Groin & lower abdomen pains

I WONDER IF ANYONE CAN HELP? I PULLED MY GROIN LAST WEEK ON THE LEFT SIDE WHICH WAS PAINFUL BUT NOTHING NEW AS I HAVE HAD GROIN STRAINS COME AND GO BEFORE.THE PROBLEM IS I'M GETTING PAINS IN THE LOWER ABDOMEN AREA.I RESTED FOR A WEEK FELT NO TWINGES SO DECIDED TO GO FOR A LIGHT RUN YESTERDAY BUT ONLY LASTED 10 MINS BEFORE MY GROIN WENT AGAIN AND NOW TODAY MY LOWER STOMACH AREA IS QUITE SORE AND UNCOMFARTABLE.IS IT JUST PULLED MUSCLES OR COULD IT BE THE START OF A HERNIA.

Comments

• B.John - two points I'd make immediately;
    i) Don't assume it's a hernia yet - there can be numerous other causes
    ii) Go and see a medical professional asap - I prefer an osteopath but you may use someone already.
    Funnily enough, I've had an injury that sounds similar to yours. Pain in the lower abdomen, across to my hip but also in the groin area and in the adductor muscles on the inside of the thigh.
    Problem with groin injuries is that it's difficult to work out where the problem has originated because it tends to show up as pain in a number of areas and, of course, once you've strained one muscle, you tend to strain associated ones as well!
    If I can offer you some hope, 4 weeks ago, I thought I might have a hernia. Now, with some sensible changes to my running (slightly slower, no hard speedwork), some treatment from the osteopath and some anti-inflammatories, I'd say I'm back to 80% and still improving. Of course, that could all change but feeling better for now!!!
  • THANKS FOR THE ADVICE SHROPSSADDLER!I'VE BEEN TAKING ANTI-INFLAMS AND ITS HELPED A BIT BUT I'M STILL GETTING SLIGHT PAINS IN MY LOWER ABDOMEN WHEN I'M WALKING.IT'S FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION SPEEDWORK.THE WEEK I ORIGINALLY PULLED THE MUSCLES I HAD DONE TWO QUITE INTENSE RUNS SO THATS OBVIOUSLY NOT HELPED.I'VE DECIDED TO TAKE TWO WEEKS REST AND SEE HOW I GO FROM THEIR.I'M DOING THE GREAT NORTH RUN THIS YEAR SO HOPEFULLY THIS IS JUST AN EARLY NIGGLE BECAUSE I REALLY DONT WANT TO MISS THAT ONE!!!
  • Sounds like the same injury I've had for a couple of months. I got a twinge in the lower abdomen lifting some boxes but it didn't bother me much unless I coughed. Then as soon as I tried running I had quite a severe pain at the top of my groin and the muscles on the inside of my leg near the privates. Pain doesn't get much worse if I carry on but gradually intensifies in my abdomen. After the run I find that if I cough I get a really uncomfortable pain.

I tried stopping for a week, felt no pain at all but then as soon as I run again it's back after just a couple of strides. It's really just an irritant but I want to build up mileage and am reluctant to do this until I can get rid of niggles. It's especially annoying when I didn't do it running !
  • Yes Ed M that's been very similar to me. Ok to run on but that some discomfort in the abdomen (specifically Rectus Abdominus muscle on RHS). All I can say is, I seem to have worked through it via trip to osteopath, sensible speed running and anti-inflammatories.
  • I've been resting completely for the last couple of weeks but have the Three Forts Marathon planned for Sunday - not very sensible but I can't bring myself to pull out. I'm hoping that it's calmed down enough now so that the slow pace of a marathon won't mess it up again.
  • Seem to have something similar too.

Dosen't trouble me when running (although when I had to change course suddenly this morning it let me know about it).

Coughing and sneezing really hurt though. I have to sit down to do these.

