Sub 3:15 FLM 2006

Comments

• Hello all

I've been trying to do my three runs a week cos it worked last year.

Just did the Woodstock 12 (and a bit) in 85 mins, and it was quite hilly so that's not too bad.

Stamina found me out at the end though - need more long runs!

However - just off on hols to Egypt and don't fancy a 2 hour run in 90 degrees, so maybe lots of speedwork on the treadmill and look to long ones when I get back. Anyone got any good or interesting treadmill workouts????

• First half in 11 years (excluding back to back ones in the Green Belt Relay this year)

Missed PB by 52 seconds but way inside next best

• FBF - Enjoy yourself in Egypt you lucky blighter! As for the treadmill, make it as interesting as you like. Intervals are good, do the Yasso 800's for a laugh!

Cookie - Thats not bad, so how come you lose 52 seconds over 11 years, yet i can lose 6 minutes over the space of 2 months? Not fair.
  • Hi Swanny

Interesting treadmill - hmmmm. Perhaps if I followed it with a massage it might make it more interesting. Are Yassos 10 times 800?

And 6 minutes in 2 months is nothing - I can lose than on a 10k!!

• FBF - Yes 10 x 800. Your consistent rep time over the distance in minutes should point to your expected marathon time (ie rep times of 2min 45sec (hehehehe - not in a month of Sundays) equates to an expected marathon time of 2hrs 45mins. I have my doubts but its still a decent workout.
  • A couple of years ago in the run up to London i was bashing out 8 x 800 in 2.40. There is not a cat in hells chance of me doing a marathon in that time, but as Swanny says it's a good work out.

Most treadmills only allow you to run 3 min 800s. I used to 3 x 3200 at this speed. It was great for lactate threshold, VO2 max and speed endurance.

Nice to see this thread waking up a bit. I hear hilly is after a sub 3 next year. We'll miss her determination and enthusiasm on the 3.15 this year, a real motivator.
  • I'd agree that Yasso's are a good workout but again not sure they can relied upon as an indicator.

My experience is that they stack up well against my predictive marathon times based on shorter race results but to date I've always faded towards the end of the marathon (mind you only 2 attempts).

Maybe an indicator that I am better suited to shorter races, but you also have to consider all the external factors that influence the longer race such as a warm day.

Hopefully there will be similar motivators here this year. Hilly's achievemnets last time round should still serve as an inspiration to us all.
  • Thanks guys.

I agree about the max speed of the treadmill, but not sure if I fancy 3 times 2 miles!!

In terms of the predictions, I've found them to be over-optimistic at most distances.
  • Can get 20 kph out the treadmills at my gym, but sadly not when I'm running on them :-(
  • one day Notley ........ one day :0)

Build up to it weekly FBF, by march you'll be doing it easily.

I've just got back from a nice little run in the woods and valleys of the Chilterns. I'm loggig everything at the mo' so as I can measyre my improvement(or not). 54.50 average HR of 153.
    I felt good after so I did some 600 metre reps race walking all well under 3 mins so all n all a nice session.

:0)
  • Hey Pizza Man, where in the Chilterns? I run Chess Valley and an interesting 8 mile circuit out Pednor and South Heath way. Love those hills!
  • Chess Valley! You'll be within 5 miles of me then as it's only about 8 miles long. You'll often find me in the Chess Valley around Sarrat, Chenies, Latimer and Chalfont. I'm based in Chorleywood.
    I'm guessing you're Chesham way?

• Thats an interesting one about the treadmills top speeds. It wouldnt have been a concern to me as i have only ever used them for long steady runs but i tried the max heart rate test (2 x 3min at max sustainable pace) on one the other day. I had no idea what pace to set it at so ended up doing 6 reps all of increasing speed (reaching 18.5km/h). I decided i would do the test again properly now armed with my new info on my sustainable pace and i would go for it at 19.5km/h. Hopefully that will be fast enough, if its not i may have a problem.
  • Still got achilles problem, and now got a cold, havent run for 7 days. Abingdon Marathon in 3 weeks 2 days.

Apart from that, everything is great!

Hope everyone is having a better time of it than me!
  • Swanny - better to get it all out the way now!!

I remember doing a max heart rate test once which was, I think, 5 times 800m. Quite painful as I recall. Worse thing was that it came within a beat of the 220-age rule of thumb!! Now I tend to occasionally check my resting heart rate first thing to see if I'm still alive.

Off on hols tomorrow so we'll see if I can put some of these treadmill sessions to good use.

Or simply lounge by the pool with a beer?

• I always thought that to find maximum Hr it 5/6 times 3mins/800 metres at maximum effort arther than just 2 efforts. With the max usualy coming on the 3rd or 4th rep.
    Still there are many ways to skin a rabbit.
  • I am no expert. There probably is more than 1 way to do it. I followed the instructions on this website, luckily i didnt get the same as the . During the test i did i recorded a high of 8 more than my 220-age HR. To be honest I have only been using a HR monitor for 6 weeks so i am a newbie to it. Istarted using the monitor the day after i gave up smoking after being a habitual user for the last 16 years of my life. In preparation for giving up i bought myself the Garmin forerunner 301 and decided the cost would be offset by the lack of smoking. A little extra incentive for me to stay off the weed.
  • Congrats on the smoking.

