Options

London 2006

Comments

• Options
    As expected (given 30 degree heat and a 40 minute delay at the start) I got nowhere near 3:15 at Blackpool - in fact really quite proud of myself for getting round in 3:44. An utter, utter nightmare - 2 minutes under schedule at 10 miles then walking by 13! Really dug in to carry on walk/running, before a burst of energy andf the shame of running over 3:45 dragged a 7:30 last mile (and a 6:22 paced last 0.2 miles!) out of me.

As of yesterday that was it for marathons for me apart from london - take a chance on the ballot, a club place or do the charidee thang again - but now I'm just wondering about giving cardiff a bash in October - but would that be soon enough for a GFA entry? wasn't 8 October cu-off this year?
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well done Andy as with 90 mins a great time considering the conditions, as reading a few reports it seems that there was little water on offer and long distances between water stations.... well done.

Couldn't tell you about the cut off though....have not got a clue, sorry.
  • Options
    Hello - I'm Anna and I'm new here! I posted in the sub 3.45 target and then I thought - what the . . . lets aim to muscle in with that 3.30 lot! I've just completed my first marathon in Edinburgh in 3.44.42. Before that the longest I had raced was the 10 mile Great South Run in October last year. I was hoping for a sub 4 so to make sub 3.45 I was absolutely over the moon not to mention dumb struck!! (Not least because I'm about a stone and a half over my optimum running weight!). In truth I've only just stopped my gratuitous medal wearing.

Hopefully my time means that I'll have no problem qualifying for the 'Good for Age' category in the FLM 2006 - in which case it would seem churlish not to run! In fact i'm really excited already!

Been taking it easy and pretty much recovered now without injury and looking forward to getting back into it! Really want to drop a few pounds by the time I run London but i find it such a struggle losing weight even when running 40+ miles a week - why IS that?! Guess I'm just destined to be a big piece! Have a 5k at the weekend - a race for life in Richmond so just a fun jog with the girls!

Anyway - I've turned into a bit of a running bore - and none of my friends are really runners so can't really share my enthusiasm - 10k being their limit, so it's good to see this little gathering here and all this running talk!

Anyhooo - thank for the inspiration guys! Hopefully some of you more experienced runners can guide me on my wobbly way! Anna
  • Options
    Re: the weight thing Anna, for me it's due to the extra carbs I have to take on board to run properly. All those energy drinks mean you don't lose much weight - or so I gather ('cos I'm a short-arsed 45kg!).

One way of preventing that of course is just drinking water, at least on any runs under, say, 10 miles. And stay away from the energy bars except on race days. Works for me!

But well done on your run in Edinburgh anyway - that's a fantastic time for a first marathon, especially on that course. I live there, and ran that one last year, although I gather the bloody great hill over the first mile last year - Arthur's Seat - wasn't a feature this time. Did you still run up the Royal Mile?
  • Options
    On the weight thing, I have a similar issue, I seem to need a sport drink and an energy bar straight after a run and one an hour later to keep me from getting dizzy.
    As Jen says this doesn't help with weight loss but with just water I feel weak all day and can't function.
    anyone have other ideas for replacing fuel lost in most efficient way?
  • Options
    I sometimes get dizzy after runs just because I'm dehydrated and I always just drink (a lot of) water after a run - I can't stomach any more sweet energy drinks after a long run anyway. So maybe the dizziness would go away just drinking water? Try to drink something else after a run instead (how about orange squash or one of those spotrs waters - a few calories and a bit of sugar but not nearly as much as an energy drink) and see if the dizziness still goes away.

I certainly try to stay away from too many energy bars as I try to get my carbs from my diet rather than supplements or anything too artificial - try a bowl of Frosties or something after a run maybe? Energy bars certainly have their place but I would only eat them sparingly. But I guess whatever works for you! It's difficult trying to get the balance right (between enough carbs in and expending enough calories so you lose weight but are still able to run efficiently).
  • Options
    Panic panic - I've just read in another thread that people believe the GFA standards will be lowered this year..... anyone know anything about this? If they move the goal posts now that I've got under 3:45 I'm going to scream as I wouldn't have time to run an Autumn marathon to try for any new GFA standard (if it happens and whatever that may be). Please someone tell me that they haven't lowered the GFA limit?!
  • Options
    Hello and thanks for the advice Jen re weight - I shall give that a try. And of course the truth is I do love my food plus I'm not adverse to the odd marathon of the wine drinking kind, so I know how I could make positive changes.

Lucky you living in Edinburgh, I like to visit lots - I used to live in Glasgow and fancy myself as a bit of an honorary scot. We ran down Princes street but not the royal mile I don't think . . . didn't see so much of the city actually but was glad to get away with not running up Arthurs seat - I wouldn't have scarped my sub 3.45 with that I think!