I am a bit perplexed. I am well used to tweeks in my legs and know how to treat these but this is something different.
  • Well, it held up for half the race until I decided to climb a gate rather than wait for someone faffing about at a stile and then it went again. A few miles later and I could hardly walk on the flat and downhill - OK uphill though. It was a very strange last 6 miles to a x-country marathon where I kept overtaking everyone as I ran up the hills and they all overtook me again as I walked down them.

Anyway, off to the doctor on Thursday so maybe he'll givem e a bit of advice or pack me off to a physio.
  • I also have a groin injury, this started from bad back pain. My doc sugessted that I try pilates...and its working. I hope to start training this week.
  • WENT TO THE DOCS YESTERDAY{WEDS}AND HE GAVE ME THE GOOD NEWS LOOKS "LIKE THE START OF A HERNIA TO ME"HE SAID AS MY HEART SUNK HE'S REFERRING ME TO A SURGEON{WHICH COULD TAKE 4 WEEKS}WHO WILL BE ABLE TO ASSESS IT BETTER USING ULTRASOUND.STILL CLINGING TO THE HOPE IT MIGHT NOT BE A HERNIA BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK TO GOOD AT THE MOMENT AS I AM GETTING MORE PAINS IN THE LOWER ABDOMEN AREA ESPECIALLY WHEN LYING DOWN.ON A LIGHTER NOTE MY GROIN PAINS SEEMS TO HAVE CLEARED UP!NOT SURE WHAT MY CHANCES OF DOING THE GREAT NORTH RUN ARE AT THE MOMENT TRYING NOT TO THINK THAT FAR.I'LL HAVE TO START A FORUM ON HERNIAS NEXT!!! OH WELL LIFE GO'S ON!
  • B.John - be very wary of doctors! Does he have detailed knowledge of such injuries? "Hernia" is often the fallback assumption for groin injuries. I can't remember - have you been to see an osteopath/sports therapist etc who might have day to day knowledge of sporting injuries?
  • HELLO AGAIN S.S.-I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYONE OTHER THAN MY LOCAL DOCS.HE WASN'T TOTALLY POSITIVE IT WAS A HERNIA THAT IS WHY HE'S REFERRING ME TO A SURGEON WHO WILL BE ABLE TO HAVE A BETTER LOOK AT IT WITH THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT i.e.ULTRASOUND. SO OBVIOUSLY THEIRS STILL A CHANCE IT MIGHT NOT BE.I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO AN OSTEOPATH/SPORTS THERAPIST BUT IT MIGHT BE WORTH A TRY RATHER THAN WAITING 4 WEEKS TO SEE SOMEBODY DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WERE TALKING HERE FOR A CONSULTATION?
  • First consultation will often be £45-£50 with sessions thereafter at £30-£35. Depends where you live.
    Surgeon - not wishing to suggest anything untoward obviously, but remember that a surgeon makes his living out of surgery! His viewpoint might well be that it's worth an exploratory operation to ascertain the exact cause. I'm sure any surgeon would be thoroughly professional in diagnosis but that might be their slant on it.
    4 weeks ago I was convinced I had the start of a hernia as well (perhaps I do?) but sensible stretching, some massage and sensible running seem to have helped tremenously for now.
  • OK THANKS FOR THE HELP I THINK I'LL CONTINUE TO REST THIS WEEK AND TRY SOME GENTLE EXERCISE NEXT WEEK. HAVE YOU FOUND ANY PARTICULAR EXERCISES THAT HAVE HELPED? I WONDER IF I CAN GET THE WIFE TO HELP WITH THE MASSAGE!!
  • Please stop shouting!

FWIW I've had a groin injury for a while, which is finely starting to improve after 2nd pysio traced the problem to be due to my back. A few pysio sessions and excerses I 've been left to do are improving things.

