Options

London 2006

Comments

• Options
    I'm also joining this thread - tentatively. My current half mara' PB is 1:37 (only done 2) and my first FLM time, this year, wasn't what I'd hoped for but i'd been injured at the crucial stage of my training and I know I can do better if I avoid injury and get the long runs up next time. Before next year's London I'm doing Abingdon and hope to go well under 4 hours for that one.

So, HmJ from what you've said you're not being over ambitious at all. That's easily achievable with the right training and, of course, self belief!
  • Options
    marcymarc24marcymarc24 ✭✭✭
    Me in too...

2004 - 4.15
    2005 - 3.45

I have a half PB of 1.36 which I got at St Neots in Nov 2004. the aim for the summer is to get my 10k PB of 42.21 down.

Note about the McMillan Pace Calculator. Be cautious! My prediction for London was around 3.20 which I didn't even bother with. I thought I prepared pretty well for the race and managed a mere 3.45!

• Options
    Yes i agree - my predicted time for FLM (going on 10k and half times) made me laugh out loud then focus straight back on any kind of sub 4. Was first time - i knew sub 4 was a comfortable aim and because it was my first one i wanted to enjoy the event rather than stress over times etc. But now its time to up the stakes a little i feel!!
    A lot of people posting here are coming up with similar half times 1.30 / 1.40 it seems this is comfortable and according to time predictors we should come in and around 3.30. So is the secret to success more longer regualr running? I did just one 21 miler before the marathon and found then and at FLM that after 15 miles i got slower and slower and slower......
    I am itching to try another marathon (not necessarily FLM) but want to be more prepared as it really took its toll on my legs on April 17TH!!
  • Options
    Can't argue with that as I didn't even get up to 21 miles before I got injured so I also made sure enjoying 1st FLM and running a comfortable race was most important thing. Like I said, get training right and there's no reason why 3:30 can't become a reality. I'd suggest a smaller event marathon before next year's London though, by way of a practice.
  • Options
    And the secret to a faster time isn't just more longer, regular running; it's a mixture of that, interval speework sessions and maybe some hill sessions too to improve strength all on a regular basis. If you're a club runner then you'll already know that.
  • Options
    marcymarc24marcymarc24 ✭✭✭
    HmJ, my 10k time predicted a 3:18 marathon!
    I think a lot depends on how used to are to doing big milage and marathons.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

the more the merrier, we had a scream on this years thread.

Encouragement, adice, motivation, sarcasium, whit, and building of friendships.

Still struggling with injury from this years FLM. Will be aiming for that 3:30 in the Autumn and if I get in next year at FLM.

Enjoy, and go for it:-)
  • Options
    Nice to see so many people up for it. Given all the advice and encouragement we shall all get I am sure we will all be giving it our best shot. Anyone else here doing the St Albans half in June ?
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    would like to 3:30 as its not too far far me, but will probably be away working accross the water to the west..... during June.

What time will you be aiming for.

Planned Races at present

Thame 10K (if back from states) 24 Jun
    Midsummer Munro (Box Hill) 2nd July
    Bristol Half 02 Oct
    Abingdon Marathon 16 Oct

There will be plenty added to that list but not yet booked.

Enjoy:-)
  • Options
    I'm up for it, assuming I get in. I ran 3:38 in the Shakespeare about 10 days ago, so unless they change the GFA criteria I should be OK for a place. I've got a 1:39 half under my belt too, so not too far off the suggested standard.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Thought I'd pop in and say hello. if this is anything like the 2005 sub 3:30 thread you'll have a great time.

This year's thread was a source of great inspiration for me as I attemptd my first marathon. Sub 3:30 was always a long shot for me but with help and encouragement from the other sub 3:30 club I got close to it (3:32).

This year planning to do Cardiff in October. Will obviously try fro a sub 3:30 but really hoping to get closer to 3:15.

• Options
    A quick question - what is the general feeling on 'other' marathons. I appreciate that many people aim for the FLM (and of course this all depends on entry etc) but there are also many other marathons and is it sensible include one in training ( if indeed the ultimate aim is for FLM 2006)

I have heard a lot about the idea of not actually doing the full distance when leading up to a Marathon but on other hand now i have the first one done should i be looking at other options than just FLM.

Please note this is not inteneded to spark of the FLM good/bad 'there are other better marathons'debate etc etc as it has been done in other threads time and time again.

I am thinking that it is more about the way I am approaching things this time. Last year it was my first marathon and more of an event than an all out competitive run. I gave myself a comfortable target and enjoyed the day loads. I guess a 3.30 target ( for me anyhow) will need a slight shift on mental approach??

Any thoughts ?
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Can I join the "tentatives" on this thread? Realistically I think 3.45 may be more achievable, but Mr F has more faith in me and thinks I should aim higher (or lower in terms of time!)

Current PBs are:
    10k - 45:17
    10m - 79:30
    1/2m - 1hr 44:07

Have only returned to more serious running in the last 6-9 months after a few years of injury. Did FLM in 2000, time was 4:23 and was absolute hell because of a bad hip. So I'm not really using that as an indication of what I cam capable of! I think I can improve on my PBs, especially the 1/2m which was quite a hilly course.

My biggest problem will be finding time for training. I have a long commute, which means running mornings or evenings in the week are out. Can do probably no more than 2 lunchtimes (3 at a push), which means making the most of the weekends for the longer stuff. Is four times a week enough for a 3:30? I'm sure I'll need advice from everyone on how to make the best use of the time available.

Oh, and my other problem is injury, as I have a bad achilles at the moment, so am not running at all! But hopefully that will change soon as it appears to be responding to treatment.

