Options

La Rochelle Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Oh dear Moooog, sorry to hear about the shin. Ice and ibuprofen in case of inflamation and perhaps alternate arnica cream or homeopathic pips in case it's just bruised. Fingers crossed it continues to get better.

I'm on a real go slow this week. Ran v slowly for an hour on Sunday and done nothing since. Will probably do 3-4 miles tomorrow and Thursday and that'll probably be it for me. Worried that it's going to be really cold on Sunday. Paris has been 0° first thing all week. Might have to pop out to Planet Jogging tomorrow for something warm and trendy for the race. :)
  • Options
    Cheers Rach - have been applying ice and ibuprofen sporadically.

I've been thinking about the cold too - I thought that L.R. was supposed to be warmer than the UK - that's why I opted for this marathon!! I'm tempted to wear an old sweatshirt and then bin it if I get too warm (have been wearing a sweatshirt for most of my training of late although it's pretty heavy, especially when damp). Trendy-ness is out the window for me - personally I find it hard to be trendy when absolutely exhausted, beetroot-faced and sweaty after a long run. (well OK, actually I find it hard to be trendy - period!)
  • Options
    good luck to everyone doing this at the weekend - sounds like a nice one to do, and did contemplate it myself when at the Paris 'thon Expo this year, but then I thought, nah - why do two marathons in a month when I should be concentrating on doing the Chrimbo shopping.

still, with the Queen of the Shoppers making her way down from Paris for this, perhaps you will make some time to indulge in some retail therapy! :)
  • Options
    There's bound to be something at the Expo that'll catch my eye Snoop!! :)

Moooog, fancied getting a nice warmish top to race in. I've got some cool stuff for racing in the summer but only own manky looking fleeces for cold runs. I'll be beetroot-faced too so need a little something to improve my appearance in the race piccies! :)
  • Options
    Oh and I forgot to include: "with sticky sports drink splashed all over my face in multiple failed attempts to find my mouth whilst on the move."

I've only just discovered 'technical' T-shirts this year - a god-send, tho probably not especially useful for this time of year. However, arn't you supposed to test your running gear before the main event?
  • Options
    Hi Tiger2

I'll be flying with Ryanair on Saturday too (from Stanstead). I'm guessing there'll be a good few runners on that flight (which seems to be full now by the way - had a look on the website to see how much the tickets were going for so close to the day to see if I'd been ripped off with my 39p flights...)
  • Options
    Yes Moooog, organised people do test their running gear before the main event!!
  • Options
    Ahhh yes - organised! Hmmm...let me see now...yes, I believe I've come across that word somewhere before...!

Am having serious trouble concentrating at work this week (highlighted by the fact that I've posted more comments in the last couple of days than in the the previous 3 years). Sorry Mr Boss man!
  • Options
    Just three days to go! How's everyone feeling? I'm a bit coldy thanks to my daughter and the whole floor at work coming down with the flu!! Bingeing on fruit and echinacea though and will be good for Sunday!

Still haven't found the time to go winter top shopping yet!
  • Options
    Looks like I'm not going to make the start line :-(
    Tried a 2 mile jog yesterday and shin was hurting within 50 metres. Have an appointment to see the doc. Think there maybe a possibility that I've got a stress fracture - but hopefully that's just paranoia kicking in after reading too much on the web.

Hope everyone else is having more success!!
  • Options
    Oh no Moooog, sorry to hear it. I hope the doctor comes up with a solution but if not, take it easy and get better for the next one. :(
  • Options
    Cheers. At least I'll still have a weekend away (even if I have to put up with lots adrenaline pumped runners all over town).

Having said that, if anyone is in dire need need of accomodation and a flight from Stansted - I don't know how easy (if at all) it would be to transfer my reservations...
  • Options
    Hope the echinnacea and fruit does the trick Rach. More importantly hope you find the time to go 'top' shopping.
    Moooog - hope all goes well with your shin.

