London 2006

Comments

• I'm not sure Ian, potentially yes. But potentially no!

My first marathon was 3:53, then I had a slight blip in the next one due to injuries and did 4:21 and then ran 3:41 in my last one, and I'm just now aiming for 3:30. I think I can get 3:15 in the next year or two but my next goal is the 3:30, and I feel it's acheivable, for me anyway. A whole hour is a huge chunk of time to take off your PB, but I suppose it depends on how hard you trained when you ran 4:28 - did you train properly (i.e. steadily building up over several months, with at least a couple of long runs over 18 miles and running maybe 4 or 5 times a week) or did you just wing it?
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    GFA - I'm not having a go at the softer targets for ladies as this is sensible if they are going to make decent use of the elite start.

My problem is the very wide age groups for men. For 41-59 we are expected to do sub 3:15. While this might be OK for 41-45 it does seem far too tough for 50-59!

I accept that my PB of 3:23 is not that great for MV48, but if I can hold sub-3:30 for 2 years I would like to think that it was a good performance for a 50 year old.

• Think i might just set myself this rather optimistic target. Only ran one race before (Edinburgh Marathon 2005) and completed in 4hr 30min. I did not really train as much as i should have, blew up at 20 miles but thoroughly enjoyed myself. Got a half marathon scheduled in for August (second race). So presently training for the half, will see how i get on and take it from there.
  • 4.30 down to 3.30 ??????

An hour off my PB is a hefty chunk. However although I enjoy running I never seem to get the time. Generally I get out only once a week for about 2 hours or so.

With a proper training plan it is probably a realistic target. But how to find the time???? Anyone want to sign a petition for a 25 hour day!!!!

Mojo – mile 20 at Edinburgh, ye I hit the wall there too – that was some hill!!!
  • I'm hoping for the same, flm2004 4:27 but my last 1/2 was 1:36, so here goes lets hope we all get in.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings,

great way to start marathon trg, Injured, went over on my ankle last night on a easy run. Had to cancel race today, really hacked off now..........

Resting today, will reassess tomorrow....

• RFJ, hang in there...
  • Been a few years since I got below 3.30, but why not.

Cut back on the drink, stop eating rubbish, train harder, become totally dedicated.................what the hell...3.40 seems good enough
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Cheers AA, hopefully will be out on the roads again soon, went out on bike and did some swimming as well.

Go for it Steve, welcome

Enjoy:-)
  • To those wishing to go from 4:30 to 3:30 - by all means go for it and we'll all cheer you on, but if you can't commit to the training it ain't gonna happen, unless you happen to be blessed with huge amounts of natural stamina and speed. Which most of us don't.

To be honest, I'd set an intermediate goal of running, say, under 4 hours, and see how that goes. I'm convinced that I will be able to run a between 3 hours and 3:15 or even faster at some point in the future, but for now I'm going for the 3:30 (having already run 3:41) and I'll re-evaluate once I've done that - perhaps you should do the same?
  • On the other hand, I clearly don't know everything or I'd be richer and faster than I am now, so probably safe enough to ignore everything I just said :-) Keep us posted on how you get on!
  • I took 1:15 off my 5K PB yesterday :-) And that was after one (six?!) too many G&Ts the night before!
  • GD - it was 20:09 - still not all that impressive, but I only run one 5K a year, the Cambridge Cancer Research Race for Life, so I'm glad to have improved since last year. I'm tempted to find a decent 5K road race now just so I can get under 20 minutes - RFL is mostly offroad, and kneelength grass and deep muddy ruts set solid by the sun kind of slow you down a bit!
  • 6secs better than my PB at Wroxham last week well done.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Thats a good time KatieS, dont knock your self.

On the training side Im now training for my 7th marathon and strated off with a 4:03, my fastest being my 4th at 3:40, hence my wish to get under 3:30, its hard work for 16 weeks as Jen says, Im still trying to find the perfect plan for me. All the race predictors state that I should have no problem in sub 3:30, but I lack in the last 6 miles, have yet to find the magic touch despite all the hrad work......

Hang in there though work hard and you will be rewarded in some manner from your training, that I believe...

Managed a short run today to test the ankle - no reaction yet.....

• Hello all - no running this weekend but achieved another personal milestone by riding my bike over Hardknott Pass in the lakes - about a mile and a half climbing from about 250' above sea level to 1250' - with sections of slightly steeper than 1 in 3. Gnarly. Marathon training gives you strong legs!

