Well i have had an excellent trg session today. I did 10k over my local hilly 10k race route which luckily for me pretty much starts and ends at my front door. My previous best on this course was 43.18. Well i decided i would blast it today, got to my first waypoint (just over half way) 1 minute inside PB then i had to stop for a call of nature, then i had to wait near the end for what seemed like an endless snake of cars before i could cross the road, checked my watch at the final waypoint about half a mile from the end and i was 2 minutes up on course PB. I really opened up for the last bit, crossed the finish line and in my excitement instead of stopping my stopwatch i reset the bloody thing. I was really, really p$£*!d off. I must have got about 41.30 so i am really pleased. This bodes well for my next race, Oxford Town and Gown on Sunday. I can feel a PB beckoning!
    Anyway, football match tomorrow, so i need to be careful.
  • Thanks Swanny, sounds like your training is going well even if the forces of the dark side were conspiring against you last night!

Having played football on Saturday for the 1st time in nearly 2 years I have to say I missed the banter and cameraderie amongst my old mates but out on the field whilst the touch and experience still seem to be there, those teenagers just have too much pace for me these days, no stamina though, leave that to us runners :-)

After the football & HM on Sunday though my hamstrings have shortened to about 2 inches! some serious stretching and a couple of easier days have hopefully sorted that out now ready for a good club session tonight.

SusieBee, you have a great race in the tank and ready to be unleashed with training so far this year, Hatfield could just be the day that it all happens.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Swanny, that’s an excellent training run – I wouldn’t be disappointed doing that time in a race, let alone in training! If you haven’t run the Oxford Town & Gown before, I did it two years ago as my first 10k. From memory, it was a pretty fast course, apart from a bit of congestion on a narrow path near the start if you’re in the main pack of runners.

NB, thanks! I know it’s in the tank, but I’m looking towards the (flat and fast) Dorney (Eton) 10k at the beginning of Jul, to really hit form. Still, I hope to have a good run at Hatfield and not finish too far behind you ;-) …..btw, I am competing in a sprint triathlon the day before….

XFR, at least you have nearly a year to achieve your goal! I trust you are still biking and swimming…?

I swam 2,000 metres last night and hope to do about 8 miles this eve, the middle 4 at tempo pace.
  • 8 miles???

wibble! That would take me about 7 hours! Must confess I have been dropping off the swimming as it gave me back ache lately.

Okay - back from the chiro - great stuff :o) Quite apart from the fact she looks like Davina McCall! Um - did various muscle strength tests, checked posture etc and concluded that various nerves weren't firing properly and that this would lead to a number of things, pretty much all of which matched up with my symptoms. She also mentioned several other things that I'd had but hadn't told her :o) She did various moves shoving my spine about and re-tested the relevant bits and the muscels are working alot better - or rather the nerves are firing better. I could feel the strength I could produce in various movements had increased dramatically :o)

Early days yet of course, need to see what develops, and of course I've put various muscles and ligaments under excess strain as a result of my misalignment, and that's all got to heal up before I'm 100% - but so far, I'm impressed!
  • XFR - Good news your getting yourself sorted out. Hope all goes as well in the future for you.

Susie Bee - I believe the course has changed over thelast 2 years for Oxfor T and G, but having not done it before i dont know how the changes affect it.

NT - Youre not the only one thats lacking in the sprint pace. And now i have lost my advantages of size and weight having lost 2.5 stone since i started trg.

A half decent run tonight, 12 miles in 87 mins. Did first 4 in 26 mins then slowed myself down and maintained a comfortable pace for next 6.5 miles then sped up for last 1.5. Felt very refreshed and pleased afterwards, especially after yesterdays run.
  • Happy bouncy peeps. Excellent. I'll come back.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Swanny, very well done again. If you carry on like this, you'll soon be knocking on that door called "3".

XFR, that's good to hear, though I don't have an opinion on Davina McCall...;-) Btw, I meant to say 8 running miles! I'm not in training to swim the channel just yet...
  • I wuz going to say!!

Bit sore this morning - I was told it was likely to feel like that though