London 2006

Comments

• I'm beginning to think I might be in the wrong thread actually, having read a few responses. The training and racing times people are giving, and some of the weekly mileage and number of sessions, seem a bit unacheivable for me, even allowing for the fact that I have almost a year to go. Is going from 3:38 at the Shakespeare this year to sub-3:30 at FLM'06 too much?
  • Hello all. Back from a week in the sun near Gerona - very hot (28 degrees) so my resolve to run a 20 miler to get over last week's debacle crumbled into one 3.4mile jog with mrs andy one morning!

Never mind - just back from a steady 15 miles in 1:55, with a negative split, so feeling ok about Blackpool in a couple of weeks.

One fly in the ointment - I'm supposed to be doing the great Yorkshire Bike Ride next Saturday, which is 68 mies of (admittedly slow, easy) cycling - can't decide whether to do it or not. can't imagine it'll take too much out of me, but I'd hate to blow a decent time because of a daft bike ride.

Katie S - I'm certain 8 mins off your PB is entirely achievable - but I guess it depends on how stretched you were to run 3:38 - I think the key thing is whether you've got the basic speed - you've obviously got the endurance. what're your 'normal' 10k or half mara times like? If you run halves reasonably regularly and never get under 1:45 then it may be tough to get under 3:30, but if you can run sub 1:40 ok then I'm sure some long runs andsome good quality speed sessions will see you right.
  • Andy:
    Well, I did 3:38 this year at the Shakespeare, which RW seemed to think was a challenging day (hot, and an undulating course, and 6 miles along an uneven limestone/gravel track to finish), but I actually found it pretty comfortable and enjoyable almost all the way - I never hit the wall, and had sickeningly perfect negative splits for 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 miles!
    I also did a 20 mile race this year, the Muscular Dystrophy Bury, in freezing conditions (0 degrees, snow on the ground and ice on the course), and again RW calls it a challenging course, in 2:39, which is by my calculations the same pace I'd need for 3:30 in a marathon.

I've only done 3 halves - 1:45, 1:43 and 1:39 in that order, and my last 3 10Ks (all in 2005) have been very consistent at 45 minutes and some seconds.

So, what do people think? Should I rein in my ambition for 3:30 for another year or two rather than set myself up for overtraining and disappointment? I've only been running for 2 1/2 years and race maybe 8-12 times a year, so I don't really have the experience yet to know whether I'm being realistic with the amount of improvement I could expect.

• I'd think 3:30's well within your reach, Katie - with a 3:38 already you'll be a GFA woman, so you can be confident of a reasonable start, so I shouldn't think you'll have too much trouble.

Mind you - as I've found twice this year one day is never like another - I've run the fastest two halves I've ever done this year (taking 8mins off PB), a 3:23 marathon, , I've done lots of miles, speedwork, hills, track sessions and I've still bonked hideously on two occasions! Thankfully it wasn't on 17 April!

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.
  • You can join me Katie in achieving your target as I am definitely aiming for 3.30 (or as near as) and your times are very similar to mine over most of your distances. I also ran the Bury 20 in Feb in those conditions and came in as you in 2.39! Must have followed each other round. Also your half maro's read almost identical to mine and your marathon times (did 3.39 in London this year). I think I need to work on more speed work over the next 12 months to get 3.30 as I can tell from my 10k times (which don't seem to improve!), that some work is needed there. I did not do high mileage for London this year (less than 30 miles pw on average) but still managed a respectful time.Did do some good, quality sessions which I think carried me round on the day tho'. Did feel this year that 3.30 was in my sights but due to other things I had on in the run up to London, these impacted on my tiredness over the last 3-4 miles and cost me!It's still early days so I would stick to your target and then see how you feel around Christmas and you can re-assess. Not done much at all over the last month due to an impending house and job move and a course end date to meet so not really a good example at the mo! A recreational runner at present but should get back into proper training in August. Keep it up!
  • thanks 90 mins, thought no-one was impressed with me crashing the thread!
    20 mile runs seem a long way off, i am struggling getting back into it all at the moment and the extra stone I appear to be carrying since last year isn't helping...
  • Another PB bites the dust! A local summer road league 5 miler last night - 31:26, which is about 4 mins off my (admittedly pretty old - there's not many 5 mile races!) PB for the distance - and what's particularly pleasing is that suggests a sub-40 10k should be achievable in the fairly near future - especially as part of last night's race was on a roughish dirt track.

Night off tonight and tomorrow, long steady bike ride then a couple of brisk ones next week before Blackpool on 19/6.

Anyone out for a long one this weekend?
  • Hello all, can I join too?

I am currently working in New Zealand but will be back in Blighty at the end of the summer and ready to go for a 3:30 in London next year, with a 3:41 under my belt from Dublin last year. Alas, immediately after that I went travelling and I've basically been sitting on my bum for the last 8 months, give or take a half-hearted half-marathon or two (1:46 with a couple of 13 mile runs and no speed work whatsoever), so I'm going to go for it in training when I get back. Get fired up just thinking about it!!
  • Hi all

I started this thread sdo I hope I dont fall off !!

I am having a bit of a nightmare at the the moment - havent run over 8 miles for a month. Currently averaging 8:15 miles in training, only one half so far this year at Fleet in 1:47.

Have St Albans Sunsay which I know will be 1:50 ish - maybe the wake up call I need to get stuck into my training. I want to be running Bedford Half in Dec in sub 1:38.