Back to speed work this week - Preston 10k on Sunday.
  • Hmm. Well, encouraged by all your talk of 5k PBs and the best way to train for a 3:30 marathon, I spent a tough evening sitting on the sofa eating NZ Dairy Milk (almost as good as the Irish stuff!), watching "When Good Pets Go Bad", with my only exercise being shivering to keep warm. Phew.

Today? Well, I'm mainly be sleeping, as my bloke has developed the charming habit of waking up 90 mins before his alarm goes off in the morning - I know this because he wakes me up to ask me the time, and then falls immediately back into a deep sleep, leaving me to stare at the ceiling and twiddle my thumbs until I can get up for work and spend the day tap tap tapping numbers into a database. Argh. Only 9 more working days to go and then I'm off, back to the UK in August and 3 weeks later, when I've recovered from the jet-lag, I might give this running malarkey a go... jealous? Moi?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Enjoy it Jen.....

Good to see you posting Andy,

Bikes arent my favourite mode of transport after today.....

On private road at work, just after the rain, ran out of corner with wheels slipping on the tarmac, legs finished up rest on large tree whilstrest of me was in a mess in amongst the nettles and hedges, managed to get up and walk / bike away, but in the shock didnt realise that my glasses had come off. Went back to look for them later, no joy.

Arm is still burning from the nettles, but glad, as it could have been alot worse............ (icould have hit the tree and caused lasting damage to it................

Enjoy, train hard and race hard to get stronger and stronger.
  • Ouch... poor you, RFJ!

I'm continuing my punishing schedule tonight by participating in a table quiz, complete with pizza and beer...

A training partner/coach at home made the mistake of suggesting he thinks of capable of running a 3:10 in FLM next year (given several months of proper training of course)... and of course now I'm more angsty than ever. What the hell ARE you supposed to aim for when you don't know what you're capable of? Especially given the advice I doled out above about setting intermediate goals when trying to take huge chunks off your marathon time...argh.
  • Blimey RFJ - you done something wrong in a past life? First you fall over a bottle at FLM and now you crash your bike!

Hope you're not too sore!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Shaken but not stirred.............

Got rid of all the stress last night with a 3.9m race, (A local series) finished in a time of 25:52 so happy with that.

Take care and enjoy
  • Another PB bites the duct, but not quite what I'd hoped for - just back from the Preston 10k - another 40 secs or so off the PB, but missed the sub-40 I was hoping for by 20 seconds or so. Not a PB course though - hilly, including one steep little monkey you run up twice, and lots of twists and turns.

Have now found chum (bloke across road) to do FLM 06 with, so will definitely be there next year - 3:15 here we come!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well ran Andy, what time did you get?

Enjoy your training with your new friend.

Did my longest run since london today 12m in the heat - suffered big style, as did others from club did it in 1:39.

• No official results yet, but will be within a few seconds of 40:19, which was my watch time.

Sub 40 was never on, really, with a tricky uphill finish, but I'm now fairly confident I'll crack it before the end of the summer.
  • Official results out now - 40:23.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Keep working like that and you will break 40 mins, I have only done it twice a few years back and the feeling is great.
  • Hello peeps! Nice to see some familiar names posting here - RFJ, Andy from E, AA...

Just thought I'd say hello. Back in proper training now for Cardiff in October (and hoping to lose 6 mins and slip under the 3:30 barrier). I'd love to get in through the ballot for the FLM again in 2006, but we shall see.

Andy from E - great 10K time! You'll go sub-40 no problem on a flat course and 3:15's looking pretty tasty too, I reckon.

RFJ - you're due some good fortune soon. Be careful out there ;-)
  • Err bit new to this thread thing...Aiming to go 3:30 in 2005 LM, but buggered my knee before race day (fell off a climbing wall).

So gonna try again with the New York...

S'my first marathon - any tips?

When my knee works, 10ks are sub 40min and half marathon 1h 41m is my best...

Havent trained for three weeks bcse my knee has pinged again. Anybody got any tips for holding my joints together long enough to run 26 miles?
  • Steve,

Sounds like you've been in the wars a bit! Did you see someone about your knee? Get any stretches to help strengthen it etc?

My advice re: training for the 26.2 would be to let your knee recover completely just now (and get whatever help you need to do that properly), then start gentle training early and build very slowly up in mileage and speed. Hopefully building very gradually will ensure you remain injury-free.

I personally find it hard to handle too much speedwork while increasing mileage each week. If anything has to give (and let's hope it's not your knee) I would avoid speedwork if it puts too much pressure on your joints, and concentrate on building mileage and ensuring you get at least a couple of quality long runs in. Having said that, if you start early enough and remain injury-free, you should be able to do both.

Hope that helps.