Sat 30th April 2005

Comments

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Back from 10 days away.

Ankle I think is now runable on, I will soon find out later when I attemp a 3m easy run. Before I make a decision about racing on Monday 5m).

Whilst away also got a good bout of cold and mouth ulcers - putting it all down to London. Aim now is to bounce bace back, get some PB's and go for an Autumn Marathon.

Enjoy:-)
  • Did 11 miles instead of 20 - there were so many flies around my favourite route that I ran faster than I planned just to get away from them. Too fast to keep it up any further!
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    morning,

what: 3 miles easy
    why: recovery

first long run since flm tomorrow to check legs' response to lots of recovery
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the training thread Paul! I think alan must have got lost as I've still not seen a post from him!:o)

Mouth ulcers sound nasty RFJ. London must have taken a lot out of you. Good to see a positive approach though and that your ankle is feeling better. Good luck with the run!

I'm just hanging about waiting to go swimming. Not long now.

Then out for a meal tonight, so much for getting back to good eating habits!
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Miserable day in Leeds and I have had to miss the club handicap race to come to work :-(. I'm still behind because of missed work due to Podretta's broken arm.

What: 10 miles easyish p.m.
    Why: To enjoy some fresh air
    Last hard: FLM
    Last rest: Wednesday

Hi Paul - good to see you migrating from the sub-3:15 thread.
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    BT - thanks for the link. I'm starting pilates next week - prompted by back pain during Lochaber. Sounds great!
  • Thanks Paul as I did not get the right one first go still am here now. Hello peeps old and new.
  • Afternoon folks.

Nice sunny day here in Glasgow for a pleasant run along the canal.

What: 6.75 miles in 44.36 d&d
    Why: to keep the legs moving and to clear away the (slight) hangover...

Legs felt pretty heavy after yesterday's mile reps - no surprise really, also considering the 6 or 7 pints and chippy on the way home last night! But not too bad a pace...

Happy running/racing/recovery.
  • Hilly-Havent been about lately.After the terrible disapointment at London ive lost abit of heart for it all but i am down for the Bristol Half so hopefully i can pick myself up again in the next few weeks.

I did see you on the tv,you must of felt so proud.Well done again.
  • EmptyEmpty ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all

What: 4.7 miles @ 9:18 pace
    Why: To test out hamstring that caused problem last Saturday
    Last hard: Saturday (23rd)
    Last rest: Friday (enforced)

So far no after effects of this mornings run, which is good can plan next weeks training with aim to slowly build up distance and speed.

Mike T
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    sub (alan) glad you found your way!:o)

LLL, I can understand how disappointed you must have been. Have you analysed what went wrong? I'm glad you're now getting back into it and have a race lined up. You're a good runner and we all suffer bad days!

My sis in law taped the marathon and missed the first 10 mins, can you believe it!!! So I didn't get to see myself at the start:o(

Paul L, well done you your highest month total and good luck on your 21 tomorrow. I quite miss my long runs:o) Mind you I won't be without them for long as I've just entered New Forest Marathon on 18th Sept, which means I'll be back marathon training in June.

Had a good swim today. There was only 2 of us in the fast lane (not that I'm fast, but there's only 2 lanes-fast and slow and I'm too fast for the slow) so I managed to get a pretty good pace going and managed 1 mile-64 lengths. Not bad considering it's only my second swim since before London training. Will have to try and be consistent with it now
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Glad you didn't get any problems from your hamstring, Empty!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Back in from a easy run - no after effects (played with new toy a forerunner 101 4.92m in 38.05)

Decision - likely to race on Monday at the Great Weston 5m. (but not at full tilt)

Enjoy:-)
  • Hello

What: rest - just more swimming
    Why: travel day
    Last rest: 4 days ago!
    Last hard: Jan26
  • AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Afternoon,

What: am 3 x 3m @ 160-165 bpm
    Why: aerobioc conditioning
    Last hard: thursday
    Last rest: 35 days

Have a good one.
  • Afternoon,

5.4 miles done this morning. First 4 were fine, but 5th one (uphill) fell apart rather. Then was fine again for final 0.4. Running has been a bit of a struggle recently, but hoping things will pick up a bit before the Tewkesbury Half-Marathon in just over a week. Keep telling myself it's hard because I'm on the verge of a pace breakthrough! Maybe.
  • Morning all from a sunny but chilly western Canadian saturday morning.

Welcome to the newbies, this thread is an enjoyable daily read.

Welcome back SR.

Hope your back gets better soon WP.

Hope you had a great afternoon BR, although it's not looking too good at present, for Hull or the Blades.