Talking of which I'm really nervous now about the GFA thing - have been thinking its a sure thing YIKES! I will be seriously gutted if its lowered. Going to look it up now - which forum did you read it on?
  • Options
    It's on the FLM forum - the Sub 3:15 London 2006 thread. Panic panic.... hopefully they're just pessimists!

I think of myself as an honorary Scot too (but still English through and through) - I'm from Surrey but went to uni in Edinburgh 6 years ago and never left!
  • Options
    Seems just like wild speculation to me though makes me very nervous! Going to be optimistic and assume that I've made the standard. Rather puts a dampner on my previous elation and boasting to my mates! If the worst comes to the worst I'll just have to find another way to get in - I'm determined I should run it.

The charity route is very daunting though - I raised quite a bit in the last year through various sponsorship - but still would have been £500 short of the amount required for my chosen charity. I couldn't do it all again (and then some) as I'd be asking the same people who were super generous before as I was running a first marathon.

Looking forward to getting my running shoes back on and into the park tonight - be my first proper run (over 40 mins) since my marathon. Been trying to stay off feet as knee was a bit sore but I feel sluggish and ready to go!
  • Options
    Yay! i got a photo up! this is me on my sports day when I was 5. I was the very last by a long long way. I HATED sport as I was utterly rubbish at it. Little uncoordinated and slow slow slow. Wasn't until I was a bit older when they started doing cross country that I wasn't considered a complete write off! i remember my P.E. teacher being adamant that I'd missed a lap of the school field as he couldn't believe that I'd finished the course! hee hee

Friday afternoons at work . . . yawn.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Abigdon Marathon starts Monday for Abingdon.

I have now booked / got the following races

26/06 - Thame 10K
    02/07 - Midsummer Munro 1/2mar
    16/07 - Hook Norton 6 (if I can get off work)
    20/07 - Waddesdon 5k
    07/08 - Milland Valley 1/2mar
    20/08 - Mbrace Runners Quest 1/2mar
    11/09 - Witney 10 (Cotswolds classic)
    18/09 - Dunstable Downs 20m
    02/10 - Bristol 1/2mar
    16/10 - Abingdon Marathon

A few others will sneek in for the club champs etc.

May be see a few of you at the above races, take care and Enjoy:-)
  • Options
    wow RFJ - look at all those races! I plodded along on a 5k with my mate yesterday and it seems my knee is still knackered from my marathon. Gutted. Stairs are something of a challenge today. No racing planned for me BOO!
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    TK, take care and RICE it, sorry to hear it, but if it is still causing problems then try and seek proffessional help from a physio or the like.

Dont rush back, get it right then plan your goals. Even the best laid plans can go for a walk......
  • Options
    I concur. Stay off the knee until you can walk with no pain. Simple and common-sensical but effective rule to follow I reckon, which I learned (painfully and slowly) last year. If you can't stand or walk on it with no pain then running isn't going to be any easier. I always find that the worst bit about running is trying to sum up the motivation to get out the door (once I'm out there I'm fine) but no sooner do you get injured than you're itching to get out running and will try to do so at all costs. Typical. I'd just sit on the sofa and eat crisps for now.

I'm still panicking about the GFA rumours - although I suppose there are always other big city marathons in the spring to aim for if the gits do lower the standard. When's Paris anyone? Or Amsterdam? Both fast and flat I believe...
  • Options
    If its still giving you grief now after all this time I don't think resting and staying off is going to do the trick.
    Get yourself down to a physio ASAP and see what they have to say. It might be something simple that they can sort in a few days/weeks. At least you will know what it is.
    I had an issue with my knee a few years back where there was a serious imbalance in the muscle outside to inside and the knee cap had moved outward.
    I needed someone to point it out and then once I got the exercises it got better within a few weeks. Resting wouldn't have done me any good!

Best Of luck
  • Options
    It was the Edinburgh marathon a couple of weeks ago rather than the FLM so it hasn't been long at all. Not too worried about it yet but I'll get myself to a physio soon if the rest doesn't help. thanks for all the advice though guys. Feel like I'm getting fat and losing fitness. Nightmare!
  • Options
    Ah the joys of being a running addict.
    When your fit you don't wanna go, you get injured you can't think of anything else!
  • Options
    40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    The GFA criteria certainly need a good look at, they are mighty unfair to us MV49s - how do they expect me to run sub 3:15? Wouldn't be on this thread if I could do that, would I?
  • Options
    Ooh, I don't mind if they raise the men's one... as long as they don't lower the women's 18-49 one until 2007! Ho hum. Agree with you though - it does seem a bit harder to get the men's standard than the women's, although - and this is just from my own personal observation having run all my marathons seemingly surrounded by blokes - they may make it that way as a lot more men seem to run marathons and so it would follow that more men could achieve that standard? What does anyone else think? I personally don't know many women who would run under 3:45, but I know several men who would be close to or under 3:15.
  • Options
    I must admit that the descrepancy between the men and women's GFA time does seem massive - that a man my age would need to make sub 3 hours - 45 minutes faster than me seems crazy. I know the bigger hearts bigger lungs malarkey but that seems a disproportionate difference. I'm in the same boat as Jen though - if they raise the standard for women I'm in trouble - as it is I scraped a sub 3.45 with 19 seconds to spare (thank goodness I decided against that loo stop!) so if they lower it to 3.30 I'd be gutted.
  • Options
    The women's GFA is meant to be easier to achieve than the mens, because historically, marathon entry is dominated by men, and so they want to encourage and enable as many women as possible to get in to try and get the proportions a little more even. It *is* biased towards women - that is the whole point. Unfair maybe, but looking at the big picture, it is supposed to bring more women into distance running. After all, not all that long ago it was believed that women were simply incapable of running 26.2 miles at all.

