Anyone running for "children with leukaemia"?

hi there. I've got a golden bond place with children with leukaemia and thought it'd be nice to get in touch with anyone else who's running for them.

Started running last Easter. It's my first marathon and I'm scared.

Comments

• Helen - I'm running for Leukaemia CARE which is a different charity but same illness obviously.
    Don't be scared. Realistically set your time, follow the appropriate RW schedule, stick to it as religously as you can but in any case don't skimp on the long runs and finally stick to your pace and don't go off too fast.
    Do all of the above and you will have no problem - I promise.
  • Nice one Helen! It is pretty scary even after all the training it's unknown territory your first time, but the atmosphere is absolutely fantastic and will carry you round even if your body tells you to stop :-)

Is it CLIC you're running with?
  • hi , i ran 4 children with leukaemia
    a couple of years ago thay where great after the race freindly and plenty of food and drink . so the only thing you got to do is finish , which im sure you will,and then enjoy the memories.
    gl youlle love it
  • Thanks!
    It's children with leukaemia. you know the ones who have all those cool ads with the Mr Men on.
    guess I'll keep looking.
  • Hi Helen,

I'm also running for them and it will be my 1st marathon too, started running last feb/mar time. As we're nearly into 2003 wondering what the hell I'm doing.

Have you entered any other race before the big one and where are you based.

Theresa.
  • Helen - I also have a golden bond place with CLIC. This will be my third London and I would reiterate Ben's comments. Running for a charity is a motivation in itself.

Good luck

Rob
  • Cool,tired legs!!! Great to hear from you!
    I'm in Belsize park, North London

Races? Been building them up ~ 5km/10km/10mile and two 1/2 marathons recently. 2 hours 3 was the last one.

I struggle with my long runs (need a training partner I think!) so tend to enter races instead.
  • Hi

I'm running for Children with Leukaemia too and its also my first marathon. I've had those first time nerves already as well.

Mark
  • Hi Helen,

Looks like you're doing better than me, haven't run a 1/2 yet, got my 1st in Jan, have done a few 10k and a 9 miler. Know what you mean about the long runs.

Has anyone entered RW Richmond Pk 15 miles.

Hope you all had a great xmas.

Theresa

• No, when's the Richmond park run?
    I've confused at the mo ~ was sort of following the RW marathon schedule they did in the autumn but now there's a new one and it's different. Hum.

My first half mar was well cool. thought of it as a ten miler and a bit (okay a big bit!)

• Richmonds on 23.02.03, there a thread in events about it, and its free. Only thing is it's very early in the morning and they have different start times depending on what time you're aiming for in the FLM.

Ten miler and a bit (hmm I'll try that)
  • Hi Helen

I'm running for Children with Leukaemia as well. They seems to keep in contact more than others and show they care.

You've got a head start on me as I only decided to start running in July.

Been hitting 10miles for the last 10 weeks though and just entered in the Flora Half at Silverstone in March.

Best of luck to you.
  • Hi Helen

I'm running for Children with Leukaemia. I started running in August and am following a beginners schedule. Am up to 90 min long run, but have got sore calfs at the moment, so not sure what to do? Might get some new trainers, and rest a little. Getting really nervous, wondering whether I will do it or not!!

Best of luck on the day, never know might get to meet!!

Lin
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    After reading some of this thread I have to say to all you beginners, as much as I admire your courage in training and doing a marathon, I think you are all very silly to attempt it with only starting running in the summer. As some of you are finding, your muscles are not ready to cope with the kind of training required. I wonder how many of you will be put off the marathon and running after you have done it on very little background of running.

I would be interested to know how many people who take up running to run LFM, will continue to be consistent runners after.

I wish you all well in your training,

Happy running!
  • Starting from last summer is certainly a lot better than starting from the beginning of December, which is all a lot of running programmes advocate - even if you're starting from scratch.

When I first started running I built up from nothing to marathon training distances (didn't actually get in) in about 10 months. I think some muscle soreness is all part of the process. A gradual build up is essential. I spent about four months getting used to being on my feet for 30 minutes before really building up. It certainly is tough, and be wary when the soreness could be an injury, I just wouldn't call it "very silly".

Sanjay - if you've been doing 10 mile long runs (as opposed to ten miles in total) for 10 weeks, you're presumably getting comfortable doing that - sounds like you should be upping the distance on your long runs.