Last evening's run was longer than I had planned as I had miscalculated my weekly mileage. So, I decided to run to the 7km marker on the river path and back. Although as you will see from my splits, the 7th km is a "long" km. The outward leg was also into a 20m/h headwind, anyway in order to log it here are my splits and avge HR for what was a "70% of WHR ~ 149 bpm" run:

(1) 4:22/141 (14) 4:33/148
    (2) 4:25/148 (13) 4:21/148
    (3) 4:38/151 (12) 4:25/148
    (4) 4:38/149 (11) 4:27/146
    (5) 4:34/150 (10) 4:20/149
    (6) 4:43/150 (9) 4:19/147
    (7) 5:08/150 (8) 5:01/147

You can see what I mean by the headwind and "long" 7th km.

But, overall I averaged 7m11s per mile pace at an avge of 148 bpm which I was happy with.

And that run rounded off a good month's running for me. It was the first month of consistent running training totalling ~120m and building up to 30 miles per week. Also, my "70% of WHR" pace seems to be consistently around 7m10s which is a big improvement from my runs in March.

Today: We're all off to a leisure centre for the day. They have a wave pool, slides, a lap pool, climbing wall, skating rink and gym all for $25 for the family. Then we're going out for a meal to celebrate Mrs CTM's birthday which was in the week.

Have a good bank holiday weekend and a special good luck to those running in my hometown half tomorrow. I have fond memories of finishing at the Don Valley Stadium in 1992, the first time I went under 1:30. Those were the days ;)

• Afternoon,

Still struggling to keep up with events on here, be glad when this assignment is handed in next week.

What:3 hours LSD

Why:Last long one before White Peak, taper starts here!

Last hard:today

Last rest:Yesterday

Hope everybody is ok, I'll catch up soon

• Welcome Paul & sub!

12 beautiful miles along a stretch of the Grand Union Canal in 1:26...glorious!!

177 miles for April...quite pleased with that given 6 days rest around Paris.

----
  • Afternoon all,

Big Hello to all the new people.

Sounds nice JGRM, which part of the canal do you run along? I'm pretty familiar with most of it between Ricky and Brentford/Little Venice.Nice and flat!

Don't want to gloat about the rugby, but Saints have stayed up despite losing, what a painful end to the season though.Shame, i used to like going up to watch Quins.

What- 9 mile route through the woods(usable again),pleasing effort,it took 57 mins,so a slight offering of good form again.

Why- Resuming 'normal' routine after FLM.

Last Hard- 1 day

Last rest- 2 days.

Received my info for the LDWA thing i'm doing next week this morning, looks like it should be a lovely route.Most importantly, they have cake at the checkpoints which is motivation in itself.In these events its almost considered bad form to attempt to run quickly, so it'll be a good old social trot, only 20 miles too!

Good luck to all our racers over the weekend.JD- Are you running at Shinfield in the end?
  • Oh yeah, 213 miles for April, its a shorter month isn't it? Like others, i'm more than pleased with that given the inconvenience of running a marathon in the middle.Still on my 50 mile plus weekly average though.
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hello to new joiners.

Was a bit cool at Trent Park today. Now its far more pleasant - just right for an evening dinner party with friends!

Alehouse: Make that mental strength building :)

WelshPoppy: Have been in your situation before. Please seek further medical advise - please!

Speedie: We're only mortals.

Banana Split: 20 maras? Wow! See you at Cardiff.

BigTim: I wish I read a Pillates article last April. Then I would have been running six months ago. And if I had read that article when I started running in 2003, then I would not have been injured in the first place. Even if you think you don't need Pillates - you do.

heebiejeebie: I marshalled the kids handicap race today. Wore a bright yellow marshall's vest. Attracted every flying insect for miles. Arms wind-milling around the kids must've thought I was mad.

JohnDouglas: Point is I should not be running midfoot in clunky trainers. It was only a quick test to see if FLM recovery period was over. Seems like it is :)

May not be able to post so I thinks JARS got the lyrics. Specials with "Ain't what you do its the way that you do it".

• Afternoon,

Anders, pleased you're about discover the delights of the LDWA cake tables!

BR, how did you get on at the flm?

BT, nice to be back! What's next on your list?

Hilly, I had a private session with a Pilates teacher which my physio has recommended. Will get to regular classes once we move house but I agree you'd be better with a class because the posture & movements are so subtle it's really hard to know if you're doing it right.

Chip, sounds like you;ve got a nice day lined up.