Previous pysio said the problem was due to overpronation and advised rest. Rest didn't help at all, the pain never went away despite two spells of 4 weeks inactivity.
  • I have abdominal pain similar to that described in this thread. It is in the lower abdomen on the right hand side and is aggravated by sneezing. It occurs after running or if I lie on the ground and lift up my stretched legs off the ground. I took a four week break and it eased of. Yesterday I went for a 4-5 mile run and the pain is back. I had a scan but there was no sign of a hernia and there is also no bump.  My doctor doesn't know what it is. Can anyone suggest what it may be.

Many thanks.

• deejay1 wrote (see)

I have abdominal pain similar to that described in this thread. It is in the lower abdomen on the right hand side and is aggravated by sneezing. It occurs after running or if I lie on the ground and lift up my stretched legs off the ground. I took a four week break and it eased of. Yesterday I went for a 4-5 mile run and the pain is back. I had a scan but there was no sign of a hernia and there is also no bump.  My doctor doesn't know what it is. Can anyone suggest what it may be.

Many thanks.

I can see it's been a few years since your post, but I'm wondering how you got on? I'm experiencing something similar. Went a little too heavy on the leg press and popped my groin.

Been five weeks now and although the groin is getting lots better I have a similar abdominal pain to the one you describe. I can do most things (cycle, cross trainer, weights) but I can't run or make any fast, sharp movements. A leg raise or L-seat as you describe would bring on the pain also. It's extremely sharp and stops me immediately.

Interested to see how your recovery went image

George

• UPDATE. I’m fine and back running again!

If anyone's experiencing similar symptoms to the issue here, my recovery was as follows:

Lower abdomen area was painful (moreso than the groin specifically), especially when attempting to run. Around 1.5 months after the injury I could barely run 10 metres since it activated the lower abdominal area. Cross Trainer (elliptical) was fine, as was walking at speed.

It was a simply a case of giving myself time to heal and gradually increasing intensity/length of exercise. Had a couple of physio treatments which massaged the groin and lower abdomen area.

Approx 2 months in- could use the concept2 rowing machine and run a treadmill kilometre.

Lower abdomen felt a little tight, twingy and ‘naggy’ at times but didn’t worsen. Actually felt better than before the test run the day after.

Gradually increased distance. First 5k treadmill 2.5 months in.

Since at around 3-3.5 months I’m back running outdoor 10k (same speed as before), full range of abs exercises and jumping plyo stuff (jump squats/lunges/skipping/burpees).

Occasionally it can mildly twinge but this lessens each time I exercise. It’s no big deal.

Next step is to get back on the squash court!

Anyway, if you land on this thread I hope this is of use. I was worried about hernias and all that stuff, but in this case it was about healing time, a bit of physio and gradual escalation of exercise.

Any questions just ask.

• Hi, I have been having a problem similar to that described in this forum. I have been have this pain in my left groin and lower abdominal area on the left closer to the left side of my pelvic bone. In fact I've found it difficult to pinpoint the location or source of this pain. It has been 7 months now, I've been to the doctor's regarding this problem but the ultrasound and MRI scan I had suggest the area is normal. I'm getting really frustrated with my life at the moment, sometimes I feel this pain might never heal although it has improved a lot since it happened. Please has anyone here who suffered from similar problems here know what I can do to sort out this issue? I play football only twice a week now because of the ache I feel in the area after playing and time I require to feel better again before I can play. Please I would really like someone to help me.

• Hi Narit,

See above for my personal recovery. For the record I'm no professional and my take on this is based only on the experience.

Have you seen a physio? I had a few sessions massaging the area. Ultimately I found rest and gradual escalation of exercise (based on feel) to work. It wasn't a quick fix- it did take a couple of months but I'm fine now.

When you mention the pain, does this happen during exercise or afterwards? Also on a scale of 1-10 how would you describe it? Is it sharp during certain movements? Generally naggy and dull? Does the area feel 'tight'? It may be that a footy match twice a week is too much to allow sufficient recovery.

