London Duathlon 2005

Comments

• Poor you Munch. Good luck and hope you can make it!
  • Does anyone know how they've assigned start times? I would guess it's fastest first, but I seem have got a 9.25 start and I'm not sure that a finish in the top 25% is really going to be on the cards. So I'm a bit worried I'm either going to go off way too quick from trying to pace others in my start, or I'm just going to be getting overtaken constantly.

I'm aiming for finishing just under 2 hours. What start times/expected finish times are others looking at?
  • ML - what a nightmare - but ice it as oppposed to deep heat it...

have a start time of 9:05... so hopefully a clearish run and firts lap of the cycle... then who knows!!

Am getting very nervous about the bike section, but am going to just try and go with the flow and see what happens... in fact I can almost guarantee that actually on the day it will be the run that I struggle with!!
  • I have a 9.00 start and I am definitely not one of the fastest. You did not have to give a predicted finish time on entry so how would the organisers differentiate the fast from the slow?
  • RD - they can't so it could end up being a huge pile up around the park! They also didn't ask for age or sex, so who knows what is going to happen!!
  • I couldn't remember whether I'd put down a finish time or not. I feel slightly better now, though a huge pile up half-way round the park doesn't exactly sound like fun
  • I don't know... if you time it right you could end up with a better bike than the one you started with!!
  • I guess the start times were divided by entry order. The divisions are given on the website at: http://www.thelondonduathlon.com/Pages/raceinfo.htm

This also gives you an idea of the number of entries...

I'm off at 9:15-9:20 and sadly done not a lot of training - my strategy is as follows:

go very easy on the first run, eg 1 hour, then go hard on the bike and just survive the 5k at a limping shuffle.

Also, due to lack of training, I'm going to have to consume calories quite a bit, so I'm loading the bike with 750ml of energy drink to see me though, and will probably take a gel on the run ... after I find out if they have water on the route...
  • Chris - I think that there are 3 water stations on the run route, I know that there are def some out there, but the number I just quoted is wrong.

Fuel strategy is going to be an interesting one...
  • My only concern at the moment is getting to the end of that 10k with legs in a bad state - last 10k I ran was hell on earth and really hard. There is the risk that a hard run will lead to cramps as soon as you start pedalling, so I'll probably ride easy until the top of the first hill, then recover and turn up the heat - I've been doing much more riding in recent weeks than anything else.

I'm off to calculate the energy I might might need, although with a reletively short event, its not so critical to feed well
  • I am also starting at 9.15!!
    Intend to go very slow on the run as I had a really bad 10k the last one too Chris
    Am taking a couple of energy bars to eat as well as gels. I know I will need one before I get to the bike so will try and get some of it down me before I go into transition. And I will take gels as I need them with the water they have on offer

I am hoping the weather stays as is forecast as it sounds ideal!!

Good luck everyone
  • As this is only tomorrow (wibble) I thought that I would put together a list of what I have gleamed as to when everyone is starting etc!

9am
    Richard Davies

9:05am
    Spans 170(I think!)
    Godzilla

9:15am
    Rio Fair
    Chris from TT

9:25am
    Leo M

9:50am
    Susie Bee 1110

Fun(?) distance
    Munch Lunch

Good Luck everyone!
  • Richard Davies

Spans 170(I think!)
    Godzilla

Rio Fair
    Chris from TT

Leo M

Susie Bee 1110

Fun(?) distance
    Munch Lunch
    Mackem (about 1:10?)
  • ...and good luck from me too.

Recovering from a wine-fuelled break in Brittany and a head cold but will give it my best shot.
  • Good luck folks - look out for the pirate
  • Well i'm still hoping that my knee recovers in time so i've put down my start time just in case. If not, i'll be still there cheering people on and taking snaps.. :-)

Good luck all

Spans 170(I think!)
    Godzilla

Rio Fair
    Chris from TT

Leo M

Susie Bee 1110

Fun(?) distance
    Munch Lunch 2381 (1:15pm)
  • Good luck folks

Spans 178
    Godzilla 174

Rio Fair
    Chris from TT

Leo M

Susie Bee 1110

Fun(?) distance
  • sorry richard

9am
    Richard Davies

Spans 178
    Godzilla 174

Rio Fair
    Chris from TT

Leo M

Susie Bee 1110

Fun(?) distance
  • Good luck guys - make us proud !
  • Oh well, the knee injury won the day so i was unable to start my race :-( Well, i suppose it was always going to be a long shot....

But got some shots of Zilla and Spans in their pirate gear doing the race which i'm currently uploading. Will post the link later today.
  • Just got back after the shorter distance. Wow! What a well organised, friendly event. Everything about it was top class - that's obviously why it cost so much. Only criticism was water stations for the Fun run, which seemed to be staffed by people who were bored after the Challenge event. So we had to help ourselves to water or - on the last station/last lap there weren't even any cups out. Everyone else though bent over backwards to be friendly and helpful, as were all the competitors I talked to.

Interesting to note (as it was my first duathlon) that the average age was far lower than most running races. I felt old - something I never think about in normal races.

Very happy with my time - which was 67:09 by my watch. I think I'll be up for the challenge next year ;-)
  • ML -great photos, thanks!

Mackhem - glad you had a good time, I agree with everything you said about the organisation, it was a great event and definitley one to do again and recommend. Pricey as is everything else in London but worth it.

I managed to finish in way under my 2:20 prediction. Mainly due to my first run being alot better than I thought it would be, even though it was 11km rather than 10k...

Just recieved text with my results:
    run: 54.17
    t1: 2.30
    cycle: 48:27
    t2: 2.02
    run2: 26.52
    total: 2.14.08
    position 707
  • How did Spans get a pirate kit so quickly?
  • if you look at the photos you will see that it is far too big for me...!!!

Well i think that that was fun, being so well organised took away the element of worry so I just had to keep my concentration and race! I had a good first run, a good for me cycle (but bad in comparison) and an excellent final run leg in which I got a new 5k pb! The 10k run being longer than 10k by just over a km was a bit of a shock to the system at first, but all in all it was good...

I haven't yet recieved a text with my time, but as recorded by me I did the first 10k of the run in 38:27, total to bike 43:10 / the cycle including the rest of t1 and t2 in 50:48 and the final run in 18:32... total time 1:52:32.

Who knows where that will place me, but it was kind of fun being the 1st lady to finsih the run and the 2nd lady (after a sprint finsih) to cross the finsih line... but due to the staggered start that probably meant nothing...
  • Hey great racing Spans and looking good in the pics too. Must have been that watch I reckon. ;-)

Nice day for it too !
    <mutter mutter grumble>
  • Results are up!

Overall I was 151st and approx 7th lady (it is a little difficult to work out due to no sex being given).

Numbers in brackets are overall positions in each leg.

R1 42:57 (76th)
    T1 1:09
    Bike 48:49 (576th)
    T2 00:56
    Run2 18:32 (39th)

Having been 3rd/4th fastest lady on run1 and fastest lady on run2 it is not difficult to work out where my weakness is!!

• LOL and thanks cougie...can i count myself as a pirate now?!?!

and thanks again to Munch for the piccie taking.
  • Results are where Spans?