Maybe they'll move it to 3:40 for women, which is what it is for the youngest age group for Boston?
  • Options
    even if they lowered it by one minute to 3.44 I'd be in trouble! EEEK!
  • Options
    Yes, my feeling is that if they lower the women's standard it'll be only by five mins or so... but that's no good for me (3:41) and you Twinkle is it? Argh. Do you at least have time to go for any new standard in an autumn marathon? As I don't - I'll only be getting back any semblance of fitness in the autumn after my 10 months of travelling... woe is me!

Glad to hear (for my sake anyway) that it IS biased towards women. Not sure it's working though I have to say as even when I ran 3:41 I was surrounded by men... must look up the stats for the Dublin and Edinburgh marathons and see what the ratio is of men to women...
  • Options
    OOo - 10 months of travelling - lucky you!!! Go anywhere 'nice'?

Really don't think that I could try for a new one in the Autumn - not sure am up to getting straight back into training from the last one and then start it all again for FLM even if I DID make a better time. My knee isn't great and my body wants a gentler time! Also have all sorts planned through the summer right through to a two week holiday in September and just don't know when I could get all those killer long runs in. Think I'm going to try not to think about it now until LFM announce it and then consider my options . . . .

LET'S BE OPTIMISTIC!!!
  • Options
    The last marathon I ran had 673 finishers, and only 132 of those were women. Only 16 of those 132 women finished under 3:45, but only 12 out of 541 men managed under 3 hours, so I guess that supports the whole GFA idea that a lot less women run marathons than men, and that of those women that do, more will achieve GFA.

Right now I can't even imagine doing a marathon. I'm only running 25-30 miles a week right now, focusing a lot on speed for upcoming 5Ks and 5 milers, so I've pretty much abandoned the weekend long run altogether, and instead I'm doing a couple of midlength 6-8 milers each week, a recovery run whenever I need it and 2 or 3 speed sessions a week, either intervals, tempo or fartlek. I'm hoping that with all this focus on speed, that when I get back to endurance work again in the Autumn that I'll be able to keep a bit of that speed and stand more chance of faster times at the longer distances. I know I've got the basic endurance to run marathons, but if I'm to stand any chance of sub 3:30 I need to pick up the pace...
  • Options
    Twinkle - I was in China, Vietnam, Australia and now New Zealand. Have been working here in Christchurch for 6 months and while looking forward to getting back to Blighty in August I have had an amazing time. It's been a good break from proper running too as I'm raring to go when I get back!

I'm trying to be optimistic too, but also realising that it could change so I'm not too disappointed if it does. Anyone up for Paris or Rotterdam instead if it does?!

Katie - How many of the men finished under 3:15 though, as that's the GFA limit up to age 49 isn't it? The women's GFA covers everyone from 18-49 but the men's is sub-3:00 for 18-40 years old and sub 3:15 for those up to 49. So there's really only 30 mins difference and with those ages taken into account I'd say the amount of men up to 49 reaching standard would be higher. I think!
  • Options
    I see I good few of the 2005 group has made its way over here - Hiya Always, Geoff, Andy from E and RFJ and that was only in the last 2 pages. Must admit I've not decided on whether to apply for next year or not. I certainly won't be going the charity route (too much risk/hard work) and as I've not yet reached the big 4-Oh a GFA place is also out of the question.

Geoff, RFJ - I've also entered Abingdon, had to do something to put my FLM nightmare behind me and give me something to work for.
  • Options
    Hiya Rob

I'm considering Abingdon, but as I'm doing New York 3 weeks later not sure if it would be a good idea!!

As for the GFA converation, I'd be in trouble as my time is 3h40.24!! Would be typical though, but fingers crossed.
  • Options
    3.30 - well perhaps?

I'v done 3 marathons now - 5.13, 4.47, 4.28.

would love to aim for 3.30 at London next year - am I being too ambitious.