Slightly different area, but when I injured my IT band a few years ago I had some adhesions (scar tissue) build up which a physio broke down with deep tissue massage. Before that it wasn't getting any better since the build up would rub during running and it'd become gradually inflamed, eventually forcing me to stop. A few (rather intense) massage sessions fixed it completely and it hasn't returned.

Anyway I'd recommend seeing a physio who possibly will want to work into the groin area. They're the pro however so they'll be able to give you meaningful advice and steps for recovery.

I used physioworld http://physioworld.net/ and got a bloke who used to be the physio for Crystal Palace. They're pretty good and located all over the country. Not massively expensive either. Recall it being £25-30 per sesh?

Good luck with it mate image

• I started getting a twinge early last year and ignored it and carried on running. By May I couldn't run at all.

Saw the Dr as I thought it was a hernia, he wasn't convinced, but sent me for an ultrasound and they confirmed it wasn't, but speculated it was a sports hernia/athletic pubalgia/gilmores groin. Spoke to the Dr about that and he sent me to the physio, but by the time that appointment came thru I was pretty much pain free and he just said "The only way you'll know is to try running"

So after 7 months off, but with some cycling and rowing and circuits/ab work (non of which hurt) I started running again.

There was still a little discomfort to start with but it eased the more runs I did (5 weeks, 22 runs all 3-5 miles but all too fast) but other things started hurting (piriformis) so I stopped again. (3-4 weeks).

Tried again and over did it (2 weeks, 120 miles) and the abs things started hurting so another stop.

I'm pain free again after 6 weeks rest and ran on Saturday and was ok. Rested today and will be going out tomorrow.  I'll be taking it a bit steadier this time. Fingers crossed.

• I developed a groin issue a few weeks ago.. very annoying and won't go away with a couple of days off.

Turns out its an adductor tendinopathy

I used some of the exercises here to help recover it

I'm doing intervals of walking and running

3x(5 min walking + 5 min running)

The running should be slow... when I run fast it aggravates the injury but the fact that I'm doing limited intervals is damage limiting???

It's back to a beginners 1/2 marathon training plan for me??

• Holy thread resurrection batman. So here I am searching for a quick fix and solution to this issue. But I fear there isn’t one. I remember the run when this first started. Was about 18 months ago. Have managed to run through it up til now. Sure some longer runs I’d be in discomfort afterwards but all manageable However now, I’ve been going to the gym to try and strengthen my core. Especially my lower core as I thought this would help. Then went training on Thursday. Yesterday real pain with every step. Like all runners I don’t want to rest unless something is hanging off. So things that really make it hurt. Lying down and doing straight leg raises. Standing putting leg out to the side onto a bath mat and trying to pull the mat towards you. Any help thoughts support much appreciated
  • >> ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest you see a physio.

I had pain when I lifted my leg, physio said it was hip flexor tendonopathy.

Pain pulling the mat sounds like something else, adductors, so could be a lot of injuries.

Groin pain can be many different things so you need to see physio ASAP. good luck.
  • Thank you. Yes saw my friendly chirp in the week and booked in with physio next. Will let you know what they say. 
  • > @"B.JOHN" said:
    > I WONDER IF ANYONE CAN HELP? I PULLED MY GROIN LAST WEEK ON THE LEFT SIDE WHICH WAS PAINFUL BUT NOTHING NEW AS I HAVE HAD GROIN STRAINS COME AND GO BEFORE.THE PROBLEM IS I'M GETTING PAINS IN THE LOWER ABDOMEN AREA.I RESTED FOR A WEEK FELT NO TWINGES SO DECIDED TO GO FOR A LIGHT RUN YESTERDAY BUT ONLY LASTED 10 MINS BEFORE MY GROIN WENT AGAIN AND NOW TODAY MY LOWER STOMACH AREA IS QUITE SORE AND UNCOMFARTABLE.IS IT JUST PULLED MUSCLES OR COULD IT BE THE START OF A HERNIA.

Hi B.John as a former footballer I use to suffer with groin pain frequently, I would suggest you get some professional advice as there could be a reason for the frequency.