Graham Sykes 10k

Is there a thread going on this already? If so can someone boing me in? Thinking of doing it but last year's assessments aren't very flattering.

Comments

• Hi Lts. I am doing this one and hubby is too.
    I haven't done it before but I think that it is 2 laps past the sea front with a slight incline on the way back into town.
    I don't know about it's potential for a pb though.
    I doubt I shall get another pb this year. Best time was a couple of weeks ago at Ivybridge and I just can't imagine getting any where near that again - ever!

Hopefully it won't be so windy that day either!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LTS - quite a few of the girls in my group ran this last year, they loved it.

What were the complaints re last year?

PS - I enjoyed it, I sat on the grass and ate a bacon sandwich!!
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Race seemed fine to me when I did it a couple of years ago. May do it again this year.

Must be a quicker course than Ivybridge as there are no hills to speak of, although I also did a PB there...
  • Complaints I heard were insufficient marshalls in the middle section and loads of traffic, a marshall who sent some people the wrong way and not enough medium T shirts for the slower runners who came in a bit later.
    I'm still going to do the race though. I used to live in Exmouth and teach at the comp so it will be a nostalgic run.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nearly every race runs out of the smaller t-shirts after most of the field have finished, very annoying, happened at GWR this year too.
    I didn't hear anything about the marshalling, probably didn't affect my girls as they nearly all did PB's.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think the start time is earlier this year to try and avoid the heavier traffic.
  • Blimey - yes I've just looked. 09 30.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Early isn't it, I'm staying at Princetown Sat night so am hoping my B & B will do an early brekkie so I can get down to Exmouth to watch the start of the race.
  • I hope we don't have a heat wave (like it has been predicted). Last years Dartmoor vale races started early and I was boiling before I even started running.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I hope we don't have that heatwave either, I'm doing Dartmoor Discovery on the Sat.
    semit - I entered on the day for Dartmoor Vale last year & did the 10K because it was so hot. The 10K was fine, but I did feel for the marathon runners. Doing the marathon this year, so I'm hoping for a cool mid June.

Shades - Good luck with Dartmoor Vale, must do it myself one year...
  • Shades: Princetown?...ah you haven't got yourself locked up again have you *lol*
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    90m - slip of the keyboard there, I think you mean Discovery! My favourite race.

Nik - they won't let me in the prison, i've tried! had to book in B & B at one of the pubs.
  • 90 mins - The race course sprinklers were on at the end of the 10k, I made sure I ran through those, it was bliss for a few seconds!

Shades - Good luck with the Discovery.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks semit, just hope the weather is going to be OK.

I'll be at the finish of this 10k cheering you all in.
  • Shades: should have let me know I could have arranged something *lol*
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks but no thanks Nik!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    does anyone know if there are still places available?
  • I was thinking of entering on the day so ditto Shades query. Bit of a long trek up from Plymouth if no places left.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    one of the girls in my WRN group phoned earlier in the week, RO said no problem about entering on the day.
  • Excellent! Thanks for that Shades!
    Back from Disneyland Paris late yesterday evening, will be entering on the day tomorrow.

Hope my Micky Mouse Training does the trick!
  • Extra points to anyone who ran the full course today...

Although it is a well-organised race in many ways, Exmouth Harriers continue to have a poor course-briefing at the start and poorly postioned(instructed?) marshals.

The result of this is that runners are allowed (indeed almost encouraged) to take some pretty substantial shortcuts on pavements, particularly at the town centre end of the race.

This is exacerbated by it being a two-lap course, so the errors are doubled. Overall, many runners will have been 50m+ short of the full course.

The same happens at the Fulfords Five which uses part of the same course - Exmouth Harriers have been told, but don't seem to have the will to address it.

Like I said, well-organised in many ways, so it seems a shame to let this spoil it...
    milkman - The way these courses are measured includes an allowance for curb hopping, so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it! Thought the briefing was fine & marshalling a lot better than many races I've done. (No, I'm not a member of Exmouth Harriers!)

Enjoyed my race, negative split & a new PB!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    90m - well done on your PB, and you made it look so easy.
  • Yes, 90mins, I agree.

I also got a PB today, which takes over from last month's PB at Ivybridge.

Hence entries going in for Dartmoor Vale 10k and Totnes 10k!
  • Well done 90m, I too got a PB with near perfect 50:50 splits. The glorious refreshing rain certainly helped.

I am a member of Exmouth Harriers (although only recent). I am not too sure about how the course is officially measured, so cannot comment if people cut corners or not.

As far as the start is concerned, for a small race such as this it seemed as good or better than others that I have attended, although I always think its a good idea to have a megaphone to address those at the back of the pack.

I am a bit of a loss at what is expected from marshalls, these people have given up their Sunday mornings free of charge to aid the smooth running of a race. I dont think I would have the nerve to criticise any marshall unless they were directly rude to me.

One example of what some seem to expect from marshalls is typified by the following comments on them from a race I entered in May.

"the marshalls were basically standing around with their arms out directing you as opposed to cajoling you/ giving witty one liners which I would prefer"

I ask you standing, giving directions what the heck is that got to do with marshalling? Shame on them, withdraw their Equity card prompto.

• The "short course correction" allowance referred to is 10m for a 10k - it is intended to allow for measuring discrepancies rather than runners' shortcuts! Ho hum, suppose it depends if you want a pb for 10k or 9.95k....
  • The official course measurer will take his Jones counter (calibrated bicycle wheel) around the shortest course that the runners can reasonably take. This might include pavement, but he would also take into account written instructions (if any) for marshals and any cone-ing off of junctions etc.

Congrats on your 10K pbs last lap, Seabird & 90.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Good day for my WRN group too. They loved this race and the rain was a bonus. Nine girls ran, 6 achieved PB's, 2 Vet's prizes and a team prize too. (Nearly as many prizes as the Trotter's!)