I haven't run since Sunday as I have pulled a muscle in my lower back. Went to see a physio yesterday and have another appointment before I leave for La Roch. So at moment am off work, resting, icing, stretching (gently) and taking as many painkillers as is possible. Other than that I feel great!

Am desperate to make the starting line on Sunday, so hope to see some of you there.
  • Options
    Crikey, is everyone suffering? I thought all the injuries/ailments/colds etc were supposed to be as a result of running a marathon - not in the week before!

Hope your back holds out during the big day Daisy D.

I'm guessing everyone will be giving you a wide berth at the start line Rach! Perhaps that's a good tactic - a couple of pre-starting gun sneezes should guarantee you a clear path!! Hope it clears up by sunday tho.

Is anyone still going to be around on the monday?
  • Options
    Oh dear, we do seem to be falling apart rather!!

Catching the 6pm train back to Paris on the Sunday Moooog. Got to be around to take my girl to school first thing Monday. Best leave plenty of time for that particular walk!
  • Options
    I seem to remember after my last marathon (about 18 months ago now) that walking was near impossible (could just about manage level walking in a John Wayne saddle-sore type way, but that cycling was no problem. Perhaps that'll be an easier way for the school run?
  • Options
    I dragged my poor knackered body from my hotel to Waterloo and back to Paris the day after FLM this year. I seem to remember having quite a jolly night after the race too! ;) So should be able to do the 1km to school... might take rather a long time though!

You hanging around in La R for a few days then Moooog?
  • Options
    Yeah, the British package deal was 'in on Saturday and out on Tuesday' - which seemed like a good idea at the time. Meant I could have an easy Monday crawling around the town after a nice long lie-in basking in my intended glory!

Still all is not lost, people tell me LR is very nice and worthy of a visit in it's own right anyway!
  • Options
    Yes it's supposed to be lovely, although this is probably not the best season to visit!

Looks like it'll reach about 8° on Sunday. Wonder what it'll be like in the morning.

• Options
    Blimey, this forum's sounding more like a scene from Casualty!

I hope you all recover from your varies, colds, aches and pains and get to the start line on Sunday. I won't be racing with you, but will be cheering you all along the way - so very good luck one and all!

Rach, I seem to remember having a jolly night after FLM too!! ;)

• Options
    Tut tut Guy. You never know who is looking......

Rach, I've had a bet with Ladbrokes on you to win this race.

Good luck all.....
  • Options
    I'll do my best for you then Coops darling!

That FLM is just such a fun event isn't it?!! :))
  • Options
    If you don't win, I'll be getting my whip out.
  • Options
    Arrrggghhhhhh!

Some Asics Nimbus trainers I'd forgotten I'd ordered last week have just been delivered to my work. Talk about rubbing it in!!!
  • Options
    Ta Coops, that's my excuse for a bad result nicely lined up! ;)

Poor Moooog.....
  • Options
    Rach - hehe. Monsieur Whiplash is the name.
  • Options
    Hail Hail

Just popped in to say "Good Luck" to Rachy-poo. And all the rest doing LaR.
  • Options
    so what just DID happen that was SO jolly, after you deserted me, IMMEDIATELY after FLM finished, after I nursed you through 26.2 miles of sweat and toil?

Graphic details in full, plse.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, according to my friends in France, it's going to be raining on and off on Sunday, it's going to be a freezing morning too.Never mind I can't wait to get this marathon over.I hope I'll do it less than 5hrs! Am flying from stanstead,.I could be wearing a red sport windproof jacket, if you see me, then come forward. Bonne chance a tous.
  • Options
    Hi there Tiger2, a few of us have swapped mobile numbers to try to meet up at the expo or for celebratory drinkies after the event or something. Drop me a line if you'd like my number as your email notification is off.

Now Snoopy-doop you know just what happened. We got split up having to go different sides of the baggage reclaim truck and then just got lost. Didn't desert you at all my sweet!!