Report from Coniston fell race: this is a 9 mile/3500 ft ascent horseshoe taking in Wetherlam, Swirl How and the Old Man. The weather brightened up a little but we werre in cloud/light drizzle from Wetherlam onwards. I'd been concerned about the state of my Walshs which were all but fallen apart, but fortunately Pete Blands mobile van was there with the right size in stock. Very glad since the terrain was very slippy and the rocks greasy; saw several people take a tumble on very unforgiving ground.
    215 runners, started in my trademark last position and thought about something else whilst slogging up to the top of Wetherlam, forgot to stop my watch. It always takes me ages to warm up properly but here I was rewarded by a welcome endorphin kick flying down Wetherlam before abruptly changing gear to scramble up Swirl How (1.12) over wet rock.That was most of the ascent out of the way and running down and along the ridge to the Old Man (1.34) was great for the most part, lost a couple of minutes keeping too low but visibility was too poor to judge it better without the compass which I couldn't be bothered to dig out. The descent off the Old Man is hair raising; it's a free descent but no easy way to run down, the choice being either slipping down over steep & broken quarry slates, or pick a trecherous even steeper route down the grass/rock to the right. Lots of people falling over here. Then the final section flying along and feeling absolutely brilliant; realised that my gloomy forecast of 3 hrs was way out and made an effort to get in under 2 which I did, just, 1.58, section from the Old man to the finish 24 minutes. Results revealed 175/215, 15/26 lady which sober benchmark shows how much harder I should be working!! But still pleased with my time. Winning time, erm, 1.11. Excellent cake stall as well.

Hope everyone's feeling as good running as I did today. :)

• Afternoon,

SR, sounds like fun! Good to see you back on the thread again.

Hi to Paul and Sub, you'll like it here I'm sure!

What: 40 mile bike ride
    Why: something to do ;-)
    Last Hard: Lochaber last weekend
    Last Rest: (from running, today, from anything, thursday)

Debbo, did you see this months magazine, there's an article/training plan on triathlon.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Evening all & thanks for all the birthday wishes yesterday.

Scar Face, great to see you posting again and well done for your race today. I see you still like your cakes!

WP, you have my sympathies as it does sound excruciatingly painful.

JD, you're not having much luck with injuries. Hope it clears up soon.

Haven't done much today as we went to Ripon last night for my birthday "treat" and only just got back. I can highly recommend the Old Deanery in Ripon for excellent food. The fish menu on a Friday night is to die for!

Was wanting to do the Sheffield 1/2 tomorrow, however my son's first hockey match is more important.
  • Quick report from the LICC meeting. Copthall Stadium, North London, great weather for a track meeting. Did the mixed 3000m, minor delay so did a few more strides. Had to line up against club mate who has 8:35ish PB *argh*. Three girls in the heat, we notice a Grace Kelly look-alike seven in total. Was just about to set watch: Memory Full! GREAT! Don't know on top of my head how to clear it, so &*:! ^%! Bang, Grace Kelly starts to fast, I run behind her, three other runners are sub 10 min runner, so don't worry about them and run my own race. Everybody runs their own race and try to focus to run the first 1000m not too quick. First 200m, 39s, 400m around 80s, sweet! Didn't want to make the mistake to start too fast, then later on 4:02 at 1200m, after 3 laps I pass Grace Kelly and surge away very "comfy". With 3 laps to go thought it's possibly just about time to "squeeze the toothpase" a bit more
    :) One lap to go and it still should the big 8 on the clock. What's going on? Gradually increased during last lap, and coming on
    home stretch 9:56,57 etc. eventually I got 10:05.07. Well, that is a PB by more than 13 seconds. Very pleased, didn't know it was
    going so well. All my club mates told me I am bit crazy, having done a 5k the day before ("oh that helps") and done 1h very easy today ("shouldn't you be resting?"). Guess the old rule applies: "if it works for you". PB is a PB. In a 2-3 weeks there is another 3000m, maybe then I can have a serious go at the 10 minutes border. Today legs felt okay for the first time, all the weeks before I felt the treatment or tight hamstrings.
  • nrg-b, I'm thinking along those lines myself!

SR, pass my LSSM exam & then the sub 2:40 in Amsterdam :-) so a quite year really!
    Cakes, now thats sounds tempting!!!

URR, your'll go sub 10min

Hilly fartlek for me this afternoon, felt good & strong.
    233 miles for me in April, so not so bad & enough to maintain fitness :-)

hilly, I may use the New Forest 1/2 in my marathon training again this year so will give you a cheer!!!
  • SR - FLM was a nightmare - 2:51 - other things going on in life.

Chip - gutted, but never mind - we're promoted and they're not. They did play very very well though.

RFJ - your easy run pace is quicker than mine!

URR - 5k then 3k - is there a marathon you can jump into tomorrow as well?
  • URR:

Nice race once again, your surely go under 10mins at some point this season!

I ran a steady 5-mile route today, easing back ready for race on Monday, supposed to have done 8mm, think it was more like 7:45mm as I completed the route in around 37mins! Felt so awkward running that slow though compared to what I have been doing.

Tommorow its an early 3miles at 8mm pace,then spending the day down the coast!
  • Great going URR - and what was Grace Kelly's time? Sometimes helps to have guys and girls in a race sometimes.