Great idea to get the garmin, it'l give you the chance to monitor how the resting HR is coming down and fitness is improving.

Stay with it and again, well done.
  • Swany

I used to smoke but not run, then run and smoke and now run and not smoke. The latter is definitely better and I hope you will find, as I have, that as you get fitter you feelless and less like a ciggy.

Other vices have tended to compensate, however!!
  • FBF - Probably too late, but hope you enjoy your hols, but not too much - especially after mentioning your other vices.

I havent checked my resting heart rate at waking yet. I have been meaning to do it but have noticed it get as low as about 48 at times. I will try it tomorrow i think.

Thanks to all for the good words about the non smoking. Its funny, despite all the normal excellent reasons for giving up, i think the one that made me really want to do it and has kept me off the weed is the pursuit of running well and improving my times.
  • Not too late - last minute packing etc - I'm keeping out the way!!!

Good luck to anyone racing today.

Not looking forward to tights and hats hen I get back!

One lat soking anecdote - I do remember finishing my first marathon (I've only done 2) which was London 2003. I thought 3.48 v. v. respectable and had to laugh when just past the baggage buses was a girl sat on the grass with a bottle of bubbly having a fag! Had evidently been there for a while as well!

Take care all.
  • Count me in. Would love to break 3h 15mins.
    Bring it on.
  • Count me in too. My company has just announced charity place applications through Macmillan. I had to pull out last year due to a nasty dose of shin splints. I've been training again during the summer, and I'm not going to make the same mistakes as last year. I'll spend the autumn getting a good base fitness ready to have a crack at 3.15. My best is 3.30 in Chicago in 2003.
  • THis is a good thread. I'm hoping for 3 hrs next Spring. Previous best is 3.20 3yrs ago.
    Going to use Pete Pfitzinger's Schedule from "advanced marathoning" but will be taking lots of advice from this thread too.
    Did a hilly 13.5 miles today in 1.50 which I think is fine for this time of year. Average HR 140 bpm.
    Definitely keen to haer from any one with similar ambitions in Leicester city for maybe hooking up over the winter for some long runs.
  • Hello all and welcome aboard VB, MH5 and Milligan.
    VB - What is your marathon PB?
    MH5 - Sounds like you are training smarter and with a nice long base you should be nicely set to advance from 3.30 to sub 3.15 (or almost sub 3) group.
    Milligan - I am going to get that book soon hopefully, i have heard a lot of good things about it. Last time i checked it was going cheap on Amazon (£9.79). By the way, that is good going on the pace with that HR, sounds like you have a really good base already.

Well i am hoping to get cleared for running by the physio tomorrow. I have not run for a total of 10 days and its frustrated me beyond belief. Especially when i was going so well in preparation for Abingdon Marathon in 3 weeks. Still time to make it just wont be much of a taper.
  • Hi all and welcome to newcomers. Good to see you back again Martin.

I just took delivery of a shiny new copy of Advanced Marathoning (from Amazon) so looks like we are all following the same advice!

Get well soon Swanny, wait till the cold has cleared before you do the resting HR test or your figures will skew. I did my max test by running 6 x 300m hills, awful experience, I have a low max 173, but low rest of 36. The rest at this stage will not have done too much harm if you can tick over until the race, which I thought you were taking as a training run?

Tough 10k for me yesterday on a really twisty and hilly course. Finished 34th of 323 in 41:07 but I reckon this was worth sub 40 on a flat course. Need to do some hill training though as I was going backwards fast on some of them!!
  • Hi, I am aiming for 3:15 did 3:35 this year, Feeling stronger and fitter so postive that I'll meet the challenge...
    I am definatly including interval training into my schdule this year stayed away from it last year.
    At the moment I am training for a 1/2 marathon at stevenage so will aim for 1:20.
  • Hello all

Got my Good for Age reply over the weekend and I'm in, so it's all systems go now for next April! Anybody else heard?

Sim
  • NT - Yes i did apply for this as a trg run, but the competetive side of me has reared its ugly head. I think the injury though will force me to take it easy (maybe!). BTW that is an extremely low resting HR. Does it take you ages to get going in the morning?

tillybud - 1.20 for a half marathon, blimey, if you can do that then i would say a sub 3 marathon should be your goal.

Sim - Congrats on GFA. I am either 8 years (age) off or 17min 48 (run time) out for a GFA at the moment so well done you.
  • Hello all,

Can I join? Just had it confirmed today that I have been allocated a Golden Bond place in case I fail in the ballot (as I suspect I will!). So either way I'm in for FLM06.

Did last year in 3hours 32mins but feel that with better training this year a sub 3:15 is a distinct possibility. That would give me my GFA place for next year.

Mind you haven't run all week becasue of a bad back but may risk it tonight to see how it holds up.

Look forward to sharing training tips and advice with all in this thread.