But the good news is that I have already been allocated a Golden Bond place with PHAB, so even if I don't get in the ballot I will have a place. And they "only" ask for £950 minimum sponsorship.
  • Options
    Aim higher (or as you say lower) with us! REALISTICALLY I would be looking at 3.45 if i wanted to be comfortable but what the hell - whats another 15 minutes between friends... or marathons...!!

Well done for securing place for FLM - i am going for ballot but if not place with same charity as this year. Would be getting sponsorship anyway but its nice not to have the pressure.

• Options
    I am thinking of following the RW ultimate marathon schedule for sub 3.30, any thoughts?
  • Options
    RaquelRaquel ✭✭✭
    Hello, can I join in ? I had hoped for a sub 3.30 FLM this year but struggled round in 3.42. I ran 3.29 at Lake Vyrnwy in 2003 so I know I've got it in me but I've had some disappointing races this year. I'm planning to run as I feel for the next few months, then start getting back into some serious training over the summer and autumn before I get going on the old marathon schedule again. I do all of my training on my own (mainly because I have to go out at the crack of dawn most days) so it'll be great to have people to share all the ups and downs with on this thread !
  • Options
    Leighton - I'll probably follow the ultimate sub3:30 from this site. I used the sub3:45 this year and got 3:38, and it seemed to work for me in terms of structure and style - since the 3:30 is very similar, just a few more miles and a little quicker, I'm keen to stick with something tried and tested.

How often do the GFA times get revised? And by how much? I think it's unlikely that the women's would jump from 3:45 to 3:35 or 3:30, but I'll be gutted if it does.
  • Options
    hi everyone - count me in for 3:30. Have done the FLM twice now and been v disappointed with performance both times (4:07 and 4:16). I believe I should be capable of 3:30 as 10K PB is 42:48 - I guess my training must be wrong. This year I followed Hal Higdon's advanced 1 schedule but legs packed in after 16 miles!

Going to do Abingdon in October in case I don't get into FLM!
  • Options
    Welcome aboard, FF. Similar times to you but if you can do sub 45 in 10k then I don't see reason why can't get 3.30 with right training. Also doing Abingdon.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Dont worry FF, I have done London 3 times and had dissapointing races each time, but in smaller events such as the New Forest and Kingston (Surrey) I have faired much better.

You like me suggest time wise should do better - but its converting it..... thats the hard pard, but where motivation and endurance kick in, you can doit, and hopefully I can too (when I stop piling on the pounds because I cant run for a few more days yet due to my ankle... I'll soon be there though, cant wait coz Im missing it....

Enjoy:-)
  • Options
    Your ankle still bad, RFJ - hrd luck, man - hope it's better soon.

Got a short triathlon on saturday then going to do my first 20 miler since London on Sunday - feeling really apprehensive! Sure/hope(!) I won't have lost much endurance - have been running at least 20miles a week since London (which is less than 3 weeks ago!), with a fast (for me) 10k and a fast, hilly 5 miler (c6:30 pace) on Tuesday. First run of over 40mins tonight - just under an hour at 7:50 pace.
  • Options
    Actually, having seen the homepage story today, I will definitely do the Shakespeare Marathon if I dont get into FLM next year. someone will hold me to that now I realise!
  • Options
    thought this could do with a jolly good "BOING!"
  • Options
    Did ok in short tri yesterday (MONSTER hailstorm on the bike bit, as well as being drafted on the uphill, into the wind section by two guys who clearly don't know the rules), but ran pretty well (4.2 miles in about 29 mins) - then my first LSR of the new campaign today - 20 miles in just over 2hrs 34mins - felt ok until 18, then legs started to feel a bit heavy - maybe not surprising after yesterday.

Anyone here doing Leeds half next weekend? Anyone done any LSRs this weekend?
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    3:30 is my aim for 2006 too.

Previous: 3:43 in 2003 and 3:41 in 2004. I deferred by GFA entry this year because of an ongoing chest infection but getting back to fitness now. Does anyone know when I will hear about my entry for 2006? I deferred about 3 weeks before the marathon date.

Any training advice welcomed.

• Options
    Right sod it!

Tried it in 2004 and failed due to gut issues. 3:43.
    Got a half PB of 1:28 so god damn I am going to do it next year!

You can count me in!!!!!
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Well I am in NYC (again) this year so I rekon if I go for 3:45 I on this hilly route I should be well on course.
  • Options
    Hello. Problems already for me!! I have to confess to being fairly lazy since FLM and have completed no runs longer than 3 miles although i have kept up with circuit training and speed sessions ( sort of ish) ANYWAY the problems is my kneees. They are still sore. They were (understandably) sore the week or two staright after but I had not noticed them as they no longer ached when walking. Then last night i decided to get going again and set off for my usual 40 min pre dinner run and was in agony not 2 miles down the road. This had happened before but i thought it should be better by now! The pain is exactly the pain i had in the last agonising 6 miles of the Marathon.

PLease someone tell me this will get better!!!!!

• Options
    It will get better! But you need to rest them, not run if it's painful. Icing them at least a couple of times a day for 10 mins will also help take swelling down. If it's still painful after a few days then see a physio as it could be that you have weak quads which aren't supporting the knee(s) properly.

I had similar probs after Flora half so I'm speaking from experience!
  • Options
    Thanks, I know i need to rest as i have been for 3 nearly 4 weeks now but i cant help feel that i should be able to exploit my post marathon fitness to get out some really good 10k / half times but yet i feel all the hard work slipping away!!
    Exactly how long does it take to lose fitness?? I get stressed i will completely lose the ability within a couple of weeks!!

I , of course, know this is not true but theoretically i should be the fitest i have ever been yet i cant capitalise on this at all cos of dodgy knees!

Oh well patience is a virue ( or so Im told...)