Sub 3:15 FLM 2006

Comments

• Hi Bear, best of luck with this.

I've been looking at the GFA times - I know these are subject to change but I thought it was sub 3.15 for a 40 year old male. On the website it says

Men 18-40 2.45-3.00
    Men 41-59 3.15

Is this right? A sub 3.15 when you're 40 is not a GFA?
  • that's right DavidB - or at least it was last time I looked. They changed it a few years back.
  • I think that I recall the phrase being that the qualifying time had to have been achieved in the 2 year period prior to the date of the FLM.

That puts a different perspective on it.
  • Hi NT

Damn, my cover has been blown. You know who i am!
    Well done on the Frinton Half. I won this last year and thought I had a p.b, until a runner with a GPS told me that it was about 100 metres short. Could have strangled him!
    Hope the course was accurate this time?

Susie and me are definately running the Hatfield Broad Oak, so see you there. I expect Howard will be there?

If anyone is thinking of running this, i would definately recomend it. It's a great run in a really nice village.
  • brilliant results from frinton! i reckon there's a few on here who might end up toying with sub3...

XFR let's hope davina was successful..!! btw, i know a few folks who are planning a channel relay next year if you're interested!!! ;)

been a rather disrupted week...since i've been trying to give up rowing people keep asking me to be in boats (this never happened while i was religiously turning up to 10x training a week!). anyway, am racing weds, thurs, fri next week so had a few sessions on the water. however, racing a track 10k on Sunday. unlikely to do anything of note, but looking forward to when my body will be able to work out what it's actually trying to achieve!!
  • I'll have to get used to open water swimming first I think. Never did like swimming in the sea though

I'm provisionally interested though - must speak to Dr Nix about what it's like to swim in the middle of the channel
  • when i first heard about it i thought 'relay? wot, someone has to tread water in the middle of the sea and wait for someone to pass them a baton?

lol

• might make swimming tricky holding on to one of those!

and what happens if you drop it? Do you have to dive down and pick it up from the sea bed?
  • Thanks TB, bet you've not been on a sub 3:15 board before?

I heard the rumours about course accuracy at Frinton but some think it's OK and I was close enough when I measured it crudely using autoroute at home. Since I took 13.5 mins of my prev HM best I think I'll keep it as a PB anyway :-) hopefully a bit more in the tank to beat it next time out.

Look forward to seeing you at Hatfield, I'm sure Howard will be there as it's a championship race for us, he'll no doubt be fresh despite the Halstead marathon yesterday and Green Belt next week! Best of luck, I expect you to be right up there.
  • Ssshhh,

Wow it is quiet around here. Just a quick weekly update, not the greatest ever but,

Sun 8m @ 7 m/m
    Mon 6m easy
    Tue 6 x 1k reps at 3:55 with 2min jog recoveries
    Wed 6.5m off road & 4m both easy
    Thu 35 mins Kenyan hills off road
    Fri 4m easy
    Sat 5m Steady
    Sun 13m Easy, @ 60% WHR, felt good

Racing next weekend so will ease off the hard stuff later this week. Low expectations a been a bit of a piggy on the nutritional front!

Hope to catch up with a few of you guys soon.
  • well done blisters but keep the noise down Im trying to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Great work Blisters, don't think I have a prayer of matching that time at my 10k on Monday though.

Will report back nonetheless and hopefully with a shiny new PB as well
  • Well done for getting a PB blisters.
    NT, that was a great training week by the way.Good to see you are mixing your runs,the Kenyan hills sound interesting?

Good luck for Sunday for those who are racing.
  • Great time Blisters :o)

I've got the go ahead to try a little run on grass tonight, so here's hoping
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff, Blisters! As you will clearly be in sub-3 shape very soon, you are doing us a great honour by popping on here. Mind you, I believe there’s someone else on here who does 32 minute 10ks…. ;-)

NB, l hope to meet you at the Hatfield Broad Oak on Monday, although I think it’s fair to say that I won’t really be in a position to perform at my best. I took part in the Green Belt Relay at the weekend and did virtually the same amount of mileage over the 2 days as I’ve done over the previous 4 weeks, and I’ve a triathlon to do on the Sunday. I’m now targetting the Dysart Dash on 2 July for the sub 41 attempt.

Fingers crossed for you, XFR.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    (NB = NT (previously Humph))
  • SB, well done on the GBR, some fellow Trotters competed although I think we had to chase the Chasers this time. Sounded like a good event although I didn't go for it as it did not really fit in with family plans.

Best of luck with the Tri, my daughter is running the fun run at Hatfield, her first ever race, so I'm hoping the legs will last the pace and I can jog that with her.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Thanks, NT!

I was suffering from stomach cramps on my 1st leg and ended up running most of it with a (2nd claim) female ‘Trotter’, who helped take my mind off the pain.

It will be my first tri so I’m not expecting to break any records, but it will be good to get the experience.

Good luck to your daughter – hope she doesn’t push you too hard!

• Should be running the Hatfield Broadoak so hopefully should see some of you guys there.

Tyger Bill, what sort of time are you aiming for?
  • Hi Bryn R

i'm hoping for 33 something? But not sure what my fitnes is like since my dreadful FLM? I ran this a couple of years ago, not the quickest of courses, but a great finish,(down hill).
    My g/f is running as well, so need to put on a good show!

See you there.

Good luck with the tri on Sunday Susie bee. I'll be there giving you plenty of support, as you know. He,he.
  • TB well done on the high finish at Hatfield, tough going when the winner is sub 32 mins! SB glad your Tri went well but hope the calf problem at Hatfield is just a niggle and nothing serious.

I'm really pleased with a new 10k PB at Hatfield Broad Oak of 40:04 by my watch, shame not to break 40 as I really thought I was on for this at the 9k marker but that last k just went on forever! 5k (if accurately marked) was also a new best @ 19:21.

Both of these reflect well on the McMillan calculator, if only it were that easy!!!!

PB 40:04 10k
    PB 19:21 5K
  • up to six minutes running - guess you could call it a comeback, but not much of a one yet!!
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Thanks, NT, and very well done to you! Great chunk to take off the PB. Sub-40 is just one race away!

I’m treating myself to a sports massage, which I’m hoping is going to do some good.

• SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    Hang on in there, XFR!
  • Eee - I remember the days when I got close to sub-40 :o(

Nice one though NT.

I'll be there to cheer at the Dysart - you still doing it Susie?
  • Glad you are back running XFR, keep it going steadily and I'm sure you'll be OK.

My problem is always holding the pace for longer stuff, so come the autumn I'll have to build up the endurance & volume of long runs so the legs start to treat 20 miles as more of a normal occurence.
  • SusieBeeSusieBee ✭✭✭
    It doesn't look like it now, XFR. It looks as though I'll be going to the Cotswolds for the weekend and will do the Bourton Half marathon instead. It's hilly so I won't be too worried about the time, but it also takes place early on the Saturday evening, which will mean plenty of beers afterwards owing to it not taking place on the Sunday morning ;-)
  • sounds like a good plan :o)
  • Anyone coming to race a train in August?