All encouragement gratefully accepted !!
  • May I join too!

Am running Budapest Marathon in October, where I hope to finish in sub 3.30.

Already managed 3.43 in Amsterdam last October, will that mean that I'll definitely get into London next year? I can't bear the thought of all the training to not get in for another year running.

Under 3.45 is a GFA time, but is that a definite place?
  • Moose: As long as they don't change the GFA criteria (which they have done in the past, so no guarantees) then you'll get in with 3:43 - you have to send proof off (I'm pretty sure they'll let women submit half marathon times too, but not sure) - but I guess as much proof that you're a decent runner the better - and then I understand you're in.

Good luck!
  • 3:30 or bust - I'm planning on doing the Bedford Half too, maybe I'll see you there :-)
  • KatieS

Our club colours are quite stand out-ish they are orange and blue quarter vests - used to be white with a blue hoop but afer a few pints of Guinness after the Dublin marathon we came up with the colours we have now, Quite a change !
  • St Albans half in 1:53:42 - a PW

No trouble getting round but I have not done a half since Feb and the furthest I have done since is 8.

Must up the training - miles wise and speed wise. I have a real ambition to do 3:30 at London so must buckle down.

Anyone else here at the race ?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Katie/Andrea/Jen,

Like you I am going for 3:30 this year. I have done 2 marathons, both London - 3hr43 in 2003 and 3hr41 in 2004. I have a half PB of 1hr36 but my quickest 10k is about 48 (although I did the first 10k of a half marathon quicker than that!). I deferred my entry this year after a chest infection over Christmas lingered on and left me relying on an inhaler. I'm hoping to get the breathing better in the next few months.

It'll be good to keep up with peoples times etc and hope I can keep up with them!
  • Yep, I'm raring to go now! Can someone make a post when the entry forms come out? I'll have to send my mother out to a running shop to pick one up...although the closing date for entries is when? October?

A friend I was running with last year - he was always a bit faster than me as he had a PB of 3:33 - has just run a 3:06 in the Edinburgh Marathon, on the back of several months of Yasso 800s at a time of, you guessed it, 3 min 6 secs each. Spooky! I know which speed session I'll be doing when I get home, that's for sure!
  • Jen M

Can you explain what Yasso 800's are and how they atr linked to yourfriends finish time in the Marathon ?
  • RJF, I will see you at the start line on the 16th October, just working on my training program for the next 18 weeks.

AA, Good luck in New York, I nave not been around for a while but have kept up with the training but at a much slower pace now it's time to think about Abingdon.

• Blackpool mara on Sunday - have found myself some 3;15 chums to have a run round with - weather looks ok, but not feeling too confident as I don't feel like I've really trained that effectively for this one - still, the basic endurance should still be there...
  • Guys,
    I see a few of you have done Dublin, how did ye find the course time wise?
    eg is it easier to do a good time in Dublin than in London or harder?

3:30, those yasso 800s are I think if you can do 8x800 at a average of 3min 6 secs or whatever time then that is the time you can do the marathon in in hours and mins, it doesn't have to be 8 though just more than a few..

one link is:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,5033,s6-51-0-0-624,00.html
  • GM, good to see your around. Glad your training's going ok.

andy, good luck for sunday - can't wait to here all about it. You'll be 3;15 for sure. Hope the weather's kind for you./
  • daveM 2, I've done Dublin twice now and love it. Haven't done London yet (2006 here I come though!) so can't compare but I'd say it's easier in Dublin as there are far fewer people to contend with (about 8000 last year). Basically flat with a few minor slopes (let's not call them hills!) but nothing to worry about. And it's on a monday so you get to take the day off work.
  • thanks jen, from Dublin so it's a bank hol for me anyway but all sounds good...
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Jen - Yassoos are great!

Doing my 3rd marathon this Sunday. Very poor regime of training since the Taunton Marathon in April and a weather forecast that is HOT. I can see a new PW coming my way...
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Likewise Geoff, see you there at Abingdon. Just consolidated 3 weeks of base trg in the states where I was working - the heat was awesome which made for am or pm workouts only.

Now for some good build up maraton trg for Abingdon have a few races in the next couple of weeks including

Thame 10k next Sunday
    Midsummer Munro 1/2mar Jul 2

Looking forwards to your report 90mins (weather will no doubt play a big part).

Enjoy:-)
  • Am so looking forward to getting back to Blighty and doing some proper training. Nights are drawing in fast here and it's bloody cold and rainy, so motivation for running isn't high at the moment, especially with nothing to work towards in the next few months.... very jealous of you all.
  • Although I would highly recommend NZ for a visit if you've never been... just wish they would build houses with insulation, double glazing and central heating like at home!!
  • RJF, what races do you intend running in, in the buildup to abingdon
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    As forecast, a new PW yesterday, 3:41.

It was very hot & fairly humid, I'm very glad that FLM is in April, don't feel the need for another hot marathon right now!

Full report on yesterday's daily training thread (in the training forum) for anyone who wants the gory details...
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    90 mins, well battled and very brave, thats a great run in those conditions.

GeoffM - I am doing Bristol Half 2 weeks before on 2 Oct (booked before commiting to Abingdon)

Other than that have nothing planned yet, I have looked at a few but have not found too many 20m during that time, so may end up doing several halfs with long warm ups or run alone...... or club depending on club races/events.

What are your plans - we may be able to meet up at a couple of races or even long runs on the odd occasion!

Enjoy:-)