Best of luck with it anyway guys :-)

They give a general rule that you should be comfortable with 15 miles by mid March. You should be fine on this, but need to start to build up - that's only ten weeks away! Don't forget - *confortable* at 15 doesn't mean you've only done it once!
  • Happy New Year!!!!!

Got a problem ~ my knee hurt at 3 miles on Saturday so I stopped and rested. Ran for 10 mins Monday ~ felt fine. Yesterday at 4 miles maybe it hurt again but only a little and managed a 10k this morning ok but am concerned that I'll make it worse. What do I do?

And...does "children with Leukaemia" organise a pre London training day where we can all get together? would be nice.

See ya!
    Helen
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Iain, I take on board what you say and agree that training from summer is better than from December when some plans encourage first timers to train. Personally I disagree with that kind of training, but that's me! Maybe 'very silly' is a bit harsh, I'll go with silly! But then again I suppose we're all guilty of that at times.

Don't get me wrong it's great to see new runners take up the sport with the aim to run a marathon, but most of the reading I've done is against attempting a marathon until at least a year of running 'under the belt'.

Also, agree that training for the marathon will incur some muscles soreness, but it shouldn't be at this stage of training, if I had bad soreness at this stage, I'd question if I'd been doing too much too soon.

Happy running :)
  • I'd certainly agree that you'll do a better marathon with more training. A lot better in most cases.

I think the eighteen week schedules from complete beginner are absolutely nuts! I'm quite surprised that respectable magazines will publish schedules like that. Unless of course you already have a fair amount of fitness and stamina, and even then I think it's very dodgy. I guess that existing stamina and firtness will influence how well you can do on nine months training. I'm sure there will be a lot more people who do have problems who are complete beginners than those who have done quite a bit of sports first and/or some running before.

Agree too on questionning soreness - I think one of the main things anyone faces is knowing the difference between just a twinge caused by exertion and something more severe that will lead to injury.

I don't think we're too far apart really, I'd certainly advise caution, listening to your body etc if trying it over nine months, I guess the only difference is that I think it's possible to pull it off reasonably okay (at least for some), which is why I suppose I took umbrage at the "silly" tag.

Here's wishing everyone a happy, injury free year :-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'll second that "Here's wishing everyone a happy, injury free year :-)" and the possiblility that some do pull it off ok.

• I started running properly on 9th January 2001, at 2 stone overweight. Did Hastings half marathon in mid March, in 1h 44m after only 10 weeks training. Did further half in 1h 38m in May 2001, then Stockholm Marathon in 4hrs in June 2001.
    Then consecutive half marathons on two consecutive weekends in September 2001 in 1h 36m and 1h 33m, followed by Dublin marathon in October 2001 in 3h 48m.
    My point is, I don't think you can say it is silly to do anything (within reason) as we are all different.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Point taken BTR! You obviously had a fair level of fitness pre 'running properly'. Well done on your achievements!

• I was a twice a week gym man, but had done nothing for a month prior to starting 'properly' in January.
    Was a top 15 in England 1500m runner at age 15 (4mins 14secs), which to be fair might just be relevant, although that was nearly 30 years ago!
  • HillyI take your earlier point butI would like to support any new runners that take up the FLM challenge. In June 2001 I had a kidney removed following 4 years of serious illness. I had never ran races before but 8 months later I completed the 2002 FLM in 5 hours, not fast I know, but I did not find it that hard-Really!! and I enjoyed every minute and raised 2000 pounds for charity. I have a golden bond again to do it this year. Providing you put in sensible training, and respect the distance,I really believe anyone can do it, good luck to everyone
  • Fasntastic stuff Billie!

What time are you hoping to do this year?
  • Iain, Thanks,
    My husband is also doing FLM this year. Training is going well, and hoping for 4.30 - 4.45. I hope to follow the RW pacers, I tried to keep with the 5hr one last year but lost them before I even got over the start line!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Respect! Good luck again this year!
  • Hilly, thanks. and good luck to everyone else running the FLM
  • I'm running for Children with Leukaemia, this will be my 3rd marathon 2nd FLM, I am at the 14 mile long run stage in my trainning at the moment.
    I believe that we all have the chance to meet up prior to the FLM is that true.